HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:15 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
look at us still talking
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 6,685
I mean, the brown line bridge over the Chicago River is absolutely splendid, for one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:45 PM
Six Corners Six Corners is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Omaha -> Chicago -> St. Louis
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I have no Idea what kind of squires it was in Iowa but no one called them fox squires, just big red ones.
They are indeed Fox Squirrels. Having lived in Iowa for some time as well as other Fox Squirrel territory, I think people just don't know what the official name of these squirrels is. Especially since, even though supposedly their territories overlap, I don't ever remember seeing an Eastern Gray Squirrel anywhere in central Iowa or west from there.

To that end, I remember a TV broadcaster discussing the Fox Squirrel as the unofficial mascot of Iowa's Grinnell College during a football game, or something like that. He was under the impression that the school had chosen to combine together a beast that was half fox and half squirrel as its mascot. His co-broadcaster was not aware of the Fox Squirrel as a type of squirrel either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:56 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,825
Some people here keep saying Fox squirrels are "slightly" larger than Gray squirrels.

No, they're more like twice the size.

Fox squirrel
Quote:
The fox squirrel's total length measures 20 to 30 in
Eastern gray squirrel
Quote:
The head and body length is from 23 to 30 cm (9.1 to 11.8 in)
The smallest Fox squirrel is almost twice the length of the largest Gray squirrel.

I think the ones you're seeing that are 'slightly' larger than Gray squirrels are probably the Red squirrels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:04 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 12,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Some people here keep saying Fox squirrels are "slightly" larger than Gray squirrels.

No, they're more like twice the size.

Fox squirrel

Eastern gray squirrel


The smallest Fox squirrel is almost twice the length of the largest Gray squirrel.

I think the ones you're seeing that are 'slightly' larger than Gray squirrels are probably the Red squirrels.
I don't think I've ever seen a red squirrel, unless I confused it for a chipmunk or something. Eastern gray squirrels are definitely the predominant squirrel in NYC. The wikipedia entry for gray squirrel also shows a typical "black squirrel" that I've seen in both Detroit and New York.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:12 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 7,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I can only think of a handful of scenic rides above ground... 7 train between Hunters Point and Queensboro Plaza, the N/Q/D over the Manhattan Bridge, and J/Z over the Williamsburg Bridge.
To me, there's tons of scenic routes on elevated lines. Obviously, any of the trains crossing a bridge into/out of Manhattan, but I pretty much love going through the dense urbanity of it all above street level. You get views of the city you otherwise cannot see.

3 Lenox Ave line, 1/9 Broadway line, White Plains line 2/5 maybe?, 6 Pelham Bay line, 4 Woodlawn line, J train from the bridge to Metropolitan Ave... there's a ton more

I love this stuff.











Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:15 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
^ agreed x1,000,000!

Any and all of that is more interesting than rolling through a dark featureless underground tube.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I mean, the brown line bridge over the Chicago River is absolutely splendid, for one.
For sure.

In fact, I'm just about to roll across it in a moment.

But even when I'm just rolling past ordinary residential buildings up in North Center or wherever, it's still more interesting than looking out at the dark blank walls of the red line subway (or any subway, anywhere).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:35 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
4. I kinda get The El, but really, I don't get The El. NYC tore down its elevated rail lines decades ago (at least in Manhattan). Was there some technical reason why they couldn't have subways in those routes instead? After all there are subways elsewhere in downtown. I almost get the impression they've left them up because, well, it's a signature Chicago thing and what would downtown Chicago be without The El? Or something along those lines. But really, like all elevated rails it's ugly and noisy. I think they should bite the bullet and do a gradual process of getting rid of the thing. If I've committed blasphemy by saying that, too bad.
You are entitled to your opinion of course, even if you're dead wrong.

Just like in NYC and Boston, there was a strong desire in Chicago to push the L underground in the early-mid 20th century. The city/CTA drew up plans several times, they even got very close to construction during the 1970s but they never quite raised enough money before stagflation put the pricetag out of reach. The funds they did raise were re-directed into cheaper, outward extensions of the system to O'Hare and Midway airports, refurbishing the Loop structure and some of its downtown stations, and the short subway link in the South Loop that created the Red Line (between Roosevelt and Chinatown).

