HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I would just not survive. We hit 21C official temp this week, and our building had to close because it was 26-30C inside (depending on individual office).

45? I'd literally just die. That's 15C above my personal wet bulb temp lol
These temps are crazy and to revel in them I find troubling as one of the biggest causes is climate change due to our lifestyles. Give me 22 c and a light breeze and no need for AC or heating any time from May to September.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Wow!

At 5PM: Chapleau, ON skyrocketed to 36.4C. New high this year in Canada.

Also humidex of 45.2 there right now. First reading above 45 in at least 2 years across the country.
Without getting too far into weather minutae the 'Chapleau' readings are only a max of 30.7 so that 'Chapleau airport" reading may be in error?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
These temps are crazy and to revel in them I find troubling as one of the biggest causes is climate change due to our lifestyles. Give me 22 c and a light breeze and no need for AC or heating any time from May to September.
You can't even go to the beach in that weather.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
But you can't live life when it's hotter. Just walking to the grocery, sure you'd be dripping sweat. Gross.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Man... yes. You're pulling the strings in my soul, which I think are the genetic preferences of homo sapiens lol

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Go Chiefs!

6PM: St. Catharines, ON saw its dewpoint climb to 24.6C. Highest one yet.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Lots of rain and inconsistent coolish weather here in Winnipeg too.

No smoke, but we are choking on mosquitoes this year!
I make it a point to be an asshole whenever this heat happens and send my brother in MB pictures of the temperature on my car thingy.

Damn my dash is dirty.

But, hell.. Like Proof Sheet.. give me 23 degrees and easy humidity. This wad of air summoned by Nicko through demonic means is not for me.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:13 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Much nicer in Vancouver today, and no oppressive temperatures (yet).

photo by me

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Quote:
But you can't live life when it's hotter. Just walking to the grocery, sure you'd be dripping sweat. Gross.
Meh, everyone around you is sweaty as well, so its no biggie.

The best though was when I went to the deep south a few years ago in July. New Orleans was basically between 27C and 33C the entire time, including at night. Oddly my wife was bothered by it, and she usually likes high humidity as well.

The only time in my life that I actually felt uncomfortable in this type of heat was in Alabama - it was about 37C and humid as hell (and we were driving the entire day, so I was a bit dehydrated).

But aside from that I love the hot humid heat. Wish it was like this for an extra month or two each year.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
That's the most irrelevant point to me? I can't understand the motivation to say it? lol You actually wouldn't mind being uncomfortable and sweat as long as others were as well? Why?

I'm afraid I might be ticking of a psychopath checklist, but I couldn't give less of a fuck what others feel about the temperature. I want to be comfortable myself, and other people sweating when I am is irrelevant to me.

Old Posted Today, 12:04 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
That's fuckin gross. I remember being on the the boardwalk in New Jersey and actually feeling people's sweat as I passed them. Gross as ass.

Old Posted Today, 12:10 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
That's the most irrelevant point to me? I can't understand the motivation to say it? lol You actually wouldn't mind being uncomfortable and sweat as long as others were as well? Why?

I'm afraid I might be ticking of a psychopath checklist, but I couldn't give less of a fuck what others feel about the temperature. I want to be comfortable myself, and other people sweating when I am is irrelevant to me.
From what I hear, A/C is becoming more common in NL now with the new furnace conversions being the trend. Basements are also a very good refuge from heat. When it was almost 40C here in Vanc. in 2021, there was enough humidity to make it very uncomfortable, some people hung out in the underground parking.

Old Posted Today, 12:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
From what I hear, A/C is becoming more common in NL now with the new furnace conversions being the trend.
I know nothing about this industry, but if what you've said includes installing mini-splits for winter heating (that also, as an afterthought, provide AC), then yes, tens of thousands of homes here have installed them every year for half a decade.

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
I know nothing about this industry, but if what you've said includes installing mini-splits for winter heating (that also, as an afterthought, provide AC), then yes, tens of thousands of homes here have installed them every year for half a decade.
Yes, it's that, and electric furnace conversions using existing ductwork.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
That's fuckin gross. I remember being on the the boardwalk in New Jersey and actually feeling people's sweat as I passed them. Gross as ass.
Not only gross, kind of creepy ....

Old Posted Today, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe if you're a baby

--------

Probably not going to be broken tomorrow, but the record for highest temperature recorded on my weather station, which has been up for 3 years now, is 31.6 degrees (July 24th 2022). Wonder if that can be broken on Thursday.

Old Posted Today, 1:37 AM

30.9 today with a low of 23.3 at my place. I had a ball game in Chatham, it was 33 at game time and super muggy. You get used to it pretty quickly, just have to drink lots of water.

Old Posted Today, 2:02 AM
菠蘿油

It's 10pm and still 30 degrees here in Montreal. I'm sitting on my verandah. Reminds me of being in Hong Kong.

Earlier today when it was 32 I took my camping chair down to Jeanne-Mance Park and worked in a shady spot that gets a nice westerly breeze. Lots of people out lounging on the grass. Delightful.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be 34 and I'll hit the big outdoor pool on St. Helen's Island. I'm looking forward to it because after years of living in a place with a hot subtropical climate I find it hard to get in the water if it's anything below 30 out.

Old Posted Today, 2:50 AM

Quote:

I don't find sweating to be uncomfortable. I just don't like having pit stains.

Old Posted Today, 3:05 AM

30 plus is prime time for the beach. Often there will be a breeze coming in off the water. But even when there isn't, you still look at the water as salvation. It's extra inviting. So, if you're not good with the heat, if you can withstand it for a few minutes before you jump in the water then it's all good. Wouldn't be able to do an all day thing, but at least when you're at the beach, you can strip down to practically naked.

Daughter had a soccer game at 6. No one complained though about the heat. Lots of water breaks though. Plus, there's a splash pad next to the pitch and all the kids were eyeing it beforehand. Lots of wet soccer jerseys today.

I left Oakville at 12:30 and headed up to Milton. When I got out of the car at 1 in Milton it was noticeable hotter. Lake O must have moderated some of that heat. I live in the middle of town as opposed to the lake shore, but we must have felt some effect from the lake.

Re. sweating, it doesn't bother me as long as it's not showing through. So I will wear darker shirts on days like today. And make sure I hit those pits with deodorant. And I'm comforted knowing I can just shower when I get home, which will feel extra refreshing. I would not feel great about it if I were say back country camping and there was no shower facility or a lake/river to jump in.

Try not to look like ex Arizona coach Sean Miller.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/970839

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada