HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3101  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2024, 12:03 AM
Fischbob's Avatar
Fischbob Fischbob is offline
New Brunswick Urbanite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Downtown Montreal?

Montreal Metropolitan Airport and YUL are pretty much equidistant to downtown.
Not only is YHU not downtown, it's on the other side of the St. Lawrence River! Very odd messaging here.

I'm assuming this is more or less confirmation that we shouldn't expect Porter to return to YSJ anytime soon.

Flights to Montreal are already loaded in Pascan's online booking system - one-way airfares currently starting at $335 for the dates I checked in Jan-Feb. Steep, yes, but only about $20 higher than Air Canada's non-seat-sale prices at the moment...

As for the (reduced) service to Halifax, one-way airfares in Jan-Feb are sitting at around $225.

Last edited by Fischbob; Dec 4, 2024 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3102  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2024, 12:03 PM
J81 J81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 834
Pascan has tried to make scheduled services in the maritimes work before and failed miserably and this time will be no different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3103  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2024, 1:16 PM
dhottawa729's Avatar
dhottawa729 dhottawa729 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Pascan has tried to make scheduled services in the maritimes work before and failed miserably and this time will be no different.
We should be more optimistic. I think offering a unique service is what could help them stand out- either routes that the big airlines don’t serve, or as more of a “sky bus” service taking advantage of their small planes which are super quick to board and alight, meaning minimal time on the ground. If there aren’t enough passengers to fill legs between small cities, make them part of a route that starts and ends at bigger cities where people can hop-on/hop-off or go the full length hassle-free. Example: Halifax>SJ>Bathurst>Quebec City>Montreal YHU.

Just run that route back and forth all day long, then maybe add another plane with an offset schedule.

This is the next best thing to a Direct flight for business travellers because you can stay in your seat and continue working the entire time. It also saves us all hundreds of kilometres of driving.

Build or expand on this idea and offer suggestions to address your concerns; don’t just shoot it down. 150 word max.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3104  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2024, 1:43 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
We should be more optimistic. I think offering a unique service is what could help them stand out- either routes that the big airlines don’t serve, or as more of a “sky bus” service taking advantage of their small planes which are super quick to board and alight, meaning minimal time on the ground. If there aren’t enough passengers to fill legs between small cities, make them part of a route that starts and ends at bigger cities where people can hop-on/hop-off or go the full length hassle-free. Example: Halifax>SJ>Bathurst>Quebec City>Montreal YHU.

Just run that route back and forth all day long, then maybe add another plane with an offset schedule.

This is the next best thing to a Direct flight for business travellers because you can stay in your seat and continue working the entire time. It also saves us all hundreds of kilometres of driving.

Build or expand on this idea and offer suggestions to address your concerns; don’t just shoot it down. 150 word max.
Firstly, unless Montreal is your final destination flying into YHU makes no sense on any airline other than Porter. (unless Pascan establishes a interline or codeshare agreement with Porter once the new terminal is open)

Secondly, I'd drive to Moncton and get a direct flight before I'd take a milk run like you describe.

It would be interesting to know how much of the current YSJ-YUL traffic has Montreal as their final destination and how much is connecting onwards to the ROC, the US or overseas. I would think people making onward connections would be the majority. AFAIK there are no plans to put a US Customs preclearance at YHU (I don't believe there is any space or provision for such a facility in the new terminal design or provision for CBSA services) so that precludes Porter serving any their US destinations from there.

Last edited by sailor734; Dec 5, 2024 at 2:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3105  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2024, 2:15 PM
dhottawa729's Avatar
dhottawa729 dhottawa729 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Firstly, unless Montreal is your final destination flying into YHU makes no sense on any airline other than Porter. (unless Pascan establishes a interline or codeshare agreement with Porter once the new terminal is open)

Secondly, I'd drive to Moncton and get a direct flight before I'd take a milk run like you describe.

It would be interesting to know how much of the current YSJ-YUL traffic has Montreal as their final destination and how much is connecting onwards to the ROC. I would think people making onward connections would be the majority. AFAIK there are no plans to put a US Customs preclearance at YHU (I don't believe there is any space or provision for such a facility in the new terminal design or provision for CBSA services) so that precludes Porter serving any their US destinations from there.
If Pascan can get the price right and it opens up opportunities for maritimers to move around regionally, to a different set of airports (opening up new connection options at each stop) and relatively hassle-free, then this provides something ‘different’. Innovation is essential when faced with established competition. Let the big airlines get us to Europe! Pascan seems like they are more interested in connecting Canadians with Canadians- which we should be so grateful they have entered our market to give us this opportunity. We’re so geographically dispersed with low population density and so a small airline like Pascan is EXACTLY what we need, just like Bearskin does in Northern Ontario. Let’s be positive and focus on solutions (even if they are somewhat dreamy) and hopefully Pascan execs will read this discussion in a thought-provoking way.

https://static1.simpleflyingimages.com/w...routes-operated-by-bearskin-airlines.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3106  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2024, 6:49 PM
bridgeoftea's Avatar
bridgeoftea bridgeoftea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
We should be more optimistic. I think offering a unique service is what could help them stand out- either routes that the big airlines don’t serve, or as more of a “sky bus” service taking advantage of their small planes which are super quick to board and alight, meaning minimal time on the ground. If there aren’t enough passengers to fill legs between small cities, make them part of a route that starts and ends at bigger cities where people can hop-on/hop-off or go the full length hassle-free. Example: Halifax>SJ>Bathurst>Quebec City>Montreal YHU.

Just run that route back and forth all day long, then maybe add another plane with an offset schedule.

This is the next best thing to a Direct flight for business travellers because you can stay in your seat and continue working the entire time. It also saves us all hundreds of kilometres of driving.

Build or expand on this idea and offer suggestions to address your concerns; don’t just shoot it down. 150 word max.
I think the all day hopper would be an excellent idea. In a hyper unrealistic example, paying $150 to go from SJ to Quebec City for a weekend trip, even though you're stopping in Charlottetown, Bathurst, Quebec City would be worth it.
Saves doing a 6-7 hour drive and parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3107  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 12:44 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is offline
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
I think the all day hopper would be an excellent idea. In a hyper unrealistic example, paying $150 to go from SJ to Quebec City for a weekend trip, even though you're stopping in Charlottetown, Bathurst, Quebec City would be worth it.
Saves doing a 6-7 hour drive and parking.
Definitely an idea worth looking at. I’d especially be interested in something like Charlottetown->Moncton->Saint John-> New York or Boston.

The supposed price on this Pascan Saint John -> Montreal South Island Suburbs flight is ludicrous!

This is a 45 minute flight, to an airport almost no one wants to go to instead of YUL.

I know some people on here love to bash FLAIR for some reason, but they are one of the bright spots of YSJ in the past 5 years. They can fly us to Toronto (almost twice the distance of Montreal) for as cheap as like $70 each way. I know they’re a budget airline that nickels and dimes us for carry on, luggage, and don’t have the same code sharing agreements as a Porter or even a Pascan… but for the purposes of getting us to Toronto, they do a great job, and have never let me down, yet! (Gone with them around 8 times now)

This Pascan flight is a joke until they lower the price. Unless I have an urgent need to get to Montreal quickly, I’ll sooner fly to Toronto with Flair and take a bus or train to Montreal from there. I’d almost rather take the train from Moncton, but really not a fan of that train ride for the price.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3108  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 2:30 PM
CharlotteCountyLogan CharlotteCountyLogan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 226
I do wish their were more options to fly out of SJ to central canada and beyond. However, I am a fan of the new Pascan flight. It's a second option against Air Canada and I dont have to go to Freddy or Moncton. When I fly I want to get to my destination as fast as possible. Flying to Toronto and backtracking seems like a waste of time. Now some more flights to the US from any of the NB airports would be amazing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3109  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 2:46 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is offline
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCountyLogan View Post
I do wish their were more options to fly out of SJ to central canada and beyond. However, I am a fan of the new Pascan flight. It's a second option against Air Canada and I dont have to go to Freddy or Moncton. When I fly I want to get to my destination as fast as possible. Flying to Toronto and backtracking seems like a waste of time. Now some more flights to the US from any of the NB airports would be amazing
It’s a good thing if it’s actually seen as competition for Air Canada’s YSJ<->YUL route. Maybe it could result in AC lowering their prices, but I’m not holding my breath:

It’s undeniably not well priced…

Airline pricing is seriously messed up. Air Canada’s flights to Toronto from Saint John are also usually cheaper than their flights to Montreal (around half the distance) and it just doesn’t make sense.

We need government to step in and better regulate airline pricing, but also provide subsidies for smaller centres like Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, Charlottetown, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3110  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 2:50 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
I wonder how popular YHU will be for Maritime travellers?

I suspect that Porter will choose to offer service from all their current Maritime destinations (Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton, Charlottetown) to YHU when their service comes fully on line since they have designated YHU as their Montreal hub.

Will Maritimers adopt this airport, or will they remain stuck in their ways and fly Air Canada to YUL.

I suspect that if I am flying to Montreal, or looking to make a transfer to a Canadian destination (via Porter), I would use YHU. If I am making an international connection, I will choose Air Canada and YUL instead.

This would mirror my travel habits now (choosing between Billy Bishop and Toronto Pearson).

Thoughts anyone???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3111  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 2:51 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Definitely an idea worth looking at. I’d especially be interested in something like Charlottetown->Moncton->Saint John-> New York or Boston.

The supposed price on this Pascan Saint John -> Montreal South Island Suburbs flight is ludicrous!

This is a 45 minute flight, to an airport almost no one wants to go to instead of YUL.

I know some people on here love to bash FLAIR for some reason, but they are one of the bright spots of YSJ in the past 5 years. They can fly us to Toronto (almost twice the distance of Montreal) for as cheap as like $70 each way. I know they’re a budget airline that nickels and dimes us for carry on, luggage, and don’t have the same code sharing agreements as a Porter or even a Pascan… but for the purposes of getting us to Toronto, they do a great job, and have never let me down, yet! (Gone with them around 8 times now)

This Pascan flight is a joke until they lower the price. Unless I have an urgent need to get to Montreal quickly, I’ll sooner fly to Toronto with Flair and take a bus or train to Montreal from there. I’d almost rather take the train from Moncton, but really not a fan of that train ride for the price.
For my purposes neither Flair nor Pascan have any real utility. I have no foreseeable need to fly JUST to Toronto or Montreal. My destinations when flying out of Saint John in recent years have all been onward connections through either YYZ, YUL or YHZ.

As I said above, it would be interesting to know what percentage of passengers on the current AC flights to YUL and YYZ are connecting onwards. I have to think it's a reasonably significant percentage.

I would have thought Porter might have cut a codeshare agreement with Pascon to capture some of the YSJ business but perhaps they have calculated they can get enough SJ business through YQM to make it a moot point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3112  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 3:06 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder how popular YHU will be for Maritime travellers?


Will Maritimers adopt this airport, or will they remain stuck in their ways and fly Air Canada to YUL.?
Porter is making Halifax a Hub, Maritimers are flying south on Porter's new Daily service to Orlando, and Service to Tampa starting this week.

Quote:
Porter Airlines is inaugurating two new, nonstop routes between Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ) and Florida this week, marking the first time the carrier has operated U.S. flights from the Nova Scotia capital.

Three-times weekly service to Tampa International Airport (TPA) takes off Thursday (Dec. 5), while daily service to Orlando International Airport (MCO) starts tomorrow, Dec. 6. The carrier will have more service to Florida from Halifax than any airline over the winter season.

Sep 30 - Dec 8 2024 - Nassau Bahamas

Both flights are operated by the Embraer E195-E2, which Porter brought to Halifax for the first time in 2023. The 132-seat aircraft is configured two-by-two, which means no middle seats for any passenger.

Passengers who fly with Porter also enjoy free premium snacks, complimentary beer and wine served in glassware, and free Wi-Fi.

PorterReserve fares provide an all-inclusive economy experience, with fresh, healthy meals, premium cocktails, dedicated airport check-in, ticketing flexibility, early boarding, and more legroom.



Porter flies to six destinations in the Sunshine State, with options available across its Eastern Canada network to travel to destinations including Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Miami, Orlando Tampa, and West Palm Beach.

“We’re starting our service from Halifax to Florida in a big way, with more flights than any other airline. The ability to enjoy our distinct service on these routes for the first time will be welcomed by Nova Scotians. Halifax continues to grow for Porter overall, with up to 15 daily departures flying to as many as eight nonstop destinations," said Edmond Eldebs, senior vice-president and chief commercial officer at Porter, in a statement.
Quote:
Tampa International Airport ✈️
@FlyTPA
WE’RE READY FOR HALIFAX! Today,
@porterairlines
launched nonstop flights from TPA to Halifax, Nova Scotia! Porter now offers flights 3 days each week to this destination and each flight features complimentary Wi-Fi and premium snacks.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3113  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 3:17 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Porter is making Halifax a Hub, Maritimers are flying south on Porter's new Daily service to Orlando, and Service to Tampa starting this week.
Yes, I'm aware.

I could see flying Porter out of YHZ to Florida, but, even despite my age, I am not really a snowbird. I did fly out of YHZ to Orlando last year (via Air Canada), but, that was probably my first time in Florida in at least a decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3114  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 4:19 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,134
Saint John is still on this 2024 updated map. It's either a mistake or they are coming back to YSJ.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3115  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2024, 4:42 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is offline
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Saint John is still on this 2024 updated map. It's either a mistake or they are coming back to YSJ.

That would be nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3116  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2024, 2:20 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,686
I suspect if Porter was coming back and they were showing the route on their website the SJ airport authority would be crowing about it.

My guess is typo.....although, once YHU's new Porter terminal is open late next year who knows?


Although, a Porter flight to YHU would still only be good for connections to Canadian destinations and not the US so still not the preferred route.

If I could magically cause one Porter flight to start operating out of YSJ I would say YYZ, followed by YOW
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3117  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2024, 2:32 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,686
In other YSJ related news, Flair continues to struggle to raise new operating capital. This article suggests current lenders may only get back between 0 and 11 cents on the dollar. Flair is apparently seeking to secure another 150 million in longterm debt.

https://www.ft.com/content/d1b2c472-9687-4506-9998-ece1dc68c5d7
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3118  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2024, 10:48 AM
magee_b magee_b is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I suspect if Porter was coming back and they were showing the route on their website the SJ airport authority would be crowing about it.

My guess is typo.....although, once YHU's new Porter terminal is open late next year who knows?


Although, a Porter flight to YHU would still only be good for connections to Canadian destinations and not the US so still not the preferred route.

If I could magically cause one Porter flight to start operating out of YSJ I would say YYZ, followed by YOW
Porter just leased an additional 3 x DH4’s so possible they could add YSJ back in if they are adding new lift. I’d actually prefer the YOW link first as it would be a different direct destination (and you could same plane to YTZ) and it would tie into their new E95 hub there which is starting to grow with many of the same destinations as YYZ.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a typo / someone just hasn’t double checked the map.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3119  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2024, 11:29 AM
Bishop2047's Avatar
Bishop2047 Bishop2047 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Porter just leased an additional 3 x DH4’s so possible they could add YSJ back in if they are adding new lift. I’d actually prefer the YOW link first as it would be a different direct destination (and you could same plane to YTZ) and it would tie into their new E95 hub there which is starting to grow with many of the same destinations as YYZ.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a typo / someone just hasn’t double checked the map.
I would not read too much into the map. I know I did a year ago, when I first noticed SJ on it. An Ottawa with continuing service to Billy Bishop would be great for YSJ, and the most likely initial offering, should the Pascan route to YHU continue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3120  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2024, 2:01 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I would not read too much into the map. I know I did a year ago, when I first noticed SJ on it. An Ottawa with continuing service to Billy Bishop would be great for YSJ, and the most likely initial offering, should the Pascan route to YHU continue.
I think the map is in error. I have heard nothing about a rekindled interest by Porter in YSJ. This is frankly peculiar since YSJ is so poorly served. It would seem like a missed business opportunity for Porter to me.

I agree, a service to YOW ongoing to Billy Bishop would seem like a no brainer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.