HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 10:34 PM

I would say there is little chance that White Oaks Mall dies when you consider the population growth of London, the fact that we live in a winter climate much of the year, the access to the 401, etc. Malls are re-inventing themselves so there will be changes over the years to replace some retail but not a chance the mall dies. It is one of two major malls left in the city.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 2:32 AM

I'm sorry, a winter climate "much of the year"?. How about a small part of the year. Which hasn't slowed the shopping habits of people switching over to power centres and big box. All they need is Penequity to start building beside Costco and White Oaks is losing a good chunk of their name brand retailers. I don't know that Westdell has the pockets to prop that place up renting out stores to "Bob's Sports Cards" and another 15 cell phone case stores.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'm sorry, a winter climate "much of the year"?. How about a small part of the year. Which hasn't slowed the shopping habits of people switching over to power centres and big box. All they need is Penequity to start building beside Costco and White Oaks is losing a good chunk of their name brand retailers. I don't know that Westdell has the pockets to prop that place up renting out stores to "Bob's Sports Cards" and another 15 cell phone case stores.
They inherited the mall with the leases. This is a long play for them not short term. More population growth, as we are currently seeing, only helps them. London is a city divided in half with regards to the malls - North is Masonville and South is White Oaks. All you have to do is look around at other cities of similar size and you see that 2 major malls in London is about right for our population. And White Oaks Mall will be a major stop on the BRT system, which only enhances their position. And I dare say that Westdell probably does more market research then people like you and me. Several of these developers have ties and connections to other deep pocket groups. I am not saying that White Oaks is great, but when you put several large towers up around the mall and more transit, I would say it has great potential.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:15 AM

Council unanimously approved the zoning changes that would allow for Westdell to build their 30s and 32s towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
City planning staff is recommending that Council refuse the applicant's requested proposal for the first phase (30s and 32s towers @ Bradley/Montgomery) and instead approve a proposal that allows for a maximum height of 27s.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...ton%20Road.pdf

Will make for an interesting discussion at council. This goes to the planning committee on July 16th and then to full council on July 23rd.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates