HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:39 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
But, that doesn't change the fact that all of sudden, in 2016, ridership suddenly increased, in a pretty substantial way, after decades of stagnation or decline.
I believe VIA added service and improved on time performance with the Kingston project and rejigged fares a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
The way I interpret that is that it is 9.9 million for all service in the corridor.
I may have seen an infographic that said 9.9 mil "ridership" and misinterpreted that. Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
This is why talking about numbers is hugely challenging. There is no breakdown of numbers beyond these lump sump figures. Based on numbers I have access to at this moment in time I do take a slightly skeptical view of how much ridership will actually increase (especially if there is no Montreal-Quebec north shore segment). But better data could prove me wrong.
I go back to the above. Every time VIA adds trains, they've been able to sell the seats. What they haven't been able to do is sell them profitably. And that's in large part because of operating model that does not enable a profitable operation.

I have no doubt they'll be able to hit 10 million. I actually think they might be low-balling it to not seem ridiculous. Consider that the GTA alone will add a million more residents by 2030. Think of what that will do to regional traffic and in due turn, inter-city travel times. Provide an alternative and people will take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
If the full HFR project gets built then yes I would agree that it becomes something larger than just a proof of concept.
It's starting to sound like you don't really understand what the term "proof of concept" actually means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
What are the odds that is going to happen though? The situation in Montreal with Mont-Royal tunnel and REM is a total mess and dealing with it properly probably wont be cheap, so that hot mess is putting that segment in jeopardy.
1) It's not insurmountable to come up with an operational plan to share the tunnel.

2) They can do HFR on just Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal if there are issues with REM and the Mount Royal Tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
It will allow for more trains, but increased frequency isn't a big show piece,
"Show piece"? I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but frequency is a huge deal. Just ask any of the airlines operating hourly flight schedules in the Corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
make waves with the public
You seem to have this obsession with public perception. Governments don't spend billions on PR stunts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
That is why I say HFR is a proof of concept.
What concept is HFR trying to prove? Like I said, I'm not entirely sure you understand what the term "proof of concept" means.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.