HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
Very well said. I find it stupid when people use such arguements. I live in downtown HULL in a nice afforable area only a few blocks from the Museum of History. I could have chose to live in the suburbs like alot of people do but I won't do that because I like living downtown. I agree lets stop supporting suburban and exurban sprawl, let those who choose to live there pay for themselves.
Not everybody can live in downtown Hull. If they tried to make 'your choice', you could not afford to live there. If I lived in downtown Hull, it would be much less convenient to my job. It would also be a poor match to my lifestyle.

I think it is ridiculous to look down on people's choices. And as far as paying for themselves, I don't know how that can be better accomplished other than market forces. There are already substantial costs for living at a distance. I am not advocating that, but there seems to be some denial.

I bolded one phrase because you only get one vote. Unfortunately, everybody living in the suburbs and exurbs also get a vote. Anti-suburb policies will not get politicians elected where all those people live. Sorry, that is reality. And draconian policies designed to make it difficult for suburbanites and exurbanites will backfire on you as well. What makes it difficult to get into the city will also make it difficult for you to leave the city when you want to.

As I mentioned previously, we need better urban design. Maybe more will want to live in an urban area as a result. However, don't hold your breath.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Dec 1, 2018 at 7:23 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation