HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 2:46 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I went to vote (1 Kingsway) and the line up was hundreds of people around three sides of the block. I waited a bit and it didn't move, it looked like a two hour wait so I left. This city is so unprepared, they don't care if people vote. Who are they kidding?
It’s a disgrace. And Peter Meizner wants to allow permanent residents to vote?! They can’t even handle Canadians trying to vote.
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 2:58 AM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It’s a disgrace. And Peter Meizner wants to allow permanent residents to vote?! They can’t even handle Canadians trying to vote.
Actually, Councillor Meiszner was the only one to express concern that the number of staff had been reduced drastically from the last byelection, when only 11% of those eligable voted (13,372), and staff were sitting around, twiddling their thumbs. Clearly turnout this time is much higher.

"In a January meeting, Vancouver councillors approved a staff motion that laid out the budget and staffing plans for the upcoming byelection.

In that meeting, city clerk Katrina Leckovic said around 250 workers would be hired for the byelection — a drop of 80 per cent from the 1,250 workers who staffed the 2017 byelection.

In addition, only 25 polling stations were set up for general voting day, down from 50 in 2017.

Councillors approved the plan from staff unanimously, with only Peter Meiszner expressing serious concerns about the large staffing drop.

"Why are we doing this? It seems like we're making it more difficult," he said at the time.

Leckovic said the large cuts to staffing would allow them to put more money into promoting mail-in voting.

Following an inquiry by CBC News, the City of Vancouver said there were approximately 265 staff in the field working the byelection, which included the additional 45 hired after advanced voting.

Overall, the city's budget for the byelection increased from $1.5 million in 2017 to $2 million for 2025
. [CBC]
__________________
Contemporary Vancouver development blog, https://changingcitybook.wordpress.com/ Then and now Vancouver blog https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 3:03 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It’s a disgrace. And Peter Meizner wants to allow permanent residents to vote?! They can’t even handle Canadians trying to vote.
As I edited in my post, there must be a lot of angry people if they are willing to wait for two hours or more. Here's a pic, you can only see a fraction of the line here, it winds all the way around to the other side on Kingsway, over 500 ft.

     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 3:18 AM
Lexus's Avatar
Lexus Lexus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Vancouver | BC | Canada
Posts: 2,852
I spent 50 minutes in total at Killarney Community Centre To cast my vote for ABC!
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 3:26 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I spent 50 minutes in total at Killarney Community Centre To cast my vote for ABC!
Based on how they ran this byelection I wouldn’t trust them with running a popsicle stand.
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 3:53 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,180
Much as I'd like to trash ABC, I remember the lineup for the 2022 election being just as long.

The really weird part is how voting for two councillors has just as much turnout as the actual mayoral race.
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 4:07 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Much as I'd like to trash ABC, I remember the lineup for the 2022 election being just as long.

The really weird part is how voting for two councillors has just as much turnout as the actual mayoral race.
Normally that would not bode well for the ruling party.
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 4:15 AM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Much as I'd like to trash ABC, I remember the lineup for the 2022 election being just as long.

The really weird part is how voting for two councillors has just as much turnout as the actual mayoral race.
It depends where. 2022 had no wait for me.

The last by-election barely anyone turned up.

This time it was an hour for me. My wife took 2.5 hrs.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 5:16 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
It depends where. 2022 had no wait for me.

The last by-election barely anyone turned up.

This time it was an hour for me. My wife took 2.5 hrs.
Yes, I had no wait voting in 2022. Today friends reported 1hr30 and 2hr35 on the West Side. After hearing that I drove to Carnegie and it took 45 minutes. That’s why I congratulated all who voted, no matter for what candidate, for their perseverance.
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 6:17 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,180
Figured I'd skip the line this time by voting in advance. Pfft, nope.

---

I know the results aren't final yet, but holy crap do people not like ABC.
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 6:21 AM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,324
Results finally appearing after 11pm. With half the voting places reporting, COPE and One City candidates look unassailable. Colleen Hardwick showing as a distant third, just ahead of the Green candidate. (ABC also had two candidates, apparently).
__________________
Contemporary Vancouver development blog, https://changingcitybook.wordpress.com/ Then and now Vancouver blog https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 6:28 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Results finally appearing after 11pm. With half the voting places reporting, COPE and One City candidates look unassailable. Colleen Hardwick showing as a distant third, just ahead of the Green candidate. (ABC also had two candidates, apparently).
As I said upthread, Sean Orr would bring a good left wing foil to council and Hardwick would have been a good one from the right of the spectrum. The OneCity candidate came across as just another bike lobby shill. We had enough of that with Vision Vancouver and later Kennedy Stewart.
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 6:43 AM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I went to vote (1 Kingsway) and the line up was hundreds of people around three sides of the block. I waited a bit and it didn't move, it looked like a two hour wait or more, so I left. This city is so unprepared, they don't care if people vote, but there must be a lot of angry people to wait that long.

Same at Britannia. It was like something I've only ever seen on news reports about voter-suppressing American states - nothing I've ever experienced in all my years of voting comes close. Hate to say it, but I ultimately gave up too. Respect to those who waited it out though.
__________________
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 4:22 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Based on how they ran this byelection I wouldn’t trust them with running a popsicle stand.
You really have no idea how the process works do you?
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 5:15 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
You really have no idea how the process works do you?
Count on mindless ABC apologism on SSP.

They’re the ruling party at City Hall, they own this. And as it turns out they were justly “rewarded” by voters for their rule.
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 5:24 PM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
You really have no idea how the process works do you?
You just figured that out now?
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 5:32 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
You just figured that out now?
ChangingCity’s article upthread said City Council approved the plan to reduce the number of places to vote and cut the number of workers. So they all own it with ABC being the majority on the Council, it’s on them.

How long did you wait to vote?
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 7:00 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
A friend voted early in the day and they didn’t have to manually record name and address. By the time I voted they had to do manual sign in. I’d guess something broke in their support software which reduced their throughput by a lot.
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 8:42 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
A friend voted early in the day and they didn’t have to manually record name and address. By the time I voted they had to do manual sign in. I’d guess something broke in their support software which reduced their throughput by a lot.
Apparently some people had to wait until after 10pm to vote(they had been in line before polls closed at 8pm). I wonder who long lines might have hurt or helped more? IE would TEAM have lost votes because older people didn’t relish standing in line for over an hour?
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2025, 10:58 PM
bluefox's Avatar
bluefox bluefox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I guess nobody here showed up to vote? I don’t see any comments about the disgracefully long line ups at pretty much all of the polling stations. Kudos to my other fellow residents who literally waited hours to exercise their democratic right which Ken Sim and the amateur hour at City Hall seemed determined to thwart.
Voted in the morning, probably about 60 people when I arrived. Took about 15 minutes end to end.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.