Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck
Okay there Mr. giggly. The last thing I’ll say on this is that the population increase in Metro Vancouver is happening too fast and is not sustainable over the long term. I am not against development, but I am not a fan of the new provincial legislation that gives developers free rein to further increase density, especially in areas like Brentwood and Metrotown, where there are already many development projects in the pipeline that will increase density enough. All I am saying is we need to keep development in check so we can balance livability and density.
|
I'm pretty sure the provincial legislation doesn't affect Metrotown at all, Burnaby's existing plans already allow more density than the provincial legislation requires. The densities you're seeing being built in Brentwood are also from Burnaby's current plan, which similarly allows far greater density than the provincial legislation requires.
The exception is that a small area of Brentwood is within 800m of the transit station, but wasn't zoned by Burnaby for any greater density. That will have to be revisited, but the provincial legislation doesn't require especially high densities, or tall buildings in that area, just more than the existing housing. Obviously Burnaby Council could choose to allow more density, but that wouldn't be as a result of the provincial legislation.