PDA

View Full Version : MILWAUKEE | Development News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

bucksfan15
May 19, 2017, 2:15 PM
https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/24-stories-park-east.jpg-650x402.jpg

Height variance approved for 24-story tower along Milwaukee River (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/real-estate/height-variance-approved-for-24-story-tower-along-milwaukee-river/)

A city panel on Thursday approved a request by HKS Holdings to build a 24-story tower along the Milwaukee River just north of downtown, but the developer isn’t saying what the development will include.

The Redevelopment Authority voted unanimously to approve a waiver to the maximum 12-story height established in the Park East Redevelopment Plan to permit the 24 story tower, which would be located north of the office building occupied by Bader Rutter on the former Laacke & Joys site at 1433 N. Water St.

Steely Dan
May 19, 2017, 2:28 PM
^wow, that would be a really tall building for that part of the river, i hope it moves forward.

bucksfan15
May 19, 2017, 3:55 PM
^wow, that would be a really tall building for that part of the river, i hope it moves forward.

If Marcus gets Edison Place going also that would be a drastic change for the northern edge of downtown.

Booch
May 23, 2017, 3:09 PM
If Marcus gets Edison Place going, the devil is going to need a parka.

bucksfan15
May 24, 2017, 5:07 PM
https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/160627-Block-4-Corner-e1467046972162-768x558.jpg

Apartment project at The Brewery moving forward (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/real-estate/apartment-project-at-the-brewery-moving-forward/)

The Indianapolis-based development firm planning two apartment buildings at the former Pabst Brewery complex near downtown Milwaukee has purchased the property for $3 million and is planning to begin construction this fall.

bucksfan15
May 30, 2017, 3:58 AM
Also, a little birdie (fairly high up little birdie) told me they are in the process of luring a company that would bring a HQ with 900-1000 jobs to the arena district. Take that for what it's worth but thought I would share.

Randomly thinking about how I was told that the Bucks were in the process of luring a HQ with 900 people to the arena district. Coincidence that Fiserv is said to employ about 900 in Brookfield and looking to potentially relocate it's HQ to the city?

bucksfan15
May 30, 2017, 4:50 AM
State Street Station adds to Tosa’s apartment boom (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/magazines/biztimes-milwaukee/current-issue/state-street-station-adds-to-tosas-apartment-boom/)

Other apartment developers also have realized the potential Wauwatosa brings, with its proximity to downtown Milwaukee and its central location that is accessible to many of Milwaukee’s largest employers, including Kohl’s Corp., MillerCoors LLC and Harley-Davidson Inc.–not to mention the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, which employs 15,000 people, according to VISIT Wauwatosa.

Since the recession ended, the city has made a concerted effort to attract more multi-family developments, like State Street Station, to Wauwatosa. In the past eight years, more than 1,500 new apartment units either have opened or been approved, and city officials would like to see more.

Wauwatosa's boom seems poised to be long lasting. 1,000 apartments are planned at The District alone (the first 250 of which have started). Tosa has a lot going for it from being the geographic center of the metro area to being the 2nd largest (and quickly growing) population center outside of downtown Milwaukee. Restaurants that rival downtown Milwaukee, nightlife, shopping, great schools, and hell, Miller Park is just outside of the Wauwatosa city limits. It's too bad Tosa is pushing back at that planned 21-story tower. I'd love to see Tosa's mini skyline continue to grow over by the Research Park/Innovation Park/Medical Complex area.

bucksfan15
May 30, 2017, 2:51 PM
More apartments to break ground soon north of Brady Street in Milwaukee (http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/05/28/more-apartments-to-break-ground-soon-north-of.html)

​Construction will soon start on a 30-unit apartment building near East Brady Street in Milwaukee after Ogden Multifamily Partners LLC closed on the project financing last week.

Not quite sure what apartment this, I don't remember hearing about it, but looks like another small, infill project should be starting.

mbradleyc
Jun 1, 2017, 3:41 AM
Randomly thinking about how I was told that the Bucks were in the process of luring a HQ with 900 people to the arena district. Coincidence that Fiserv is said to employ about 900 in Brookfield and looking to potentially relocate it's HQ to the city?

That would be great, but I read a quote from Feigin, I think sometime over the last year or so that they want to bring in someone from outside the region.

I was thinking there must be some company in NYC that wouldn't mind a less stressful existence.

Both would be better!

bucksfan15
Jun 1, 2017, 3:55 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/34984256726_97fddb0518_h.jpg

Wauwatosa's boom seems poised to be long lasting. 1,000 apartments are planned at The District alone (the first 250 of which have started). Tosa has a lot going for it from being the geographic center of the metro area to being the 2nd largest (and quickly growing) population center outside of downtown Milwaukee. Restaurants that rival downtown Milwaukee, nightlife, shopping, great schools, and hell, Miller Park is just outside of the Wauwatosa city limits. It's too bad Tosa is pushing back at that planned 21-story tower. I'd love to see Tosa's mini skyline continue to grow over by the Research Park/Innovation Park/Medical Complex area.

I find it odd that I posted this a few days ago. I received this in the mail today regarding expansion plans. This tower, which was initially rejected by the city due to NIMBYs, was first introduced at 21 stories. I now count 17 floors on this new rendering. Maybe they found a height compromise but this certainly seems like they are ready to move forward with what would be the tallest building in Wauwatosa. This could be exciting. Right across the freeway will be another vertical expansion of an already (newly constructed) existing building. Tosa is starting to get some height.

the urban politician
Jun 1, 2017, 1:43 PM
Damn, Milwaukee! Keep rolling on

bucksfan15
Jun 7, 2017, 3:09 AM
Milhaus breaks ground on 274-unit Vim and Vigor apartment community in downtown Milwaukee (http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelease/milhaus-breaks-ground-on-274-unit-vim-and-vigor-apartment-community-in-downtown-milwaukee/)

Working in conjunction with local Milwaukee-based real estate developer WiRED Properties, the Vim and Vigor community is being developed on two separate lots, about a block apart from one another at The Brewery, the mixed-use development that revitalized the former Pabst complex.

Picture included in the article. I believe this, in addition to the U/C Hyatt Place, just about completes "The Brewery" redevelopment. Now let's just get that streetcar extension to The Brewery/Arena District!!

bucksfan15
Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 PM
Add Jackson to the list of streets (Broadway and St. Paul) being dug up for the streetcar. Started digging a trench today.

bucksfan15
Jun 19, 2017, 7:20 PM
Additionally, fencing is now up around both Milhaus apartment sites at The Brewery.

bucksfan15
Jun 20, 2017, 6:59 PM
Site in Caledonia pitched to large industrial tenant (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/government-politics/site-in-caledonia-pitched-to-large-industrial-tenant/)

As Caledonia vies for this mystery tenant, the village and other municipalities are also waiting to see if any will be in the running for Foxconn Technology Group, the Taiwanese company that is considering Wisconsin along with other Midwestern states.

Benkowski said Caledonia has the land along I-94 for Foxconn, but Mount Pleasant might be better suited because Highway 20 is more developed.

“Kenosha does not have the land, but Mount Pleasant does and Caledonia does, so maybe we could put something together where Foxconn is located in both municipalities,” he said. “If Foxconn occurs, the additional support services that come with it would be a benefit for all of the surround municipalities.”

Could Foxconn come to Racine County? (http://journaltimes.com/business/local/could-foxconn-come-to-racine-county/article_3137013c-2383-5dcd-a8f3-83c4c1c3ea74.html)

Just some interesting articles about the continued rush of industrial development happening in suburban Racine/Kenosha counties.

Foxconn would be a HUGE get for SE Wisconsin. I've heard anywhere between 5,000 and 50,000 jobs which would change the game for Racine/Kenosha. I've read about whole cities popping up around Foxconn factories. If this happens, I think it would change the face of the Milwaukee Metro area. Perfectly situated between Milwaukee and Chicago yet solidly more in Milwaukee's sphere of influence than Chicago's. I really hope this happens.

bucksfan15
Jun 21, 2017, 2:34 PM
The District at the Mayfair Collection is going to be HUGE. The foundation for one of the buildings is already poured and, judging by that, it is going to be pretty massive. There are also numerous elevator shafts popping out of the ground on the easternmost building. It may only be 6 stories, but it's going to be interesting to watch this one rise.

For those not familiar with the project, it's the first 2 buildings of a multi-phase, 1000+ unit development that is part of a larger "Town-Square" style redevelopment. Based off what I saw there last time, when all phases are complete, this may be one of the largest suburban projects happening in the Milwaukee Metro area.

bucksfan15
Jun 24, 2017, 5:49 PM
Marcus & Millichap: Apartment construction booming in Milwaukee (http://www.rejournals.com/2017/06/23/marcus-millichap-apartment-construction-booming-in-milwaukee/)

Apartment construction is surging across the Milwaukee market, according to the latest research from Marcus & Millichap. According to the company’s second quarter multifamily research, developers are expected to add 3,633 apartment units to the Milwaukee market during 2017. That is a significant increase from 2016, when 1,924 new apartment rentals came online.

What is fueling this construction boom? Increasing demand for urban living is helping. At the same time, the population in the Milwaukee area is expected to grow. Marcus & Millichap reported that Milwaukee’s population is expected to grow by 14,600 in the next five years. The market is also expected to see 21,000 new households during the next five years.

I highlighted what I thought was important from the article. This certainly seems to contradict other news outlets that cite Milwaukee's "population decline" and definitely seems to fall more in line with the construction boom happening across the city AND suburbs.

bucksfan15
Jun 29, 2017, 4:25 PM
Wisconsin a frontrunner for Foxconn plant; incentive package expected (http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/06/29/wisconsin-a-frontrunner-for-foxconn-plant-incen.html)

Wisconsin is one of two states now considered frontrunners to land new manufacturing facilities for Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn.

deja vu
Jun 29, 2017, 11:28 PM
Go Michigan! (Just kidding - it will be neat to see either of these Midwest states land this).

bucksfan15
Jul 4, 2017, 4:10 PM
It's wait and see time now but all signs are starting to point toward Wisco...

Group pursuing large Foxconn factory wants to tap City of Racine for water, sewer (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/06/30/group-pursuing-large-foxconn-factory-wants-tap-city-racine-water-sewer/444698001/)

Representatives of a closely guarded effort to land a much-sought-after Foxconn Technology Group factory have approached the City of Racine about providing water and sewer service to a potential large plant outside the city limits, Mayor John Dickert said Friday.

“I was informed in a general conversation from somebody who I will not name who just simply said, ‘There’s a big development out west that we’re working on,’” he said.

Wisconsin a frontrunner for Foxconn plant; incentive package expected (http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/wisconsin-a-frontrunner-for-foxconn-plant-incentive-package-expected)

In Wisconsin, “megasites” in Racine and Kenosha counties are being considered by Foxconn, said Boyd.

The Racine County Board this week passed, in closed session, a transfer of $500,000 from the general fund to go toward “economic support,” although it remained unclear whether the transfer is related to the Foxconn project. A Racine County official did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Looks like it's down to Wisconsin and Michigan. I see Wisconsin coming out on top for 2 reasons; this is in Paul Ryan's district and Trump already hinted that Wisconsin would be getting a huge surprise soon from an electronics manufacturer. I see politics playing out with this one and hey, I'll take it if it means the Milwaukee metro area benefits. This would be an absolute game changer for SE Wisconsin, more specifically Milwaukee, if they do indeed choose Racine County over Kenosha County.

bucksfan15
Jul 4, 2017, 4:15 PM
St. Camillus Health System revives disputed Wauwatosa apartment tower proposal (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/07/03/st-camillus-reviving-disputed-wauwatosa-apartment-tower-proposal/447993001/)

A Wauwatosa senior housing community is reviving plans for an apartment tower two years after dropping the proposal because of opposition from nearby residents.

St. Camillus Health System Inc., 10100 W. Blue Mound Road, has started marketing its proposed 17-story East Tower with a new website and advertisements in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The tower would have 169 luxury apartments for seniors who can live independently. St. Camillus hopes to open the building in spring 2020 if it receives Common Council approval.

bucksfan15
Jul 4, 2017, 4:16 PM
^^^^^^

Picture on the previous page.

bucksfan15
Jul 6, 2017, 3:07 AM
Foxconn considering bringing 10,000 jobs to southeastern Wisconsin, Assembly speaker says (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/05/foxconn-considering-bringing-10-000-jobs-southeastern-wisconsin-assembly-speaker-says/453704001/)

"Recently, technology company, Foxconn, has indicated its desire to locate in southeastern Wisconsin with up to 10,000 jobs, and yet the (funding) of I-94 North-South through Racine and Kenosha counties continues to be delayed," wrote Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester), Assembly Majority Leader Jim Steineke (R-Kaukauna) and Rep. John Nygren (R-Marinette), the co-chairman of the Legislature's budget committee.

All signs are starting to point to Racine.

sentinel
Jul 6, 2017, 2:10 PM
I live in Chicago, but would be thrilled if this was built in Racine. Any type of high-tech jobs like this in the Midwest are always welcome by me, even if not in Illinois. Please let it happen, Foxconn!!!

bucksfan15
Jul 7, 2017, 4:55 AM
I live in Chicago, but would be thrilled if this was built in Racine. Any type of high-tech jobs like this in the Midwest are always welcome by me, even if not in Illinois. Please let it happen, Foxconn!!!

It would be great for both metro areas. Racine would obviously be much closer to Milwaukee but still not far from the Chicago area. If it happens in Kenosha though it would be much closer to the middle of the 2 metros.

bucksfan15
Jul 10, 2017, 4:24 PM
Sorry to keep forcing the issue with Foxconn, I know this is a skyscraper website, but if Foxconn indeed locates in Racine County (just outside Milwaukee), it could change the game for Milwaukee and development in and around the city. All signs are starting to point to Racine, specifically the suburbs or Mt. Pleasant and Sturtevant.

Mount Pleasant, Sturtevant to meet Monday amid growing development buzz (http://journaltimes.com/news/local/mount-pleasant-sturtevant-to-meet-monday-amid-growing-development-buzz/article_31e82fb1-62db-5c5d-9285-96da47f6aec7.html)

Local officials plan to again discuss unspecified economic development in closed session Monday as buzz about a major project gets louder.

The Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant village boards are scheduled to meet “for the purpose of discussing a potential future development project in Racine County,” according to a meeting agenda.

If the Milwaukee metro area lands this, oh boy, it could be fun.

LouisVanDerWright
Jul 10, 2017, 5:21 PM
Most interestingly to me is what it means for the Chicago-Milwaukee connection. There has been a relentless push of development along the I-94 corridor for a decade or more now. I remember when I first started living in Chicago I-94 was a ramshackle 6 lane highway through farmfields 75% of the way. Now it resembles or even dwarves the huge suburban industrial corridors in the Chicago suburbs like 290 or 294.

When you have huge investments by Amazon or Uline that's one stage of growth, but a Foxconn plant employing on the scale of five figures, not a measly few thousand (lol) like Amazon... Well that's a whole different scale of development. If you have seen the virtual village being built around Epic, that's the kind of growth we could expect around a Foxconn plant. And that's the the actual plant, we can expect all sorts of vendors to Foxconn to need to locate nearby not to mention the accompanying residential and retail growth that must occur.

Which brings me back to my main point, city needs like myself have long fantasized about a hypothetical merger of the Milwaukee metro and Chicago metro, but with this kind of growth in Amazon, Uline, and now Foxconn, it doesn't seem like such a fantasy anymore. A location in Racine will also be highly accessible to the Northern reaches of Chicago metro and it's likely there will be much commuting in both directions as a result.

Time to build that high speed rail line and also extend Metra to Milwaukee! HSR with stops at Milwaukee, Mitchell, Kenosha/Mt pleasant, Chicago northern burbs, O'Hare, the downtown Chicago. That would be the most useful rail route in the country with these industrial behomoths now located in between.

bucksfan15
Jul 10, 2017, 7:59 PM
Most interestingly to me is what it means for the Chicago-Milwaukee connection. There has been a relentless push of development along the I-94 corridor for a decade or more now. I remember when I first started living in Chicago I-94 was a ramshackle 6 lane highway through farmfields 75% of the way. Now it resembles or even dwarves the huge suburban industrial corridors in the Chicago suburbs like 290 or 294.

When you have huge investments by Amazon or Uline that's one stage of growth, but a Foxconn plant employing on the scale of five figures, not a measly few thousand (lol) like Amazon... Well that's a whole different scale of development. If you have seen the virtual village being built around Epic, that's the kind of growth we could expect around a Foxconn plant. And that's the the actual plant, we can expect all sorts of vendors to Foxconn to need to locate nearby not to mention the accompanying residential and retail growth that must occur.

Which brings me back to my main point, city needs like myself have long fantasized about a hypothetical merger of the Milwaukee metro and Chicago metro, but with this kind of growth in Amazon, Uline, and now Foxconn, it doesn't seem like such a fantasy anymore. A location in Racine will also be highly accessible to the Northern reaches of Chicago metro and it's likely there will be much commuting in both directions as a result.

Time to build that high speed rail line and also extend Metra to Milwaukee! HSR with stops at Milwaukee, Mitchell, Kenosha/Mt pleasant, Chicago northern burbs, O'Hare, the downtown Chicago. That would be the most useful rail route in the country with these industrial behomoths now located in between.

I couldn't have put it better myself. On that note, apparently Foxconn's chairman just landed in Milwaukee....

Foxconn Lands in Milwaukee (http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/07/10/eyes-on-milwaukee-foxconn-lands-in-milwaukee/)

Foxconn has come to Wisconsin, literally.

While the company and state are still rumored to be negotiating over an electronics factory that could employ 10,000 people, a private jet affiliated with the company has landed at General Mitchell International Airport. It’s parked just outside of the observation area along E. Layton Ave.

The airplane arrived in Milwaukee at 3:06 p.m. Sunday, having departed Long Beach Airport near Los Angeles, CA at 7:41 a.m. What Foxconn executives, perhaps including founder and chairman Terry Gou, have been up to in Wisconsin since then is unclear. But the village boards of Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant are scheduled to meet in closed session this afternoon to discuss “a potential future development project in Racine County.” It’s hard to imagine that’s about anything other than Foxconn.

Unusual meeting in Racine County adds to Foxconn speculation
(http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/10/unusual-meeting-racine-county-adds-foxconn-speculation/464602001/)

Yet another hint emerged Monday that Racine County is Wisconsin’s leading candidate site for a huge new Foxconn Technology Group electronics factory.

The village boards of two county communities, Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant, will meet behind closed doors late Monday afternoon to discuss “a potential future development project in Racine County.”

embora
Jul 11, 2017, 1:22 AM
Sorry to keep forcing the issue with Foxconn, I know this is a skyscraper website, but if Foxconn indeed locates in Racine County (just outside Milwaukee), it could change the game for Milwaukee and development in and around the city. All signs are starting to point to Racine, specifically the suburbs or Mt. Pleasant and Sturtevant.

No apologies please. Please keep it coming as much as you wish to share.

sentinel
Jul 11, 2017, 2:03 PM
Agreed, keep it coming!

I want WI to get this Foxconn plant, because it shows that this entire region is capable of supporting high-tech manufacturing jobs, and to also help wash away the 'rust-belt' image that the media focuses on ad-nauseam about the Great Lakes region.

But I also wouldn't be averse to any new high-rise developments in Milwaukee that you may uncover :D

LouisVanDerWright
Jul 11, 2017, 2:53 PM
^^^ Maybe Racine can land another corporate office tower by a starchitect (the first being FLW's SC Johnson) to house a new block of Foxconn offices?

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 3:33 PM
^^^ Maybe Racine can land another corporate office tower by a starchitect (the first being FLW's SC Johnson) to house a new block of Foxconn offices?

That would be awesome but I have a feeling if any office component is involved, it would be in Milwaukee. Pure speculation though. What I could see happening in downtown Racine is a sizable residential boom which would be great for that city. Something on the scale of what is happening in Madison. Then again, that could happen out closer to the I where Foxconn wants to locate. I guess we will see. Either way, this is a super exciting development for the Milwaukee/Chicago region. As you stated before, this is a big enough deal that this may be what finally joins the 2 metro areas as one.

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 3:38 PM
Agreed, keep it coming!

I want WI to get this Foxconn plant, because it shows that this entire region is capable of supporting high-tech manufacturing jobs, and to also help wash away the 'rust-belt' image that the media focuses on ad-nauseam about the Great Lakes region.

But I also wouldn't be averse to any new high-rise developments in Milwaukee that you may uncover :D

My hope is that this project is big enough that it leads to the creation of a residential high-rise or 2 in the city. I mean, if we land Foxconn, not all of their employees will want to live out in the burbs. You would think out of 10,000 employees, at least a handful will prefer city living, enough to build a couple sexy new residential towers.

Now if we happen to land Foxconn AND JCI builds a new tallest in Milwaukee, watch out, the Milwaukee area could be poised for an epic boom. Fingers crossed....

I will try and go for a bike ride soon and get a picture rundown of everything happening around downtown to distract from Foxconn and get back to development but the Couture and BMO towers should be starting in the coming months, 777 is at about 20 floors, the streetcar is flying as is the arena, and their are smaller infill projects like Hyatt and Hammes flying up all over town. :cheers:

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 7:44 PM
Streetcar - Ogden Ave

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4215/35023414824_86239dbfa3_h.jpg

Streetcar - Jackson St

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4236/35475432350_3e933056b8_h.jpg

Streetcar - Broadway

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4242/35731462641_7f733d056c_h.jpg

777 VanBuren

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4217/35023414054_3aa4416113_h.jpg

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 7:47 PM
Bucks Training/Sports & Medicine Center

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4283/35822589656_8798e86f44_h.jpg

Arena

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4213/35475462550_9addfaf264_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4262/35023395494_621c5d6bb1_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4283/35822567096_def0b91535_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4236/35475423620_f0799b2bf6_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4284/35694008852_7646eb7b83_h.jpg

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 7:52 PM
Brewery Apartments 1

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4290/35822570636_30c0314947_h.jpg

Brewery Apartments 2

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4205/35475424900_d9ab0fa6a4_h.jpg

Jackson St Apartments

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4206/35475429950_a97d157c97_h.jpg

Hammes HQ

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4284/35822558406_dad0b5fb46_h.jpg

Hyatt

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4277/35822557716_f89054a454_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4289/35731457741_581badc21b_h.jpg

North End

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4279/35694015722_22b9daef2f_h.jpg

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 7:54 PM
^^^^^^

Small sample of pics mainly from the NW side of Downtown Milwaukee. I only got ground-up construction projects, not historic redevelopments like the ones going on at The Brewery. There's a lot more where this came from in places like the Third Ward, Lower East Side, Bay View, West Side, and Tosa. I'll try and hit more places in the coming weeks. :cheers:

bucksfan15
Jul 11, 2017, 9:10 PM
https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/324-S.-2nd-St.-350x255.jpg

Walker’s Point apartment development slated to start next month (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/real-estate/walkers-point-apartment-development-slated-to-start-next-month/)
Linden Street Partners also considering site for a second project in neighborhood

Linden Street Partners, which has offices in Pittsburgh and Santa Ana, California, will break ground on a 70-unit apartment development in August on a vacant lot in Milwaukee’s Walker’s Point neighborhood.

This is Linden Street Partners first project in the Milwaukee area, but Richardson said his firm is already looking at another site in Walker’s Point for another apartment development.

“We hope that this is the first of a few projects for us in Milwaukee,” he said. “We like the area and we like the city of Milwaukee. If things go smoothly, we’ll be doing another project in Walker’s Point.”

bucksfan15
Jul 12, 2017, 7:59 PM
Jet linked to Foxconn Technology Group lands in Madison (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/12/jet-linked-foxconn-technology-group-lands-madison/472566001/)

The jet remained at Mitchell International Airport for three days – a span that included an unusual joint meeting Monday of the Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant village boards in Racine County. The closed session was called to discuss “a potential future development project.”

I wish they would just announce this already.

F1 Tommy
Jul 12, 2017, 8:59 PM
Nice update. I love Milwaukee in the summer.

bucksfan15
Jul 13, 2017, 7:29 PM
Fiserv considering four area sites for its corporate HQ (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/banking-finance/fiserv-considering-four-area-sites-for-its-corporate-hq/)

Brookfield-based Fiserv Inc. has narrowed its search for a new corporate headquarters to four locations and will likely make a decision on its new location by the end of the month, according to numerous commercial real estate sources.

The Fortune 500 financial services technology developer has been considering proposals from several real estate developers since April to develop a 120,000 to 150,000-square-foot Class A office building.

Wisconsin wines and dines Foxconn as state emerges as top site for mega-plant (http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/07/13/wisconsin-wines-and-dines-foxconn-state-emerges-top-site-mega-plant/475719001/)

Wisconsin has emerged as a top potential site for a major investment from Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn, drawing multiple visits from top executives and boosting private hopes of the state winning a once-in-a-generation opportunity.

Wisconsin still faces competition from multiple states and could have to provide enormous incentives to land a plant from Foxconn Technology Group under a potentially tight timeline.

But extensive interviews show that Wisconsin has gotten intense vetting in recent weeks, with Foxconn executives traveling the state to see potential sites and talking with everyone from politicians and local economic development officials to higher education leaders. That includes a visit in recent days from the company's legendary founder and chairman Terry Gou, who has said Foxconn would make a decision in July.

By the end of the month, we should know the direction of 2 larger projects; Fiserv's HQ and Foxconn. Foxconn is on a whole different level and would change the entire game in the Milwaukee Metro area. Fiserv on the other hand, would be a great HQ for the city to lure downtown. I was hoping Fiserv would get Washington Square built but that doesn't look like the case. If it's down to Schlitz Park or Reed Street Yards, I think I hope they end up at Reed Street but I would be happy with either. It would be awesome for the city to lure a Fortune 500 HQ into the city from the burbs. Then again if I'm being really honest (and selfish), I truly hope they locate in Tosa. Either way, by then end of the month, more good news should be coming out of the Milwaukee area.

The current boom shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. If anything, it seems as if it is about to get way more intense. Now we just need JCI, Marcus, HKS, Masonic, and WEC to show their hands....

bucksfan15
Jul 15, 2017, 4:11 AM
Caught wind of another 1,000,000+ sq ft warehouse to be built in SE Wisconsin. This one in Racine County though. Don't really know if I should (or can) say much more so I won't other than.....it's a local company (already a presence in-state) and it ain't Foxconn...

the urban politician
Jul 15, 2017, 2:29 PM
^ Cool. Huge warehouses are nice but they don't really employ a lot of people

LouisVanDerWright
Jul 15, 2017, 5:06 PM
^ Cool. Huge warehouses are nice but they don't really employ a lot of people

Except when they are Amazon and employ 2500 people.

danielschell
Jul 18, 2017, 4:03 PM
More photos than anyone needs of construction on the Bucks' new arena, next to the Bradley Center. http://wp.me/p7uLxw-3H6

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_8737-2.jpg?w=768&h=512

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_2631-2.jpg?w=1250&h=

bucksfan15
Jul 18, 2017, 5:28 PM
^^^^^^

Nice pics man.

danielschell
Jul 18, 2017, 9:24 PM
^^^^^^

Nice pics man.

Much appreciated :cheers:

Booch
Jul 19, 2017, 4:50 PM
Now we just need JCI, Marcus, HKS, Masonic, and WEC to show their hands....

I would love for Marcus to build at the end of Water St. I have always said that the design is a perfect bookend to the downtown.

But I have also learned that having faith in Marcus Corp is like kicking water uphill.

bucksfan15
Jul 21, 2017, 2:59 PM
I would love for Marcus to build at the end of Water St. I have always said that the design is a perfect bookend to the downtown.

But I have also learned that having faith in Marcus Corp is like kicking water uphill.

Good news is that if Marcus falls through like they usually do, the 24-story hotel planned by HKS between the North End and Bader Rutter seems like a sure thing. I'm really hoping this is the time Marcus finally pulls the trigger though because those 2 towers would anchor that end of downtown nicely.

bucksfan15
Jul 21, 2017, 5:23 PM
Contractors sought for Bradley Center demo work (http://dailyreporter.com/2017/07/20/contractors-sought-for-bradley-center-demo-work/)

Even though the demolition of the BMO Harris Bradley Center may be more than a year away, the contractor heading up that project is already out looking for some help.

Brookfield-based Hunzinger Construction, the contractor in charge of the demolition project, is seeking subcontractors interested in performing demolition and site-preparation work. Bids for the work are due on Aug. 17, and a pre-bid meeting is scheduled for Aug. 1.

bucksfan15
Jul 21, 2017, 9:18 PM
Senator: Foxconn deal with Wisconsin could come soon (https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmj4.com/2277311938/senator-foxconn-deal-with-wisconsin-could-come-soon.html)

Mount Pleasant property owners are being asked to option their land for Foxconn (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/21/mount-pleasant-property-owners-being-asked-option-their-land-foxconn/499787001/)

bucksfan15
Jul 24, 2017, 4:22 PM
Wall Street Journal reporting Foxconn is going to choose Wisconsin and could announce as soon as this week...

bucksfan15
Jul 24, 2017, 5:00 PM
Foxconn nearing decision to invest in Wisconsin, Wall Street Journal says (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/24/foxconn-nearing-decision-invest-wisconsin-wall-street-journal-says/504308001/)

The Wall Street Journal said Monday that Foxconn Technology Group could announce its U.S. investment plans this week, and implied the company will build a display-panel factory in Wisconsin.

Citing three people briefed on Foxconn's plans, the newspaper said Foxconn is looking at producing display panels for large-screen televisions in Wisconsin.

bucksfan15
Jul 24, 2017, 6:09 PM
2 large tower cranes are being erected at The District in Tosa. That brings suburban Wauwatosa's tower crane count to 4 :cheers:

bucksfan15
Jul 24, 2017, 10:57 PM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Goll-mansion-2-770x560.jpg

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Goll-mansion.jpg

Goll Mansion developer submits updated plans for residential tower (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/government-politics/goll-mansion-developer-submits-updated-plans-for-residential-tower/)

The Madison-based developer that wants to build at apartment tower at Goll Mansion site in Milwaukee has resubmitted plans to stabilize the 118-year-old mansion on the city’s East Side and construct a 27-story, 192-unit apartment tower adjacent to the building.

Developer and property owner Chris Houden has made slight design changes to the project and added several aesthetic changes since the project failed to gain approval from the Milwaukee Common Council last year.

While I would love to see this one get built, it is in Bauman's district who, time and time again, has shown how anti-development he is. I say this one has no chance but it's super nice to look at.

the urban politician
Jul 25, 2017, 12:29 AM
Wow, Milwaukee excites me. My pants are getting moist with all this good news north of the border. With Foxconn potentially coming in I'm thinking Kenosha is going to take off. But not just Kenosha--we may see an injection of life all the way from Racine through Zion, Waukegan. These places sure need the economic engine.

bucksfan15
Jul 25, 2017, 4:01 AM
Foxconn deal to come in Milwaukee Thursday (http://www.channel3000.com/news/money/report-foxconn-deal-to-come-in-milwaukee-thursday/592161728)

A deal for a major tech company to come to Wisconsin could be imminent, according to reports.

Milwaukee talk radio host and conservative commentator Mark Belling told listeners Monday afternoon that the Foxconn deal would be announced at the Milwaukee Art Museum on Thursday.

Calculating the cost – and benefits – of potential deal (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/government-politics/milwaukee-biz-blog-wisconsin-may-have-to-offer-billions-to-attract-foxconn/)

Let’s assume the estimates are correct that Foxconn would create 10,000 direct jobs over time if it picked Wisconsin. Using the Tesla and SolarCity incentive packages as examples, that works out to an incentive package of $2 billion over time. The average of the five largest deals suggests a package of $3 billion or more.

That cost is tied to direct jobs only. Indirect jobs in the Foxconn supply chain could total another 20,000 because there would likely be 150 or more suppliers. Building a massive plant may require 15,000 construction workers for the duration.

Have I mentioned that Foxconn’s presence in Wisconsin could position the state as a leader in 5G technology, display screens, virtual reality, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, materials science and regenerative medicine? While the company is best known for assembling Apple’s iPhone, it is the world’s largest contract manufacturer of electronics and increasingly a player in medical devices, diagnostics and imaging.

So just for fun, say best case scenario does happen, that's 10,000(factory)+20,000(indirect)+15,000(construction). 45,000 is a shit ton of jobs. Realistically, I expect nowhere near that, maybe half, but still, this could really shake up SE Wisconsin and the entire Milwaukee Metro area. I love that they are announcing at the Milwaukee Art Museum. This deal is big. I also read that they hoped to have the factory operating by 2020. This could be quick to start.

The North One
Jul 25, 2017, 4:19 AM
So they're putting Michigan on the building? lol

bucksfan15
Jul 25, 2017, 4:46 PM
Two more infill projects and one tower received approval. The infill projects are in Bay View and on the East Side. The tower is in the valley.

Milwaukee apartment developments win zoning committee approval in Bay View, east side (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/07/25/milwaukee-apartment-developments-win-zoning-committee-approval/507907001/)

The Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee endorsed zoning changes for a six-story, 144-unit building at 2130 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., and a five-story, 44-unit building south of E. North Ave. and west of N. Cambridge Ave.

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hamburger-Marys-.jpg

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hamburger-Marys-New-Land-3.jpg

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hamburger-Marys-New-Land2.jpg

Starting next summer...

The $25 million Bay View development is being proposed by New Land Enterprises at the former site of Hamburger Mary's, which would be razed. The project site would include an adjacent vacant lot that would be bought from the city for $161,500.

Starting this fall...

The site is now occupied by the former Judge's Irish Pub, 1431 E. North Ave., which has been closed for four years, and a duplex, said Kalan Haywood, Vangard owner.

Both buildings would be demolished to make way for the new development, which would include underground parking and street-level commercial space.

https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Potawatomi-Hotel-Expansion-2-768x1152.jpg

If this one is opening by Spring 2019 it's definitely going to be starting soon....

A 19-story, 119-room addition to Potawatomi Hotel and Casino, 1721 W. Canal St. The 381-room hotel has been popular with casino guests since opening in August 2014.

bucksfan15
Jul 25, 2017, 10:00 PM
New Apartments for Oak and Loc (http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/07/25/eyes-on-milwaukee-new-apartments-for-oak-and-loc/)

Last night East-Side residents had their first chance to react to a 5-story, 55-unit apartment building planned for the northeast corner of N. Oakland Ave. and E. Locust St. The building, which would require a zoning variance, is being proposed by Klein Development and Jeno Cataldo. Striegel-Agacki Studio is leading the design of the project.

bucksfan15
Jul 26, 2017, 9:57 PM
FOXCONN LANDS IN METRO MILWAUKEE

13,000 direct jobs, 22,000 indirect jobs, 10,000 construction jobs, 20 million square feet.

3 times the size of the Pentagon. 5 times the size of the Boeing plant. 4 times the size of the Chrysler HQ.

I mean that pretty much speaks for itself. Metro Milwaukee is ready to boom. :cheers:

danielschell
Jul 28, 2017, 1:35 PM
http://wp.me/p7uLxw-3LS

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_2867.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_3014.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_2972.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_8668.jpg?w=1250&h=

bucksfan15
Jul 28, 2017, 2:49 PM
^^^^^^

I live a block away from that building so I've had the pleasure of watching it rise first hand. Man it's going to be a beautiful building. I think right on par with their office tower.

In Foxconn (and arena) news....

Exclusive: Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou explains company's $10 billion plan for Wisconsin (http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/07/28/foxconn-chairman-terry-gou-explains-10-billion-plan-wisconsin/518765001/)

The commitment may even include a naming rights deal for all or part of the Milwaukee Bucks’ new arena, Gou said. “I would say this: We (are) working with them, but it’s not final yet,” Gou said. “Do we want the whole building or just one section? I don’t know.”

I like the sound of it. Foxconn Arena.

bucksfan15
Jul 28, 2017, 3:31 PM
Foxconn could break ground on first Wisconsin facility this fall
Mega manufacturer looking at sites in Racine, Kenosha and Milwaukee counties, could build at multiple locations (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/economic-development/foxconn-could-break-ground-on-first-wisconsin-facility-this-fall/)

“This is a big project that is moving at a speed which we are not accustomed to,” said Tim Sheehy, president of the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce. “But one of the reasons we were successful in attracting them is the speed in which we responded. The plan is to break ground in fall.”

bucksfan15
Jul 28, 2017, 5:32 PM
Apparently Foxconn is now exploring the possibility of a downtown Milwaukee office tower. Stay tuned on that one.

Edit: The land they are pitching is the same land JCI has been talking about building a new tallest on. Could get interesting.

mhays
Jul 28, 2017, 7:14 PM

13,000 direct jobs, 22,000 indirect jobs, 10,000 construction jobs, 20 million square feet.

3 times the size of the Pentagon. 5 times the size of the Boeing plant. 4 times the size of the Chrysler HQ.

I mean that pretty much speaks for itself. Metro Milwaukee is ready to boom. :cheers:

"The" Boeing plant? If you mean the main-assembly building in Everett, sure. But Boeing has hundreds of buildings, including many in Everett alone.

It's an impressive win for Milwaukee. I question the massive incentive package though.

Washington State had a somewhat larger package that helped keep Boeing in town a while back, but that was for 80,000 jobs, with a much higher average wage.

202_Cyclist
Jul 28, 2017, 7:40 PM

Not to get into a big debate about this but Scott Walker provided a $3B subsidy to get this investment, which comes out to more than $230,000 per direct job. It remains to be seen whether this turns out to be a sound decision, especially considering that investment in infrastructure would likely create more direct jobs for less money.

Studies have found that investing infrastructure creates an estimated 17,000 - 19,000 direct jobs for every billion dollars of investment.

https://www.newamerica.org/economic-growth/policy-papers/the-case-for-an-infrastructure-led-jobs-and-growth-strategy/

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/docs/NCHRP08-36(103)_FR.pdf

bucksfan15
Jul 28, 2017, 10:37 PM
Foxconn factory could lead to $1B Corning plant in Wisconsin (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/07/28/corning-could-lead-march-of-suppliers-to-foxconn.html)

The amount of news/development pouring out of this is crazy. Tough to keep up. They've already talked about multiple satellite sites throughout the metro area, naming rights on the arena, a downtown Milwaukee office development, and now potentially a $1 billion Corning plant. Man when Foxconn makes an entrance, they make an entrance.

Booch
Jul 28, 2017, 10:52 PM
I have been told from a good source that the Corning deal is done and that will also be located in Racine/Kenosha county.

And fwiw... Wisconsin was the state that bid the lowest for the Foxconn deal. And from what I hear, Kasich wanted nothing to do with this because of the affiliation with Trump.

Regarding the JCI tower...my hope was that Foxconn would occupy some floors in a JCI building. I find it difficult to believe that Foxconn would be an anchor for a 50 story office tower. That being said, I don't think that tower ever gets built. Ever. It might as well be another Marcus proposal.

bucksfan15
Jul 29, 2017, 12:43 AM
I have been told from a good source that the Corning deal is done and that will also be located in Racine/Kenosha county.

And fwiw... Wisconsin was the state that bid the lowest for the Foxconn deal. And from what I hear, Kasich wanted nothing to do with this because of the affiliation with Trump.

Regarding the JCI tower...my hope was that Foxconn would occupy some floors in a JCI building. I find it difficult to believe that Foxconn would be an anchor for a 50 story office tower. That being said, I don't think that tower ever gets built. Ever. It might as well be another Marcus proposal.

I'm curious to see what other employers follow Foxconn/Corning. Some articles have said up to 150 different suppliers could potentially locate around the plant. If a $1Billion Corning plant is just the first one of those suppliers, SE Wisconsin could be in for some serious, rabid industrial development in the I-94 corridor.

I also read that Wisconsin wasn't even the highest bid. Must have really wined and dined them.

I think Foxconn/JCI would be perfect to go in on a tower together. If I remember correctly what I had read, JCI already works with Foxconn pretty closely. Don't even get me started about Marcus. Someone else like AMC needs to step up and just put a movie theater downtown because Marcus isn't making any moves on Edison Place.

bucksfan15
Aug 2, 2017, 3:25 AM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NewBMOtower2-2.jpg

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NewBMOtower2-1.jpg

Irgens buys BMO Harris tower
Work for new building to begin this month (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/banking-finance/irgens-buys-bmo-harris-tower/)

The new 25-story BMO Harris Financial Center will be located south of Wells Street between North Water Street and North Broadway. It will be built next to the existing BMO Harris office tower and will become the new Wisconsin headquarters for BMO Harris Bank and law firm Michael Best & Friedrich LLP.

The initial construction phase of utility relocations for the new tower will begin this month, with demolition of the parking structure shortly afterwards. The 379,400-square-foot building and 647-stall parking ramp is scheduled for completion in December 2019.

As for the current BMO tower...

After BMO Harris moves into its new offices, Irgens will redevelop the 20-story building at 770 N. Water St. into a mixed use development. That work will not begin until 2020. Currently, use options being considered are hospitality, creative office and housing.

bucksfan15
Aug 2, 2017, 1:47 PM
Additionally, the Potawatomi Hotel Tower received final approval yesterday. This means BMO Harris Financial Center, Couture, 777, Potawatomi, St. Johns and the 13-story Farwell towers could all be under construction at the same time (not even counting the arena, streetcar, and all the infill projects, that's just high-rises).

Waiting on word from JCI, Masonic, Fiserv, Foxconn, WEC Energies, HKS, Marcus, the Third Ward Hotel, and Nexus to see which other towers are going to join the crane party in Milwaukee.

bucksfan15
Aug 4, 2017, 6:41 PM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/linden-parters.jpg

https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/324-S.-2nd-St.-350x255.jpg

Small infill project breaking ground. Nothing too exciting but added density nonetheless to the rapidly growing Walkers Point neighborhood. Walkers Point is beginning to resemble a more gritty version of the Third Ward. I dig it.

Groundbreaking of The Quin, a 70-unit apartment development in Milwaukee’s Walker’s Point neighborhood (http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelease/groundbreaking-of-the-quin-a-70-unit-apartment-development-in-milwaukees-walkers-point-neighborhood/)

Milwaukee, WI. August 4, 2017)- Linden Street Partners, which has offices in Pittsburgh, PA and Santa Ana, CA, will join Altius Building Company, Rinka Chung Architecture, and Tri City National Bank at The Quin building site on Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 10:00 a.m. for the official groundbreaking. The Quin, located at the northeast corner of South 2nd Street and West Florida Street, will introduce 70 new luxury apartments to the neighborhood.

bucksfan15
Aug 12, 2017, 3:02 PM
It's been slow but you might want to keep your eyes on the Milwaukee thread the next couple weeks. Just off the top of my head...

-BMO Harris Financial Center to begin demo.
-Potawatomi Hotel Tower to begin.
-Pending decision on the 1550 Prospect tower.
-Fiserv HQ announcement.
-Sewer relocation making way for the Couture.
-JCI HQ announcement?!?!?! (fingers crossed on this one)

and most importantly....

FOXCONN!! Including passage of the Senate/House (sounds like they have the votes), Site Announcement(s) (potentially multiple sites in Racine, Dane, AND Milwaukee counites), and possible naming rights to the new Buck's arena?!

There is a lot going on, too much to keep up with, so I'm sure I'm missing things but still, between now the time the Couture breaks ground in December, A LOT could happen.

bucksfan15
Aug 12, 2017, 3:48 PM
Take an aerial tour of Milwaukee-area's largest construction projects (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/08/12/take-an-aerial-tour-of-milwaukee-areas-largest.html)

Hot spots include Mayfair Road in Wauwatosa, where hundreds of apartments are under construction and, of course, downtown Milwaukee. Even though housing still is the busiest sector, projects underway cross the spectrum from medical, to manufacturing to entertainment.

Lot's of great pictures of some of the larger construction projects happening around the Milwaukee Metro area. I don't know how to post pics from the BizJournal so feel free to click the link and take a look.

bucksfan15
Aug 15, 2017, 12:36 AM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Goll-mansion-2-1.jpg

Commission Approves 27-Story Tower (http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/08/14/eyes-on-milwaukee-commission-approves-27-story-tower/)

Alderman Robert Bauman, who has previously opposed the project, reinforced that position at today’s meeting. The alderman, wearing a “Protect Prospect” sticker distributed by project opponents, noted that the only design change he can see is that the project has been moved 10 feet further from the bluff.

Bauman cited a number of provisions in the plan he doesn’t believe the proposed tower complies with, contradicting an earlier presentation from Department of City Development planning manager Vanessa Koster that outlined how it does. The alderman noted “there was concern expressed with exactly this type of project coming along.”

Bauman added that he believes “you will see significant double parking occurring on Prospect.” This contradicted a statement by Koster earlier in the meeting that the Department of Public Works is not requesting a traffic study for the project on the basis that the configuration and amount of parking proposed is “acceptable.”

Bauman isn’t opposed to all aspects of the project, noting “I think the architecture here is pretty decent.” He noted other sites in the heart of Downtown that he thinks would be good sites for the project — none, however, along the lake.

Basically this goon's opposition comes from the fact that it isn't part of the area's comprehensive plan (even though it was pointed out to him that it indeed is) and all of a sudden double parking will magically occur solely because of this project (even though they said a traffic study isn't needed due to the amount of parking included). Never mind the other towers lining Prospect currently. At least he thinks highly of the architecture. Someone needs to run against NIMBY Bauman.

embora
Aug 16, 2017, 3:56 AM
It's been slow but you might want to keep your eyes on the Milwaukee thread the next couple weeks. Just off the top of my head...

-BMO Harris Financial Center to begin demo.
-Potawatomi Hotel Tower to begin.
-Pending decision on the 1550 Prospect tower.
-Fiserv HQ announcement.
-Sewer relocation making way for the Couture.
-JCI HQ announcement?!?!?! (fingers crossed on this one)

and most importantly....

FOXCONN!! Including passage of the Senate/House (sounds like they have the votes), Site Announcement(s) (potentially multiple sites in Racine, Dane, AND Milwaukee counites), and possible naming rights to the new Buck's arena?!

There is a lot going on, too much to keep up with, so I'm sure I'm missing things but still, between now the time the Couture breaks ground in December, A LOT could happen.

Have there been rumblings of JCI making such an announcement? Or are you just saying that it could happen? They at one point said they wouldn't make any decision for at least a year, but I thought that statement would put them at least to October or something. Admittedly, this is off the top of my head, so don't take what I'm writing as authoritative.

bucksfan15
Aug 16, 2017, 5:17 PM
Have there been rumblings of JCI making such an announcement? Or are you just saying that it could happen? They at one point said they wouldn't make any decision for at least a year, but I thought that statement would put them at least to October or something. Admittedly, this is off the top of my head, so don't take what I'm writing as authoritative.

Like you said, about a year ago (I think it was indeed last October) they said a decision was a year away, which would mean an announcement could be coming in the next month or two? At this point, I'm kind of thinking $hit or get off the pot regarding JCI. They are sitting there holding on to the most prime piece of real estate in the city. It's been 2 years, time to make a decision otherwise Milwaukee Count needs to give the land to someone who will.

EDIT:

Here's the article from last October I think we were both referring to...

Decision on possible Johnson Controls office tower at least a year away (https://www.biztimes.com/2016/industries/manufacturing-logistics/decision-on-possible-johnson-controls-office-tower-at-least-a-year-away/)

In September 2015, Johnson Controls president and CEO Alex Molinaroli predicted a decision on the downtown site within a year, leaving people anxiously awaiting news of a possible 50-story, 1.2 million-square-foot building, which has been rumored since at least early 2015, near the lakefront.

bucksfan15
Aug 18, 2017, 4:33 AM
Assembly passes Foxconn bill with three Dem votes (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/government-politics/assembly-passes-foxconn-bill-with-three-dem-votes/)
Barca, Mason and Ohnstad join GOP in support

The vote was 59-30, with Minority Leader Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) and Democratic Reps. Cory Mason and Tod Ohnstad of Racine and Kenosha joining Republicans. Republicans Adam Jarchow of Balsam Lake and Todd Novak of Dodgeville voted against it.

Good to see at least some bipartisan support. I'm surprised Mayor Barrett, who has already thrown his support behind this, didn't rally more Democrats outside of those from SE Wisconsin. This is a huge risk but I think the potential benefits far outweigh the costs. Only time will tell but in my opinion, Wisconsin just took a HUGE step forward. This deal could really provide a spark to the metro area, continuing the current boom and bringing it back to the midwestern powerhouse it once was, potentially even joining the Milwaukee/Chicago metro areas. Now if NE Illinois ends up landing that Toyota/Mazda plant.....watch out.....

mbradleyc
Aug 19, 2017, 3:35 AM
Pshaw! Why would Illinois land any kind of factory with their current fiscal crisis?

Wisconsin is going after it. If it doesn't land here, it will probably be in the south. Maybe Indiana.

danielschell
Aug 21, 2017, 1:22 PM
The Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons opens today http://wp.me/p7uLxw-482

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2754.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2793.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2828.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2955.jpg?w=1250&h=

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_5596.jpg?w=1250&h=

CastleScott
Aug 21, 2017, 6:56 PM
^ That really turned out to be a gorgeous building!

bucksfan15
Aug 21, 2017, 10:11 PM
^ That really turned out to be a gorgeous building!

You should see Northwestern Mutual's apartment tower at 777 N VanBuren going up across the street. Very impressive in itself.

@danielschell Nice pics!! Thanks for the photo update. Glad to see this one finally open.

bucksfan15
Aug 21, 2017, 10:14 PM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Couture_Rendering_NEW.jpg

In other news, it appears as if 2 more towers have broken ground. A teammate of mine working on the project told me that excavation for the Couture would begin this week. Additionally, work as begun on the BMO Harris Financial Center. Add 2 more towers to the list of projects rising out of Milwaukee's soil.

Couture (44 stories/537 feet)
BMO Harris Financial Center (25 stories/335 feet)

danielschell
Aug 23, 2017, 12:56 AM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Couture_Rendering_NEW.jpg

In other news, it appears as if 2 more towers have broken ground. A teammate of mine working on the project told me that excavation for the Couture would begin this week. Additionally, work as begun on the BMO Harris Financial Center. Add 2 more towers to the list of projects rising out of Milwaukee's soil.

Couture (44 stories/537 feet)
BMO Harris Financial Center (25 stories/335 feet)

Wow. Couture looks awesome.

danielschell
Aug 31, 2017, 3:05 PM
Lots of random photos of the huge redevelopment at The Brewery. There's a tower crane (sort of) so naturally I stopped by. http://wp.me/p7uLxw-41t

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2570.jpg?w=846&h=&zoom=2

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2546.jpg?w=846&h=&zoom=2

https://buildingupchicagodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_2469.jpg?w=768

bucksfan15
Sep 7, 2017, 2:57 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4439/36888097206_87c8f8bab4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YcF98Y)NML's Masterpiece (https://flic.kr/p/YcF98Y) by bucksfan86 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123920798@N02/), on Flickr

bucksfan15
Sep 10, 2017, 3:25 PM
NML's crane is getting raised as we speak. Should be up to the final crane height possibly?

News has been slow these last couple weeks. I assume news should start pouring in once Foxconn gets the state OK this week.

bucksfan15
Sep 14, 2017, 6:07 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/picture-gallery/news/2017/09/14/photo-construction-begins-at-bucks-arena-entertainment-district/105602556/

Work has started on the Live Block at the Arena District.

202_Cyclist
Sep 20, 2017, 2:33 PM
The Northwestern Mutual building looks great-- thank you for posting the photos. The NYT has a good article about a Foxconn facility in Brazil.

Before Wisconsin, Foxconn Vowed Big Spending in Brazil. Few Jobs Have Come.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/business/foxconn-trump-wisconsin.html?mcubz=0

bucksfan15
Sep 22, 2017, 11:46 PM
The bill is signed and Wisconsin is Open For Business.....

MLG execs say Foxconn could turn region from Siberia into hot market (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/09/22/mlg-execs-say-foxconn-could-turn-region-from.html)

“You have to include Foxconn in the discussion. That’s transformational. I think Foxconn will happen and I think the waves of positive impact from that will affect the entire region and probably the whole state. That’s going to be a massive game-changer."

Business Support For Foxconn Growing In Wisconsin (https://www.wpr.org/business-support-foxconn-growing-wisconsin)

Governor Scott Walker signed a $3 billion dollar incentive package for technology manufacturer Foxconn to build a plant in Wisconsin. And a new report shows there's broad support for the move from businesses in the state.

Gov. Walker Inks Foxconn Deal, Company Hopes to Break Ground Next Spring (http://wuwm.com/post/gov-walker-inks-foxconn-deal-company-hopes-break-ground-next-spring#stream/0)

Walker laid out the next steps in the process. He said the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation board still needs to approve the deal; it’s scheduled to meet next Thursday. Then, the governor said Foxconn officials will be in Wisconsin a few days later to sign a contract with the state – and to announce exactly where the plant will be located. Walker said if all goes as planned, groundbreaking on the plant will take place next spring.

No public announcement, but lawmaker spills the beans on Foxconn location (http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/no-public-announcement-but-lawmaker-spills-the-beans-on-foxconn-location)

Monday Governor Scott Walker signed the Foxconn bill into law. There wasn't an announcement about the tech giants location, but State Representative Peter Barca told TODAY'S TMJ4 it's headed to Mount Pleasant.

"Off of highway H between Highway 11 and Braun Road," said Rep. Peter Barca, Kenosha.

So there it is, Foxconn will build its 20 million square foot facility in the suburban Milwaukee city of Mt. Pleasant. Hoping to break ground this spring. Man, this thing is going to be massive and it's only going to fuel the current industrial boom happening in the hot I-94 corridor between Milwaukee and Chicago. I will say, I'm happy they chose Racine over Kenosha as this puts Foxconn squarely in Metro Milwaukee and further away from Chicagoland's sphere of influence. So what is up next for Foxconn and Milwaukee? An office tower downtown? Naming rights on the new arena? The $1 billion Corning plant rumored to be following Foxconn? A rumored Madison-area Foxconn development? The rumored Foxconn-related development at Milwaukee's Mitchell International? Stay tuned. Fun times in Brew City.

On a separate but related note, tucked into the Foxconn bill was tax credits for Fiserv, the Brookfield based Fortune 500 company that is rumored to be making the move down I-94 into the city. Reed Street Yards in Walkers Point sounds like it is going to be its final landing point and that would be a HUGE win for downtown Milwaukee and the Walkers Point area.

bucksfan15
Sep 25, 2017, 3:59 AM
Foxconn discusses 'Smart City' to house Racine County workers (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/09/24/foxconn-discusses-smart-city-to-house-racine.html)

Racine Mayor Dennis Wiser said he has heard discussions of housing for 6,000 to 8,000 people in Smart City. Beyond that kind of housing development closer to the interstate, he said Racine could encourage new upper-end apartments catering to Foxconn’s research staff members.

“We suspect the final decision for that will rest with Foxconn, and we’re going to try to address it the best we can either way,” Wiser said of housing needs.

Wiser said Foxconn could support or accelerate some of Racine’s development efforts. It could create more demand for new housing or office space in the city’s Machinery Row property, which could be cleared for future development. Racine also is in the planning stages to attract a new hotel and convention center development to its downtown lakefront. Visitors to Foxconn could help generate demand for hotel rooms, Wiser said.

Under the current city vision, a hotel with about 150 rooms could be built, Wiser said.

“We have had calls from people saying that if Foxconn arrives, they would go much more than that,” Wiser said.

Looks like Racine County suburbs are about to give this a full-court press. Racine already has a nice, dense, downtown core situated right on Lake Michigan boasting a decent historic building stock. I would love to see that mature into something more with a nice mix of new development (low to mid-rise residential buildings) coupled with some nice historic restoration projects. This could really make Racine take off and challenge Waukesha as, IMO, Milwaukee's anchor suburb.

bucksfan15
Sep 26, 2017, 6:16 PM
https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Goll-mansion-2-1.jpg

FINALLY!! Some development news...

Goll Mansion apartment tower wins Common Council approval (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/real-estate/goll-mansion-apartment-tower-wins-common-council-approval/)

The $55 million project at 1550 N. Prospect Ave., has been opposed by neighbors who said they didn’t want additional traffic, construction disturbances or blocked views and their alderman, who up until the end, attempted to block the project.

“Nowhere in our ordinances does it say increasing the tax base is a criteria for a zoning change,” said Alderman Robert Bauman, who represents the district where the Goll is located.

Bauman attempted at one point to force the Madison-based project developer, Chris Houden, to put $3.5 million in an escrow account to ensure he would meet unrequired hiring standards. The city attorney later said the idea was illegal.

Bauman and all of those condo owners next door that have been lining his pockets LOSE!!! Thank god. And now, Milwaukee gets another tower!! Between this, the 13-story Farwell tower, Mandel's Portfolio tower, and St. John's new tower, it will be nice to see a few buildings rising in the lower east side.

bucksfan15
Sep 27, 2017, 4:21 AM
The amount of hotels under construction, recently constructed, or planned in the Milwaukee Metro is somewhat baffling. Add 2 more in suburban Brookfield. Same company claims to be eying up sites for additional hotels both in the suburbs and downtown.

Hawkeye Hotels plans to break ground this year on two Brookfield hotels (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/hospitality-tourism/hawkeye-hotels-plans-to-break-ground-this-year-on-two-brookfield-hotels/)
Iowa company eyeing more sites in Brookfield, downtown Milwaukee for future hotels

“We are looking at quite a few development deals, which include other properties in Brookfield, as well as properties in downtown Milwaukee and the other suburbs,” Patel said. “What we are seeing is Brookfield is actually the strongest submarket in all of Milwaukee, outside of downtown.”

As far as downtown Milwaukee, Patel said Hawkeye is evaluating a “variety of sites, but has not locked down anything yet.”

Wondering how far behind a convention center expansion will be. It could be an interesting discussion when the Bradley Center gets demolished. There's a chance to remake that whole corner of downtown with planned projects like a new signature public museum (announced next month), new civic center buildings (potential tower here), Nexus or Embarke (both towers), convention center expansion, 200-room Hilton addition, the next phase of the streetcar up 4th street, another potential convention hotel at the B.C. site, and everything happening up at the arena district.

bucksfan15
Oct 3, 2017, 2:18 PM
https://6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mayfair-Hotel-SW-Corner-Final-KS-650x473.jpg

Developers proposing 196-room hotel at Wauwatosa site (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/hospitality-tourism/mayfair-office-tower-could-be-converted-into-luxury-hotel/)

HKS Holdings is planning to redevelop the 12-story, 120,000-square-foot office tower at northeast corner of North Mayfair Road and West North Avenue into a luxury hotel, according to plans submitted to the city of Wauwatosa.

bucksfan15
Oct 9, 2017, 11:20 PM
Since news has been "slow" recently, here's a quick update on Foxconn. Since my last update, Foxconn has hired it's first Wisconsin employee, selected a location for the plant, held a job fair at Marquette University to fill 10,000 positions, is leasing space in Racine County to begin production while their plant is built, and is all but confirmed (in my eyes) as the owner of naming rights to the new arena...

Foxconn hires its first Wisconsin employee - USA Today (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/03/foxconn-hires-former-navy-pilot-its-first-wisconsin-employee/725478001/)

Foxconn Technology Group has hired its first Wisconsin employee for its efforts to build a massive flat-screen plant in Racine County.

Foxconn selects Mount Pleasant site as location of $10 billion manufacturing plant
(https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/10/04/foxconn-picks-mount-pleasant-site-as-location-of.html)

The company said Wednesday its main plant will be bordered by Interstate 94, Braun Road, Highway H and Highway KR, on the southern border of Racine County in Mount Pleasant.

Foxconn also has carved out land to the north, between Highway 11 and Braun Road, for future expansion. Land southeast of Braun Road and Highway H will be used for construction staging and future growth.

Foxconn actively recruiting at Marquette — and UW-Madison is likely next (http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2017/10/foxconn-actively-recruiting-at-marquette-and-uw-madison-is-likely-next)

Job postings appear online as Foxconn announces plant location: “Growing work environment” (http://fox6now.com/2017/10/04/job-postings-appear-online-as-foxconn-announces-plant-location-growing-work-environment/)

Foxconn to lease Mount Pleasant building to start up Wisconsin production (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/10/01/foxconn-to-lease-mount-pleasant-building-to.html)

Peter Feigin puts international spin on pitch for Milwaukee Bucks arena naming rights (http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017/10/09/peter-feigin-puts-international-spin-pitch-fothe-milwaukee-bucks-have-growing-international-followin/746198001/)

"It's not a local deal," he said.

Feigin has said in previous interviews that the Bucks have been talking with Foxconn Technology Group about partnerships, including naming rights.

Foxconn has announced plans to build a massive technology complex in Racine County that could employ up to 13,000 people making liquid crystal display panels.

"I ran," was Feigin's response earlier this summer when asked if he had jumped at the opportunity to meet with Foxconn when it was first announced the company was considering a Wisconsin operation.

Sorry, I know it isn't skyscraper news, but it could definitely lead to some with an influx of close to 50,000 direct/indirect workers (if everything pans out) into the metro area. I do believe this deal, along with Fiserv's rumored move down 94 and into the city, could lead to some substantial residential growth downtown which could mean a few more residential towers? Or, maybe some of the planned but stalled projects like Portfolio could get out of the ground? Anyways, there should be an announcement by months end on a shiny, new world-class museum so there's that to look forward to. Let's see what Rinka Chung has up their sleeves. I hope architecturally it gives the Calatrava a run for its money.

Oh yeah, and the BMO parking garage has barricades in front of it. Looks like demo should be starting soon to make way for the BMO Harris Financial Center tower. I have the perfect view from my apartment so expect plenty of photo updates on that one.

LouisVanDerWright
Oct 10, 2017, 5:49 AM
What's the new museum??

Markitect
Oct 11, 2017, 12:50 AM
What's the new museum??

Since the existing Milwaukee Public Museum building has major maintenance issues, it wants a new building with more back-of-the-house curatorial spaces and smaller exhibit spaces.

bucksfan15
Oct 11, 2017, 1:28 AM
What's the new museum??

A little more on the subject. It will be announced this Saturday at the 2017 Gala. Rinka Chung (Couture, Moderne, Lakefront Gateway Project) is the $150 million project's architect and I'm excited to see what they have up their sleeve.

Milwaukee Public Museum to unveil plans for new downtown venue in October (https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/08/25/milwaukee-public-museum-to-unveil-plans-for-new.html)

The museum will remain downtown but Kois declined to comment on specific sites such as speculated-about locations near the Milwaukee Art Museum and Discovery World or in the Milwaukee Bucks arena district.

Rinka suggested in an interview after the event that Milwaukee Public Museum leaders will strongly consider locations west of the Milwaukee River.

“At this point, I don’t think anyone knows” the next location, Rinka said.

The museum has been located in western downtown Milwaukee throughout its history but that won’t necessarily be the determining factor in the final decision, Kois said.

bucksfan15
Oct 19, 2017, 6:20 PM

https://www.biztimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NewBMOtower2-2.jpg

Barricades are now on site for the new BMO Harris Financial Center. Looks like construction/demo should commence shortly. :cheers: