HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #62561  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2025, 10:53 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,655


There's an interesting pictorial of Huddle Restaurants at https://www.ultraswank.net/eatable/huddle-restaurants-googie-symbol-of-california/
     
     
  #62562  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2025, 11:25 PM
Beaudry's Avatar
Beaudry Beaudry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 725
Hey y'all! We've seen a ton of Arnold Hylen pictures on these pages in the last sixteen years...he's an incredibly important chronicler of noirish Los Angeles.

Soooo, you're probably familiar with his book Los Angeles Before the Freeways, and may even own a copy.

Well, it's a tough book to find, so I thought I'd put out a new version. Check it out!

https://bunkerhilllosangeles.com/2025/03/01/huge-news-new-book-los-angeles-before-the-freeways/





More information can be had here

https://acp.lapl.org/book/los-angeles-before-the-freeways/
     
     
  #62563  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2025, 4:03 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
.


The book looks beautiful, Beaudry. ..Thanks for the heads up and the LINK

.
     
     
  #62564  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2025, 6:54 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
.
Angel's Flight!

In 1996 when Angel's Flight was preparing it's Grand Reopening, I and a couple friends decided to attend the festivities. Part of that reasoning was that we'd also get to ride it, but on that day it was not open for the general public to ride. We'd have to wait. Over the years since, and that's been a long time now, 29 years, every time I was downtown and had the opportunity, it was either shut down; being repaired, or whatever. The most disappointing "or whatever" time was in 2004 when a friend and I were a team that completed in the first ever Race/LA. This was patterned on The Amazing Race series, where teams of two had to travel throughout various L.A. areas and perform some task and then get clues to the next location. We started out in a park area around Lake Hollywood and the first destination was to the County Museum. There were locations in Hollywood and Chinatown, where we had to eat something in a bakery, Olvera Street was visited and such; the L.A. Library where we had to find some information in a specific book. Then one clue had us traveling to Angel's Flight on South Hill where we were to ride it to the top and then move on from there! The ticket for it was in the clue. When teams got to Angel's Flight...you guessed it...it wasn't working. So we were instructed to walk up the staircase beside it. Ugh! We also had to ride the subway to Union Station, we had to retrieve something in a locker in a museum near USC before heading to the Coliseum where the finish line was! My friend and I WON! First place!

I was thinking about all that on Monday this week and around noon on this first really comfortable day of weather L.A.'s had this year, I thought, why don't you do something? Why not go downtown and visit Angel's Flight? Why not? So I did. I took a bus to the Metro (subway) in Hollywood and then got off at the Pershing Square stop which is located under Hill Street between 4th and 5th Street. Turns out when I got above ground I happened to be at the corner where I could see Angels Flight on Hill Street in the distance! So I walked about a block and a half and there I was at the entrance where two tourists were standing talking in French, I believe, looking up the tracks to Grand Avenue and the plaza. The sign there said you could enter and sit in the car and you'd get the tickets at the top.

At long last I was riding Angel's Flight! It's such a short trip that you want to stay seated in there for much longer! At the top I bought the souvenir round trip ticket from the lady in the booth. I told her about my experience of having missed this for so many years. She told me she was going to keep my ticket in tact and not take off the two stubs on the side, one for each trip on the car.

I took a walk around the plaza area and viewed the city and the people milling about before making my way back to Angel's Flight for the trip back down to Hill Street. The return trip had a full car of people in it!!! As I exited I wondered if I should do it again, but did not.

I decided then to walk the short distance to the Biltmore Hotel. The Biltmore Bar had opened within the last hour. I'd been there a couple times previously over the years. I sat at the bar; the bartender's name was Rommel. (!) I'd wanted to try their Black Dahlia cocktail on the menu. It's made with vodka, Chambourd and Kalua with an orange peel garnish. I also got an appetizer to eat. There were people there having lively conversations; a pianist playing some nice background music. In a rather historic setting with the art deco surroundings and photos from the past of the Biltmore's history, a TV above the bar seemed out of place, so I chose to sit where I wouldn't see it and enjoy everything else about the place.

When leaving I walked down the hallway and reviewed some of the artwork and photographs adorning the walls. I walked by several people who were looking at something on the wall and I heard a man say...like "they don't know who did it" and looking in that direction I saw they were in front of a portrait of Elizabeth Short. As I passed I said, "I just had a cocktail named after her. "Really?" the man said. I replied, "They have it the bar; the Black Dahlia cocktail." I kept passing and heard him say, "well how was it?" I told him I liked it, but it was a little too sweet.

It was dark as I emerged from the Biltmore onto the street and walked past the Pershing Square park to the subway, wishing the park was like it used to be back in the day and satisfied that I had finally met and ridden Angel's Flight.

By the way, I rode Olivet to the top and Sinai on the way down!
     
     
  #62565  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 2:38 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
Thumbs up


THANKS so much for sharing your experience, Martin Pal....Do you have any photographs of when you were on Race/LA? I've never heard of it before.



This videos shows 50 or so scenes from movies that Angel's Flight has appeared in. Sadly, there's no sound.

• Video Link


It would be fun to dissect some of the scenes.

Oh, and a big thanks to the person who compiled the scenes. It's much appreciated.

He (William Campbell) even included a list of the scenes!




.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2025 at 3:03 AM.
     
     
  #62566  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 2:55 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
oops

I'm going to move the list up to my previous post so no one misses it.

Yes, your lord and savior made a boo boo. ;-)
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2025 at 3:06 AM.
     
     
  #62567  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 3:32 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 520
In 2023 e_r posted an amazing shot taken at a dinner dance at the Biltmore taken in 1940 which can be seen here. Scott Charles and I noted that it reminded us of the shot at the end of The Shining and Scott posted this photo.



Recently, through “many hours of hard brute force effort” sleuths found the original photo that was used along with some Hollywood trickery to create the shot. It turns out the photo was actually taken in London at the Royal Palace Hotel in 1921.
The story is here:https://petapixel.com/2025/04/08/the-ori...s-in-the-shining-has-finally-been-found/


From the article:


I know this has drifted off topic of L.A. noir but I found it interesting. Someone else did some sleuthing similar to what goes on here and the story did kind of start at the Biltmore in 1940.

Last edited by Bristolian; Apr 11, 2025 at 5:31 AM.
     
     
  #62568  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 4:52 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Recently, through “many hours of hard brute force effort” sleuths found the original photo that was used along with some Hollywood trickery to create the shot. It turns out the photo was actually taken in London at the Royal Palace Hotel in 1921.

The story is here:https://petapixel.com/2025/04/08/the-original-stock-photo-that-appears-in-the-shining-has-finally-been-found/

As a bit of a Stanley Kubrick fanatic, I've read several different versions of this story over the last few days. Sadly, every article I've read all seem to contain the same error.



It is incorrect to state that the photo has “finally” been found, and it is also incorrect to state that the photo has been “lost” until now.

Dedicated fans of The Shining have known about the original, sans-Nicholson version of the photo for no less than forty years. The image was first published in the 1985 book The Complete Airbrushing and Photo-Retouching Manual, just five years after the movie was released:



Fans of The Shining have long since identified the man featured at the front of the photo, and a number of the other revelers have been identified as well. What we didn't know until now was the exact date and location of the original photo.

So what has happened here is not that the photo has been found, but rather that the when and where of the photo has been identified.

Being as we are a forum of people dedicated to discovering the when and where of old photos, I'd say there's quite a difference between learning the backstory of a photo as opposed to seeing the photo for the first time ever (which is what all of these articles seem to be implying).
     
     
  #62569  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 8:48 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
All that is really interesting. Thanks guys.


I've been going through files on one of my old computers & I keep coming across interesting items.

Like this one.

ethereal-reality file br1

Toggle my memory, have we ever discussed the locations of outdoor news stands in downtown Los Angeles?

.
     
     
  #62570  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2025, 11:48 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725


That looks like an alleyway.
     
     
  #62571  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2025, 12:20 AM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
THANKS so much for sharing your experience, Martin Pal....Do you have any photographs of when you were on Race/LA? I've never heard of it before..
_______________________________________________________________
Thanks, E_R! No pictures, though. Since it was the first one nothing was allowed to be used like computers and phones and they had monitors at each step of the way to keep track of things, especially since they had to make sure things went correctly the first time, so the people in charge were not taking photos either. There were a few on their website, but I went there to look, but there's an issue with the website today for some reason, though their Facebook page is working. They now have a prize of $500 (!) for the !st Place team, I see!
     
     
  #62572  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2025, 2:36 AM
rick m rick m is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 261
I am pretty sure this was on Sixth street between Hill and Broadway-- across from long gone Paramount/Metropolitan/Graumans theater-- Remnants still to be observed into early 1980s
     
     
  #62573  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2025, 6:15 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Toggle my memory, have we ever discussed the locations of outdoor news stands in downtown Los Angeles?
Back in the '80s and early '90s, I used to frequent a LOT of newsstands. I was a devotee of certain imported magazines, namely British photography and boxing mags, and sometimes I'd have to drive all over town just to find a copy.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any newsstands downtown, though as the photo above illustrates, they certainly did exist in the (more distant) past.

These are the outdoor newsstands I used to visit back in the '80s and '90s (it's quite possible that I might be forgetting a few). Many of them are long gone now, but you can still see their remaining vestiges on Google Street View:


________


Hollywood Blvd, at Cahuenga:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1011621,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

This was arguably the best newsstand in LA, and they were open 24 hours. The guy who worked the night shift was an older Polish American gentleman named Dave - he was a huge jazz fan, and we used to talk about jazz quite a bit. The best time was when he brought some of his old photographs to show me... including the photos of a younger version of himself presenting a bouquet of flowers in a backstage dressing room to Billie Holiday!


________


Hollywood Blvd, at Las Palmas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.101106,-..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Pico Blvd, at Robertson:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.053972,-..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Pico Blvd, at Parnell:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0435393,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0641275,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Victory Blvd, at Van Nuys:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1867161,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Van Nuys Blvd, at Ventura:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1505441,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Laurel Canyon Blvd, at Ventura:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1430412,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Fairfax Ave, just north of Melrose:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0845968,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D


________


Melbourne Ave, at Vermont (this one didn't show up until the late '90s, I'm not sure of the exact date, though):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1036196,..._ep=EgoyMDI1MDQwOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

________


Did I miss any outdoor newsstands, Noirishers?

