Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness
I caught a lot of it. It was split 50/50 as far as the public goes. That means almost 200 000 people would support it. More than enough fans to fill seats. It was decided that calling it a Football Stadium is what's hurting it. Football alone cannot support a stadium in Halifax. It has to be marketed as a Multi-Purpose Stadium. Friends of the common and other groups should be pro this stadium as it would get concerts off the Common.
Someone again mentioned Burnside as a place for the stadium. I disagree fully on that as its about the furthest from any CORE population you can get and no real public transit to get people to and from. I like the West End Mall proposal because of location and access to transit.
|
Careful on that assumption - because if I was asked, I would support a stadium but I may not necessairily buy tickets to a CFL game (mainly because I just never was a sports fan). But i'm a reasonable minded person to say that I might go if I had friends who went with me. Just nit picking though.
You are probably right about the commons folk though - I'd be interested to gage the reaction of Peggy Cameron and Bev Miller; see their thoughts? My fear is that with all the reaction happening so fast, this would end up in Burnside or Bayer's Lake. But, like Fenwick has pointed out - even if you put it at Shannon, you'd still have to build the transportation system to get people there since the site isn't well serviced. West End Mall and the Willow/Windsor Park sites have the benefit of existing transit now, which could be expanded.
Have we thought about any sites in Bedford? What about near Rim or am I drifting back into the greenfield issue again?