Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
Hmm that's different. I stayed at UofM a few years ago and had no idea I was downtown. 
|
I guess there are strategic or political reasons for wanting to have the U de Mtl included in the definition of downtown.
In Gatineau there is also an oddity which is the Boulevard St-Joseph commercial strip which is right up on the left edge of the official downtown demarcated by the red lines on this map. This is a mid to late 20th century commercial strip where I assume business owners lobbied to be included in "downtown" for financial reasons of some sort.
In reality, while that is definitely an inner city area, everyone considers the area bounded by water to the right of that (literally an island, named Hull), as our true downtown. And more specificially the southernmost portion of it. Once you're off the island, you're clearly no longer downtown.
https://www.gatineau.ca/docs/guichet_municipal/centre_ville_gatineau/carte.pdf