Last edited by Scott Charles; Apr 11, 2025 at 6:25 PM.
     
     
  #62574  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2025, 10:58 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,655



LA Times, 10/17/1991

     
     
  #62575  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2025, 2:39 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
.
Good find, odinthor! Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Did I miss any outdoor newsstands, Noirishers?
Excellent list, Scott Charles. I know of only ONE outdoor newsstand that you missed.

Back in the 1980s when I lived on Hancock Ave. just off of Santa Monica Blvd. there was an outdoor newsstand along the side of the building on the northeast corner.

The blue rectangle is my bungalow and the red stretched out rectangle is where the outdoor newsstand was located.


GSV



Believe it or not my former bungalow is still there despite all the construction that has been going on between it and Santa Monica Blvd.



hmm. .it looks like it might have new siding placed over the wood....If it is (new siding) it better not be aluminum!

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 12, 2025 at 3:01 AM.
     
     
  #62576  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2025, 4:26 AM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Back in the '80s and early '90s, I used to frequent a LOT of newsstands. I was a devotee of certain imported magazines, namely British photography and boxing mags, and sometimes I'd have to drive all over town just to find a copy.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any newsstands downtown, though as the photo above illustrates, they certainly did exist in the (more distant) past.

These are the outdoor newsstands I used to visit back in the '80s and '90s (it's quite possible that I might be forgetting a few). Many of them are long gone now, but you can still see their remaining vestiges on Google Street View:


________

Did I miss any outdoor newsstands, Noirishers?

One of the best newsstands in Hollywood was on Whitley Avenue at Hollywood Boulevard. It was on the west side of the old Hollywood Market, which opened in 1929. I used to buy comic books there in the 1950s and 1960s. After the building was razed, House of Pies was built on the site. Today, it is a check cashing joint (6565 Hollywood Boulevard).
     
     
  #62577  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2025, 11:27 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post



LA Times, 10/17/1991

That's a comprehensive list, Odinthor!
  • The ones I highlighted in green, I already listed above.
  • The ones highlighted in yellow, I never knew about.
  • The ones highlighted in blue, I knew about, but forgot when responding to this thread.



The Daily Planet is still there, just down the street from me. How on Earth did I forget that one??

It's even more ridiculous that I forgot Melrose News - not only did I meet Robin Williams there, I also used to work at SOAP PLANT/WACKO - the store that the Melrose News stand is physically attached to!


joelfletcher.com

_er_ and BDiH, I've never known about the two newsstands you mentioned...
     
     
  #62578  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2025, 12:31 AM
riichkay riichkay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 403
For many years there was a newsstand on the side of this building at 11737 San Vicente Bl. in Brentwood, it was basically located where you see the green canopy (it's included in the list odinthor posted).....




When the building was remodeled for Whole Foods in 1999 the newsstand was moved to the parking area on the west side of the building, as seen above in a Dec. 2017 image.






The newsstand closed in 2018....I recall seeing Jerry Seinfeld, Gil Garcetti and many other notables browsing the racks there.
     
     
  #62579  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2025, 12:23 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,063
.

Here's something else I found on my old computer that I thought you all might like to see. ..(there's a good chance I posted it before but that might have been over10 years ago)




And here it is Super-Sized!..I like things BIG.


ethereal_reality file br1


I have a couple questions that you might help me with.


Where was the photographer when he took the photograph? (his vantage point if you will)

And any idea what's going on at bottom? ..I'd say they are either paving an existant parking lot or getting ready for new construction.

.
     
     
  #62580  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2025, 6:16 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Re: Newsstands!

No one, even the L.A. Times article, didn't mention the decades old newsstand at 8224 Sunset Blvd., across the way from the Chateau Marmont.

Yelp

LoopNet

It lasted until a year or two ago. It then was re-imagined as a -- Kiosk-O-Théque:

The Instagram announcement:

THERE’S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS - WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD BABY!

It’s the Oscar’s, it’s Sunset Boulevard, it’s the opening of our “KIOSK-O-THÈQUE” !

It’s a Newsstand, it’s a bookstore, it’s a record store, it’s a gallery, it’s a recording studio, it’s all things we love.

Live and direct from the street to your ears and I’m so very excited to have our friends @idea.ltd & @drinkghiajoining us on this adventure 💛

The grand opening is this Friday March 8th, 2024 from 6-9PM (ish) and you’re all invited!
8224 Sunset Blvd (right across from the Castle on Sunset @chateaumarmont )

We’ll be open Thurs - Sat, all programming will be announced here.

See you there!
____________________

Hollywood Reporter article about it a couple months later; link HERE.

The "creator" of this place indicates his lease is only for a year because the "landlord" wants to put a billboard there; like we need another billboard.
________________

And there was the Centerfold Newsstand on Fairfax Ave., north of Melrose. I don't know if it was open recently, but it was demolished a couple months ago.


VLA/Facebook
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.