HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:42 AM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I decided to look into it... and I was partially right.

According to this old article no one put any bids in before the deadline (which is what I remember hearing about), but apparently got more later.

I'm guessing though, that part is that its not a huge draw (especially compared to the Grey Cup), and part that not many cities have very big stadia that would give a venue they'd generally be looking for from a host. Very few have stadiums of any decent size outside of the CFL cities, and a host wouldnt really be able to charge enough for the seats to recover the cost of renting some extra seating.

I think the CIS is hoping that by hitching the Vanier Cup to the Grey Cup wagon, it will give university football more exposure. There is some logic in this idea, and I can really only see this as being a good thing... making Grey Cup week/weekend into just a really big football weekend, drawing more than one level of football in Canada into the celebrations.

Plus, I think the CFL is finally realizing that they need a stronger University football program in order to support more expansion going into the future (whether it be Ottawa, a maritime team, and down the road maybe even Quebec City or something). If they want to maintain the ratio, which I think many do, they will need stronger programs across the country that can produce larger crops of talent from the university ranks.
Good point. Was it the CFL that spearheaded the grassroots football boom in Quebec or was it something that kind of just organically happened?

I agree fully if the CFL starts rolling in cash in the near future they should start to pump money into CIS ball.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.