Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City
If you're comparing Sydney to Toronto over the past decade, it was less affordable ten years ago compared to Toronto, and it still is today.
Sydney’s price to income ratio in 2013 it was 9.2, and in 2023 it's 15.8. Toronto’s in 2013 was 6.2 and it’s now 13.3.
And it's getting no cheaper there; up to September this year “House prices in Sydney this year are up 8.1%, and apartments up 2.1%” while the TREB data shows Toronto detached house prices were up 3.75 % and apartments up 0.27% in the smae 1-year interval
|
Your numbers show that Sydney's affordability has worsened by 71% versus 145% in Toronto during that period, but even then I'm not sure its entirely accurate. What price and type of income are they comparing?
GTA Median Home price was
$1.08 million in November 2023 vs
$1.125 million in Greater Sydney. Sydney is 4% more expensive, but local incomes are also 7% more.
Median before-tax household income in Greater Sydney was
$104,000 in 2021 versus
$97,000 in the GTA
Monthly mortgage payment in Toronto CMA 2021 was $
2333 vs $
2427 in Greater Sydney. Again, a 4% difference put up against a 7% difference in incomes.
Rentals are the same - a 1 br in Toronto is
$2594 versus
$2720 in Sydney. Again, a 4% difference offset by a 7% difference in incomes.
Both seem to be the same, with Sydney being marginally cheaper taking into account local incomes. The comparison looks worse for Vancouver. But the greater point here is the direction Canada is headed, where affordability is deteriorating far more rapidly than in Australia. Like I said, your own numbers show that Toronto's affordability has been worsening a rate 2x that of Sydney.
Also, I feel like I've posted all of these numbers many times this year. I'm fairly certain you're the same poster I responded to the last time I posted these numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy
The point is that Australia has recognized that you cannot have an affordable housing market and still bring in hundreds of thousands of people every year which is something Trudeau can't {won't} get his head around. Now he has just announced VISAs for Gazans who have any relatives in Canada so we are about to get even more people coming into the country who can't speak either English or French.
Australia has decided to put the needs of its citizens first while Canada continues to put the needs of evey one but Canadians first.
|
These are being billed as temporary visas, but with a 3-year duration its extremely unlikely that any of these people will ever go back.
We're three weeks from the end of the year, and we're on pace for a population growth of about 1.7 million people this year, which is entirely driven by immigration. That's 700,000 more than last year's record of 1 million. I don't think there's any developed country in the world growing at this rate, and not even many developing countries are matching our pace.