Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal
Hit reply before checking if anyone else had followed-up. Sorrry... I didn't add much to the conversation.
|
Hey no worries! I’ve done that before, it’s part of being human.

I was just reacting to being scolded twice for the same bone-headed post (my bone-headed post, to be clear).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal
I think they're different. Cobequid Pass is significant transportation corridor for goods between NS and elsewhere - I think it's more siginficant economically for the province than the bridges, which I tend to view as conveniences for those living in/visiting Halifax-Dartmouth (or not convenience in your case). High-sided vehicles aren't supposed to use the bridges, and we have all seen the number of vehicles that can't even get through the booths, so major goods have to go around the harbour if they're on trucks and not rail. I can see the economic reason for general tax base to pay for Cobequid Pass and other major routes that serve to move goods/trade throughout the region and to the rest of Canada. I just haven't been convinced that the same argument exists for the bridges.
For what it's worth, the argument the Conservatives made was that it would reduce commute times... which, LOL, I doubt. When asked by the press about who had provided expert insight into the benefits, the Premier was not able to answer despite saying he'd consulted with some... since then, any traffic engineer I've seen/heard interviewed about it says that removing the tolls will not improve commute times (limiting factors being the street networks landside - particularly for the MacDonald) and may even increase congestion (with the tolls serving as a way to reorganize multiple lanes into 1 or 2 in an organic way).
|
I would agree that they are different, but they are also important in different ways. While yes, the bridges are a convenience to many, they are also necessary road capacity to travel between cities, especially for commuting workers. Just look at the Bedford Highway and 102 backups when one or both of the bridges are closed… if we had to deal with that every day, there would be a definite economic hit, including all the goods that would be delayed because the trucks were caught in traffic jams.
I don’t have anything to add to the toll booth congestion issue, as they can be a factor, IMHO, but it’s also true that there is always congestion on the Halifax side of the bridges every day at rush hour. Basically our city is pretty much at capacity for car/truck traffic, and while our population continues to grow, other options like transit are slow to develop, which brings me full circle to why I’m feeling that the frustration of discussing things that don’t change is making me question my personal participation in them (right, Keith?

).