Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg
|
Clearly you're getting far more house for you money in a Cincy than, say, a Seattle. But IMO it's a bit deceptive.
I recently stayed in Cincy, in the Mount Adams neighborhood. This is an all-white, non-trendy, in-town neighborhood, with few amenities. Not a single decent restaurant, but great location and views. Homes in move-in condition are well above $1 million. The all-white, upscale neighborhoods east of Mount Adams are all generally pretty pricey, all the way out to the sprawl mansion area around Indian Hill.
There are plenty of cheap in-town neighborhoods, but they tend to be black or Appalachian, broken-down, with 🞵🞵🞵🞵 schools and safety issues, and without the govt. supports you'd get in a Seattle.
There are interesting cheapish areas in Newport/Covington (took a whole day walking around), with kind of a weird mix of gentrifiers, blacks and Appalachians, but I saw nothing really "wow" except for that Mansion Hill area in Newport. Most of it just looked like any old housing along the Ohio River.
And obviously most people in Cincy area just live in prefab suburban housing, like most Americans. If you want this housing, yes, Cincy will allow one to have massive housing buying power relative to a Seattle.
But there are other factors. I'm secular, bordering on irreligious, and would have a hard time living somewhere where religion is very in-your-face, from a Creation Museum/Noah's Ark, to some of the biggest suburban megachurches I've ever seen. There's even some giant Jesus statue on I-75. We're also a trilingual family, foreign-born and my wife looks very "ethnic" and I don't think I heard someone speaking anything other than English in five days, and the only accents I heard were some Indian parents at the Union Station museums.