PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Ottawa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

TransitZilla
Mar 2, 2016, 6:52 PM
Any idea how this will connect to Sussex or the Canal path at either end of this straightaway? There are two reasonably complicated intersections to deal with there.

There is more info here: http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/transforming-ottawa/mackenzie-avenue-bike-tracks

There is a so-so southbound connection shown through the Mackenzie/Rideau intersection, but nothing northbound. I am assuming whatever is implemented this year will be temporary pending re-construction of the Sussex/Rideau/Mackenzie (and hopefully removal of the underpass).

Multi-modal
Mar 2, 2016, 6:59 PM
The plan of the MUP can be found here: (hopefully the link works)

http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents.ottawa.ca/files/documents/mackenzie_biketrack_en.pdf

I like the intersection treatment at Murray. The St. Patrick right-angle crossing seems a little unnecessary, but as an additional option for non-confident cyclists its appreciated. The treatment at the intersection with Rideau/Wellington seems unfinished, but I think that's just a symptom of there not being any "Confederation Boulevard" facility on that section of Wellington yet.

I wonder where the "future cycle track" on Murray is going?

Multi-modal
Mar 2, 2016, 7:02 PM
Edit: Removed because of similarity to bradnixon's post

Kitchissippi
Mar 2, 2016, 7:16 PM
Very inelegantly, the link to the Canal pathway is only one way (southbound) with a required protected-phase signal at Rideau, which no doubt will annoy both cyclists (because they have to wait to trigger the signal) and drivers (because it lengthens the signal phasing and there 's a point where no cars are moving)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1657/24821263853_255fcbd4d3_b.jpg (https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1657/24821263853_4c162785e5_o.jpg)
(Click for larger)

As I said before, the track should be ideally on the Major's Hill Park side of Mackenzie, but cyclists make such ideal pawns in the war against terrorism.

JM1
Mar 3, 2016, 2:33 AM
I will continue to bike on the red paved concrete on the west side of the street. I'm not waiting for a light to cross over. What a dumb plan.

Very inelegantly, the link to the Canal pathway is only one way (southbound) with a required protected-phase signal at Rideau, which no doubt will annoy both cyclists (because they have to wait to trigger the signal) and drivers (because it lengthens the signal phasing and there 's a point where no cars are moving)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1657/24821263853_255fcbd4d3_b.jpg (https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1657/24821263853_4c162785e5_o.jpg)
(Click for larger)

As I said before, the track should be ideally on the Major's Hill Park side of Mackenzie, but cyclists make such ideal pawns in the war against terrorism.

TransitZilla
Mar 3, 2016, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure how being on the Major's Hill side of Mackenzie would make it any better at the Rideau intersection. If it was on that side, southbound movements for cyclists would still require a protected signal phase because there are two right-hand turn lanes to be crossed. There's not even a crosswalk on that side of the intersection today.

Aylmer
Mar 3, 2016, 12:27 PM
It just means that cyclists (a lot of whom are downtown-bound) will have to cross Mackenzie twice (at St.Patrick and Rideau) instead of just hugging the western side of the street.

Kitchissippi
Mar 3, 2016, 1:46 PM
Having it on the Major's Hill side would make the pathway to and from the Alex bridge contiguous without going through a signalized intersection. I would imagine the park is more of a cycling destination than the embassy anyway . Also, the signal at Rideau could be integrated with a phase where cars are going straight or turning left (simply a no right turn phase) PLUS the biggest advantage is that the two way cycle track could continue straight through the Colonel By ramp all the way to the Canal Pathway.

TransitZilla
Mar 3, 2016, 4:10 PM
Having it on the Major's Hill side would make the pathway to and from the Alex bridge contiguous without going through a signalized intersection. I would imagine the park is more of a cycling destination than the embassy anyway . Also, the signal at Rideau could be integrated with a phase where cars are going straight or turning left (simply a no right turn phase) PLUS the biggest advantage is that the two way cycle track could continue straight through the Colonel By ramp all the way to the Canal Pathway.

As it proposed on the east side of Mackenzie, I imagine the signal phasing at Rideau/Mackenzie will work like this:

Rideau EB & WB
Mackenzie SB Right Turn + SB cycle track
Mackenzie SB Right Turn / Straight / Left

You're suggesting this:
Rideau EB & WB
Mackenzie SB Straight / Left + SB cycle track

I don't see much of a difference; in fact your suggestion is probably worse for cars since there is only one phase allowing right turns and I suspect that is the heaviest movement from Mackenzie SB.

I also strongly suspect that the ramp to Colonel By will be removed within the next few years. The vehicle southbound movement will be accommodated via a left turn on to Rideau, then a right onto Colonel By. And at that point a cycle track could be installed where the ramp is to allow northbound and southbound cycling movements.

JM1
Mar 4, 2016, 1:11 AM
Why do you suspect that about the closure of the ramp?

Closing that would cause a lot of congestion at one of the key intersections that allows you to cross the canal. With the bike lane changes to Laurier turns are restricted for those crossing the Laurier bridge. For those using the Mackenzie King bridge there was already difficulty with a through road on the east side. Even the Laurier bridge doesn't link to an eastbound road that gets you across the Rideau River.

Currently with the closure of Rideau Street there's already a lot of difficulty getting from the Eastside to the Westside. If you have to come from the east side of the Rito River across the river and the canal to get downtown your only choice is pretty much bike bike these days.

I actually think a lot has to be done to improve the McKenzie Reto Colonel by intersection for car traffic. While I'm a big supporter of bicycling and walking, this is a major chokepoint in the city for traffic.

:runaway:

As it proposed on the east side of Mackenzie, I imagine the signal phasing at Rideau/Mackenzie will work like this:

Rideau EB & WB
Mackenzie SB Right Turn + SB cycle track

You're suggesting this:
Rideau EB & WB
Mackenzie SB Straight / Left + SB cycle track

I don't see much of a difference; in fact your suggestion is probably worse for cars since there is only one phase allowing right turns and I suspect that is the heaviest movement from Mackenzie SB.

I also strongly suspect that the ramp to Colonel By will be removed within the next few years. The vehicle southbound movement will be accommodated via a left turn on to Rideau, then a right onto Colonel By. And at that point a cycle track could be installed where the ramp is to allow northbound and southbound cycling movements.

rocketphish
Mar 5, 2016, 1:42 PM
City unveils plan for new O'Connor bike lanes

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 4, 2016 | Last Updated: March 4, 2016 6:55 PM EST

Construction of the new $4-million bike lane between Parliament Hill and Lansdowne Park begins this summer.

City council unanimously approved downtown Ottawa’s second segregated bike lane last year and plans to build the 2.5-kilometre north-south cycling spine in two stages, starting this summer.

Detailed designs for the section between Laurier and Fifth avenues will be revealed at an open house on Monday. Work on the section between Wellington and Laurier won’t happen until 2018 at the earliest because the city wants to avoid construction in the downtown core during celebrations marking the 150th anniversary of Canada’s Confederation in 2017.

It also “made sense to wait” until after hundreds of OC Transpo buses are removed from Albert and Slater streets after the Confederation LRT line opens in 2018, said Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney, who will be at Monday’s meeting and has asked the city to install planters along the street.

“O’Connor is such an ugly road. It’s probably the ugliest in the ward,” she said. “This will at least help to beautify it.”

Work will also begin this spring on a new two-way bike lane on the east side of Mackenzie Avenue, adjacent to the United States Embassy. It will connect existing cycling lanes on Sussex Drive, St. Patrick Street and the Alexandra Bridge to Wellington Street, Rideau Street and the Rideau Canal Eastern Parkway, and should be completed by early 2017.

THE O’CONNOR PLAN

Where O’Connor is a one-way street, between Laurier and Pretoria avenues, there will be a two-way bike lane on the east side of the street separated from cars with curbs and flexible bollards. Between Pretoria and Strathcona avenues, where O’Connor is still a one-way street, there will be a bike lane on the west side for cyclists heading south and what’s called a contraflow bike lane on the east side of the street, separated by a curb, for those heading north. And where O’Connor is a two-way street in the Glebe, there will be a mix of painted lanes and shared-use lanes (meaning cars and bikes both use the roadway).

THE LANSDOWNE CONNECTION

The Laurier to Fifth link will connect with a southbound contraflow bike lane along O’Connor between Fifth and Holmwood, bringing cyclists to the north side of Lansdowne Park. Riders could then continue along Holmwood, where the road is shared, to Bank Street and continue travelling further south.

“Bit by bit, we’re creating a continuous, safer, more attractive cycle route,” said Capital Coun. David Chernushenko.

WINTER MAINTENANCE

A proposal presented last year said the new bikeway would be designed to allow for winter maintenance, but staff at the time was not recommending that the new route actually be maintained because O’Connor was not included in the city’s winter cycling network, approved last year. Maintaining the bikeway in the winter would cost $17,000 per year, according to the city.

A council motion to include O’Connor in the winter maintenance network is required and McKenney said she’d like to see this happen during 2017 budget deliberations later this year.

DRIVERS DELAYED

O’Connor will continue to be an arterial route, but longer travel times, especially between 4:15 and 5:15 p.m. on weekdays, are expected, the city says. Currently, it takes up to six minutes for vehicles travelling from Wellington to get to the Queensway, but that could increase by as much as 2 1/2 minutes once the bikeway is completed.

Meanwhile, north of Isabella, existing on-street parking along the east side of O’Connor will be removed. Some of the parking is being relocated to Lisgar and Nepean streets, but not all spaces can be reinstated. However, there will be a permanent parking lane on the west side of O’Connor.

OPEN HOUSE DETAILS

The meeting will be held on March 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Dominion Chalmers Church (355 Cooper St.)

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-unveils-plan-for-new-oconnor-bike-lanes

TransitZilla
Mar 7, 2016, 2:04 AM
Why do you suspect that about the closure of the ramp?

Well for one thing the NCC had wanted to do this for several years: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4080500#post4080500

The Confederation Line will provide the opportunity to move forward when much of the bus traffic on Rideau St is moved to the Mackenzie King Bridge instead.

The designs for Rideau from the recent open house show only two lanes on Rideau at Sussex (one eastbound, one westbound). This is narrowed for four lanes today. This will provide the opportunity to re-purpose one of the eastbound lanes west of Sussex into a right-turn lane on to Colonel By, which will eliminate the need for the ramp.

The Rideau Condederation Line station will also much better serve Confederation Square the psychological and physical barrier of the underpass is removed.

TransitZilla
Mar 7, 2016, 2:05 AM
O'Connor designs are online: http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/transforming-ottawa/open-house-display-boards-7-march-2016

rocketphish
Mar 23, 2016, 4:59 PM
New bike plan makes room for cyclists

By Michelle Nash
Ottawa East News, Mar 23, 2016

This year changes are finally coming to Beechwood Avenue.

They might be small and short term, but the impact could be significant for cyclists using the busy road.

One hundred and fifty people came out to a March 9 open house to discuss the future of transportation along Beechwood, between the Vanier Parkway and Ste. Cecile Street. The councillors who have been working together to create a better plan said they couldn’t be happier with the results.

“I thought it was great,” said Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Tobi Nussbaum. “Many provided some great feedback.”

Nussbaum said he had a number of good conversations about how best to utilize the space on the street, which he admits is limited in some sections.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury echoed Nussbaum’s enthusiasm, adding he was pleased to work at making the street safer for cyclists without having to force them along Barrette Street, like originally proposed in the East-West Bikeway.

The short-term plan includes repainting the lines this summer.

East of Springfield Road, drivers currently use one driving lane in each direction on Beechwood, and can also park along the curb on both sides of the road. When the painting is completed, drivers will still have one driving lane in each direction, but will only be able to park on one side of Beechwood. This design will allow for a bike lane on both sides of the road.

Fleury said the resulting reduction in on-street parking will be addressed with more parking spaces on Barrette Road.

Fighting for cycling space between Charlevoix Street and the Vanier Parkway is a little harder both councillors admitted, but the hope is that by adding more cyclists to the road should help slow down traffic and ultimately make the street more pedestrian and cycling friendly.

“To slow down the traffic is good for every body – it makes people involved in the street,” Nussbaum said. “A successful main street is not a street that has four lanes of traffic on it.”

Vanier Cycles member Sarah Partridge agrees with Nussbaum, saying she believes that the introduction of the bike lanes will ultimately make Beechwood a better main street.

“I look forward to feeling safer on my bike while visiting my favourite shops on Beechwood,” said Partridge, who created the cycling advocacy group.

AT LONG LAST

Ever since the city created the East-West Bikeway, east of the Vanier Parkway, cyclists in the area raised concerns about its safety.

“You get squeezed out,” said Vanier Cycles member Frank Hartmann at a March 2014 meeting on the issue. “I can’t tell you how many times, and I know this is illegal, but I jump on the sidewalk to make it through safely.”

At the time, Hartman and other Vanier Cycles members worked with Fleury’s office to address some of the concerns, which included parking between the parkway and Charlevoix.

Fleury said he believes the reconfiguration of the lanes will alleviate some of the current challenges.

“The more we can make a street complete, the more we can have it balanced,” Fleury said. “We have come a long way and there is more to do. This is not a battle against cars; this is about balancing the needs. “

Hartman now says the new bike plan is definitely a step in the right direction.

“To me, being slightly inconvenienced as a driver in order to gain a vast increase in safety as a cyclist is a worthy trade-off.” he said.

Partridge said she felt it was wonderful to see the updated plan and was pleased that it will actually begin as early as this summer.

The long-term plans for Beechwood include cycling tracks – raised to the same level as the sidewalks. Both councillors believe the tracks will become an easier sell as more of the street becomes redeveloped.

“There are a lot of active development applications,” Nussbaum said. “I am happy with the direction the street is taking and I think we will see more opportunities for increased retail. As we move forward, we are going to try and increase the amount of space for sidewalks and public space and make it a better place to walk, cycle and shop.”

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/6402975-new-bike-plan-makes-room-for-cyclists/

rocketphish
Mar 30, 2016, 5:17 PM
Ottawa to receive $325,000 for cycling infrastructure

Aidan Cox, Postmedia
Published on: March 29, 2016 | Last Updated: March 29, 2016 5:17 PM EDT

http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2016/03/yasir-naqvi-mpp-announced-new-funds-for-ottawa-bicycle-lan.jpeg?quality=55&w=750

The city will receive $325,000 to create and improve cycling infrastructure as part of Ontario’s Municipal Cycling Infrastructure Program.

“Several different kinds of cycling infrastructure will be installed or improved, including on-road cycling lanes, off-road cycling and walking paths, cycling specific signals and signs, active transportation bridges and bike racks,” said Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi at a public announcement Tuesday.

Naqvi was joined by Mathieu Fleury, councillor for Rideau-Vanier, Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and other city officials at the entrance to Major’s Hill Park on Mackenzie Avenue. It was an apt location given much of the funds will go specifically towards creating bike lanes along Mackenzie Avenue between Rideau and Murray streets in order to add to what Fleury described as a “growing cycling network” in the area.

Watson highlighted Ottawa’s increasing efforts over previous years years to boost spending on cycling infrastructure, and thanked the province for its contribution.

“We know cycling is good for your health, it’s good for the environment, it’s good to rid ourself of some of the congestion in our city,” he said.

Mackenzie Avenue runs along the west side of the US Embassy and part of the bicycle-friendly changes will include removing the concrete Jersey barriers that were installed along the sidewalk after the 9/11 terror attacks.

The money received is part of a $10-million budget the province set aside last year for the cycling infrastructure program in multiple Ontario municipalities.

The City of Ottawa will also contribute to the cycling infrastructure program by matching the funding provided by the province. Additional sources of funding will come from the National Capital Commission and the U.S. Embassy. Ottawa will begin receiving the money this April.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Aidan4jrn

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-to-receive-325000-for-cycling-infrastructure

Capital Shaun
Mar 30, 2016, 5:37 PM

That all makes too much sense.

MoreTrains
Mar 31, 2016, 2:39 PM
That all makes too much sense.

But then the cyclists wouldnt be able to protect America from the terrorists.

McC
Apr 12, 2016, 9:31 PM
X-posting to the cycling thread. This will be a big disruption for summer cycling.

Cycling connection at U of O to close as part of LRT construction

Published on: April 12, 2016 | Last Updated: April 12, 2016 4:23 PM EDT

http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2016/04/cyclists-and-pedestrians-share-a-tunnel-going-under-the-camp1.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all&w=750

A key east-west cycling connection at the University of Ottawa could be closed for the summer as it undergoes a major facelift as part of light rail construction.

In early May, the tunnel underneath Nicholas Street and the Transitway, which is used heavily by those travelling between the campus, Sandy Hill and the west side of the Rideau Canal, will close for at least 12 weeks as crews tear down the Transitway bridge and reconfigure an adjacent plaza as part of construction of the new uOttawa LRT station. The Nicholas overpass will not be replaced, partly because Nicholas will be used by some OC Transpo buses that would normally travel along the Transitway.

The spot is a crucial linchpin for east-west travellers, as it connects a cycling spine that includes the Corktown Footbridge over the canal and the new Adàwe crossing over the Rideau River.

“This is basically the cycling equivalent of the 417 in terms of cycling through downtown,” said Daniel Spence, the university’s sustainable transportation manager.

But as anyone who’s ever walked or biked there knows, it’s a total mess of blind spots and potential conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians.

The poorly-marked cycling lanes run down the centre of the tunnel, while pedestrians are supposed to stick to the sides. A large S-curve, likely designed for people who use wheelchairs or electric scooters, weaves from one side of the plaza, while pedestrians walk up a staircase in the middle. The two paths cross at several points, while another staircase off to one side connects to the upper platform of Campus station, which brings hundreds of people to this small plaza every hour.

Meanwhile, as more people have taken up cycling as a way to get around — and the city has encouraged as much by building cycling and pedestrian bridges nearby — the pressure here has only increased.

According to Spence, it’s also a key spot for the university, which acknowledges that the LRT will be, in the long run, a benefit, even if it brings with it some short-term headaches.

“We’ve been taking in stride things that would otherwise be hard to swallow,” he said.

The university has been meeting monthly with city officials to discuss LRT construction, Spence said, adding he’s seen at least four different sets of drawings for how the plaza might look once the $2.1-billion Confederation line opens in 2018.

Spence said the new plan aims to essentially keep cyclists on one side of the plaza and pedestrians on the other.

Given that Campus station is set to close in less than two weeks, he’s hoping the city and OLRT Constructors, the group building the LRT line, come forward soon with a detailed plan for the corresponding tunnel closure.

City councillors are also eager to hear what’s going to happen.

They say city officials are meeting daily with OLRT to come up with a plan both sides can live with.

“There’s been progress, but no confirmation,” said Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury.

If the tunnel closes completely, one option for cyclists would be to cross Colonel By Drive and then immediately veer to the left and follow a path that would connect to Laurier. The pathway along the canal also hooks up with Laurier.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney says the detour may not be too arduous for cyclists, but something must be done for pedestrians, especially Golden Triangle residents who currently use Campus station.

She wants a shuttle service to run during morning and afternoon peak periods down Elgin and Laurier to deliver people to the nearest Transitway stop.

“I don’t support the closure of the tunnel until we come up with a way to get residents to a Transitway station,” she said.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/cycling-connection-at-u-of-o-to-close-as-part-of-lrt-construction

rocketphish
Apr 18, 2016, 5:25 PM
Alternative routes:

University of Ottawa cyclist, pedestrian tunnel to close for nearly 4 months
Crews will be constructing new uOttawa LRT station

CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2016 11:34 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 18, 2016 11:34 AM ET

A heavily-used pedestrian and cyclist tunnel at the University of Ottawa will shut down in early May for nearly four months as the city continues work on the Confederation light rail line.

The tunnel underneath Colonel By Drive will shut down from May 2 to Aug. 22, the city said in a news release Monday.

While it's closed, crews will be reconfiguring the current Campus OC Transpo station and a portion of the Transitway in order to build the new uOttawa LRT station.

Signs will be installed near the tunnel, as well as on the University of Ottawa campus and the nearby Corkstown and Adàwe pedestrian crossings, directing people to alternate routes, the city said.

There will also be "additional capacity" during peak periods on OC Transpo routes 5 and 14, which operate along Elgin Street and make connections with bus routes to the university, during the construction work.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3540783.1460990980!/fileImage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/original_620/city-ottawa-cycling-pedestrian-uottawa-university-ottawa-tunnel-map.png

Along with the tunnel closure, university students and Sandy Hill residents will also soon be adapting to life without a major section of the Transitway.

Beginning April 24, the Transitway will close between Lees and Laurier stations, with most of the affected buses detouring onto Nicholas Street.

That work is being done to make the bus-only thoroughfare compatible with light rail, which is scheduled to arrive in Ottawa in 2018.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-pedestrian-cyclist-tunnel-close-1.3540768

MoreTrains
Apr 19, 2016, 1:20 PM
At least its in the off season?

TransitZilla
Apr 19, 2016, 4:06 PM
At least its in the off season?

The off-season for uOttawa maybe, but the peak season for cycling. Unfortunate with this being the first summer with the new Adawe bridge being open. This is along the route downtown for cycling commuters from the east end.

I also use the tunnel in the summer when cycling with my son in a bike trailer. I would be very wary using the detour route of Laurier (particularly Nicholas-Waller) with a bike trailer.

rocketphish
May 11, 2016, 4:56 PM
Bike corral moves to MacLaren
A 12-spot bike rack will try its luck at MacLaren and Bank streets this summer, after two summers of poor performance in other neighbourhoods.

By: Emma Jackson Metro Published on Tue May 10 2016

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2016/5/10/bike.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

The city’s wayward bike corral is on the move again.

Staff installed the temporary 12-spot bike rack in a street parking spot on MacLaren Street near Bank Street on Tuesday afternoon.

It’s a first for Centretown; two other summer corrals have stayed in Hintonburg and the Glebe since the pilot launched in 2014.

But the third corral hasn’t found its rightful home. It was yanked out of Wellington West in 2014 after business owners complained it was limiting short-term parking in front of their shops.

It then spent 2015 at the corner of Dalhousie and St. Patrick streets, but it wasn’t well used.

Now, Coun. Catherine McKenney hopes it can encourage cyclists to visit the Bank Street corridor.

“The Bank Street BIA and the businesses it represents recognize that more and more people are coming to their businesses by bike,” McKenney said. “It is an opportunity to brand yourself as more of a cycling destination.”

Reaction from nearby businesses was mixed.

Rami Aroosi, owner of Foster’s bike shop, was indifferent to the removal of a street parking spot.

“I don’t think parking is an issue down here,” said Aroosi.

But Nikki Menzies, a day supervisor at Connor’s Gaelic Pub on Bank Street, said her customers would probably prefer street parking over bike parking. If they’re not coming by foot, they’re driving into the neighbourhood from another area, she said.

“We sometimes get complaints that street parking is full … especially since there’s no parking on Bank Street during certain hours,” Menzies said.

McKenney said she understands that business owners have concerns, but pointed out the corrals can support 12 or 15 customers rather than the one or two who might come by car.

Plus, there’s no room to create more traditional parking.

“We have to find different ways to get people onto the street,” McKenney said.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016/05/10/bike-corral-moves-to-maclaren.html

eltodesukane
May 19, 2016, 1:10 PM
They should widen the tunnel under Hog’s Back Road, between Mooney’s Bay and Hog’s Back.
It is dangerous. It is much too narrow for bicycles and pedestrians all going both way at once.
Those two parks would be better connected with a much wider tunnel.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.371308,-75.6956622,125m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&hl=en

Also, a pedestrian bridge across Rideau River to University Dr. should be a priority.
(between Vincent Massey Park and Carleton University)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3820009,-75.6950906,191m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&hl=en

TransitZilla
May 19, 2016, 2:48 PM
They should widen the tunnel under Hog’s Back Road, between Mooney’s Bay and Hog’s Back.
It is dangerous. It is much too narrow for bicycles and pedestrians all going both way at once.
Those two parks would be better connected with a much wider tunnel.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.371308,-75.6956622,125m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&hl=en

Also, a pedestrian bridge across Rideau River to University Dr. should be a priority.
(between Vincent Massey Park and Carleton University)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3820009,-75.6950906,191m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&hl=en

I've never had an issue with the tunnel, but I'll give you a "HEAR HEAR" to the idea of a pedestrian bridge between Carleton and Vincent Massey. If the Sawmill Creek pathway could be extended along the O-Train from Confederation station to Carleton university, this would be pretty ideal.

zzptichka
May 19, 2016, 2:58 PM
I've never had an issue with the tunnel, but I'll give you a "HEAR HEAR" to the idea of a pedestrian bridge between Carleton and Vincent Massey. If the Sawmill Creek pathway could be extended along the O-Train from Confederation station to Carleton university, this would be pretty ideal.

Yes, I find it incredibly stupid that Sawmill creek pathway just stops at Heron and there is no way out other than squeezing past the cars. With all the underpasses already in place.
Such a waste.
Unfortunately it's not in the city cycling plan.
http://i.imgur.com/C00icuK.png

TransitZilla
May 19, 2016, 4:05 PM
Yes, I find it incredibly stupid that Sawmill creek pathway just stops at Heron and there is no way out other than squeezing past the cars. With all the underpasses already in place.
Such a waste.
Unfortunately it's not in the city cycling plan.
http://i.imgur.com/C00icuK.png

There is a plan to build a pathway from the Brookfield roundabout to Hog's Back to connect with the pathway system there. But there are other opportunities for improvement for sure!

Kitchissippi
May 24, 2016, 11:25 PM
The MUP/boardwalk along Pointe Gatineau is starting to look really good. Only one last bit of paving and the aesthetic landscaping left. This could end up being the nicest part of Gatineau, and one of the most interesting cycling destinations in the capital in a few years if they develop more restaurants and shops on the street.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7319/27159775461_62a862ea76_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7413/27159776321_b921d2f8c7_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7393/27159775861_1c846c8040_b.jpg

rocketphish
Jun 20, 2016, 5:17 PM
'Ugly' U.S. Embassy barriers coming down for Ottawa bike lane
When it opens in the spring of 2017, the one-kilometre bi-directional lane will connect existing downtown lanes.

By: Lucy Scholey Metro Published on Fri Jun 17 2016

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2016/6/17/mackenzie.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Bruce Heyman wanted to tear down the post-9/11 stark concrete barriers outside the American embassy in Ottawa.

So the U.S. ambassador to Canada travelled to Washington with recent pictures of the building. Just before he was to make his pitch, he spotted an older photo of the embassy hanging on the wall, pre-barriers.

“I asked the person who was guiding us in, ‘Would you take this off the wall for me and take this in with us?’” he said.

Faced with the visuals, the bureau that oversees American embassies agreed with Heyman’s pitch.

Almost 15 years after the concrete barriers went up on Mackenzie Ave., construction crews are tearing them down and replacing them with security bollards and a bike lane.

“We never thought we’d see the day when we could get rid of these ugly jersey barriers,” said Mayor Jim Watson, during a construction groundbreaking on Friday.

In a unique arrangement, the city, the province, the National Capital Commission, and the Embassy of the United States are splitting the costs of the $5.6-million route.

When it opens in the spring of 2017, the one-kilometre bi-directional lane will connect the existing lanes on Sussex Dr., St. Patrick St. and the Alexandra Bridge to Wellington and Rideau Sts.

The concrete barriers went up as a security measure post-9/11, but Heyman said they are no longer needed thanks to new technology.

“Symbols mean everything, but I think in this particular case, the symbol of this reminds people of 9/11, the difficulties, and I think we always have to look ahead.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016/06/17/us-embassy-barriers-torn-down-for-bike-lane.html

rocketphish
Jun 29, 2016, 5:10 PM
O'Connor St. Bikeway expected to be ready in the fall

Ottawa East News, Jun 27, 2016

Downtown cyclists can cross another needed cycling lane off their list this fall.

Construction is well under way on O’Connor Street to create the O’Connor Street Bikeway.

The work began on O’Connor between Laurier and Fifth avenues at the end of June and is expected to be complete in the fall. According to the city, there are two constructions crews working on the cycling infrastructure improvements, with one crew working on the north end of the street, near Laurier Avenue and a second crew starting on the south end, near Isabella Street, working south.

Lane reductions will be in place during off-peak hours along the street.

Pedestrian access will be maintained with temporary pathways put in place as well as detour signs. Businesses will remain open.

The new 1.7 km north-south bikeway is expected to link to the existing cycling network and future extensions. The route will take advantage of the existing roadway and will include the following elements:

Laurier to Pretoria — A separated bi-directional bikeway on the east side of the roadway, in the area where O’Connor is a one-way street.
Pretoria to Patterson — Painted bike lanes on both sides of the roadway, buffered on the east side north of Strathcona, where O’Connor is a one-way street.
Patterson to Monkland — A northbound shared-use lane will be created and a southbound painted bike lane will be added to the west side of the roadway.
Monkland to Glebe — Painted bike lanes will be on both sides of the roadway, with the exception of an existing Diplomatic Loading Zone south of Monkland on O’Connor.
Glebe to First — A southbound bike lane will be painted on the west side of the roadway and a northbound shared-use lane will be created.
First to Fifth — There will be shared use lanes for four blocks.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/6742155-o-connor-st-bikeway-expected-to-be-ready-in-the-fall/

rocketphish
Jul 4, 2016, 11:51 PM
Booth Street is getting dangerous bike design, by design

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 4, 2016 | Last Updated: July 4, 2016 5:14 PM EDT

http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2016/06/the-honourable-amarjeet-sohi-minister-of-infrastructure-and.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all&w=750

The city has known for years that its plans for the new Booth Street bridge will endanger cyclists and pedestrians alike.

The big new bridge is part of the transit station at LeBreton Flats, which is being rebuilt for the 2018 opening of the light-rail system. Unveiling the final design a couple of weeks ago, the city showed off drawings that included a Booth Street bridge with no bike lanes, let alone separate bike tracks, which Ottawa’s policy on safe streets would ordinarily oblige it to build.

Couldn’t do it, transportation planning manager Vivi Chi told Postmedia’s Matthew Pearson afterward. Too many transit users, plus the fact Booth Street is a major truck route, made it impossible.

Back in 2013, according to internal documents, the city’s transportation planners worked up rough plans for both lanes and tracks. They found that tracks running behind the bus shelters and platforms on either side of the road, between them and the Booth Street sidewalks, seemed pretty doable.

The bike tracks would be a “high-quality cycling facility which will attract cyclists,” the analysis says. They would bring more riders to the LRT station and link up well with other bike routes.

On the down side, transit users would have to cross the tracks to transfer between the buses above and the trains below. Eventually hundreds will do that at rush hours.

That’s a real concern and not to be dismissed. And yet the planners figured they could deal with it with marked crossings and design tricks like a little curve in the track to slow cyclists down. At worst, a barrier could channel people to particular spots where even the most aggressive cyclists would have to yield.

“The experience from other cities shows that cycling-pedestrian conflicts are infrequent, they can be relatively easily managed, and serious injuries are very rare,” the assessment said. Also, the busiest times for transfers would be different from the busiest times for biking.

OC Transpo was not going for it.

“Nowhere else in our system do we accommodate cycling travel through our stations,” the agency put in. (Well, Bayview and Confederation O-Train stations have multi-use paths running right through them. Numerous stations have their main entrances on such paths, too.)

Cyclists and pedestrians will “weave among themselves,” slowing everybody down. “The avid cyclists will be frustrated with pedestrian delays and go back to riding with mixed traffic. However, no safe accommodations (will) have been made,” OC Transpo said.

The transit agency cited a 2009 study from bike-friendly Copenhagen that found a 20-fold increase in collisions between bus passengers and cyclists after new bike tracks went in. But Copenhagen has places where passengers alight from buses directly onto bike tracks, which was never on the table here, and many others where bike tracks cut between shelters and very narrow islands where the buses pull up.

Here’s the kicker.

The planners said the main advantage of the no-track version of the plan is that it “does not have-cycling/pedestrian conflicts at the bus station (if cyclists stay away from the sidewalk).”

But the city knows they won’t stay away from the sidewalk. Even if it had a bike lane, which it won’t, Booth Street would have “low cycling safety performance” because of “multiple conflict points between cyclists and buses” and “multiple conflict points between cars/trucks and cyclists.”

This is plannerspeak for “the bridge will be dangerous” and “cyclists will die.”

“The cycling-unfriendly environment will result in sidewalk cycling,” the planners wrote. The no-track version “accommodates the one-per-cent strong and fearless but does not accommodate 50 to 70 per cent of the population that is interested in cycling but avoids it due to safety concerns.”

So yes, let’s do that. Let’s create precisely the situation we’re claiming we want to avoid, people getting in each other’s way on the street and the sidewalk both. From time to time, someone’ll die.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney, who represents LeBreton Flats and lives right nearby, was furious.

“We’re designing the road so that people will drive fast,” she said. “It’s not ideal to set it up so that we’re going to have cyclists out there, too.”

If we narrowed the bridge lanes just a little there’d be plenty of room for everything, she believes, and the city would be following its own principles for designing safe streets.

“We have to change our priorities at the city,” McKenney said. “It’s not right for us to be pitting transit users and pedestrians against cyclists.”

dreevely@postmedia.com
twitter.com/davidreevely

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/reevely-booth-street-is-getting-dangerous-bike-design-by-design

zzptichka
Jul 5, 2016, 3:50 AM
Posted it in the comments and leaving it here.
If city planners think people won't bike on Booth they are delusional. They will still ride there but most of them will choose to do it illegally on sidewalks. And hard to blame them since Booth will be a major truck and bus route and they just don't want to get killed.
The current plan is bad for everyone:
- for pedestrians; they will have to dodge inevitable scofflaw cyclists on sidewalks
- for drivers; they will have to watch out for bikes, change lanes and sometimes single-file behind slow-moving bicycle in the absense of bike lanes.
- for cyclists; it's incredibly stressful and sometimes painful to share busy road with trucks, buses and speeding cars.
On the other hand, adding bike lanes will benefit everyone. Do it.

Buggys
Jul 5, 2016, 7:53 PM
Ya'd think if they're building a new bridge, that they'd make space for everyone, including bike lanes.... That is, if common sense still exists.

rocketphish
Jul 26, 2016, 3:34 AM
The city's plan to make a mess of the O-Train bike path

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 25, 2016 | Last Updated: July 25, 2016 9:52 PM EDT

The city and its light-rail contractor had to be stopped from cutting one of Ottawa’s showpiece bike routes.

The path runs from the Ottawa River to Carling Avenue, parallel to Preston Street, and it’s one of Ottawa’s bike triumphs. In the last four years, we spent several million dollars upgrading it from the muddy, bumpy track it used to be, adding safe crossings of the east-west roads and even separate tracks for cyclists and pedestrians in busy spots.

You can get to O-Train stations, to the Plant Recreation Centre on Somerset Street, to City Centre, to just about anywhere on Preston, and to the heavy-duty paths along the river, Prince of Wales Drive and the Rideau Canal, all without braving a busy street. The Trillium multi-use pathway, as it’s called, is a great case of fixing one of the missing links that are such a problem with Ottawa’s bike network.

Near the north end, the pathway runs through the Bayview O-Train station underneath Albert Street and the Transitway. That’s where the problem is.

Bayview station is being turned into a light-rail hub. It’s already the north end of the O-Train line and will be a transfer point for passengers on the east-west LRT starting in 2018. The path goes through an area that’s supposed to become a “fare-paid zone,” like a TTC or Métro station, which means blocking access to the station from all but a few controlled points. You certainly won’t be able to ride a bike through it, or stroll through on your way somewhere else.

Somehow the path has to go under or over the tracks. Under — where the path goes now — is impossible if a new station takes up all the space.

So an initial plan went with over. That meant a climb of at least 30 feet, maybe more, which required a huge veer off to one side to make the slope manageable, plus some kind of overpass arrangement. Officially, there’d be a path. Practically speaking, it would break the link we just spent $4 million improving. People who saw that draft flipped out.

Coun. Jeff Leiper’s ward, Kitchissippi, is just on the other side of the O-Train tracks and many of his constituents use the path. Temporary detours around the current construction generate enough complaints, he said — a permanent detour that would be much worse is “obviously completely unacceptable. … We have to preserve that straight north-south shot as much as possible.”

“The City is currently working with the contractor, Rideau Transit Group, to design an accessible routing for pedestrians and cyclists around the future Bayview station,” acknowledged Steve Cripps, the head of the city’s rail office, in an email relayed through the city’s communications department. “Work is still ongoing and plans will be presented once the work has been finalized.”

Rideau Transit Group’s job is to build a rail line. Sticking up for things that are not the line is the city’s job, and as we’ve seen the city isn’t very good at that.

The city botched its plans for the Booth Street bridge at the next rail station east in a similar set of circumstances. Faced with the prospect of passengers transferring from east-west trains to north-south buses having to cross a bike track, the city decided it was best not to build one along Booth — even though its own analysis showed biking on the road will be dangerous and many cyclists will choose to ride on the sidewalk instead.

“This isn’t an expensive problem to fix, if you do it before you start laying pavement down,” said Michael Powell, the president of the Dalhousie Community Association, which covers Bayview. However many people might ride bicycles to the station, many more will just want to get past.

“We want to make sure the path’s continuous. That’s a priority,” Powell said.

It’s further complicated, said Leiper, by plans for a tower complex immediately to the south, including partly over the O-Train line. Somehow all these things have to work together — and soon, because they’re getting going on the station now.

The deeper lesson, from both the Booth Street and Bayview messes, is that the rail designers need to be reminded regularly that a train line isn’t the only thing they’re building.

dreevely@postmedia.com
twitter.com/davidreevely

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/reevely-the-citys-plan-to-make-a-mess-of-the-o-train-bike-path

capital_urbanite
Jul 26, 2016, 6:47 PM
The city's plan to make a mess of the O-Train bike path

I'm confused. Can anyone post a diagram? I was under the impression that the POP area will be on the west side of the Trillium line with a MUP on the East side going underneath the Confederation Line.

1overcosc
Jul 27, 2016, 12:48 AM
They definitely need to remove the cycling routes from the station area... the fact that cyclists literally have to bike through the platform, and the fact that the accessway between the platform and the eastbound Transitway stop is shared with cyclists is a huge pain in the ass for both transit users and cyclists.

silvergate
Jul 27, 2016, 9:31 PM
They definitely need to remove the cycling routes from the station area... the fact that cyclists literally have to bike through the platform, and the fact that the accessway between the platform and the eastbound Transitway stop is shared with cyclists is a huge pain in the ass for both transit users and cyclists.

Once the actual station is going on, maybe they could look into some kind of tunnel beneath it for pedestrian/cyclist access across

roger1818
Jul 28, 2016, 4:24 PM
Once the actual station is going on, maybe they could look into some kind of tunnel beneath it for pedestrian/cyclist access across

Another option would be to build an overpass over the Trillium line between Summerset and Albert (much easier than trying to build over the Confederation line). It looks like there is plenty of room to have the path run west of the station. North of the station, the Trillium line ends, so it could easily re-connect to the existing path. This would have the added benefit of allowing an easy connection to Tom Brown Arena and the rest of Hintonburg. The existing spurs east of the Trillium line could be used for station access.

eltodesukane
Jul 28, 2016, 10:10 PM
Where should I go to buy a bike in Ottawa?
(not a race bike, just a bike for casual city riding)
I want a cheap bike, but quality not too bad.
I tried WalMart, but choice is too limited.
Any suggestion?

Acajack
Jul 29, 2016, 3:09 AM
Any suggestion?

If you don't mind crossing the river, Sport Échange Outaouais near the casino has some pretty good deals. I bought a Marin bike for about 400 bucks there a few years ago. Look up their website. I think they have their prices on it.

Kitchissippi
Jul 29, 2016, 3:59 AM
Any suggestion?

Bushtukah has a wide range at different price points.

eemy
Jul 29, 2016, 9:48 AM
I always advocate going through your local bike shop. Decent starter bikes can be had for around $500, and will be reliable brands with good quality components. Bikes from big box stores or chain retailers are typically put together by staff who have no experience or training on how to do it properly and the support after purchase is next to none-existent. A good LBS will also have excellent service and be an invaluable resource down the road. I regularly pop in to mine to get minor repairs or modifications done - they'll typically take care of it on the spot, often at no charge, or minimal charge. Try finding that at Walmart or even your average sporting goods store. Most reputable manufacturers and stores will also cover the bike with some sort of warranty for the first year. This is definitely worthwhile as you'll uncover issues with the bike well within that timeframe if you cycle with any regularity.

roger1818
Jul 29, 2016, 2:29 PM
I always advocate going through your local bike shop. Decent starter bikes can be had for around $500, and will be reliable brands with good quality components. Bikes from big box stores or chain retailers are typically put together by staff who have no experience or training on how to do it properly and the support after purchase is next to none-existent. A good LBS will also have excellent service and be an invaluable resource down the road. I regularly pop in to mine to get minor repairs or modifications done - they'll typically take care of it on the spot, often at no charge, or minimal charge. Try finding that at Walmart or even your average sporting goods store. Most reputable manufacturers and stores will also cover the bike with some sort of warranty for the first year. This is definitely worthwhile as you'll uncover issues with the bike well within that timeframe if you cycle with any regularity.

I totally agree! I have seen many a horror story bike from big box stores where there was so much damage from incorrect assembly that it wasn't worth even trying to fix. Also, they will sometimes use quality components you can easily see, but cheep out on the components you can't. A LBS can usually tell you the make and model of every single component in the bikes they sell.

To save money you can wait for the end of season sales. The selection may not be as good, but deals can be had since the stores don't want to carry inventory over the winter. Regarding the LBS warranty, many will include a free tune-up within the first year to correct anything that might get shifted with use. Certainly a good reason to give one close to your home extra consideration.

As for a recommendation for a LBS, I will give Kunstadt Sports a shout-out. In addition to major brands, they also put together store brand bikes using a decent frame and good quality components. They may not be high end, but they make excellent starter bikes and usually cost a little less then the name brands. I've bought them before and have been very impressed.

rocketphish
Aug 13, 2016, 4:30 PM
Transportation head finding solution for Booth Street bridge after cyclist concerns

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 12, 2016 | Last Updated: August 12, 2016 5:50 PM EDT

The city’s transportation head has assembled a team to find a design solution for the Booth Street bridge.

John Manconi, the general manager of OC Transpo, assumed oversight of transportation planning after the recent management shakeup at city hall. Manconi said he has briefed Mayor Jim Watson and transportation committee chair Keith Egli on the Booth Street bridge.

“The transportation committee chair and mayor have encouraged us to find a solution that responds to the needs of all users of this corridor,” Manconi said in an email.

To this point, the bridge design has two vehicular lanes in each direction and no bike lanes or cycle tracks, which is a problem for a city trying to boost cycling infrastructure and connect it to future LRT stations.

The Pimisi LRT station will be built under the Booth Street bridge and at one time the city was considering installing the cycling infrastructure to bring more riders to LRT. OC Transpo was afraid of conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians, since the bridge will be a bus transfer point for LRT passengers. Plus, the bridge is a heavily used commuter route frequented by trucks.

If the city finds a better design for the bridge, it likely won’t be implemented in time for the bridge opening, which frustrates Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney. She’s distressed the current design doesn’t include safe bike infrastructure, a point she reiterated in a blog post on her website Friday.

Bridge construction is nearing completion, but there is no opening date set.

The developer of a major mixed-use development along the Ottawa River has also raised concerns about the lack of bike infrastructure planned for the bridge, which will also provide access one day to the redeveloped LeBreton Flats.

Manconi said his team will come up with design options, but nothing has been finalized.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/transportation-boss-finding-solution-for-booth-street-bridge-after-cyclist-concerns

rocketphish
Aug 17, 2016, 11:45 AM
Two new bike repair stands roll into Vanier
Marier and Beechwood self-service stations free for cyclists

Ottawa East News
By Michelle Nash Baker

http://media.zuza.com/7/a/7a73f1e2-ea2e-481d-b468-56a7a384efd1/DSC_0090___Content.jpg

There is a new reason to stop at Marier Avenue and Montreal Road.

At the corner of the street sits a new bicycle repair stand. The free stand offers cyclists the chance to give their bike a quick tune-up on the go.

It is one of 11 stations up and running in the city. Other locations include at city hall, in the Glebe at the Glebe Parking Garage, 170 Second Ave. and in Overbrook at the St. Laurent Branch library.

The Marier Avenue location, said Safer Roads Ottawa Rob Wilkinson, is a great way of taking a hot spot for crime and turning it into a positive stop for residents.

“It’s bringing more people to the corner, and offers a positive use for that corner,” Wilkinson said.

The other location in Vanier of a bicycle repair station is on Beechwood Avenue at Beechwood Fire Station 57.

The repair stations cost around $2,000 each to install and the first one, at city hall, officially opened for use last year.

“We are really happy to have finally gotten more of them rolled out,” Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson said the goal is to have 20 more stations across the city in operation by the end of the year.

Partnering with Ottawa Public Health, Safer Roads Ottawa has installed five at Ottawa Public Library branches.

Wilkinson said he is constantly looking for new partners to help install more stations, adding cyclists in the city have either been contacting Safer Roads Ottawa directly or contacting their local councillors to request repair stations.

When Wilkinson gets a request, he reviews desired locations and tries to connect with either a private or public partner.

Wilkinson said the Marier Avenue and Montreal Road location in Vanier was chosen with the help of the Vanier Community Service Centre. In the past the site has been used to celebrate the neighbourhood’s biking enthusiasts at Vanier Velo Fest.

Wilkinson said the repair stands help people to regularly maintain their bikes for the road.

For cyclists, the self-service repair stations offer a chance to pump up their tires and tighten any loose screws while the bike stays firmly in place on a stand.

Tools at the stand include:

Philips and stand screwdrivers
Two steel core tire levers
Head set/peddle wrench
Two cone wrenches (8/10 mm 9/11 mm)
Torx T-25
Hex key set

The air pump includes heads to fill both Presta and Schrader valves. Information on how to use the repair station and tools can be found at Ottawa.ca/bikerepair.

Wilkinson said residents can send an email to sro@ottawa.ca to suggest other repair sites.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/6811548-two-new-bike-repair-stands-roll-into-vanier/

HighwayStar
Aug 17, 2016, 2:18 PM
Cool.... can someone point to a list of where all 11 are?

Might have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be a list on the City website...

rocketphish
Aug 17, 2016, 5:24 PM
I think that this is a great idea... but the cynic in me wonders how long it will be before the tools just "disappear".

roger1818
Aug 17, 2016, 7:14 PM
Cool.... can someone point to a list of where all 11 are?

Might have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be a list on the City website...

They are listed in the referenced article in the OP. To save you clicking the link, they are:

Cumberland Branch, Ottawa Public Library 1599 Tenth Line Rd.
Greenboro Branch, Ottawa Public Library 363 Lorry Greenberg Dr.
St. Laurent Branch, Ottawa Public Library 515 Cote St.
Ruth E. Dickinson Branch, Ottawa Public Library, 100 Malvern Dr.
Nepean Centrepointe, Ottawa Public Library, 101 Centrepointe Dr.
Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Ave.
Beechwood Fire Station 57, 220 Beechwood Ave.
Champions Stadium, 300 Coventry Rd.
Centre Francophone de Vanier, 270 Marier Ave.
Glebe Parking Garage, 170 Second Ave.
Bronson and Slater, 422 Slater St.

HighwayStar
Aug 17, 2016, 7:27 PM
They are listed in the referenced article in the OP. To save you clicking the link, they are:

Ah... thanks... they are actually a "sidebar" to the article. I thought the article was reproduced in it's entirety and the link was there for "credit"... so didn't occur to check that out...

I'll know better next time ;)

Buggys
Aug 18, 2016, 2:47 AM
There's also one on the East platform of Baseline Station.

rocketphish
Aug 19, 2016, 4:48 PM
Pedestrian, cycling tunnel at University of Ottawa reopens Monday

Published on: August 19, 2016 | Last Updated: August 19, 2016 12:33 PM EDT

A popular pedestrian and cycling tunnel that connects Sandy Hill and the University of Ottawa with Centretown and other points west of the Rideau Canal will reopen Monday.

The tunnel, which passes under Nicholas Street and the Transitway between the university and Colonel By Drive, was closed in early May so crews could tear down the former Campus station and begin building the new uOttawa light-rail station.

The city had committed to reopening the tunnel before students return to classes in September.

The area around it is still under construction, but the city said Friday the passageway is now safe for people to use.

When the LRT station is complete and the Confederation line is open in 2018, the pedestrian tunnel will be integrated into the station concourse level, creating a more welcoming space, the city says. The lower entrance to the station will connect to the tunnel, the University of Ottawa plaza and Colonel By Drive.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/pedestrian-cycling-tunnel-at-university-of-ottawa-reopens-monday

MarkR
Aug 19, 2016, 5:24 PM
Two new bike repair stands roll into Vanier
Marier and Beechwood self-service stations free for cyclists

Ottawa East News
By Michelle Nash Baker

http://media.zuza.com/7/a/7a73f1e2-ea2e-481d-b468-56a7a384efd1/DSC_0090___Content.jpg

There is a new reason to stop at Marier Avenue and Montreal Road.

At the corner of the street sits a new bicycle repair stand. The free stand offers cyclists the chance to give their bike a quick tune-up on the go.

It is one of 11 stations up and running in the city. Other locations include at city hall, in the Glebe at the Glebe Parking Garage, 170 Second Ave. and in Overbrook at the St. Laurent Branch library.

The Marier Avenue location, said Safer Roads Ottawa Rob Wilkinson, is a great way of taking a hot spot for crime and turning it into a positive stop for residents.

“It’s bringing more people to the corner, and offers a positive use for that corner,” Wilkinson said.

The other location in Vanier of a bicycle repair station is on Beechwood Avenue at Beechwood Fire Station 57.

The repair stations cost around $2,000 each to install and the first one, at city hall, officially opened for use last year.

“We are really happy to have finally gotten more of them rolled out,” Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson said the goal is to have 20 more stations across the city in operation by the end of the year.

Partnering with Ottawa Public Health, Safer Roads Ottawa has installed five at Ottawa Public Library branches.

Wilkinson said he is constantly looking for new partners to help install more stations, adding cyclists in the city have either been contacting Safer Roads Ottawa directly or contacting their local councillors to request repair stations.

When Wilkinson gets a request, he reviews desired locations and tries to connect with either a private or public partner.

Wilkinson said the Marier Avenue and Montreal Road location in Vanier was chosen with the help of the Vanier Community Service Centre. In the past the site has been used to celebrate the neighbourhood’s biking enthusiasts at Vanier Velo Fest.

Wilkinson said the repair stands help people to regularly maintain their bikes for the road.

For cyclists, the self-service repair stations offer a chance to pump up their tires and tighten any loose screws while the bike stays firmly in place on a stand.

Tools at the stand include:

Philips and stand screwdrivers
Two steel core tire levers
Head set/peddle wrench
Two cone wrenches (8/10 mm 9/11 mm)
Torx T-25
Hex key set

The air pump includes heads to fill both Presta and Schrader valves. Information on how to use the repair station and tools can be found at Ottawa.ca/bikerepair.

Wilkinson said residents can send an email to sro@ottawa.ca to suggest other repair sites.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/6811548-two-new-bike-repair-stands-roll-into-vanier/

Does anyone know why the pump hoses are only a foot long? You have to get your bike right up against the thing or it won't reach.

eltodesukane
Aug 20, 2016, 2:57 PM
Transitway bridge to University of Ottawa
Construction start: 2017
Construction completion: Fall 2017
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/transportation/rideau-river-western-pathway-overview
http://i63.tinypic.com/ehhff9.png
http://i66.tinypic.com/2qk5rah.png

waterloowarrior
Aug 23, 2016, 2:23 PM
Millions of dollars in federal funding from the latest federal provincial funding announcement
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/08/23/canada-and-ontario-sign-agreement-public-transit-infrastructure-funding

Booth Street Bike Track from Sir John A MacDonald to Albert
Multi-Use Pathway (Michael St. to St-Laurent)
Bicycle shelters at Transitway stations to encourage multimodal travel
Enclosed bicycle parking areas at Transitway stations to encourage multimodal travel
Cost sharing for improvements of cycling and pedestrian links at MTO overpasses
Rideau River Crossing - Confederation Heights to Carleton University - pedestrian/cycling
Rideau River Crossing - Bank at Riverside (near Billings Bridge), pedestrian/cycling
Rural cycling routes (misc locations)
Heron Road (Data Centre/Heron Station to Bank), EB and WB bike tracks
Heron Rd (Colbert Pathway to east of Jefferson)-EB bike tracks only
Richmond Rd - south side sidewalk reconstruction around Croydon for cycle track
Kanata North cycle link (Carling at March Rd)
Kanata North cycle link (Herzberg at March Rd)
Trillium Pathway extension phase 3 (Carling to Dows Lake)
Hunt Club Cycling Links (Riverside to Paul Benoit)
Queen Elizabeth Drive - Crossings at Commissioner's Park and at Queen Elizabeth Place - pedestrian/cycling
Rideau River Pathway - lighting and link through park
New sidewalk links to improve connections with public transit
McArthur Street Bike Lane
Trans Orleans Pathway alignment modification
Cardinal Creek Park 18A multiuse pathway
Manotick – Multi-Use Pathway between Main St and River rd and addition of MUP to two bridges
Multi-Use Pathway Renewal (misc locations)
Rideau Canal Crossing (Fifth to Clegg)

McC
Aug 23, 2016, 2:45 PM
The amounts seem pretty small for these; are we just talking planning and design work? how much does hanging a cantilever off an existing bridge even cost?

Ottawa

Rideau River Crossing - Confederation Heights to Carleton University - pedestrian/cycling

$775,000

April 1, 2016

Ottawa

Rideau River Crossing - Bank at Riverside (near Billings Bridge), pedestrian/cycling

$1,025,000

April 1, 2016

I have no concept of how much it costs the city to build a bit of bike path, so is this construction or just design for such a short segment?

Ottawa

Trillium Pathway extension phase 3 (Carling to Dows Lake)

$275,000

April 1, 2016

This one is quite vague, is there still a missing link through Brantwood Park?

Ottawa

Rideau River Pathway - lighting and link through park

$625,000

April 1, 2016

Kitchissippi
Aug 23, 2016, 3:58 PM
The amounts seem pretty small for these; are we just talking planning and design work? how much does hanging a cantilever off an existing bridge even cost?

I have no concept of how much it costs the city to build a bit of bike path, so is this construction or just design for such a short segment?

Since the amounts quoted were only for the Federal contribution, wouldn't the city and province be pitching in their thirds of the share? Multiplying those amounts by 3 seems more like it.

McC
Aug 23, 2016, 4:16 PM
Since the amounts quoted were only for the Federal contribution, wouldn't the city and province be pitching in their thirds of the share? Multiplying those amounts by 3 seems more like it.
maybe...?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be nice if there was a detailed release.

waterloowarrior
Aug 23, 2016, 4:52 PM
From what I can see the Rideau River crossing at Carleton is in the "ultimate" cycling plan but not the 2014-2031 "affordable" plan. IIRC this was originally supposed to be built as part of the NS LRT project.

1overcosc
Aug 23, 2016, 5:13 PM
Also, a bikeway on Booth Street by the LRT station is now funded.

McC
Aug 23, 2016, 5:28 PM
Except before, the problem wasn't that there was no money, it was that there wasn't enough room. Very curious to see where this goes.

acottawa
Aug 23, 2016, 5:47 PM
What is "Multi-Use Pathway (Michael St. to St-Laurent)"? (those streets are parallel to each other - it could be anywhere from Cyrville to Innes)

TransitZilla
Aug 23, 2016, 6:09 PM
What is "Multi-Use Pathway (Michael St. to St-Laurent)"? (those streets are parallel to each other - it could be anywhere from Cyrville to Innes)

It's along the LRT alignment, to continue an existing MUP that runs from Cyrville. Future plans call for it to be extended east of Cyrville to join the Aviation Pathway at Ogilvie/Aviation.

acottawa
Aug 23, 2016, 6:35 PM
It's along the LRT alignment, to continue an existing MUP that runs from Cyrville. Future plans call for it to be extended east of Cyrville to join the Aviation Pathway at Ogilvie/Aviation.

Interesting, thanks.

eltodesukane
Aug 24, 2016, 1:03 PM
Cycling paths should have room for cyclists and pedestrians.
The current design is inadequate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cyclist-injured-bike-path-ottawa-morning-1.3732568

roger1818
Aug 24, 2016, 3:04 PM
Cycling paths should have room for cyclists and pedestrians.
The current design is inadequate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cyclist-injured-bike-path-ottawa-morning-1.3732568

It really depends on the path. Busy ones need to be wider and optimally separate bicycles and pedestrians.

Regarding the article and ringing your bell when passing a pedestrian, I find it much more effective to shout out, "Passing on your left." Not only does it alert them to my presence, but it tells them what I am about to do. It has the added advantage of being as loud or as quiet as I need it to be based on my surroundings. Plus I don't need to fiddle with something on my handle bar. I still keep a bell on my bike though to be legal.

Kitchissippi
Aug 24, 2016, 4:00 PM

I think by St Laurent they mean St Laurent LRT station. There's mention for a need for a link in this document: http://www.capitalward.ca/PDFs/ToC-2015-2018/Community_Connectivity_Projects.pdf

1overcosc
Aug 24, 2016, 4:47 PM
It really depends on the path. Busy ones need to be wider and optimally separate bicycles and pedestrians.

This is something the city seems to have finally gotten. The new Trillium path has separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists in the section between Beech and Carling where there's walk-up traffic to Carling station.

McC
Aug 24, 2016, 4:48 PM
Love walking and biking the Seawall paths in YVR for this reason.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/south-false-creek-seawall-3.jpg

rocketphish
Aug 24, 2016, 5:32 PM

Nitpick: I assume you mean Stanley Park in Vancouver. YVR is the code for the major international airport in Richmond, BC.

acottawa
Aug 24, 2016, 5:39 PM
Nitpick: I assume you mean Stanley Park in Vancouver. YVR is the code for the major international airport in Richmond, BC.

It has become popular in the twitter era to refer to cities by their airport codes.

McC
Aug 24, 2016, 5:39 PM
well if we're being super precise, in that case it was False Creek in Vancouver that I was referencing, not Stanley Park. Yes I know that YVR is the airport code (or CYVR if you want to be super-duper precise), but it's not uncommon to colloquially refer to Vancouver as YVR. Lot's of folk do the same with YEG for Edmonton. We have a poster here who goes by the clever handle NOWINYOW, which I've always admired. Etc.

rocketphish
Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 PM
It has become popular in the twitter era to refer to cities by their airport codes.

well if we're being super precise, in that case it was False Creek in Vancouver that I was referencing, not Stanley Park. Yes I know that YVR is the airport code (or CYVR if you want to be super-duper precise), but it's not uncommon to colloquially refer to Vancouver as YVR. Lot's of folk do the same with YEG for Edmonton. We have a poster here who goes by the clever handle NOWINYOW, which I've always admired. Etc.

So I should take the popular but imprecise and occasionally incorrect usage of the airport code to mean "When I'm in the region served by the airport with this code" as opposed to "When I'm in the municipality that encompasses the airport with this code"?

YOW: Ottawa vs Ottawa
YEG: Edmonton vs Nisku
YVR: Anywhere in the western Lower Mainland BC vs Richmond

Well, I guess Twitter is all about short and popular, but often imprecise and occasionally incorrect. :)

acottawa
Aug 24, 2016, 11:27 PM
So I should take the popular but imprecise and occasionally incorrect usage of the airport code to mean "When I'm in the region served by the airport with this code" as opposed to "When I'm in the municipality that encompasses the airport with this code"?

YOW: Ottawa vs Ottawa
YEG: Edmonton vs Nisku

Well, I guess Twitter is all about short and popular, but often imprecise and occasionally incorrect. :)

Since hardly any airports are in the municipality for which they are named that is probably a good strategy, even if somewhat imprecise.

roger1818
Aug 25, 2016, 1:14 PM

I would say Greater Vancouver rather than the entire Lower Mainland as there is also:

YXX: Abbotsford

Beedok
Aug 25, 2016, 2:52 PM
So, does anyone have a good bit of infor on the bike way thing they're building along O'Connor?

acottawa
Aug 25, 2016, 2:56 PM
So, does anyone have a good bit of infor on the bike way thing they're building along O'Connor?

The display boards from the open house contain a lot of information.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/transforming-ottawa/open-house-display-boards-7-march-2016

rocketphish
Aug 25, 2016, 5:08 PM
I would say Greater Vancouver rather than the entire Lower Mainland as there is also:

YXX: Abbotsford

Getting even further OT, but...

That depends on your definition of Greater Vancouver, I guess.

I said "western Lower Mainland" for exactly that reason though. Abbotsford International is an airport I frequent with some regularity - so is YCW (Chilliwack), for that matter - and these parts are definitely not Vancouver.

rocketphish
Aug 25, 2016, 5:21 PM

YVR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_International_Airport) is precise enough for IATA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code). You think that the ICAO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization_airport_code) is better? It's no more precise, and it can also be very confusing, as most people learn these codes from baggage tags and departure/arrival boards.

For example, in the case of London's Heathrow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Airport), I'd venture a guess to say that most (non-aviation geek) Twitter users probably know LHR, but not EGLL.

AndyMEng
Aug 25, 2016, 6:44 PM
The display boards from the open house contain a lot of information.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/transforming-ottawa/open-house-display-boards-7-march-2016

Does anyone know if the remainder of O'Connor is going to be repaved? I'm a cyclist, but I'm also an automobile-ist, and I cringe every time I drive down O'Connor. I see that the bike lane is being paved and finished flush with the old-assed asphalt on the rest of the street....

Uhuniau
Aug 25, 2016, 7:34 PM

Regarding the article and ringing your bell when passing a pedestrian, I find it much more effective to shout out, "Passing on your left." Not only does it alert them to my presence, but it tells them what I am about to do. It has the added advantage of being as loud or as quiet as I need it to be based on my surroundings. Plus I don't need to fiddle with something on my handle bar. I still keep a bell on my bike though to be legal.

There's a butter zone for ringing the bell: too far back, and the pedestrian ahead of you won't hear it; too close, and it startles the person (who isn't facing you) and doesn't offer enough time for you to negotiate the pass.

eltodesukane
Aug 26, 2016, 2:27 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/booth-bridge-bike-lane-lrt-fund-1.3735343
"When the new Booth Street bridge connecting Albert Street and the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway opens on Sunday, Sept. 4, it will not include bike lanes — despite the fact that everyone, including Mayor Jim Watson, has acknowledged that omitting some sort of segregated cycling infrastructure was an error.
But by the time the issue came to a head, the Booth bridge was virtually finished. And so come Labour Day weekend, the bridge will be opened as designed and the city will go back to tear some of that work up and add safe-cycling measures by the end of 2018.
The changes will cost up to $2 million.
It really is a lost opportunity in terms of time and money."
"The Booth Street Bridge is another example of poor foresight when it comes to designing parts of the light-rail system.
At some point, the design included cycling lanes, but those plans were nixed."

-- Bad design from the start. "Measure twice, cut once" should be the rule, but clearly it isn't.

AndyZagg
Aug 26, 2016, 3:05 PM
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/south-false-creek-seawall-3.jpg
I just biked the Seawall yesterday for the first time, however it is worth nothing that a large section of it is only one way by bike and has frequent places where you must dismount and walk. I wouldn't want a duplication of it for Ottawa. By my god is it beautiful.

phil235
Sep 1, 2016, 1:54 PM
I went by 15 minutes after it happened. Terrible. It looks like the truck turned right on top of her. No idea who had the right of way.

TransitZilla
Sep 1, 2016, 2:44 PM
I went by 15 minutes after it happened. Terrible. It looks like the truck turned right on top of her. No idea who had the right of way.

There is signage indicating that turning vehicles must yield to cyclists.

I feel sick hearing about this.

McC
Sep 1, 2016, 3:02 PM
and no right turn on the red. Pretty much the only situation I can envision in which the driver wouldn't be in the wrong is if the cyclist was running a yellow/red light while the truck was clearing the intersection. I passed by soon after too, a sickening sight on my daily route. I have a close call with a right hooking-driver (who doesn't see, understand or care about the straight-only green light to start the cycle, the yield-to-cyclists sign, etc.) at least every few days, and sometimes every few blocks on the same trip!

phil235
Sep 1, 2016, 4:21 PM
and no right turn on the red. Pretty much the only situation I can envision in which the driver wouldn't be in the wrong is if the cyclist was running a yellow/red light while the truck was clearing the intersection. I passed by soon after too, a sickening sight on my daily route. I have a close call with a right hooking-driver (who doesn't see, understand or care about the straight-only green light to start the cycle, the yield-to-cyclists sign, etc.) at least every few days, and sometimes every few blocks on the same trip!

Yeah, I think that is the only scenario where it wouldn't be the truck's fault. One guy who said he was a witness said that the light was green.

Hard to know how to handle those intersections - cars regularly creep into the bike lande to turn. I tend to slow right down, but that confuses people following the rules. It sure makes you want to stay the hell away from trucks.

AndyMEng
Sep 1, 2016, 4:51 PM
Yeah, I think that is the only scenario where it wouldn't be the truck's fault. One guy who said he was a witness said that the light was green.

Hard to know how to handle those intersections - cars regularly creep into the bike lande to turn. I tend to slow right down, but that confuses people following the rules. It sure makes you want to stay the hell away from trucks.

As someone who both drives AND bikes down Laurier on a regular basis, I can attest that both situations are not simple.

The bike lanes are consistently blocked with parked delivery vehicles, pedestrians NEVER look before stepping out, the occasional baby stroller in the bike lane, passenger car doors opening, and then the inevitable slam-on-the-gas left hand turns, or creeping right hand turns.

In a car, if you approach the right hand turn on a slight angle, the bike lane is totally in a blind spot and it's impossible to see down the lane to see if someone is coming or not. Couple that with light cycles changing, oncoming traffic, pedestrians in all directions, and its very very stressful to make the turn. In fact, I've been known to just keep driving down Laurier and double-back down Elgin where the street is more open. One time in the rain at O'Connor I looked twice down the bike lane while waiting for pedestrians, only to then attempt the turn and almost got side-swiped by a bike. The cars parked beside the lane hide everything.

On a bike, I constantly ring the bell so that people getting in and out of cars know that I'm there. Lots of people just stand around in the lane, oblivious. I believe there isn't enough bike traffic to alert people that in fact it is a lane of travel. In addition, I always need to have my head on a swivel approaching each intersection because its a mess of one-ways and you must be able to predict which way the traffic will enter your lane. The left-hand-turns are the worst, because if there is a small break in traffic and pedestrians, cars will take the opportunity to pedal-to-the-metal, and I'm far enough away to not see yet close enough to have the opportunity to get run-over.

lrt's friend
Sep 1, 2016, 5:06 PM
I came fairly close to hitting a cyclist yesterday evening. I was turning right at a stop sign. Traffic was heavy and I was waiting for an opening. Cyclist was on the sidewalk going against the traffic flow and drove right past me at full speed just as I was going to pull out. A second or two difference and either I would have hit him or he would have hit me. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Mental note to double check for illegal cyclists on sidewalk.

rocketphish
Sep 1, 2016, 5:10 PM

What if a truck starts a slow turn while there are no bikes in the intersection or bike lane, and then part-way through his turn a bike enters the intersection, doesn't realize the truck is turning and essentially hits the truck. I have no idea who has the right-of-way in this situation.

1overcosc
Sep 1, 2016, 5:14 PM
Some solutions that can increase safety in the immediate term:
-Eliminate on-street parking. There's plenty of off-street options in the area
-At each driveway, extend the concrete barrier over more of the driveway so that the driveway is just wide enough to let cars through, to make it harder for vehicles to block the lane
-In sections that are still just guarded with those flimsy sticks, put proper barriers down

All three of those things should be done before the end of the year.

Going forward, further improvements should be:
-Light cameras at all intersections on Laurier to deter red/yellow running and "slam on the gas" turns
-Widen the curbs at intersections to make for harsher radii for turning vehicles; this forces them to slow down and pay attention instead of just powering through the turn
-This one is a little more high tech but it would be a good thing to try out, maybe get some M.Eng students to do it as a thesis project: put a light on top of the "yield to bikes when turning" sign, and have it flash whenever a cyclist is approaching (have some sort of tech, whether a detection loop or a camera, check for traffic in the bike lane).

McC
Sep 1, 2016, 5:30 PM
What if a truck starts a slow turn while there are no bikes in the intersection or bike lane, and then part-way through his turn a bike enters the intersection, doesn't realize the truck is turning and essentially hits the truck. I have no idea who has the right-of-way in this situation.

good question. Legally/technically, I don't think there is ever a point at which the turning driver would be absolved from having to yield. But in practical terms, there does come a point where a vehicle is clearly intent on completing its turn and the cyclist ought to act defensively/prudently and concede the right of way. Not to suggest that that cyclists always do what they ought in such situations.

McC
Sep 1, 2016, 5:46 PM
As someone who both drives AND bikes down Laurier on a regular basis, I can attest that both situations are not simple.

In a car, if you approach the right hand turn on a slight angle, the bike lane is totally in a blind spot and it's impossible to see down the lane to see if someone is coming or not. Couple that with light cycles changing, oncoming traffic, pedestrians in all directions, and its very very stressful to make the turn. In fact, I've been known to just keep driving down Laurier and double-back down Elgin where the street is more open.

As a rider who has occasionally lost my cool on right-hooking drivers on Laurier, these are helpful reminders. thanks for sharing.

The cars parked beside the lane hide everything.

The line of parked cars and frequently, delivery/courier/mail vans, on the westbound block between Elgin and Metcalfe have led to some of my scariest near misses, as suddenly a taxi turns left into one of the hotel laybys right in front of me. There was no way for them to see me, because I never saw them. Sure, the onus is on the turning driver to approach with caution and yield, but winning that argument is the most Pyrrhic of victories for the straight moving cyclist or pedestrian!

zzptichka
Sep 1, 2016, 6:31 PM
- Ban trucks from Laurier ave.
- Require all city contractors to install side guards on their trucks.

At least 5 cyclists died under trucks in the last few years in Ottawa. It's ridiculous.

McC
Sep 1, 2016, 7:15 PM
Recently on Elgin, I saw a cement truck with a side guard sporting a big "I care about cyclist safety" (or something to that effect) sticker; it made my heart glad.

phil235
Sep 1, 2016, 8:27 PM

The bike lanes are consistently blocked with parked delivery vehicles, pedestrians NEVER look before stepping out, the occasional baby stroller in the bike lane, passenger car doors opening, and then the inevitable slam-on-the-gas left hand turns, or creeping right hand turns.

In a car, if you approach the right hand turn on a slight angle, the bike lane is totally in a blind spot and it's impossible to see down the lane to see if someone is coming or not. Couple that with light cycles changing, oncoming traffic, pedestrians in all directions, and its very very stressful to make the turn. In fact, I've been known to just keep driving down Laurier and double-back down Elgin where the street is more open. One time in the rain at O'Connor I looked twice down the bike lane while waiting for pedestrians, only to then attempt the turn and almost got side-swiped by a bike. The cars parked beside the lane hide everything.

On a bike, I constantly ring the bell so that people getting in and out of cars know that I'm there. Lots of people just stand around in the lane, oblivious. I believe there isn't enough bike traffic to alert people that in fact it is a lane of travel. In addition, I always need to have my head on a swivel approaching each intersection because its a mess of one-ways and you must be able to predict which way the traffic will enter your lane. The left-hand-turns are the worst, because if there is a small break in traffic and pedestrians, cars will take the opportunity to pedal-to-the-metal, and I'm far enough away to not see yet close enough to have the opportunity to get run-over.

I think in the interest of political expediency (preserving parking and traffic flow with turns permitted), the City has definitely compromised the safety of the lanes. Hopefully this incident will spur some improvements. If nothing else, better signage and dedicated traffic lights would be an improvement.

Uhuniau
Sep 1, 2016, 10:16 PM
- Ban trucks from Laurier ave.
- Require all city contractors to install side guards on their trucks.

At least 5 cyclists died under trucks in the last few years in Ottawa. It's ridiculous.

The side-guard thing can't come fast enough.

On Edge
Sep 2, 2016, 8:04 AM
Come on cyclists, slow down and realize that drivers often simply CANNOT SEE YOU as all vehicles have blind spots.

Aylmer
Sep 2, 2016, 11:57 AM
Or perhaps when you're lumbering down the road making an illegal right turn in a multi-tonne vehicle with enough blind spots to mow down a small marching band, you ought to be careful! When someone gets shot, is it the fault of the shooter or is it the fault of the victim for have been so careless as to move into the path of the bullet?

I agree that cyclists can sometimes take risks, but in this case and in so many others, it's a problem of driver innattention. And when you make a mistake with a 5-6 tonne vehicle in a busy city, people die.

roger1818
Sep 2, 2016, 1:32 PM
Come on cyclists, slow down and realize that drivers often simply CANNOT SEE YOU as all vehicles have blind spots.

Yes and 5 or 10 cyclists dying each year due to those blind spots should be perfectly acceptable. :koko:

Seriously though, one thing I don't understand is back when I was involved with the CfSC, there was a movement against bike lanes as they make cyclists less visible and they encourage the dangerous practice of passing on the right. They also create confusion as motorists (and some cyclists) think that bikes should always stay in the bike lane, even when it isn't safe to do so (be it road conditions or wanting to make a turn).

I don't seem to hear those objections anymore and bike lanes are popping up like crazy. It seems like cyclists are now starting to pay the price for this.

phil235
Sep 2, 2016, 2:24 PM
Yes and 5 or 10 cyclists dying each year due to those blind spots should be perfectly acceptable. :koko:

Seriously though, one thing I don't understand is back when I was involved with the CfSC, there was a movement against bike lanes as they make cyclists less visible and they encourage the dangerous practice of passing on the right. They also create confusion as motorists (and some cyclists) think that bikes should always stay in the bike lane, even when it isn't safe to do so (be it road conditions or wanting to make a turn).

I don't seem to hear those objections anymore and bike lanes are popping up like crazy. It seems like cyclists are now starting to pay the price for this.

Except that the number of collisions on Laurier involving bikes is way down since the bike lanes were built.

We can't let one incident determine policy. There were 3 other cyclists hit in the last two weeks who weren't in bike lanes.

zzptichka
Sep 2, 2016, 2:38 PM

Umm no. "Vehicular cycling" movement, what CfSC and cycling (and driving) community as well as transportation planners were pushing 10-20-30 years ago, is very discriminating and can be safely practiced by able-bodied and fit people only.

It's been since proven to be dangerous, discouraging and incompatible in general with urban cycling and CfSC as well as transportation planners now strongly oppose it.