Also during the 1970s/80s, we kinda learned to love the L tracks and embrace them. Ever see Risky Business? They became an emblem of the city. Unfortunately, there are certain operational problems you get when 5 rail lines converge to circulate around a flat loop of track. CTA has squeezed as much efficiency as they can with modern signals on an 1890s structure, but there is definitely an upper limit that CTA will reach very quickly if the city ever starts to grow again.

The answer is not to tear down the Loop, but probably involves building a 3rd downtown subway, maybe for a Brown-Orange or Purple-Orange routing. The downtown has also grown substantially to the north, west, and south, and the downtown transit system has not grown along with it. It's basically the same transit system we've had since 1951, and it was designed to pick you up in a neighborhood and drop you at the very epicenter. It is not especially convenient to get around downtown, with poor connections between lines and recently, low service frequencies making any kind of connection a very painful/slow experience.

Quote:
14. Speaking of Wrigley, and back to my discussion of the El, I saw that the El goes all the way up there, too (and no doubt much farther north). I suppose it would be impractical to build a subway all the way up there so I got the idea ... if they ever got some money to replace it, they could replace it with a monorail! They could replace all that steel stuff with a nice, more compactly-built concrete doohicky and have monorails with rubber wheels. Like in Disney World. Would be much nicer-looking, be a lot quieter, and be futuristic-looking too boot! They could do that downtown, too.
With the exception of Lake Street, the L lines outside of downtown tend to run along alleys or in the middle of blocks. They don't run directly over streets like in NYC outer boroughs. So they are screened by buildings and aren't a big deal visually. They're still noisy, but you can learn to live with it. Getting an apartment next to the L is actually a nice way to knock a few hundred off your rent... anyway, you can even fix the noise problem for a fraction of the cost of burying. CTA is rebuilding an older section of L with a modern concrete viaduct and the result is already much quieter.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 30, 2023 at 9:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:43 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The city/CTA drew up plans several times, they even got very close to construction during the 1970s but they never quite raised enough money before stagflation put the pricetag out of reach. The funds they did raise were re-directed into cheaper, outward extensions of the system to O'Hare and Midway airports.
What a fortuitous outcome!

The loop L got saved AND we got heavy rail extensions to the city's two major airports instead.

Man, Chicago rarely ever gets that — lucky.






Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Also during the 1970s/80s, we kinda learned to love the L tracks and embrace them. Ever see Risky Business?
Or much more recently, how about "The Bear"?

Is there a single on-location exterior scene in the entire series that doesn't have an L train rumbling by in the background? (I'm sure there are, but it's still used egregiously as a setting device. Like, no —, we get it already, Chicago has L trains).

It seriously gives the impression that there are L's running down every single street and alley in the whole city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 10:14 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

They're still noisy, but you can learn to live with it.
Totally.

But it seems to be a point that's lost on those who've never lived it.

The brown line goes right down the alley behind our 3-flat, where L trains rumble by every several minutes all night long.

I then ride the brown line every morning to my office down in the loop on the 5th floor of a building on Wells directly overlooking the loop elevated tracks where L trains echo through the skyscraper canyons every several minutes all day long.

After which, I then ride the L back home to Lincoln Square where brown line trains rumble past our 3-flat every several minutes all evening long.

Rinse and repeat.

On a daily basis, I'm usually never more than 100 feet from an L line.

The noise of the L is omnipresent in my life.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's the symphony of the city!



And I love how an L train literally just roared by our building as I pressed the save button to edit this post!

Omnipresent.indeed.







Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Getting an apartment next to the L is actually a nice way to knock a few hundred off your rent...
Or even $50K off your mortgage (according to our realtor)!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 30, 2023 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:24 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
What a fortuitous outcome!

The loop L got saved AND we got heavy rail extensions to the city's two major airports instead.

Man, Chicago rarely ever gets that — lucky.








Or much more recently, how about "The Bear"?

Is there a single on-location exterior scene in the entire series that doesn't have an L train rumbling by in the background? (I'm sure there are, but it's still used egregiously as a setting device. Like, no —, we get it already, Chicago has L trains).

It seriously gives the impression that there are L's running down every single street and alley in the whole city.
The 'L' also featured prominently in the popular TV show Shameless with William H. Macy as the degenerate drug and alcohol fueled deadbeat Dad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:38 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 23,152
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:40 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,825
^
That's the first thing I think of when somebody mentions the El.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 1:17 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
That blues brothers scene has to be the most classic and iconic Chicago L scene for those of a certain generation (X).


Another excellent one from that era is this scene from Running Scared, which I believe is still the only movie/TV show to utilize Chicago's famous L tracks as the setting for an utterly implausible, and awesomely preposterous, car chase scene.

• Video Link


(Skip to about 3:30 for the L part of the chase)


Also, if you're a Helmut Jahn fan ( and you should be if you're not), the movie is also a must see for the climax that very successively uses the soaring atrium of Jahn's State of Illinois building to "heighten" the drama of the big finale.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 31, 2023 at 1:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:17 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,825
26. I kept seeing this flag everywhere that looked like this:



I thought for a while it was the Argentina flag, and maybe there were some connections to Argentina:



But eventually I just thought it was the State of Illinois flag.

But now I just found out it's the City of Chicago flag.

If Kansas City even has its own flag at all, I'm not sure I've ever seen it. Aside from the American flag, the only flag that regularly gets flown around here is the State of Missouri flag.

27. I noticed there were still a lot of newspaper stands around downtown. I don't recall if I saw any when I was in Manhattan a year ago, but I think maybe a lot of them were gone. I think there are still some in KC, but I'll have to double-check next time I go downtown. Needless to say, there were basically no newspapers in them. It started getting me wondering if they're ever going to get rid of them, or maybe even replace them with, like, maybe some fancy electronic news display thing? Or an electronic map, or something? Might be an opportunity to try something interesting and high tech. This may not be a comment about Chicago, per se, but I happened to notice them while there so I'm mentioning it in this thread.

Last edited by James Bond Agent 007; Oct 31, 2023 at 3:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:43 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,825
#27 cont'd: I just checked on Google street view and I don't think there are any newspaper stands left in downtown KC.

But in Chicago there were still quite a few. I even took a picture of one on the Mag Mile.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8941535,...wVxJQoEjUeA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8967165,...GH6mvzlyuYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8844708,...0_qJfGNuB_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I guess Kansas City is more advanced than Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:52 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post

But eventually I just thought it was the State of Illinois flag.

But now I just found out it's the City of Chicago flag.

If Kansas City even has its own flag at all, I'm not sure I've ever seen it. Aside from the American flag, the only flag that regularly gets flown around here is the State of Missouri flag.
The Chicago flag is a state flag of sorts for the great State of Chicago.

Chicago kinda sees itself as a separate thing from the state it's technically located in.

Chicago is in Chicagoland. Illinois is some other place where all the corn farmers live.

The feeling is mutual.





Also, IL's current state flag is beyond boring and stupid.

But supposedly we're finally gonna get a new one.

I think a design competition for it begins soon.

Maybe if the state flag doesn't — so hard, then perhaps chicagoans won't disavow Illinois so much?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 31, 2023 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:57 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,825
You're right, that does look pretty silly. It looks like something an 8-year-old drew:

https://www.usflags.com/illinois-state-flag.html

Missouri state flag is a pretty typical state flag. It's not exciting or anything but it's not anything embarrassing either. It's OK:
https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/missouri/state-flag/flag-missouri
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:01 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
^ MO's state flag also — (so do most state flags).

Not as hard as IL's, but it's like a 3/10 as opposed to IL's 0/10.


The best flag to come of Missouri is the flag for the city of St. Louis.

Now that's a damn fine proper-looking flag.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:50 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
One of favorite aspects of Chicago's flag is its simplicity.

It makes it very easy to customize and parody the flag.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 12:57 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
Love those El photos, PJ3000.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.