HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2301  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Dont think iv seen anyone post this developement yet. New hotels are good to here

http://www.cjme.com/node/16858
I can't quite figure out where this is being built, isn't there a McDonalds and a Chilis restaurant on that corner?
     
     
  #2302  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
A typo maybe? The Lot infront of Superstore would make the most sense for such a large project. Its a quirky spot the SE is tilted, I never remember anybody referring to anything other than East or West. North and South do no exiguity in that end lol
     
     
  #2303  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
I can't quite figure out where this is being built, isn't there a McDonalds and a Chilis restaurant on that corner?
East of Chili's is the new FCC offices and to the east of that (and west of the Days Inn) is a piece of property that has a large 'SOLD' painted across the original for sale sign. I assume this is where the hotel will be built.
     
     
  #2304  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:18 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
East of Chili's is the new FCC offices and to the east of that (and west of the Days Inn) is a piece of property that has a large 'SOLD' painted across the original for sale sign. I assume this is where the hotel will be built.
There was a story at the end of July on this forum that the foundation was going in. There is a crapload of apartment complexes underway out there so it is hard to tell which one might be a hotel.
     
     
  #2305  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:26 PM
someguy someguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There was a story at the end of July on this forum that the foundation was going in. There is a crapload of apartment complexes underway out there so it is hard to tell which one might be a hotel.
My best guess is that it would be across the street from the Homesuites Hotel on Eastgate.
     
     
  #2306  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:34 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Both 11th and 12th downtown are closed to traffic today. Yikes!
     
     
  #2307  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:25 PM
boborider boborider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 196
Superstore land

A mention, in a recent post, of the vacant Superstore lot at the eastside store has me curious. Does anyone know why the Superstores very often sit on large tracts of land for what seems like an eternity with no obvious plan for its usage. This seems to be the case at both stores in Regina and when I lived in Prince George, BC they did the exact same thing? Just curious.
     
     
  #2308  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:44 PM
hoeding hoeding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
A mention, in a recent post, of the vacant Superstore lot at the eastside store has me curious. Does anyone know why the Superstores very often sit on large tracts of land for what seems like an eternity with no obvious plan for its usage. This seems to be the case at both stores in Regina and when I lived in Prince George, BC they did the exact same thing? Just curious.
I would imagine it's room for expansion, and even they might not know what they are putting there yet.
     
     
  #2309  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:51 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeding View Post
I would imagine it's room for expansion, and even they might not know what they are putting there yet.
That's probably the reason. Loblaw's tends to actually purchase the land for their buildings (thus taking future expansion into consideration), whereas other grocers tend to take longterm land-leases from developers (in that case, if they need to expand, they'll likely open up at a larger nearby lot, and abandon their old store)...
     
     
  #2310  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:51 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I always thought the same but perhaps they are keeping the land empty until demand and lease rates rise enough to maximize their return. You'd think now would be the time.

The land is actually for sale/lease and not expansion. The issue is mostly because Loblaw/Westfair imposes significant restrictive covenants on the land that severely limit its use by others. They prohibit everything from pharmacies, gas stations, banks, larger convenience stores, tall structures and many other uses. Therefore there are not many buyers.

On the other hand this strategy has worked well for them with rising property values, if they ever do find buyers - restaurants are the most likely.
     
     
  #2311  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:05 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM.
     
     
  #2312  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:11 PM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Thanks for the interesting facts on the Loblaws land schemes. Makes senses tho, I could imagine the land was dirt cheap when they first acquired it. Did their strict rules on land uses effect what was built on their old property off Albert? The Gas Bar was still kicking around (I don't remember if it is still open or not?) way after the store closed. Just curious to see if it lead to the underwhelming business park that was built there.

Its quite funny that Wal-mart does not follow this same model, they are looking to expand a lot of their stores and many are in tight footprints. This stuff is interesting though, I took a whole course on site geography selection and its funny how insane some stores/brands get when it come to site selection.

------
Related question though, how do you guys feel about all the random apartment blocks being built in the east end?

I'm all for more people living in the area but the developments seem really random and isolated. I can see it being a complete mess of cars in 10 years.
     
     
  #2313  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:18 PM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Thanks for the interesting facts on the Loblaws land schemes. Makes senses tho, I could imagine the land was dirt cheap when they first acquired it. Did their strict rules on land uses effect what was built on their old property off Albert? The Gas Bar was still kicking around (I don't remember if it is still open or not?) way after the store closed. Just curious to see if it lead to the underwhelming business park that was built there.

Its quite funny that Wal-mart does not follow this same model, they are looking to expand a lot of their stores and many are in tight footprints. This stuff is interesting though, I took a whole course on site geography selection and its funny how insane some stores/brands get when it come to site selection.

------
Related question though, how do you guys feel about all the random apartment blocks being built in the east end?

I'm all for more people living in the area but the developments seem really random and isolated. I can see it being a complete mess of cars in 10 years.
     
     
  #2314  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:51 PM
Le-TanK- Le-TanK- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 103
It was confirmed to start in November actually
     
     
  #2315  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:58 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Thanks for the interesting facts on the Loblaws land schemes. Makes senses tho, I could imagine the land was dirt cheap when they first acquired it. Did their strict rules on land uses effect what was built on their old property off Albert? The Gas Bar was still kicking around (I don't remember if it is still open or not?) way after the store closed. Just curious to see if it lead to the underwhelming business park that was built there.

Its quite funny that Wal-mart does not follow this same model, they are looking to expand a lot of their stores and many are in tight footprints. This stuff is interesting though, I took a whole course on site geography selection and its funny how insane some stores/brands get when it come to site selection.

------
Related question though, how do you guys feel about all the random apartment blocks being built in the east end?

I'm all for more people living in the area but the developments seem really random and isolated. I can see it being a complete mess of cars in 10 years.
Yes there were restrictions on the old Albert Street Superstore site as well. That is part of the reason there is very little (by little I mean zero) retail there. The gas bar was taken out within the last year.

Regarding all of the apartment buildings going up in the east - and there must be more than a dozen large one - I guess people have to live somewhere. We are getting close to 5000 new people a year in Regina, plus thousands of temporary workers. That is going to put pressure on infastructure all over the City.
     
     
  #2316  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 7:56 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Thanks for the interesting facts on the Loblaws land schemes. Makes senses tho, I could imagine the land was dirt cheap when they first acquired it. Did their strict rules on land uses effect what was built on their old property off Albert? The Gas Bar was still kicking around (I don't remember if it is still open or not?) way after the store closed. Just curious to see if it lead to the underwhelming business park that was built there.

Its quite funny that Wal-mart does not follow this same model, they are looking to expand a lot of their stores and many are in tight footprints. This stuff is interesting though, I took a whole course on site geography selection and its funny how insane some stores/brands get when it come to site selection.

------
Related question though, how do you guys feel about all the random apartment blocks being built in the east end?

I'm all for more people living in the area but the developments seem really random and isolated. I can see it being a complete mess of cars in 10 years.
It's very ad hoc which is unfortunate. That the sort of thing that sadly happens in periods of high growth - look at Calgary.

It's going to be a real problem in future years. I can see some of the residents having real issue with some of the more industrial type ueses - like the Husky truck stop.
     
     
  #2317  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 12:58 AM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
I always thought the Husky was supposed to relocate? With the new highway #1 by-pass? I always thought this was true until this past summer noticing that they were EXPANDING IT? Their has to be some long term plan for this, since who the hell wants to live by a truck stop?

Also when does the City plan to hold off expanding that other stretch of Prince of Wales, I'm sure all of these are on the drawing boards its just insane to let them go to town chewing up that area with no cohesiveness.

A friend of mine is moving into one of those new buildings, it has walk up stairs to the top units - I started laughing and told him walking up in winter when that wind blowing up your rear will be hell. He chuckled too but I think he had a "oh sh*t, what have I done" moment also. lol

That part of the east end is the wild west to me, developers are running wild to build 🞵🞵🞵🞵 all around. At least Harbor Landing even if i'm not the biggest fan of it I respect they made a cohesive plan for the areas housing and retail. The east stretch on the other side of Vic is a free for all.

lets hope we don't mimic Calgary, aside from their dense core and rapid transit the City is a soulless dump in its newer built ends. We deserve better.
     
     
  #2318  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:06 PM
jw6969 jw6969 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 241
I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but does anyone else notice all the bad road lines they have been painting and repainting lately. What is with that.
     
     
  #2319  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:58 PM
Udon'tknow's Avatar
Udon'tknow Udon'tknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 360
Grey Cup

Hey everyone,

I have a non construction question, Regina is hosting the 2013 Grey Cup, does that also mean we get the 2013 Vanier Cup? In recent years the two have been in the same city, not sure if that was just a fluke or by purpose. I didn't see anything about that in the Grep Cup announcement. ANyone know?
     
     
  #2320  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:04 PM
babo's Avatar
babo babo is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I don't like elevators.
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but does anyone else notice all the bad road lines they have been painting and repainting lately. What is with that.
At one time, lane lines used to be surveyed in, or at least measured in. It appears that "eying it in" is good enough now. The lane lines "north bound" on Edinburgh at the intersection of Edinburgh and Arcola are entertaining.

I don't know who's responsible for the pedestrian crosswalk to nowhere at the intersection of University Drive North and University Drive West at the University (duh), but it irritates me every time see it.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.