HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:23 PM

Thanks for that confirmation jollyburger. The $150M number was from TL's 2022 business plan.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah the ALR is the only part that concerns me. I rem someone on here comparing the ground there to peanut butter, so deep piles are essential.

I'm hoping they do something similar to what happened when the Millennium Line first opened and start running to the first few stations for testing before opening the whole line. Then we might have a connection to Fleetwood while they're still working on the ALR section (which is the part I think is going to take the longest to build).
Shouldn't be any worse than the Canada Line in Richmond. I remember the elevated section of the Canada Line going up quite fast so hopefully once things start the track won't take to long.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
Shouldn't be any worse than the Canada Line in Richmond. I remember the elevated section of the Canada Line going up quite fast so hopefully once things start the track won't take to long.
Yeah I think unless you are talking about the bog than Richmond is probably just as bad as any conditions along the Fraser Highway corridor.

Research paper on the pile design for the Canada Line sections.

Quote:
A state-of-the-art methodology was applied to the seismic
design of pile group foundations of the Richmond and
Airport sections of the project. The elevated guideway,
using 6 to 10 m high piers is supported by groups of 4 to
12 piles. Bigger clusters of 16 to 20 piles were required at
Stations.
https://emplexconsulting.com/wp-cont...neRAV_2007.pdf

They said the land for the Evergreen Extension wasn't that great either.

Quote:
The areas east of the north portal of the tunnel to west of Pinetree Way and the section along
Pinetree Way north of the Lougheed highway generally consist of loose to compact fill, debris fan, and
shoreline deposits, over marine clay/silt deposits, over till-like materials. These areas are likely to
experience significant liquefaction and large lateral spreading as a result
https://www.caee.ca/pdf/Paper_93844.pdf

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:14 PM

........So one more of the three major contracts to award?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:33 PM

The Expo and new Broadway extension also have elevated portions constructed on the False Creek Flats, which are also bog/swamp. Shouldn't be a surprise to any civil engineer on how to construct this through the ALR.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:21 PM

I just assume some DEEP piles.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:26 PM

The systems and track work contract has been awarded to SNC-Lavalin along with a local electrical contractor.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024MOTI0058-000654

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:45 AM

nice to see its been awarded. itll be good when this extension opens. the UBC Extension will be the next priority after it. then we will have a pretty good network.

though i wish there was someone else other than SNC. sigh. theyre so corrupt its ridiculous theyre even allowed to bid on these things.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:45 PM

2024 engagement is upcoming - June 18 to June 30, 2024

The Surrey Langley SkyTrain project is looking for public feedback on the design of the eight new SkyTrain stations, including station entrances and adjacent plazas.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:43 PM

that render looking pretty good! even though this is close to the final version of what will be built, not sure if it will look exactly like it in reality.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:54 PM

I haven't fully gone through the material, but this immediately jumped out to me while scanning the overview [LINK].

Quote:
Washrooms accessible with the assistance of a Skytrain attendant
#1. Does this mean every station is going to have a full-time attendant?

#2. What right of refusal are attendants going to have? Surely this policy is intended to prevent "undesirables" from trashing/ODing in washrooms, but imagine the uproar when Pivot finds out about that...

#3. Washrooms!

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:56 PM

I like that the pedestrian bridge over 152nd street is confirmed. Good to have secondary entrances for what will be an important arterial bus connection.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:48 PM

I'm of the opinion that skytrains shouldn't have washrooms. It's another cost for them and I'd rather they stick with running buses and trains on time than having to spend their small funds on washrooms. It is a zero sum scenario.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Overall looks fine, though I was hoping that Langley City Centre Station was going to have more flare / sense of place. It's the one station on the line that I would like to see more of a unique design.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

No complaints from me on these station designs! No, they aren't all custom and "gold plated" like the Millennium Line or Vaughan Line 1 extension in Toronto, but I think the Lincoln/Burquitlam Station design as a base design is a good one to be working with. The important things are all there - warmth from the wood panelling, openness/light from the glass, good circulation with the up/down escalators, plazas and bike connections/parkades.

If they really can build this line in 4 years with these nice (but hopefully straightforward) stations, I'll be very impressed!

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
I'm of the opinion that skytrains shouldn't have washrooms. It's another cost for them and I'd rather they stick with running buses and trains on time than having to spend their small funds on washrooms. It is a zero sum scenario.
Tokyo stations have great washrooms in all its stations. But washrooms there are on another level, hopefully, these ones will be well kept.

Better than people just peeing or worse wherever they want, I used to work at an office on Columbia across from the station and at a bus stop and often we'd leave out our staff entrance only to find someone peeing in the doorway, one day someone found a pile of something else.

Old Posted Today, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
There's a compromise solution which is to have washrooms only at certain major stations, such as stations with bus interchanges or Skytrain junctions such as Cambie/Broadway and Lougheed.

When you look at the staffing cost across all of Translink, a handful more contractors to service perhaps a dozen washrooms isn't all that reasonable in order to provide an important public necessity, IMHO.

Old Posted Today, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Tokyo stations have great washrooms in all its stations. But washrooms there are on another level, hopefully, these ones will be well kept.

Better than people just peeing or worse wherever they want, I used to work at an office on Columbia across from the station and at a bus stop and often we'd leave out our staff entrance only to find someone peeing in the doorway, one day someone found a pile of something else.
Well, living in Japan I can first hand tell you why there are so many public washrooms. People in general don't trash / abuse them! So there are minimal upkeep and maintenance costs. You also don't need to spend extra money on anti-criminal / anti-vandalism tactics / deterrents regarding washrooms here, especially outside of Tokyo and Osaka.

For example, right next to my apartment there is a park, and in the park is nice washroom. For context I live in the middle of an urban area of about 200 000 people which is the second node of a greater urban area of around 700 000 people.

In this washroom there is no graffiti, nothing has ever been smashed or broken, and I have never seen any drug use or waste from drug use in or around the washroom. This same washroom could not exist in this state even in urban areas the size of Nanaimo in BC.

So, given the context of Metro-Vancouver, I would argue that public washrooms should only be available at stations that are hubs / major exchanges / destinations where they sadly need to be monitored by staff.

Old Posted Today, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well, living in Japan I can first hand tell you why there are so many public washrooms. People in general don't trash / abuse them! So there are minimal upkeep and maintenance costs. You also don't need to spend extra money on anti-criminal / anti-vandalism tactics / deterrents regarding washrooms here, especially outside of Tokyo and Osaka.

For example, right next to my apartment there is a park, and in the park is nice washroom. For context I live in the middle of an urban area of about 200 000 people which is the second node of a greater urban area of around 700 000 people.

In this washroom there is no graffiti, nothing has ever been smashed or broken, and I have never seen any drug use or waste from drug use in or around the washroom. This same washroom could not exist in this state even in urban areas the size of Nanaimo in BC.

So, given the context of Metro-Vancouver, I would argue that public washrooms should only be available at stations that are hubs / major exchanges / destinations where they sadly need to be monitored by staff.
U.S. comedian Jimmy Kimmel says he was blown away by Japan’s bathrooms Apr. 5, 2024
https://japantoday.com/category/ente...’s-bathrooms
"We were in Japan for seven days. Not only did I not encounter a single dirty bathroom, the bathrooms in Tokyo and Kyoto are cleaner than our [hospital] operating rooms here."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure