Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensei
On a very unrelated note, I recently came to the realization that if I had a nickel for every time Downtown Boise has built (or is planning to build) a high-rise that is very wide on one side and very skinny on the other, I would have 4 nickels (Aspen, Grove, Ovation, 12th&Idaho) which isn't a lot... but it's strange that it's happened 4 times all very recently. Does anyone know why that is?
|
I believe that in general, high rises that are designed to be apartments or hotels want to maximize the amount of windows per room, whereas office buildings want to maximize available space to lease out. It would not be ideal to have an apartment with little to no windows, which could happen if your building was not narrow. As for Boise specifically, I think that at least the Aspen Lofts and Grove Hotel were influenced by their environment. The actual Aspen apartment structure was built a few years after the parking garage that it sits atop. Now I do not know if they originally planned to build an apartment building there when constructing the parking garage, but even if they did, it's much easier to not have to build over a structure and make everything structurally sound. And with the Grove, it obviously houses the ICCU arena within, which again, would make building over that part much more difficult.