HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #62261  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2024, 3:00 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Why exactly was this building historic? I heard the news call it that, but don't know why.
Perhaps because of the relationship to The Doors?

The news also mentioned the building being more than 100 years old, so perhaps that alone qualifies as being “historic”...
     
     
  #62262  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2024, 3:24 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.

Thanks for the clarification on the Electrical Parade, Noir Noir.... I appreciate it!



Look what I found!


old file

OOOOOOH! ... AAAAAAAH!


For comparison, here's the eBay photograph (again) of the float MINUS THE BEVY OF BEAUTIES.



When I first saw this photograph I thought the faux-'streetlights' were palms trees off in the distance.


.
     
     
  #62263  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2024, 3:43 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010

REMIND me again where the Canadian Building is located.


I ask because this matted photograph just showed up on eBay.


eBay



When I looked it up I was a bit flumoxed by all the possibilities.






.
     
     
  #62264  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2024, 5:21 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,651


e_r, that would be 432 S. Main St.:


LA Times, 3/3/1940

And it's a survivor!

Last edited by odinthor; Dec 28, 2024 at 5:32 AM.
     
     
  #62265  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2024, 5:27 PM
Snix Snix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 222

GSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
REMIND me again where the Canadian Building is located.


I ask because this matted photograph just showed up on eBay.


eBay



When I looked it up I was a bit flumoxed by all the possibilities.






.
     
     
  #62266  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 12:08 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.
Thanks odinthor and Snix!

I appreciate the help.
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 29, 2024 at 4:15 AM.
     
     
  #62267  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 4:23 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.
I recently rediscovered this newspaper/magazine clipping in one of my files & I'm pretty sure I never posted it on NLA.



Pacific Electric Magazine, May 1944 / old file


'Fuel and Feed' - a percursor to 'Stop and Sip'.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 29, 2024 at 11:40 PM.
     
     
  #62268  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 5:33 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.

Hmm. . I'd like to know why all these people are riding mules.


old file

Were mules for people who couldn't afford horses? ..(asking for a friend)


And here's the information on the back.



For search purposes:

E.A. BONINE Photo

Lamanda Park,

Los Angeles Co., Cal.

.
     
     
  #62269  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 5:44 PM
RudyJK RudyJK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Hmm. . I'd like to know why all these people are riding mules.

Were mules for people who couldn't afford horses? ..(asking for a friend)
Mules were more common on farms than horses because they were stronger and had more endurance. Generally easier to train too. Both my parents were raised on farms (mom in Georgia and dad in Nebraska) and both said they always had mules around and rarely horses.
     
     
  #62270  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 7:07 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,717


Just don't laugh at them - mules don't like people laughing!

• Video Link
     
     
  #62271  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2024, 10:35 PM
Gregory McReynolds Gregory McReynolds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2024
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Hmm. . I'd like to know why all these people are riding mules.


old file

Were mules for people who couldn't afford horses? ..(asking for a friend)


And here's the information on the back.



For search purposes:

E.A. BONINE Photo

Lamanda Park,

Los Angeles Co., Cal.

.
Those aren't mules they are donkeys. They took tourists on rides up into the mountains, and may have been provided by the various Pasadena resort hotels. I've seen this same photo made into a stereoscope.
     
     
  #62272  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2024, 4:43 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.

Hmmm. . I'm not sure what the exact difference is between mules and donkeys. ..I'll have to ask my sister, Sara.


.
     
     
  #62273  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2024, 5:12 AM
ScottyB ScottyB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Burbank
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Hmmm. . I'm not sure what the exact difference is between mules and donkeys. ..I'll have to ask my sister, Sara.


.
Mules (as I'm sure you learned) are the result of a horse and donkey mating.
I can vouch for the sagacity, surefootedness and generally calm demeanor of mules.......not so much for donkeys.
     
     
  #62274  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2024, 6:31 AM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Why exactly was this building historic? I heard the news call it that, but don't know why.
Famous for the cover photo on The Doors 1970 Album entitled Morrison Hotel.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The cover photo was taken by Henry Diltz at the Morrison Hotel on South Hope Street in Downtown Los Angeles. The band were not given permission to photograph, so they did it while the clerk was called away from the desk. The band jumped right behind the windows and hit their places without shuffling as Diltz took the shot.[22] The rear cover features a photograph of the Hard Rock Café at nearby 300 East 5th Street. The building is now home to a convenience store. It has been vacant for years. However, a new development plan to restore the building was announced in 2018,[23] which happened for the annual "Day of the Doors" fan event in 2019.[11] In early 1983, thirteen years after the album's release, parts of Michael Jackson's music video for the song "Beat It" were filmed inside the former Hard Rock Café on 5th Street.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison_Hotel
     
     
  #62275  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 3:26 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I don't know the difference between a mule and a donkey. ..I'll have to ask my sister, Sara.
um. .I should fess up.

I don't have a sister Sara. .. I was trying to be clever like HossC.


eBay
.
     
     
  #62276  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 4:46 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.
Mystery sign....Original location or temporarly there just for the video?


I have been curious about a rooftop sign that's visible in U2's iconic Where the Streets Have No Name video. (March 1987)

The video starts with this fantastic aerial view of Main and 7th Street..

U2 is preparing to hold an improptu concert on the roof of a one-story liquor store. (below the Hotel Cecil)



As we zoom in. . . .



. .there appears to be a rooftop sign. (I've circled it for you)

But what's it doing in the middle of the roof!? Rooftop signs are usually placed along the edge of the roof - for obvious reasons) So you can SEE it!


Luckily there are glimpses of the sign throughout the video.










Hmmm. . .so what do you think?

Here's my thought:

The sign might be advertising the Rosslyn Hotel down the street .. Unless I'm mistaken, the middle line says 'New Million Dollar' (& Million Dollar is also on the Rosslyn sign currently on top of the hotel)

BUT. . what about that 1100? The Rosslyn Hotel is location at 123 Main Street, not 1100.

Even if the sign (in the video) was placed on the liqour store just for the video, where did it come from?
Could it be an earlier sign that used to be at the Rosslyn Hotel before it was replaced by the giant signs that are there now?

These

GSV




If you haven't seen the video you should watch it because it's pretty exciting.

The police and the authorities (that be) arrive on the scene and try to shut the whole thing down - / the large crowds were growing by the minute and blocking the streets.




See. . .what did I tell you.




There's even a fire call during the video!



• Video Link
Be sure to watch it large size.


I've loved the video for years (and the song, of course) and I've wondered about that damn sign for a very long time...

Hopefully we can come up with some answers about it's origins.


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 2, 2025 at 5:43 AM.
     
     
  #62277  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 7:54 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 600



Part of the video's production design it appears.


"In the background of the video is a sign for The Million Dollar Hotel, which was rebuilt to create some interest, in case no one showed up at the film shoot."
en.wikipedia.org - Where The Streets Have No Name


The video's sign either by design or error has Roslyn with one S, not Rosslyn as in the hotel's name.
     
     
  #62278  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 10:58 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,717


If it weren't for the obviously planned aerial and ground shots, I might have thought that they were trying to make viewers think they were on the roof of the Rosslyn. As per Noir_Noir's Wikipedia article, the sign was only ever intended to be a background prop.

Am I the only one who watches this video and thinks that the police officer at the end is talking about band member David Evans when he says, "Everybody back from the edge".
     
     
  #62279  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 4:23 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518


I never put that together (or maybe did and forgot) but now that you mention it, Hoss...

I remember the video well and just watched it for the first time in years. It has aged very well. I'm so much more aware of and have a greater appreciation of downtown now, mainly because of this page.
Back in 1987, I was comfortably going about my business in the South Bay, possibly listening to the KLOS broadcast which can be heard at the beginning of the video.

Last edited by Bristolian; Jan 2, 2025 at 4:40 PM.
     
     
  #62280  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2025, 9:45 PM
JScott's Avatar
JScott JScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Mystery sign....Original location or temporarly there just for the video?


BUT. . what about that 1100? The Rosslyn Hotel is location at 123 Main Street, not 1100.

The sign on the Rosslyn roof refers to its 1100 ROOMS, not its address, which is actually 112 W 5th.

Last edited by JScott; Jan 3, 2025 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added address
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.