HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC system is definitely objectively better than Osaka if you ever rode on both.
Seoul is okay. I think once they do the current expansions, the coverage will be comparable. Moscow is similar. Tokyo is objectively better.
If you include the whole Kansai region, it seems more comprehensive than New York and probably carries more passengers overall.

And most of those competitors in the top 20 have very good and massive bus systems.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
With NY vs London, I disagree that it's at all arguable. London would be the clear and decisive winner. NY subway vs London Underground is arguable, but the overall transit systems? London has way too much other stuff. DLR is a good match for PATH, but there's around triple the number of suburban rail routes in Greater London including stuff like Thameslink, Elizabeth Line, and the Overground. And the suburban rail is generally more frequent. I think people outside London forget a lot of the other stuff since it mostly isn't as visible and iconic.
And the bus system. London has a massive one. Bus is transit.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
If you include the whole Kansai region, it seems more comprehensive than New York and probably carries more passengers overall.
Than we are talking about suburban/region rail. The Osaka metro itself is mickey mouse compared to NYC subway, regardless of ridership numbers (I am not even going to look these up). The scale is self-evident when you ride both in person. Osaka is just a much smaller city, regardless of cobbled together agglomeration stats.
Quote:
And most of those competitors in the top 20 have very good and massive bus systems.
So is NYC. NYC bus is huge (it is so big, I believe there is no unified NYC city bus map, it has to be broken up by boroughs), it probably has lower ridership because everyone prefers the faster subway instead (except a few bus routes).
For example, here are the Brooklyn and Manhattan sections of the bus. You can also get the feel for the coverage:
https://new.mta.info/sites/default/f...f/manbus_4.pdf
https://new.mta.info/document/12041

Two things that NYC has compared to the other systems is 1. express trains and 24/7 service (I have never seen express subway trains outside of NYC, it requires quadruple tracks on a single line.) 2. Unified flat rate ticket system, regardless of zones/distance. I believe Moscow is also unified flat rate.

Last edited by Gantz; May 22, 2024 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:42 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
And the bus system. London has a massive one. Bus is transit.
For sure I'm just not familiar enough with their bus systems to comment.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
But by what metric? Why would it be better than São Paulo's, for instance? Headways are shorter here, more passengers are carried and the system will much better kept. Regarding London, they're similar, but London is usually ranked better, even without including their bus system that's superior than New York.
Well, for starters, the NYC subway alone is about 5x the length of the São Paulo metro. Almost no system matches the NYC subway for coverage. It is most likely first or second in the entire world in that regard, even above gold standard systems like Tokyo and London. And that's all while the system has barely been added to in over a century.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Well, for starters, the NYC subway alone is about 5x the length of the São Paulo metro. Almost no system matches the NYC subway for coverage. It is most likely first or second in the entire world in that regard, even above gold standard systems like Tokyo and London. And that's all while the system has barely been added to in over a century.
Nah Tokyo's system is massive. NYC probably has comparable coverage, but Tokyo system is better in my opinion. The only somewhat major drawbacks are that it closes too early and JR and metro are not unified. Out of all the systems I've travelled on, Tokyo is by far the best in the world.

Imagine if Metro North + LIRR + NJT were through running and all used OMNY under one system, PATH rolled into NYC subway, and there were express true HSR one seat ride trains for all 3 airports into Penn/Grand Central- that would still be short of what Tokyo has.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
With NY vs London, I disagree that it's at all arguable. London would be the clear and decisive winner. NY subway vs London Underground is arguable, but the overall transit systems? London has way too much other stuff. DLR is a good match for PATH, but there's around triple the number of suburban rail routes in Greater London including stuff like Thameslink, Elizabeth Line, and the Overground. And the suburban rail is generally more frequent. I think people outside London forget a lot of the other stuff since it mostly isn't as visible and iconic.
The Overground, to me, feels like an extension of the Tube. I think in combination that makes the Tube+Overground competitive with the NYC subway, but not just the Underground alone. I will accept as fact that London has better suburban rail, but that's not really my point. My point is mostly about transit inside the city.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I always found the Tube more intuitive than the NY subway but then again, I've used the Tube a lot more often.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Nah Tokyo's system is massive. NYC probably has comparable coverage, but Tokyo system is better in my opinion. The only somewhat major drawbacks are that it closes too early and JR and metro are not unified. Out of all the systems I've travelled on, Tokyo is by far the best in the world.
I don't think Tokyo's rapid transit system is as long as NYC's.

Quote:
Imagine if Metro North + LIRR + NJT were through running and all used OMNY under one system, PATH rolled into NYC subway, and there were express true HSR one seat ride trains for all 3 airports into Penn/Grand Central- that would still be short of what Tokyo has.
I think Tokyo's regional rail is so seamless with the urban rapid-transit that it makes it feel larger, but everything I can find online says that the NYC subway is longer than Tokyo's two rapid-transit systems combined. That said, I think Tokyo is the clear overall winner. I do recall there being major gaps in coverage where I walked a lot farther to get to a station than I would in similar circumstances in NYC. So I still give NYC the edge on coverage, but I do agree that Tokyo is the overall better system.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
But by what metric? Why would it be better than São Paulo's, for instance?
Sao Paulo has a relatively small system, basically a few elevated lines, not even a real comprehensive network. One line is just a monorail. The ridership is a consequence of a developing world megacity where cars are unaffordable to most and not directly relevant to coverage or quality.
Quote:
So you have London, Paris, Moscow (?), several Chinese cities, Tokyo, Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto, São Paulo, Seoul. New York is definitely top 20, but not necessarily a top 10. Given the massive size of the metro area and how wealthy they are, even New York could do better and US has only NY.
NY has, by most measures, the largest subway system on earth. Most track miles, most revenue miles, most stations, most train cars, highest capacity, only four track system, only comprehensive 24-hr system. And really only London and Paris are as iconic, and both have lower ridership.

Tokyo and Seoul also have great metro systems. The Chinese systems are all essentially "cheating" as subway, light rail and commuter rail is all metro. Tokyo, Paris, London and NY would have 1,000+ station metro systems using Chinese norms.

In terms of comprehensive, metropolitan rail networks, I'd say only Tokyo and Paris are clearly a level higher. London is about at the same level. Tokyo has, by far, the most comprehensive metropolitan rail network, tho I'd say Paris is best.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
The Overground, to me, feels like an extension of the Tube. I think in combination that makes the Tube+Overground competitive with the NYC subway, but not just the Underground alone. I will accept as fact that London has better suburban rail, but that's not really my point. My point is mostly about transit inside the city.
Feels? But is there anything substantive there to justify that feeling? The Overground uses completely different rolling stock, has a different frequency and service pattern, and other than the east London line that the Overground took over, the infrastructure is quite different. Overground took over existing rail lines while most of the underground was purpose built with the parts within the city being mostly underground.

For me, the Underground alone competes with the Subway because they have the same route length while on one hand the UG is faster, cleaner, and better maintained with preferable station design (for my tastes). On the other hand, the Subway has more stations, both express and local on many lines, longer trains, and therefore higher capacity. It's arguable but I don't see a clear winner (although the RM Transit channel puts the UG as winner by a hair).

But the reason I mentioned those other lines is that they provide service in urban areas, not just out in distant suburbs. The Elizabeth Line and Thameslink act as express routes right through the heart of town the way the RER does for Paris, while many other suburban lines offer frequent service to areas equivalent to the outer burroughs. It's different from NYC where suburban trains mostly bypass urban areas on their way to far out places. The combination of that and the UG's wider station spacing makes up for the lack of express service.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Than we are talking about suburban/region rail. The Osaka metro itself is mickey mouse compared to NYC subway, regardless of ridership numbers (I am not even going to look these up). The scale is self-evident when you ride both in person. Osaka is just a much smaller city, regardless of cobbled together agglomeration stats.
Yeah, I always talk about whole regions, after all it's a commuting system. People come from far away.

I'd say Kansai region, a 18 million people urban agglomeration has a more comprehensive system than New York metro area (21 million). That's why I say NY is a Top 20.

Quote:
So is NYC. NYC bus is huge (it is so big, I believe there is no unified NYC city bus map, it has to be broken up by boroughs), it probably has lower ridership because everyone prefers the faster subway instead (except a few bus routes).
For example, here are the Brooklyn and Manhattan sections of the bus. You can also get the feel for the coverage:
https://new.mta.info/sites/default/f...f/manbus_4.pdf
https://new.mta.info/document/12041

Two things that NYC has compared to the other systems is 1. express trains and 24/7 service (I have never seen express subway trains outside of NYC, it requires quadruple tracks on a single line.) 2. Unified flat rate ticket system, regardless of zones/distance. I believe Moscow is also unified flat rate.
São Paulo has only an unified rate. You can cross the whole metro area paying only one R$ 5 (US$ 1) ticket. Integration between bus, subway and railways are completely seamless. The whole system (subway, railway and buses) carried 2.9 billion passengers before 2019. Now it's about 2.5 billion.

-----------------------------------

As we discussed, a video about Osaka system (it only talks briefly about Kobe and Kyoto):

Video Link

And London Underground vs New York Subway:

Video Link

Spoiler: he ranked London slightly above.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Sao Paulo has a relatively small system, basically a few elevated lines, not even a real comprehensive network. One line is just a monorail. The ridership is a consequence of a developing world megacity where cars are unaffordable to most and not directly relevant to coverage or quality.
São Paulo has 377 km of tracks (subway+railway), 185 stations and carries 1.8 billion passengers a year. The system is safer and much cleaner than New York's, headways are smaller (90 sec), trains are bigger and it's now handling the same ammount of passengers. I've ridden subways in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam and Brussels and from the user experience, I'd pick São Paulo over all of them. Cleaner, not-smelly, lowest waiting time.

And you're wrong: there are 12.5 million cars (not including motorcycles) in São Paulo metro area (20.7 million people). That's one of the largest car fleets in the world and I believe the highest car density in the world (Los Angeles metro area got slightly more cars than SP, but it has 2.5x bigger urban footprint).

The vast majority of households own at least one car. Sadly São Paulo is incredibly autocentric.

Quote:
NY has, by most measures, the largest subway system on earth. Most track miles, most revenue miles, most stations, most train cars, highest capacity, only four track system, only comprehensive 24-hr system. And really only London and Paris are as iconic, and both have lower ridership.

Tokyo and Seoul also have great metro systems. The Chinese systems are all essentially "cheating" as subway, light rail and commuter rail is all metro. Tokyo, Paris, London and NY would have 1,000+ station metro systems using Chinese norms.

In terms of comprehensive, metropolitan rail networks, I'd say only Tokyo and Paris are clearly a level higher. London is about at the same level. Tokyo has, by far, the most comprehensive metropolitan rail network, tho I'd say Paris is best.
That's not the 1990's. New York Subway is not on the top by any measurement. It's actually out of top 10 in most of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems

And again, transit is not subway: it's buses and railway as well. Building new transit is not "cheating". Buses, trams, suburban railway, monorail, light rail all carry people to their jobs.

By world standards, New York is only ok. A top 20, definitely way behind many developing cities and tied with several others, such as São Paulo (which is not on top 10 either).

Last edited by Yuri; May 23, 2024 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Feels? But is there anything substantive there to justify that feeling? The Overground uses completely different rolling stock, has a different frequency and service pattern, and other than the east London line that the Overground took over, the infrastructure is quite different. Overground took over existing rail lines while most of the underground was purpose built with the parts within the city being mostly underground.

For me, the Underground alone competes with the Subway because they have the same route length while on one hand the UG is faster, cleaner, and better maintained with preferable station design (for my tastes). On the other hand, the Subway has more stations, both express and local on many lines, longer trains, and therefore higher capacity. It's arguable but I don't see a clear winner (although the RM Transit channel puts the UG as winner by a hair).
One thing I dislike about the Underground is that the cars are cramped and can be uncomfortable for standing if you're taller than 6 feet. That fact, the lack of express routes, and the absence of 24 hour rail service makes the Underground a little behind NYC's subway, IMO. The Tube is definitely cleaner than the NY subway and stations are generally better kept, but I think the NY subway is a little better to use. NYC also has a flat fare for the entire system instead of distance zoning, which can make a trip on the Tube absurdly expensive.

The Overground feels much more like a NYC subway car to me, while it operates like a hybrid of a subway and commuter line. Admittedly, NY metro doesn't have a lot of middle ground rail service between a rapid-transit line and a commuter line like Paris's RER and London's Overground. That might be because there's not much need for it in the area covered by the subway. The PATH is the closest we have to that in the region.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:18 PM

A comparison of transit systems is pretty irrelevant.

The premise of this thread is comparing London, which is the UK's center of government, finance, media, etc., to "U.S. cities", none of which are all of those things.

That said, NYC is so dominant in so many realms that even if it were the capital of the United States (or merely the state of New York!) it's hard to imagine it being much different.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
A comparison of transit systems is pretty irrelevant.

The premise of this thread is comparing London, which is the UK's center of government, finance, media, etc., to "U.S. cities", none of which are all of those things.

That said, NYC is so dominant in so many realms that even if it were the capital of the United States (or merely the state of New York!) it's hard to imagine it being much different.
NYC is definitely the shadow capital of NYS. It's hard not to have that situation develop when half the state lives in the city.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
NYC is definitely the shadow capital of NYS. It's hard not to have that situation develop when half the state lives in the city.
Yes, NYC acts like a state within a state; my birth certificate was issued by NYS while my marriage certificate was issued by NYC.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:59 PM

Quote:
If the New York metropolitan area was limited to the City of New York, then maybe. But there are 12 million people living beyond the city limits, and the rail service in these places is pretty spotty. Sure, compared to other North American metros it's fine, but can we compare diesel lines that run hourly to places like Port Jervis or along the Raritan valley to European RER?

Even within NYC, there are huge gaps, especially in Queens, and then there's the fact that with the exception of the neglected G train, all routes require you to travel to Manhattan to make trips between the outer boroughs.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Not often that I’d quote myself but the ONS have released the latest half-yearly figures on migration. The previous reporting periods saw provisional estimates revised up. Net migration levels are still expected to fall, but at a slower pace.

Source: ONS, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ngdecember2023

Quote:
London and New York have systems that move similar numbers of people. Good transit does exist in the U.S. that is on par with the best transit systems in the world. Transit policy is treated as a local issue in the United States though, unlike most other countries, so results will vary.
Prior to the pandemic, I think the ridership was starting to diverge, a divide that has only grown post-pandemic.

Looking at the daily counts for both systems, Tube ridership is now regularly beating Subway ridership (last week of April: 22.87mn v 22.31mn) which would have been inconceivable half a decade ago. London Buses move 5x as many people as NYC Buses (34.63mn v 7.32mn).

Total MNR, LIRR, SIR, NJT and PATH ridership in 2023 totalled just 254mn. The Elizabeth Line alone was 209mn. You then have the London Overground, 18 other Train Operating Companies (TOC’s), the Docklands Light Railway and Tram. The divide is certainly down to London’s stronger post-pandemic recovery relative to New York, but it is also down to sound investment decisions over the past two decades to drive a better ridership experience that encourages people to use public transportation.

Quote:
Ridership isn't directly related to transit quality, obviously. Washington has a world-class subway system; one of the better ones anywhere. There's no real subway system in the UK outside of London (yes, there's a tiny 19th century loop in Glasgow).
Newcastle has a metro system, and Liverpool has a quasi-metro/commuter setup similar to BART, but most of the UK tends to be dominated by S-Bahn/RE like systems. The early development of railways in the UK meant most cities tended to have large rail networks prior to the arrival of metro systems.

Quote:
And the Chicago suburban rail network is far larger/more comprehensive than anything in the UK outside of London.
It’s hard to make a direct comparison as British cities don’t tend to operate their own commuter rail networks, instead being served by multiple different TOC’s providing different services. Even London which is served by 20 TOC’s, only has direct control over two of them. Birmingham as another example is served by 5 TOC’s, but if you took the West Midland Trains TOC, that has a network spanning 900km (compared to METRA’s 785km), of course WMT doesn’t serve every passenger line in and around Birmingham, so the actual network is larger.

This is a consequence of the dense urban settlement landscape of Britain that has produced an interconnected, overlapping rail network. Contrast that to North America where city rail systems are isolated and predominantly hub-and-spoke. London Northwestern Railway as an example operates as a commuter service operator for Birmingham, London and Liverpool, and also provides a stopping long-distance intercity service. It would be a bit like NJ Transit’s Northeast Corridor Line and SEPTA’s Trenton Line being the same commuter service between New York and Philadelphia.

Of course, having a large network is irrelevant if the actual service that operates is substandard, whether that be slow moving trains operating on antiquated tracks and signalling, at-grade crossings and other conflicts, and services that only operate in one direction at peak, or intermittent and unreliable frequencies. With the interconnected setup in Britain, you have all-day bi-directional frequency services across the country which probably comes as a surprise for anyone in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
South Asian food was good in London when I was there (many years ago).

In general, yeah, you don’t visit Britain for food.

In the case of homebucket’s home region of the Bay Area, if all you care about is food, I’d say there’s little need to travel internationally (great for the environment, too!)
Over the past twenty or so years, the London food scene has experienced a rather dramatic (and positive) transformation which makes pre-2000 food look comically laughable. London now hosts more restaurants with Michelin stars than New York for example.

Quote:
I don't think Tokyo's rapid transit system is as long as NYC's.

I think Tokyo's regional rail is so seamless with the urban rapid-transit that it makes it feel larger, but everything I can find online says that the NYC subway is longer than Tokyo's two rapid-transit systems combined. That said, I think Tokyo is the clear overall winner. I do recall there being major gaps in coverage where I walked a lot farther to get to a station than I would in similar circumstances in NYC. So I still give NYC the edge on coverage, but I do agree that Tokyo is the overall better system.
The combined Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway is smaller than the New York Subway, but they are but two mass-transit systems that operate in and around Tokyo, many of which are for all intents and purposes identical in operation to a metro service, e.g. the Yamanote Line. The scale and density of the Tokyo rail network has no peer.

Quote:
One thing I dislike about the Underground is that the cars are cramped and can be uncomfortable for standing if you're taller than 6 feet. That fact, the lack of express routes, and the absence of 24 hour rail service makes the Underground a little behind NYC's subway, IMO. The Tube is definitely cleaner than the NY subway and stations are generally better kept, but I think the NY subway is a little better to use. NYC also has a flat fare for the entire system instead of distance zoning, which can make a trip on the Tube absurdly expensive.

The Overground feels much more like a NYC subway car to me, while it operates like a hybrid of a subway and commuter line. Admittedly, NY metro doesn't have a lot of middle ground rail service between a rapid-transit line and a commuter line like Paris's RER and London's Overground. That might be because there's not much need for it in the area covered by the subway. The PATH is the closest we have to that in the region.
Express services are a bit of a misnomer; the average end-to-end service line speed for Subway express lines are the same as the average for Underground lines (c. 42.77kph). Local service speeds in New York are possibly the slowest metro services on the planet which I suspect due to the degradation of the historic infrastructure, close station distances, and lack of modernisation such as digital signalling, the latter also explains the low line frequencies.

London also operates a limited 24-hour service on several Underground, one Overground line and Thameslink, with plans to introduce more lines, but I can’t envision 24/7 operation as that would compromise the integrity of ongoing maintenance and infrastructure upgrades, which is part of the reason behind issues present in New York but not elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
If the New York metropolitan area was limited to the City of New York, then maybe. But there are 12 million people living beyond the city limits, and the rail service in these places is pretty spotty. Sure, compared to other North American metros it's fine, but can we compare diesel lines that run hourly to places like Port Jervis or along the Raritan valley to European RER?

Even within NYC, there are huge gaps, especially in Queens, and then there's the fact that with the exception of the neglected G train, all routes require you to travel to Manhattan to make trips between the outer boroughs.
New York metro area rail service is the best in North America, but it is significantly behind peer cities on pretty every conceivable measure (network scope, capacity, frequencies, rolling stock, destinations, ridership, connectivity, accessibility, investment, etc…). The lack of orbital rail inside the city and further afield is a massive handicap, particularly in the post-pandemic world where not everyone wants to go in and back out again.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ wow we rarely see so many incorrect remarks on a reply —
this comedian is like an aussie version of you —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5e5z...c5eWw2aTVmeTNs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions