HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2321  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:40 PM
Spongebob's Avatar
Spongebob Spongebob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 252
[QUOTE=osmo;5455448]I always thought the Husky was supposed to relocate? With the new highway #1 by-pass? [B]I always thought this was true until this past summer noticing that they were EXPANDING IT?[/B] Their has to be some long term plan for this, since who the hell wants to live by a truck stop?

I agree. Does anyone have any insight as to why the Husky House expanded in its current location? Given the amount of residential development in the area one would think they Husky House would relocate to the south west corner of the city by the GTH. This is especially problematic considering the eventual construction of a south east bypass which would route truck traffic around the east end to the south west anyways. Am I missing something here or did someone just drop the ball again in long term planning?
     
     
  #2322  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:44 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Why would Husky relocate, they were there first? People should know what they were buying.....
     
     
  #2323  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:05 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,043
[QUOTE=Spongebob;5456333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I always thought the Husky was supposed to relocate? With the new highway #1 by-pass? [B]I always thought this was true until this past summer noticing that they were EXPANDING IT?[/B] Their has to be some long term plan for this, since who the hell wants to live by a truck stop?

I agree. Does anyone have any insight as to why the Husky House expanded in its current location? Given the amount of residential development in the area one would think they Husky House would relocate to the south west corner of the city by the GTH. This is especially problematic considering the eventual construction of a south east bypass which would route truck traffic around the east end to the south west anyways. Am I missing something here or did someone just drop the ball again in long term planning?
...because it costs a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 fortune to move and rebuild. They are probably doing gangbusters at the east location and don't have a huge incentive to move. They do have competitors like Flying J and I would not be surpised to see one set up shop at the west bypass/Hwy #1 interchange or right adjacent to the GTH. Regina could easily support 2 truck stops with the GTH coming on. There is also a planned 'travel centre" on Pasqua North.

Husky has not been in that location all that long. About 15 years ago they were at the current Home Depot east site.
     
     
  #2324  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:08 PM
Spongebob's Avatar
Spongebob Spongebob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Why would Husky relocate, they were there first? People should know what they were buying.....
I was under the understanding that Husky liked to be on the outskirts of cities to avoid the kind of congestion with truck traffic we are seeing now in the east end. I know the last time Husky relocated was in the early or mid 1990's to their current location because it was out of the city at that time. It just seems illogical to expand where they did given the location of the GTH and future roadway development which will bypass traffic around the east end to the south west anyways. It's not so much about living by the Husky House, its about the traffic problems associated with the current location. I've seen trucks sitting for quite a long time trying to turn on to Prince of Wales Dr from the Husky House and eventually just cut traffic off and go to make a left hand turn. It's very dangerous for everyone. Truckers are also always parked illegally in the right turning lane on P of W Dr. infront of the Tim Horton's blocking the lane so they can get their coffee. It's a matter of time before someone gets hurt especially with the increase in residential development in the area.
     
     
  #2325  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:09 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
There is also a truck stop with a Tim Horton's at Emerald Park. Once that bypass is built, that truck stop will be the main one. Plus, there's a lot of room for expansion as well.
     
     
  #2326  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:37 PM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but does anyone else notice all the bad road lines they have been painting and repainting lately. What is with that.
I quite agree! Most noteable (for me) are lines that are painted wildly crooked for a short stretch along South Lewvan (northbound) at Gordon Rd, and some lanes that are too narrow along Dewdney Ave. (east- and westbound) at Albert St. The latter forces me to drive on the concrete curb (that's flush with the asphault road surface -- ie. I'm almost snugging up against the the curb riser! -- fortunately, I'm not uncomfortable to drive like that!) heading east, or, if I'm heading west, keeps me hoping that no one will sideswipe me from the right turning lane, when I'm stopped at a red light in the right driving lane! I've noticed several other instances throughout the city!

How do those road-line painting vehicles work? Is it up to the driver to guide the vehicle through a straight, smooth path, or is there some on-board mechanism to automatically/manually compensate (to within reason) for the driver's sometimes erratic, or inaccurate driving movements, when the line is actually being painted?
     
     
  #2327  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
How do those road-line painting vehicles work? Is it up to the driver to guide the vehicle through a straight, smooth path, or is there some on-board mechanism to automatically/manually compensate (to within reason) for the driver's sometimes erratic, or inaccurate driving movements, when the line is actually being painted?
I think the good ones have laser guidance.
     
     
  #2328  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
Rodo Regina Lover Rodo Regina Lover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
I had friends in from Vancouver a few years back and they stayed at the Holiday Inn on Prince of Whales, and complained about the noise from the truck stop. I also see people in that one condo complex also complaining of the noise from the truck stop. I realize that the truck stop was there first, but what is the planning dept. thinking of when they approve hotels and condos right next door to a busy busy truck stop??
     
     
  #2329  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:55 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover View Post
I had friends in from Vancouver a few years back and they stayed at the Holiday Inn on Prince of Whales, and complained about the noise from the truck stop. I also see people in that one condo complex also complaining of the noise from the truck stop. I realize that the truck stop was there first, but what is the planning dept. thinking of when they approve hotels and condos right next door to a busy busy truck stop??
You mean when City Council approves these developments. A number of them were discretionary use. I know of at least one project that was recommended to be denied by the Planning Dept. but was approved by Council.
     
     
  #2330  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 12:39 AM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
Anyone else watching the debate?

I'm interested in seeing if urban issues are brought up.
     
     
  #2331  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 12:45 AM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Why would Husky relocate, they were there first? People should know what they were buying.....
Yes, exactly. I couldn't believe that residents of the new condos across the street from Husky are complaining about the noise and the smell. Excuse me?! What the hell did you expect when you bought your condo across from a very busy truck stop? That they would move because someone decided to build a condo next door? Husky was there long before anything else. If you don't remember, they used to be on the south side of Vic on the land where the Home Depot is now located. If I was the owner of this truck stop I would be pissed. I feel for the poor truckers trying to cross PoW as it is increasingly busy. The response from Husky (as per the local CTV news a few months ago) was that they have no plans to relocate. As for the Husky expansion, they only replaced their fuel storage tanks and installed new islands and pumps. They did the gas pumps first and are replacing the diesel tanks & pumps in 2 phases so that truckers will still be able to fill up.
     
     
  #2332  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:15 AM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM.
     
     
  #2333  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:24 AM
Spongebob's Avatar
Spongebob Spongebob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, exactly. I couldn't believe that residents of the new condos across the street from Husky are complaining about the noise and the smell. Excuse me?! What the hell did you expect when you bought your condo across from a very busy truck stop? That they would move because someone decided to build a condo next door? Husky was there long before anything else. If you don't remember, they used to be on the south side of Vic on the land where the Home Depot is now located. If I was the owner of this truck stop I would be pissed. I feel for the poor truckers trying to cross PoW as it is increasingly busy. The response from Husky (as per the local CTV news a few months ago) was that they have no plans to relocate. As for the Husky expansion, they only replaced their fuel storage tanks and installed new islands and pumps. They did the gas pumps first and are replacing the diesel tanks & pumps in 2 phases so that truckers will still be able to fill up.

Why should the owner of the Husky House be pissed? The city is growing. The last time I talked with a city planner, most of the land north of the Husky House has been designated as residential. (That includes north of Dewdney Ave and east of Prince of Wales) If you feel sorry for the Truckers now, its going to get worse in the future. Maybe the owner should have taken future land designation into consideration and built the Husky House farther out of the city to allow for expansion. I just think that as the city grows, the current location of the Husky House will be problematic. Trucks will eventually be diverted around the city with the SE bypass leaving the Husky House as it is now in the middle of a residential/retail area with no easy access. Trucks will simply bypass it for something in the SW corner of the city by the GTH. I understand its costly to pull up stakes and move, but if one looks at the long term prospects for the current location, they are not good.
     
     
  #2334  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:31 AM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
I don't feel sorry for the people who bought in near Husky that's their foolishness. I just assumed with this land being checked of for mostly residential it would line up with Husky moving towards the by-pass or GTH. It all made sense until I seen that expansion and was like "Huh.. okay something is off then" The residents will scream for Husky to get out, maybe the City will offer them a cushy deal to move? Maybe prep the land for them or something who knows. 10 years down the road NIMBYs will be climbing up that flag pole. Lol.

What a mess though that area is. Hopefully the new CityPlan will create some new guidelines for that end to follow. It seems the whole SE end was set up as a fire sale pre-boom when Regina was on life support.
     
     
  #2335  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:09 AM
ROC ROC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a non construction question, Regina is hosting the 2013 Grey Cup, does that also mean we get the 2013 Vanier Cup? In recent years the two have been in the same city, not sure if that was just a fluke or by purpose. I didn't see anything about that in the Grep Cup announcement. ANyone know?
Nothing has been announced regarding the 2013 Vanier. It is possible that both games may be held at Mosaic Stadium but I would not be surprised to see the Vanier end up in Saskatoon.
     
     
  #2336  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:43 AM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Well I'm sure they will keep the cycle going and host it in Regina with the GC. If the Huskies make it in all the better. TSN pulls the strings here, they are not going to want to stretch out a production crew over Saskatoon and Regina. The current share cycle will continue into the foreseeable future it looks like.
     
     
  #2337  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:59 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Well I'm sure they will keep the cycle going and host it in Regina with the GC. If the Huskies make it in all the better. TSN pulls the strings here, they are not going to want to stretch out a production crew over Saskatoon and Regina. The current share cycle will continue into the foreseeable future it looks like.
If I remember correctly, they were having problems with cities not bidding to host it (I think they ended up giving it to Quebec City a couple years in a row), so throwing it in with the Grey Cup seems to be a good solution. And yes, if either the Rams or Huskies make it... there would probably be a very good crowd.
     
     
  #2338  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:36 AM
dsim249's Avatar
dsim249 dsim249 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
If I remember correctly, they were having problems with cities not bidding to host it (I think they ended up giving it to Quebec City a couple years in a row), so throwing it in with the Grey Cup seems to be a good solution. And yes, if either the Rams or Huskies make it... there would probably be a very good crowd.
That's odd, isn't it? Why wouldn't cities want to bid on it?
     
     
  #2339  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 7:50 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
That's odd, isn't it? Why wouldn't cities want to bid on it?
I decided to look into it... and I was partially right.

According to this old article no one put any bids in before the deadline (which is what I remember hearing about), but apparently got more later.

I'm guessing though, that part is that its not a huge draw (especially compared to the Grey Cup), and part that not many cities have very big stadia that would give a venue they'd generally be looking for from a host. Very few have stadiums of any decent size outside of the CFL cities, and a host wouldnt really be able to charge enough for the seats to recover the cost of renting some extra seating.

I think the CIS is hoping that by hitching the Vanier Cup to the Grey Cup wagon, it will give university football more exposure. There is some logic in this idea, and I can really only see this as being a good thing... making Grey Cup week/weekend into just a really big football weekend, drawing more than one level of football in Canada into the celebrations.

Plus, I think the CFL is finally realizing that they need a stronger University football program in order to support more expansion going into the future (whether it be Ottawa, a maritime team, and down the road maybe even Quebec City or something). If they want to maintain the ratio, which I think many do, they will need stronger programs across the country that can produce larger crops of talent from the university ranks.
     
     
  #2340  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:29 PM
UPP UPP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Nothing has been announced regarding the 2013 Vanier. It is possible that both games may be held at Mosaic Stadium but I would not be surprised to see the Vanier end up in Saskatoon.
Interesting idea. It would help alleviate the hotel shortage that would be in Regina. At the same time, a Vanier Cup in Saskatoon the same weekend would get lost in the GC hype in Regina. My guess is around 5,000 football fans from Saskatoon would be down in Regina for festivities, plus you wouldn't get very many Reginans or any other football fans outside Sktoon for the Vanier Cup if it was there.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.