HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Likewise we could start calling Vancouver as Vancouver-Surrey, but no one outside of Canada is going to use the “Surrey” part.
The difference being Surrey is an overgrown suburban bedroom community just 13 miles from Downtown Vancouver. Would Surrey even exist as it is without Vancouver? Fort Worth is, and always has been, its own city, with its own suburbs, 30 miles from Downtown Dallas.

There's a reason Dallas-Fort Worth is called "Metroplex." The definition of "metroplex" being "a conurbation with more than one principal anchor city of near equal importance."

You'll have to excuse my bristling at Dallas being given more credit than its true size deserves. <--- (The true reason for my rant.)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 9:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Now the above are some fascinating complaints.

But I hate to be the one to say this, outside of the USA Dallas-Fort Worth is 99% of the time referred to as……. Dallas. In Canada you grow up hearing about the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, etc… On maps is Houston and Dallas often shown for Texas.

Here in Japan if I say Dallas, there is a good chance people know where I’m talking about, if I say “Fort Worth” it will be a blank stare.

So, I’m sorry, internationally Dallas-Forth Worth is almost always referred to simply as Dallas.

Likewise we could start calling Vancouver as Vancouver-Surrey, but no one outside of Canada is going to use the “Surrey” part.

Same with Seattle-Tacoma. Internationally it’s Seattle.

i hate to be the one to break it to you, but its the same across the usa too.

this is a forum of urbanist geeks remember.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 9:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Fort Worth is big because it annexed a lot of suburban areas around it. I still think the Dallas side of the metroplex is a lot bigger. The two cities are so glued together by sprawl its' hard to tell where one's influence ends and the other begins. DFW genuinely is one unit despite starting out as a pair of separate cities that were a bit too far apart to be classical twin cities a la Minneapolis-St. Paul.

There's a joke/meme on Reddit and around social media about clueless people calling either Dallas or Fort Worth "Downtown DFW" but there's some kernel of truth to the fact that the airport is the geographic center of the metro area.
that seems about right to me, that the dfw barycenter is around the no mans land sprawl at the airport.

minneapolis-st paul barycenter would probably be in eastern minny maybe around um i guess?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Fort Worth is big because it annexed a lot of suburban areas around it. I still think the Dallas side of the metroplex is a lot bigger. The two cities are so glued together by sprawl its' hard to tell where one's influence ends and the other begins. DFW genuinely is one unit despite starting out as a pair of separate cities that were a bit too far apart to be classical twin cities a la Minneapolis-St. Paul.
While certainly true, Fort Worth's growth is not nearly the kind of annexation bloat that a place like Jacksonville (875 sq mi) has. FW's area (347 sq mi) is roughly equivalent to Austin's (320 sq mi), so FW passing Austin and cracking into the top 10 largest cities list will at least make some kind of sense lol.
From 2010 to 2020, annexation grew FW's city limits by only 2.2% (added 8 sq miles), while its population in that same time grew by 24% (added 177k people).

Quote:
Now the above are some fascinating complaints.

But I hate to be the one to say this, outside of the USA Dallas-Fort Worth is 99% of the time referred to as……. Dallas. In Canada you grow up hearing about the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, etc… On maps is Houston and Dallas often shown for Texas.

Here in Japan if I say Dallas, there is a good chance people know where I’m talking about, if I say “Fort Worth” it will be a blank stare.

So, I’m sorry, internationally Dallas-Forth Worth is almost always referred to simply as Dallas.

Same with Seattle-Tacoma. Internationally it’s Seattle.
An interesting caveat with this particular scenario is that unlike those two examples there is a very real possibility that Fort Worth becomes more populous than Dallas sooner rather than later. Hell, if their current growth patterns hold for a just a little while longer it could be in only about 15 to 20 years.

Though I agree in general. I love Fort Worth but Dallas has too much global cultural cache that Fort Worth just can't overtake until enough globally significant things occur there in such a way that it forces outsiders to draw a hard distinction between FW and Dallas. Like, we're talking Fort Worth having to host a summer Olympics entirely on its own without any use of facilities over in Dallas so that all eyes are on Fort Worth and the media branding is entirely Fort Worth-based. It can't be the "Dallas-Fort Worth Olympics", it would have to be the "Fort Worth Olympics" for people outside of Texas to really begin grappling with Fort Worth as its own thing worth distinguishing outside of its relation to being near Dallas.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCowboyCoffee View Post
An interesting caveat with this particular scenario is that unlike those two examples there is a very real possibility that Fort Worth becomes more populous than Dallas sooner rather than later. Hell, if their current growth patterns hold for a just a little while longer it could be in only about 15 to 20 years.
Fort Worth has slightly more land area than Dallas, but it seems like an even more sprawly city than Dallas. Granted, I've spent just a small amount of time in FW, so I might have missed something, but it seemed to me even more spaced out than Dallas. So if Fort Worth is going to grow larger than Dallas, it has to be done through a much denser development pattern.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Fort Worth has slightly more land area than Dallas, but it seems like an even more sprawly city than Dallas. Granted, I've spent just a small amount of time in FW, so I might have missed something, but it seemed to me even more spaced out than Dallas.
The 300k population difference adds a lot to Dallas's relative density--that's a whole Corpus Christi's worth of a difference in population.
Plus Dallas has a much larger (undevelopable) floodplain than FW has, and the Great Trinity Forest accounts for a significant chunk of land within Dallas's city limits; those factors help condense Dallas's 1.3 million population into a smaller space than it otherwise would be.

But if FW keeps adding +20k people every year and Dallas stays relatively flat, then that 300k difference will shrink really quick.
(But honestly I don't think Dallas will stay as flat as it has been)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
So if Fort Worth is going to grow larger than Dallas, it has to be done through a much denser development pattern.
They certainly have that chance if Panther Island materializes the way they hope it will. And there's no shortage of surface lots in its downtown to keep building vertically if and when they need to.

Last edited by IcedCowboyCoffee; Jul 30, 2024 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 6:19 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCowboyCoffee View Post
The 300k population difference adds a lot to Dallas's relative density--that's a whole Corpus Christi's worth of a difference in population.
Plus Dallas has a much larger (undevelopable) floodplain than FW and the Great Trinity Forest accounts for a significant chunk of land within Dallas's city limits, those factors help condense Dallas's 1.3 million population more than it otherwise would be.

But if FW keeps adding +20k people every year and Dallas stays relatively flat, then that 300k difference will shrink really quick.
(But honestly I don't think Dallas will stay as flat as it has been)

They certainly have that chance if Panther Island materializes the way they hope it will. And there's no shortage of surface lots in its downtown to keep building vertically if and when they need to.
More on Panther Island:

https://www.archpaper.com/2024/04/la...-island/?amp=1

https://pantherisland.com/assets/doc...compressed.pdf
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinAWestLife View Post
Wow, this did not come up at all when I was doing research for the graphic. Good to see that Nola has something under construction.
Not only that ,but the upcoming River District which will include several high rises.

Old Posted Today, 5:14 PM
DENNAB

Canada is insanely impressive given its relatively small population. It (and Australia) both manage to make it into the top 10 countries globally in terms of 150m+ buildings.

USA has way more (and taller ones) but it's also a nation of nearly 350 million. If US could build proportionally the way Canada/Oz do that would be epic.

Here's to hoping the US starts building more skyscrapers if feds lower interest rates next month. For a country of such scale / global standing I would expect more.

Old Posted Today, 6:58 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Canada is insanely impressive given its relatively small population. It (and Australia) both manage to make it into the top 10 countries globally in terms of 150m+ buildings.

USA has way more (and taller ones) but it's also a nation of nearly 350 million. If US could build proportionally the way Canada/Oz do that would be epic.

Here's to hoping the US starts building more skyscrapers if feds lower interest rates next month. For a country of such scale / global standing I would expect more.
I mean, aside from the classic factors like the interstate system, household wealth at midcentury, etc, I would assume it's also partially because the USA has a significantly larger amount of arable land than Canada or Australia resulting in the historical population centers historically being much more widely distributed across the interior - resulting in less of a real estate crunch in just a few peripheral / coastal cities.

I don't know if the US Census Estimate of 400 million by 2060 will hold true or not but I would assume places like the LA Basin and urban Texas will see a steady increase in residential highrise construction. Even then, there's still significant existing interior capacity (water, infrastructure, easily buildable or infilled lots, etc) in the U.S. compared to Canada (unless new cities and significant new amounts of infrastructure are built across the Canadian Shield or whatever) or Australia.

Old Posted Today, 7:14 PM

I know this is goes against the mission statement here, but I don't see why the US should strive to build skyscrapers at the same rate as Canada or Australia.

Old Posted Today, 7:14 PM

A collapse of the Florida and some other eastern/southern coastal real estate and insurance markets due to potential sea level impacts at mid-century may also radically shift "highrise type" development...to somewhere. Super-Asheville, dunno...

Old Posted Today, 7:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Super-Asheville, dunno...
It's pronounced "char-lanta".

Old Posted Today, 7:49 PM
I am the law!

Couldn't you easily retrofit towers for sea level rise by abandoning flooded floors; tweaking the elevator; adding docks for personal watercraft, pontoons and, gondolas? There's electrical cables running in saltwater. Plumbing again would be accessing a clean water source than piping in saltwater

Old Posted Today, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Couldn't you easily retrofit towers for sea level rise by abandoning flooded floors; tweaking the elevator; adding docks for personal watercraft, pontoons and, gondolas? There's electrical cables running in saltwater. Plumbing again would be accessing a clean water source than piping in saltwater
I don't know the "correct" answer for that, but from an engineering and materials perspective sea level rise (and when I say sea level rise, really what I'm talking about is severity of periodic storm flooding) was absolutely not accounted for at the design phase in normal residential/commercial projects so I imagine extensive retrofitting would be prohibitively expensive to say a condo building. Impacts of salt water intrusion/corrosion and erosive characteristics/wave action of flooding to the structural and service infrastructure...no way. It wont be insured and... later wont be repaired. Places like Miami-Dade can have mitigation plans to do the equivalent of pushing a finger in the dike and buy a few decades to keep water off structures to begin with as long as possible, but longer term, likely nah...

Thats not to say people wont be living there - it's just that I imagine the "system" will abandon maintenance of swaths of built areas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions