HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:49 AM
ConundrumNL ConundrumNL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I agree. I'm a big fan of zero or minimal traffic control signs in residential neighbourhoods.

I've read over the years about a few places who have tried this and it forces motorists to pay attention which basically eliminates accidents. Replace a stop sign with a yield sign, fewer accidents. Remove the signs all together, fewer still.

It sounds counter-intuitive but, when it's the norm, it works.

But watching how St. John's drivers navigate three-way stops, especially busy ones like those around the Avalon Mall... it's embarrassing. I thought Winnipeg drivers were idiots (and they are in some ways. You put on your blinker to merge and they will GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to speed up and ensure you CAN'T. It's truly unbelievable and it's not a sometimes thing... it is EVERY DAMN TIME. It's their driving culture) but the ones here can give them a run for their money. There's no legitimate reason why a three-way stop should back up so badly for ONLY one side.
I don't really know if 'naked' roads would work in St. John's, mainly because most side-streets are pretty bare as it is. A drive around St. John's shows roads with no pavement markings (expect at intersections), minimal signage, and what signage there is often poorly placed, or damaged and unreadable.

I'm all for replacing Stops with Yield's though, and the more All-Way Stops that can be replaced with Roundabouts or lights, the better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.