Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn
If Saint John is amalgamated by then, I’d really hope we’d go with a new name for the region as a whole. I know some people think Saint John’s name confusion with St. John’s isn’t a big deal, but I think it’s a much bigger deal than many are willing to admit, and one that is hard to quantify and find statistics on. It greatly impacts Saint John’s ability to market and brand itself, not just for tourism, but immigration too.
All I know for sure is that he naming confusion impacts Saint John more negatively than it does St. John’s, and that it would be good to figure out a way to deal with this issue once and for all. Changing the spelling from St. John to Saint John wasn’t it, but amalgamating and going with a new name for the region could be just the prescription needed to deal with the naming confusion between the Atlantic Canada’s two oldest cities with incredibly similar names.
|
I’ve comedically brought this up before, and it’s true the branding is not on Saint John’s side for sure. That said, a different name would be a hard sell and the idea wouldn’t go anywhere.
In the end, anyone who matters already knows the difference. It’s up to City leadership to get out and sell the city as it stands to those who don’t.