HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Best wishes to Mc and SHH. Appreciate how you keep this thread colourful.

Flar, I'd love to fish by boat that area. I find fishing in barren landcapes too boring. Need some visual stimuli. This would fit the bill.

St. Clair has some tanks in there. For musky and channel cats based on what I've heard and my BIL who would fish it every year. Don't know if that cat is 5lbs though. Hard to tell based on the very limited point of reference. No idea how big that net is for example.

I've only fished for channel cats near the end of the Grand in Dunnville and Byng Island CA in the same town. Did it once. Didn't catch the monsters in the Grand after the brief time trying, but did catch some up to 2 lbs at the CA in the pond.

We lend on properties in Sarnia and Windsor and I want that portfolio next year so I can hit all the towns down there I've never been to but also bring my inflatable with me and try a couple of spots in scenery I haven't tried before. There's something similar to what you posted in upstate NY I tried once. Was an interesting experience..

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:58 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Another nice day in St. John's, lower humidity, almost comfortable, 30°C.

Lunch at Ches's.

photos by me July 28 / 29 2024

Last edited by Architype; Yesterday at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is no national civil defence organization in Canada like FEMA.

Historically, Canada has never had the frequency or scale of natural disasters as experienced in the US. This however is changing. The climate is warming, and summertime drought is more common. Forest fires are both more common and more aggressive than they used to be. The Atlantic is warming, and, as a consequence, hurricanes in Atlantic Canada are now nearly an annual event. Earthquakes remain uncommon, but, Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of BC are in the target hairs of a long overdue megathrust quake. There are Canadian volcanoes. Add in some blizzards and ice storms, and, I think a FEMA like organization is long overdue.

At present, civil defence is a provincial responsibility, but, with a large enough disaster, an individual province can easily get overwhelmed. There is a longstanding tradition of provinces helping each other out, but this is informal and voluntary. Provinces can ask for federal aid too, but, this usually just means the feds sending a few hundred soldiers to help with the clean up.

We can do better.

We need a national organization with skilled professionals to coordinate and oversee the response. There needs to be a national repository of equipment and supplies to support the response. We need a federal fleet of waterbombing aircraft and a professional corp of wildland firefighter. I would much prefer to see the feds do something like this rather than yet another new virtue signalling activist social program.
Thank you for explaining, I didn't know provinces are responsible for a lot of things like that.

The Wyoming has such a small population, it relies on the Unitedness of the States to help, like you mention in hurricanes and tornadoes.

Here's hoping the united Provinces of Canada can come together to do the same some day.

Great pics in this thread, I didn't realize from title of the thread it would be like that. I don't recognize the name of places, except for Vancouver, and Virgin Islands, but the images look interesting.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My office building is closed again tomorrow due to the heat .

It's tolerable in town today, and it even was (for the first time ever) cooler in my building than outside. I've never felt that in the warmer months before, walking in to cooler air. I'm sure it was still 25+C, but usually that building is hotter than outside (it's a greenhouse with all the skylights).

They relaxed our dress code A LOT for any days over 20C outside Completely allowed, even for external meetings:

Also, thanks for the wishes. Red-faced for not having deleted that post, but, shag it. Mom's mastectomy is tomorrow morning, 9:15 a.m. NT. Fingers crossed all she needs as follow-up care is radiation and pills. All of the various bone scans and everything else are gone. It'll be 4-5 weeks before we get the results and know for sure if this is very early and nowhere else. She's in high spirits.

It's so hot.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Yesterday at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:12 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I also wish all the best to
I hope Mc and SHH's mom get well soon.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:27 PM

I check this thread a couple times a week and wow, so many great photos to catch up on!

Giallo, I was at Jericho Beach last night as it clouded over, trying to get pictures of Brock House (more on that later in a thread to follow one day).

Also love these two pics. This guy finally wins the lottery, only to find out that indeed the grand prize was $00 dollars.

van in july-36 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

van in july -40 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Thinking of you McMinsen and SHH - I hope news is good and that at least you can enjoy a great rest of summer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

Flar, I'd love to fish by boat that area. I find fishing in barren landcapes too boring. Need some visual stimuli. This would fit the bill.

St. Clair has some tanks in there. For musky and channel cats based on what I've heard and my BIL who would fish it every year. Don't know if that cat is 5lbs though. Hard to tell based on the very limited point of reference. No idea how big that net is for example.

I've only fished for channel cats near the end of the Grand in Dunnville and Byng Island CA in the same town. Did it once. Didn't catch the monsters in the Grand after the brief time trying, but did catch some up to 2 lbs at the CA in the pond.

We lend on properties in Sarnia and Windsor and I want that portfolio next year so I can hit all the towns down there I've never been to but also bring my inflatable with me and try a couple of spots in scenery I haven't tried before. There's something similar to what you posted in upstate NY I tried once. Was an interesting experience..
It's a bad picture of the catfish because I didn't want to handle it, very slimy with spikes on the back of the head. It's a 36" or 42" net from my buddy's boat, he fishes Lake St. Clair a lot and you need to be prepared to bring in muskie and pike. Of course there are much bigger catfish out there, bullheads as well as channel cats. We caught the catfish from the dock, in the muddy creek shown in the pics. Ideally you want a boat to get out into the blue water. If you ever get a chance to go out, shoot me a PM and I'll send coordinates for good perch fishing.

Old Posted Today, 12:29 AM

Yesterday in Castlegar BC 31.3C
Today some drizzle and 27.4C at 3pm.

28 30 34 38 36 34

Old Posted Today, 1:52 AM

Very hot day in St. John's today. YYT topped out at 29, my station made it to a rounded up 30 (29.5). Low humidity for most of the day, however looks like the humidity came in pretty quickly this evening, with my station now reading a dew point of 20 degrees.

Very warm overnight by the looks of it. Still 22 with a humidex of 29 at my place at just before 11:30pm. With the bump in humidity, temperatures may not drop much more overnight.

Myself on the other hand is currently out of town on the south coast, where highs today were a much more moderate 24 degrees.

Old Posted Today, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
My office building is closed again tomorrow due to the heat
You guys are really the weather weaklings of this country. +25C, stuff closes due to heat, -15C, stuff closes due to cold, a couple feet of snow, stuff closes due to too much snow, etc.

Back when you were living in Winnipeg, did you ever experience things shutting down for anything weather-related?

Old Posted Today, 2:33 AM

^ Hey now, leave me out of this. It's just SHH's office, everyone else has to work and contribute to our economy lmao

Old Posted Today, 2:48 AM
Go Chiefs!

30C with a humidex of 37 and sunny.

Low of 20C (humidex of 26) this morning. A bit of cloud cover actually early in the morning. Weird line of clouds move east to west.

The warmspot was Gaspe, QC at 36.1C. All-time record for there (previous one was 36.0C).

Warmest low was Harrow, ON at 23.2C.

Old Posted Today, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It's a bad picture of the catfish because I didn't want to handle it, very slimy with spikes on the back of the head. It's a 36" or 42" net from my buddy's boat, he fishes Lake St. Clair a lot and you need to be prepared to bring in muskie and pike. Of course there are much bigger catfish out there, bullheads as well as channel cats. We caught the catfish from the dock, in the muddy creek shown in the pics. Ideally you want a boat to get out into the blue water. If you ever get a chance to go out, shoot me a PM and I'll send coordinates for good perch fishing.
You told me about Cardinal on my tour of Eastern Ontario and that's where I actually saw a nice smallmouth bass and big sheepshead. So naturally, if you tell me about a spot on St. Clair, and I actually take the proper time to fish, I'll probably slay.

We all learn the hard way about catfish, especially brown bullhead since they're so common and one of the first fish young anglers catch. You learn you have to hold them a certain away before you get spiked by their toxic spines. I know I could feel it the next day.

As for lipping them like bass, also have to learn how to do that the right way. This is my cousin's wife when we were fishing Byng Island.

One could challenge themselves and go noodling for catfish in the US. It's the practice of sticking your hand in holes dug into the banks of rivers hoping that a catfish will try and swallow your arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgX8LL4ULuI

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/edito...-nerves/479002

how to fix your laptop keyboard keys
https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/noodling-catfish/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/noodling-catfish/

Old Posted Today, 6:52 AM

Well, it was a day like we haven't seen for almost a month. A real soaker. Everything got a good rinse.
Wet all day long. Not much change in the temperature.

Monday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 18 C, the low was 16 C.

Downtown Vancouver, July 29 '24, my pics

Old Posted Today, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You guys are really the weather weaklings of this country. +25C, stuff closes due to heat, -15C, stuff closes due to cold, a couple feet of snow, stuff closes due to too much snow, etc.

Back when you were living in Winnipeg, did you ever experience things shutting down for anything weather-related?
Well don't people say that Newfoundland and Ireland are connected. . Personally I think that connection is one way. I flew from Spain to Ireland once in early December and the plane to Dublin had to be diverted to Shannon as it had snowed in Dublin (but not Shannon) and it was maybe 5 cm of snow but they didn't have the equipment to handle it. A very slow and long bus ride from Shannon to Dublin was the net result.

Old Posted Today, 10:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Not that I can recall. Despite being more than a decade, my time living away, in my memory now, feels like one lengthy hotel stay. A few months tops. Very little stands out - so transient, temporary.

I remember having to plug my car in overnight in winter, even during the day at the office. The satisfying and loud, crunchy sound of dry snow. The infuriating badoomp-badoomp-badoomp-badoomp of driving on the roads that are split into blocks. And the fact they didn't plow/salt down to asphalt in winter, the roads would just stay white with a hard layer of snow/ice. And in summer, I remember having to close the windows and turn off the A/C whenever they fogged for mosquitoes. All these things were completely foreign to me so they stand out.

Old Posted Today, 12:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

19C and mostly cloudy in Moncton at 10 AM, going up to 27C this afternoon with scattered showers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada