HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 1:50 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Hi Tony, welcome to the Atlanta forum. This is the "Atlanta project thread," for posting about proposed and under construction projects. For off-topic discussions about how you'd like to add more parking to the city, please consider posting in the "ATLANTA Infrastucture (Roads, Complete streets, Bike Lanes, Paths)" thread. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
One thing ive noticed out here is the lack of street parking on many corridors, however I also notice that the streets are not busy enough in many places for 4 lanes.

Has there been a push to allow street parking in more areas across the city? I notice huge deadlines in areas that do not have street parking compared to areas that do.

Has this been talked about?
I get what you are saying. I remember when Marietta Street/Howell Mill Road area had no street parking and with the street parking, the human scale is so much better. Even Juniper St with its enhanced street parking is better than years past. And street parking could be extended to Courtland St.
Ponce also could use more street parking. Advantage of street parking in these areas may mitigate the use of parking lots opening up to street and influence development.

Some people are arguing something that you didn't suggest - more parking instead of more street parking.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 12:49 PM

355 Centennial Olympic Drive site and permitted hotel plans for sale

This is a bit of an odd one. The permitted 14-story Residence Inn By Marriott just northeast of the Center for Civil and Human Rights (and just south of "Generation" student housing) is for sale if a developer wants to build it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I walked Peachtree & Spring St, nothing about it feels unsafe to me, maybe if they added some on street parking people would feel safer

But im not gonna keep lamenting on the topic. Im just giving a different perspective, if any of you have lived up north before you would understand what im saying. Point blank
What part of Philly did you live in? A lot of us are from up north. I moved down here 10 years ago from Jersey. You'll find the majority of Atlantans are from elsewhere originally.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
I walked Peachtree & Spring St, nothing about it feels unsafe to me, maybe if they added some on street parking people would feel safer

But im not gonna keep lamenting on the topic. Im just giving a different perspective, if any of you have lived up north before you would understand what im saying. Point blank
You'll find urban advocates in Atlanta are touchy about things like parking. It comes with the territory of being under the thumb of an anti-urban state always cutting transit and doing stuff to expressly benefit the suburbs and rural communities, at the city's expense, even though Atlanta and especially the city proper is by far the economic engine of the whole state.

In this case, I don't think more street parking in Midtown would help. DC/Philly have a huge amount of sidewalk parking but few parking decks. So to get where you want to go, you have to drive around looking for parking, and once you find it, you're very hesitant to move. So you spend a lot of time in the neighborhood and walk to multiple different businesses.

In Midtown Atlanta, you've got garages everywhere. You must park in the exact garage for the business you're going to, and you'll probably get 2 hours of parking with purchase from the businesses. So, people don't hang out and walk around the area anywhere near as much. It's quite expensive to use one of the garages to just park for the afternoon.

I encourage you to check out the eastside beltline/O4W, Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Little 5, Decatur, etc. These neighborhoods are a lot more like what you're describing, have more street parking/foot traffic than Midtown, and are imo the spiritual heart of Atlanta, moreso than Midtown/Downtown/Buckhead.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 5:26 PM

Rezoning filed for 490 Fairburn, for a 200 unit multifamily development.

Planning permit filed for apartment building at 421 Connell.

Planning permit filed at 145 James P Brawley to covert a single family home into 15 studio apartments for students.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Murphy Crossing update on the Southwest Beltline

According to a presentation timeline, zoning reviews and community design meetings are scheduled to continue through October. The development team expects to work with engineers to submit the project to the State of Georgia as a Development of Regional Impact in December, given its large scale.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:04 PM

Early ideas from the city for the Atlanta Medical Center site:

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:07 PM
Ahhh... Kelly Clarkson!

This would be amazing! That area needs help!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Early ideas from the city for the Atlanta Medical Center site:

There's a pretty cool historic-looking 5-story building in the center of this that they should consider saving. It's almost impossible to see it from any public right-of-way right now. You can only see if from oblique aerials. It vaguely resembles the Southern Railroad building in south downtown, but smaller and a little more ornate.

I actually like the building at the corner of Boulevard and Ralph McGill too.

Instead, it looks like the main 11-story hospital building is the only thing being saved.

Old Posted Today, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
There's a pretty cool historic-looking 5-story building in the center of this that they should consider saving. It's almost impossible to see it from any public right-of-way right now. You can only see if from oblique aerials. It vaguely resembles the Southern Railroad building in south downtown, but smaller and a little more ornate.

I actually like the building at the corner of Boulevard and Ralph McGill too.

Instead, it looks like the main 11-story hospital building is the only thing being saved.
This news video has a graphic that says "Preserved 1920s hospital facade". I wonder if that's the building you're referring to?

https://www.11alive.com/video/news/l...c-0e55802bb3a4

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta