HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Someone's gonna be mad that a roundabout wasn't considered.
A roundabout would be virtually impossible to build at that intersection. Too many skyscrapers in the way.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 3:53 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
A roundabout would be virtually impossible to build at that intersection. Too many skyscrapers in the way.
I hope you're joking.

If the city can put a traffic circle on Waverley and Grosvenor, where it caused quite a stir when it was first introduced 14 years ago, they can put a roundabout on Portage and Main.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I hope you're joking.

If the city can put a traffic circle on Waverley and Grosvenor, where it caused quite a stir when it was first introduced 14 years ago, they can put a roundabout on Portage and Main.
All of those "rounabouts" that were built for 15 years ago, in places like River Heights, and other older neighbourhoods, aren't really that effective. If one manoevers correctly, they can literally keep the same speed.
They can't build proper roundabouts in River Heights, Cresentwood, the West and North End, since it would impede on the sidewalks, and property of the four landowners.

However, after seeing aerial photos of the intersection, and the actual distances, it could conceivably work at Portage and Main. It would definitely make crossing the intersection safer for pedestrians.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
All of those "rounabouts" that were built for 15 years ago, in places like River Heights, and other older neighbourhoods, aren't really that effective. If one manoevers correctly, they can literally keep the same speed.
They can't build proper roundabouts in River Heights, Cresentwood, the West and North End, since it would impede on the sidewalks, and property of the four landowners.

However, after seeing aerial photos of the intersection, and the actual distances, it could conceivably work at Portage and Main. It would definitely make crossing the intersection safer for pedestrians.
The central monument would also become an excellent location for the frequent demonstrations we see at the intersection. A safer space for those demonstrating could stand/wave flags and banners.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 7:25 PM
the first stamp is free

[QUOTE=BlackDog204;10288250]All of those "rounabouts" that were built for 15 years ago, in places like River Heights, and other older neighbourhoods, aren't really that effective. If one manoevers correctly, they can literally keep the same speed.
/QUOTE]

I think part of the benefit of roundabouts is that they keep traffic free flowing.

Similar results roundabouts in Australia are literally a small bump in the centre of the intersection. You barely slow down or adjust your direction thru the intersection if there is no traffic.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 1:25 PM
What could go wrong?

The plan

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 1:42 PM

I was hoping they would have considered a scramble pedestrian intersection here. Might be a good ideas to give pedestrians full right of way for a period of time and avoid any potential accidents with vehicles.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 1:44 PM

What does "southeast corner to be shared with Boekstael" mean?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 2:08 PM

I feel like this has slid under the radar completely. I forgot or just didn't know about this. I do tend to forget things a lot more as I'm getting older and the kids.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 2:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
What does "southeast corner to be shared with Boekstael" mean?

Because Bockstael is actively doing the construction on the MMF (BMO) Building and will have to share the space for construction activities.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 4:44 PM

Are the blue areas on three of the four corners the current accesses to the underground...and if so, what happens to them? Assuming they will stay open until the concourse is closed?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 6:37 PM

Ya those are the entrances.

It's not a small amount of work to reconfigure, especially that corner as they're reconfig's the traffic lanes.

Are the barriers coming down completely? Or just being cut open to allow people through?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 7:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Are the barriers coming down completely? Or just being cut open to allow people through?
Removed, waterproofed and then install sidewalk and curb. There is also mention of some bollards in places.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 7:28 PM

I'm slightly confused by the whole thing. Are they implementing all the fancy pictures from the recent studies?

So after all that studying, traffic nightmare, transit nightmare. We're simply opening the corners with minor change to lane configuration?

Will it be pedestrian nightmare now? Or like what will happen when BRT comes through there. Blow it all up again? Is the underground closing?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm slightly confused by the whole thing. Are they implementing all the fancy pictures from the recent studies?

So after all that studying, traffic nightmare, transit nightmare. We're simply opening the corners with minor change to lane configuration?
This is a temporary [i.e. permanent] fix to ensure its open to pedestrians for the restructured transit network that goes into service next summer. Final design is to be determined.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 12:41 PM
What could go wrong?

My understanding is that the current concrete barriers have considerable leak issues and need to be removed. They are going with an easy and relatively cheap solution to remove the barriers, waterproof the damaged areas and replace with curbing and new traffic and pedestrian signalization. This low cost project will allow the intersection to be open to pedestrians. This does not address the significant issue of the underground water issues in the Portage and Main Circus. That will need to be addressed with a much larger budget and or maybe the closing and infill of the facility in the future.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 2:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

closing the underground would be a huge short sited mistake

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:52 PM
surely you agree with me

^ they won't...it just won't be the city paying to keep it open.

looks like no more right turn from main to portage east.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:54 PM
surely you agree with me

they should ban the left turn from main to bannatyne.....that creates a big line up that slows portage and main.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 6:06 PM

Looks like the City is relocating the Great War memorial statue in front of the Bank of Montreal to Brookfield Cemetery. What a shame. Apparently there isn't room for it there once the renewal of P&M is complete but that statue should remain prominent and not somewhere that most of the city will never see it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan