Quote:
Originally Posted by russman
Are they really putting that 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 black siding on that building? In 2013? 
|
Don't act so surprised. Here in T-Bay, the owner of the former Colosimo's building on Algoma was going to clad the front of that building with steel siding. That plan didn't go through, at least as of yet. Cheaper steel sidings come in the $1.00-$2.00 a square foot range, much cheaper than stucco, brick and stone. And lots of building owners are cheap!
While on the topic, if anyone hasn't been inside The Foundry yet on Red River, I suggest you go. Unbelievable how the owner took the building right back in time with the finishes inside. One could be forgiven for thinking that building's interior dates from a by-gone era. I was impressed, and very happy to see someone bring a building back to life like that in T-Bay.
=======
I noticed that the Thunder Bay District Health Unit has put out a tender for architectural design services. I am not sure what exactly they are up to, but I would assume some sort of construction will be coming down the pipeline eventually (subject to the availability of dollars of course).
The people behind the proposed 'Dawson Heights' development want to expand their project. The new plan is for 15 single detached units, 20 townhouses and five six-plexes. City council will consider this at Monday's meeting, and administration is recommending it get the green light. No gov't agencies have any objections, but some neighbours are concerned about multi-unit residential development in the area. I don't think any multi-unit development doesn't earn this type of attention in a residential area in this city.
The new yet-to-be-opened Marriott Hotel may not be opening for some time. The city has ordered the developer to repair floors that are collapsing. The floor structure was not supposed to get wet, but was saturated during this spring's late snowfalls and thaws. Also, a rumour is out that the footings under one of the elevator shafts may have shifted already. No idea how this would be fixed if its true. If I was the engineer behind this building, I would be well on my way to Mexico by now. Light weight steel building obviously aren't worth the paper they are written on in this part of the country.