PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Ottawa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

zzptichka
Jun 26, 2017, 4:07 PM
Penalties for leaving a bike outside dock are fairly reasonable at $2, and if you pick up a bike that is outside dock, there's a $1 bounty credited to your trip.

I like this feature a lot and haven't seen it in other cities. It can be frustrating to arrive at your destination and not being able to park your bike because every stall is taken. It makes up for overall lack of Velogo stations somewhat.

dougvdh
Jun 26, 2017, 4:46 PM
I like this feature a lot and haven't seen it in other cities. It can be frustrating to arrive at your destination and not being able to park your bike because every stall is taken. It makes up for overall lack of Velogo stations somewhat.

It's actually even better than that. The docks are in a geofence zone as opposed requiring physical contact. So if there's no docks available, you just lock to the nearest thing you can and you're likely within the geo-fence and will avoid the $2 charge. This is a big bonus at Lansdowne on game days when generally the docks fill very quickly.

In my opinion, the SocialBike (Velogo) platform is much better than Bixi because the hardware is on the bikes instead of the station allowing for much more flexible use.

rocketphish
Jul 17, 2017, 5:15 PM
Don't be this guy...

Dashcam footage shows cyclist hit by car in downtown Ottawa
The collision happened Saturday afternoon on Lyon Street. The cyclist was reportedly not seriously injured and refused transport to hospital.

By: Alex Abdelwahab, Metro
Published on Sun Jul 16 2017

Dashcam footage posted online captured a cyclist getting hit by a car in downtown Ottawa Saturday afternoon.

The video shows the cyclist running a red light at the intersection of Lyon Street and Laurier Avenue West, just after noon.

The cyclist passes only a few metres in front of the car with the dashcam, which is travelling on Lyon Street, before it is struck by a car travelling in the right lane.

The cyclist is knocked to the ground and his bike is thrown several metres in the air, but he can be seen getting back up almost immediately.

The cyclist walked away from the incident with only a sore hip, according to the description of the video on Youtube.

A police officer was stationed in an unmarked car at the corner of the intersection and witnessed the collision, according to the description.

bs8VWWi8I7s

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/07/16/dashcam-footage-shows-cyclist-hit-by-car-in-downtown-ottawa.html

zzptichka
Jul 17, 2017, 5:47 PM
The guy on the bike is an idiot no doubt. Seen it yesterday but only now that I've realized the car changed lanes from behind the dashcam driver and sped up right before intersection because the Brick truck parked in no-parking spot blocking the bike lane and part of the car lane.
So many idiots in one short clip.

HighwayStar
Jul 17, 2017, 6:05 PM
Cyclist was charged:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cyclist-struck-dramatic-video-1.4207758

waterloowarrior
Jul 17, 2017, 9:09 PM
I hope the City and NCC can figure out the Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By/Wellington/Mackenize intersection soon. Northbound and eastbound access is scary for most cyclists. Southbound is somewhat better with the new cycling lanes and bike boxes but still not easy. Turning westbound from Colonel By is intimidating requiring the cyclist to sit in the middle of the intersection during a straight-arrow, then have only 40 metres to change lanes in heavy traffic. This is a prime route for tourists and we need to prioritize these improvements.

Buggys
Jul 17, 2017, 9:17 PM
I hope the Brick truck driver was charged for illegally parking on a bike lane & blocking traffic as well.

rocketphish
Jul 28, 2017, 4:48 PM
Spike in tickets for drivers parked in bike lanes
183 tickets given out so far this year, compared to 91 for all of 2016

By Kimberley Molina, CBC News
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 28, 2017 8:45 AM ET

At the very least it's annoying, and at its most serious it can be life-threatening: Vehicles parked in cycling lanes are problematic and appear to be a growing trend in Ottawa.

The number of drivers charged for blocking bicycle lanes has more than doubled in the first seven months of 2017 compared to all of last year.

As of Wednesday, the city's bylaw officers had handed out 183 tickets to drivers parked in bike lanes.

The total for 2016 was 91.

According to Jerrod Riley, a review officer in the city's bylaw department, there are two main reasons for the jump in charges.

The first is that the city is increasing its focus on cycling safety, so bylaw officers are more cognizant of vehicles illegally parked in the lanes.

As well, the city's cycling network is growing with more lanes opening, especially in the downtown core, said Riley. More lanes provide more places for vehicles to park illegally.

While bylaw does receive calls about offenders, most tickets are handed out by parking enforcement officers who are already out and about on the streets.

There's one street that stands out for problems: The segregated bike lanes on Laurier Avenue between Elgin and Bay streets. Tickets handed out to parked cars on the Laurier cycling lanes accounted for 17 per cent of the total infractions handed out so far this year.

Breaking the city's bylaw comes with a $120 hit to your wallet.

"But that's the smallest consequence," said Riley." Vehicles blocking cycling lanes are not a common issue. But it's a very serious one. It's irresponsible and needlessly endangers the lives of cyclists and it's not something the city will tolerate."

And it's not just private vehicles being caught.

Canada Post announced earlier this week that they would stop their vehicles from parking in bike lanes when their drivers were making deliveries or pickups, in Toronto, after the Crown corporation came under fire in the media.

But there was no indication whether that edict also applied to other cities across the country.

The city said in a statement that bylaws are enforceable for Crown corporations. However, they don't keep track of the type of vehicles they hand out tickets for.

The city is also stepping up focused enforcement campaigns alongside Ottawa police and Safer Roads Ottawa.

During a two-day blitz last week, the city handed out 12 tickets to drivers parking in bicycle or bus lanes in the downtown core.

However, Riley points out that despite the growing number of tickets, it's still a small percentage of the 250,000 traffic and parking violations handed out each year.

Still, the problem shows no sign of ending.

On Twitter and Facebook, several people continue to point out drivers' failure to abide by the city's bylaws.

Tweets show photos of corporate vehicles blocking a bike lane, directly in front of a sign saying not to block the lane.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ticket-bicycle-lanes-ottawa-bylaw-canada-post-1.4224496

rousseau
Aug 7, 2017, 4:18 AM
I have a trip to Ottawa coming up and am planning to do what is apparently a classic ride: Gatineau Parkway up to the Champlain Lookout. I'll be starting out from a hotel at Albert and Metcalfe, and would like to swing around the back of the Parliament buildings before continuing west to the Champlain Bridge.

What's the best or nicest way to get to the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from my hotel? And can you make an easy connection with the Trans-Canada Trail/Ottawa River Pathway from it? On Google Street View it looks complicated and broken up between the Mackenzie King Bridge and the Wellington Street Bridge.

Kitchissippi
Aug 7, 2017, 12:51 PM
I have a trip to Ottawa coming up and am planning to do what is apparently a classic ride: Gatineau Parkway up to the Champlain Lookout. I'll be starting out from a hotel at Albert and Metcalfe, and would like to swing around the back of the Parliament buildings before continuing west to the Champlain Bridge.

What's the best or nicest way to get to the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from my hotel? And can you make an easy connection with the Trans-Canada Trail/Ottawa River Pathway from it? On Google Street View it looks complicated and broken up between the Mackenzie King Bridge and the Wellington Street Bridge.

Best way to get to the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from your hotel would be to take Laurier eastbound, there is a ramp down to the canal before the bridge. The pathway behind Parliament Hill is currently closed from flood damage and will not reopen until next year, otherwise the canal and river pathways are connected. To get to the Ottawa River pathway, I would take Laurier westbound to Bay, and either turn left on Wellington or cut across the Garden of the Provinces and access the pathway at/ beneath the Portage bridge approach.

Check out the new waterfront pathway east of the Gatineau River. It's probably the most urban waterfront in the capital region.

McC
Aug 7, 2017, 12:52 PM
The path behind Parliament Hill was heavily damaged by this spring's flooding, and they're keeping secrets ions of it closed for the season to repair and rebuild it to a higher spec. So unfortunately you won't be able ride from the bottom of the locks to the Champlain Bridge along the River. I would recommend you beak your itinerary in two: go down the canal to check it out and then come straight back up, and then take either Wellington St or Laurier Ave across downtown to Bay St. There you can use the Garden of the Provinces and Territories to get onto the Ottawa River Pathway which takes you straight out to the Champlain Bridge.

McC
Aug 7, 2017, 12:53 PM

Snap!

roger1818
Aug 7, 2017, 3:54 PM
Breaking the city's bylaw comes with a $120 hit to your wallet.

Tweets show photos of corporate vehicles blocking a bike lane, directly in front of a sign saying not to block the lane.

Personally, I would like to see a larger fine for commercial vehicles. $120 is a decent enough fine to discourage the general public, but it is a cost of doing business for a commercial driver. Make it a $5000 fine for commercial vehicles and they will think twice about doing it. Having a sliding scale for repeat offenders would also help (maybe double the fine each time, no maximum).

The other thing they could do is publish the list of commercial vehicles ticketed on a "wall" of shame.

rousseau
Aug 7, 2017, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the tips. Too bad about the path behind Parliament Hill. Oh well, next time!

rousseau
Aug 7, 2017, 5:31 PM
Check out the new waterfront pathway east of the Gatineau River. It's probably the most urban waterfront in the capital region.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.45776,-75.6891414,3a,75y,81.28h,92.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sutSq7fvzxPYGcfCEEFjaEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Acajack
Aug 7, 2017, 5:53 PM
Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.45776,-75.6891414,3a,75y,81.28h,92.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sutSq7fvzxPYGcfCEEFjaEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's most certainly it. Not too far from my place. It's a very nice setup and aménagement and definitely offers great views of Ottawa, but the "urban" aspect of it is still a bit of a work in progress.

I am not sure I'd go there just to see it, but if you look on a map it can be tied into a pretty nice ride that goes around the Lac Leamy area as well as up the Gatineau River for a bit, and then west towards Gatineau Park.

Acajack
Aug 7, 2017, 6:31 PM
There is also a nice path along the north shore of the Ottawa River called the Sentier des Voyageurs. The western stretches of it lead to a turn-off to the urban wedge of Gatineau Park that cuts into the city.

It also sustained some flood damage and unfortunately I am pretty sure that the stretch offering the best views of Ottawa (near the Museum of History) are closed at the moment.

But most of it is definitely open.

rousseau
Aug 7, 2017, 6:34 PM
I really, really love bike paths like these. And La Route Verte in general. I love that they're like these little highways with the broken yellow line down the middle. You can pretend you're in an alternate universe where cars and motorized traffic don't exist.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/rousseau1901/ride_2016-08-31%20routeverte%205_zpsevbbdenv.jpg

This is the bike path between Longueuil and Chambly, but I can see on Googlemaps Streetview that the paths in and around Gatineau are similar. Sometimes I sorta wish I had a commute like this that I could do on a bike instead of working from a home office.

Acajack
Aug 7, 2017, 6:43 PM
I really, really love bike paths like these. And La Route Verte in general. I love that they're like these little highways with the broken yellow line down the middle. You can pretend you're in an alternate universe where cars and motorized traffic don't exist.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/rousseau1901/ride_2016-08-31%20routeverte%205_zpsevbbdenv.jpg

This is the bike path between Longueuil and Chambly, but I can see on Googlemaps Streetview that the paths in and around Gatineau are similar. Sometimes I sorta wish I had a commute like this that I could do on a bike instead of working from a home office.

Yes, this area has tons of paths like this. My commute to my old job was about 10 km with about two thirds on these kinds of paths.

It's pretty good although the network still has many gaps in it.

When the region's bike commuters have been consulted they've actually been prudently critical of the network, as the routes are usually more curvy and scenic than direct and quick.

rousseau
Aug 7, 2017, 7:01 PM
When the region's bike commuters have been consulted they've actually been prudently critical of the network, as the routes are usually more curvy and scenic than direct and quick.
Really? I would have thought that a scenic ride to and from work would be worth more than saving five or ten minutes because a route isn't so direct (if it's really just a matter of five or ten minutes, obviously I don't know what it's actually like to commute by bike there).

I would have thought that, say, taking the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from the southern parts of the Glebe, or parts further south, to a workplace downtown would be totally worth the extra time just for the sheer pleasure of the surroundings and the lack of concern and irritation produced by cycling among motorized vehicles. Granted, I agree that more Amsterdam-style bike lanes right inside the city providing for more direct routes would be a huge bonus, and I also agree that North American cities in general need more proper bike lanes in general, but still...Ottawa-Gatineau looks like it's set up nicer for cycling paths and lanes than Toronto is.

Acajack
Aug 7, 2017, 7:04 PM
Really? I would have thought that a scenic ride to and from work would be worth more than saving five or ten minutes because a route isn't so direct (if it's really just a matter of five or ten minutes, obviously I don't know what it's actually like to commute by bike there).

I would have thought that, say, taking the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from the southern parts of the Glebe, or parts further south, to a workplace downtown would be totally worth the extra time just for the sheer pleasure of the surroundings and the lack of concern and irritation produced by cycling among motorized vehicles. Granted, I agree that more Amsterdam-style bike lanes right inside the city providing for more direct routes would be a huge bonus, and I also agree that North American cities in general need more proper bike lanes in general, but still...Ottawa-Gatineau looks like it's set up nicer for cycling paths and lanes than Toronto is.

First world problems I guess! :)

roger1818
Aug 7, 2017, 7:33 PM

It isn't so much the time as the safety. Blind corners on a multi-use path with pedestrians straddling the entire width, or worse an oncoming cyclist on the wrong side of the path, can make for some hair raising experiences. Experienced cyclists often feel safer on the road than on a multi-use pathway.

Kitchissippi
Aug 8, 2017, 2:44 AM

I wish they would pave the Prescott-Russell trail, parts of it could look like this, and if they properly marketed it as a car-free Ottawa-Montreal intercity route instead of a regional trail, it would get a lot more users as its more direct than the Route verte through Laval. Go big or go home, it's sad the county was thinking of giving up on this trail last year.

I'm actually currently biking my way out to Quebec City. It's been a few years since I've ridden Route verte #1 out to Montebello and beyond, it's really nice how the A-50 has cut down the traffic on the 148 significantly.

dougvdh
Aug 8, 2017, 2:25 PM
I wish they would pave the Prescott-Russell trail, parts of it could look like this . . . (snip)

I'd be cautious about wishing for too much pavement. The northern paved sections of le Petit Train Du Nord are horribly rough (tree roots and sub-base settling) compared to the stone dust sections. Prescott-Russell trail's biggest downfall is the lack of services (or signage to nearby services) along the route. Some small tenting pads would be great too.

roger1818
Aug 8, 2017, 3:39 PM
I'd be cautious about wishing for too much pavement. The northern paved sections of le Petit Train Du Nord are horribly rough (tree roots and sub-base settling) compared to the stone dust sections. Prescott-Russell trail's biggest downfall is the lack of services (or signage to nearby services) along the route. Some small tenting pads would be great too.

I tend to agree. Stone dust is the better option for long, straight paths in remote areas (like on abandoned rail lines). On paths that are heavily used or have lots of bends, asphalt is better (unless, of course, it is a mountain bike trail).

MarkR
Aug 8, 2017, 3:58 PM
I wish they would pave the Prescott-Russell trail, parts of it could look like this, and if they properly marketed it as a car-free Ottawa-Montreal intercity route instead of a regional trail, it would get a lot more users as its more direct than the Route verte through Laval. Go big or go home, it's sad the county was thinking of giving up on this trail last year.

I'm actually currently biking my way out to Quebec City. It's been a few years since I've ridden Route verte #1 out to Montebello and beyond, it's really nice how the A-50 has cut down the traffic on the 148 significantly.

I don't think it'll ever get paved. From what I understand, VIA still owns the right-of-way, and is holding onto it as a future high-speed rail corridor.

rocketphish
Aug 8, 2017, 4:53 PM
Orléans, Cumberland to be linked by new bike, walking paths

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 7, 2017 | Last Updated: August 7, 2017 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Blais leans over the handlebars of his bike and looks to the south, where a crew of construction workers is turning a strip of grass along a hydro corridor in the Avalon subdivision into a new multi-use path.

Joggers, cyclists, in-line skaters, dog walkers and folks out for an evening stroll will soon be able to choose it to get from Innes Road to the southern edge of Ottawa’s urban boundary without stepping foot on a busy arterial road.

The path will also intersect with the new east-west Trans-Orléans multi-use path, a 3.2-kilometre link between Millennium Park and transit station on Trim Road to the commercial hub at Innes and Tenth Line roads.

Elsewhere, the Cumberland Village cycling connection will see paved shoulders added to or extended on several rural roads to create an easier and safer connection between the village and Trim Road.

In all, the work represents nearly $5 million in new recreational paths coming to Blais’s Cumberland ward this year, thanks in part to some federal infrastructure money.

“There has been a pent-up demand for these connections,” the city councillor said.

Even though the emphasis of the new pathways is on recreational use, commuter cyclists could theoretically use them to reach a transit station and take advantage of OC Transpo’s rack-and-roll service or head north to the pathway network along the Ottawa River.

The work currently underway on the Avalon north-south pathway, which Blais admits might yet be given a catchier name, fills a critical missing link. Paved pathways are already in place on either end of this one-kilometre stretch, expected to be complete by the fall.

The new routes will also connect to an established path that runs southwest from Innes Road near DuPlateau Street.

For people who live in the heart of the dense suburb, the new pathways will mean they don’t have to rely a car to run simple errands or walk several kilometres out of their way to reach amenities.

“If you’re going to the drugstore to pick up a prescription, you don’t want to have to get in your car if you can walk or bike in 15 minutes,” Blais said.

The lack of quick and easy connections is a common complaint among some suburb dwellers, but Blais said the new pathways will make it much simpler to reach parks, recreation centres, schools, shopping and rapid transit stations.

And they make good use of an unused hydro corridor and land set aside by the city for future transit expansion.

“The hydro corridor is wasted space if you don’t put something there people can use,” he said.

Most people who filled out an online questionnaire about the Trans-Orléans pathway support the project, but many requested the installation of benches, trash cans and lighting. The city said “yes” to benches, but additional garbage cans and pathway lighting aren’t part of the plan.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/orleans-cumberland-to-be-linked-by-new-bike-walking-paths

rousseau
Aug 8, 2017, 7:38 PM
It isn't so much the time as the safety. Blind corners on a multi-use path with pedestrians straddling the entire width, or worse an oncoming cyclist on the wrong side of the path, can make for some hair raising experiences. Experienced cyclists often feel safer on the road than on a multi-use pathway.
How fast are you going? I'm a roadie doing 30+ km/h on those paths, but the stretches of La Route Verte I've been on around Montreal aren't very busy at all, at least in the afternoons when I do my rides.

I guess I don't know what it's like to commute in the morning or evening on a busy cycling path, but this video I found on Youtube doesn't look too bad to me.

8iQRIRY11YE

I'd say that's exponentially preferable to being on the roads with motorized traffic.

TransitZilla
Aug 9, 2017, 1:45 AM
From Ottawa.ca:

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/accountability-and-transparency/public-meetings-and-notices

Proposed Roadway Modifications

Pursuant to By-law No. 2011–122, the City of Ottawa is providing notice to the public of its intention to approve road modifications at the following locations in accordance with the authority under By-law No. 2011-28:

Montreal Road and Burma Road

Proposed protected intersection at Montreal Road and Burma Road
Cross rides on all four legs of the intersection
Cycle tracks and concrete sidewalks on Burma Road
Realignment of Burma Road

Greenfield Avenue between Main Street and Lees Avenue/King Edward Avenue

Cycle tracks on both sides of Greenfield Avenue between Main Street and Lees Avenue/King Edward Avenue
A reduction in the number of on-street parking spaces on Greenfield Avenue between Main and Concord Street to accommodate the proposed cycle tracks
Removal of the existing median on the east leg of the Greenfield Avenue and Concord Street intersection

Colonel By Drive from Graham Avenue to Hawthorne Avenue

A multi-use pathway on the east side of Colonel By Driveway between Hawthorne Avenue and Graham Avenue

Main Street from Harvey Street to Colonel By Drive

A multi-use pathway on the west side of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Colonel By Drive
Cycle tracks on both sides of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Harvey Street and on the east side of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Echo Drive
A potential pedestrian crossover on the west leg of the Main Street and Colonel By Drive intersection, subject to funding availability and National Capital Commission approval
Minor narrowing of portions of these roadways to accommodate the proposed cycling facilities

Acajack
Aug 9, 2017, 1:57 AM
How fast are you going? I'm a roadie doing 30+ km/h on those paths, but the stretches of La Route Verte I've been on around Montreal aren't very busy at all, at least in the afternoons when I do my rides.

I guess I don't know what it's like to commute in the morning or evening on a busy cycling path, but this video I found on Youtube doesn't look too bad to me.

8iQRIRY11YE

I'd say that's exponentially preferable to being on the roads with motorized traffic.

I hate to say it but this area has lots of prima donna and aggressive cyclists.

My speed is not even close to 30 kmh and I occasionally feel they are gonna run me off the path. Some are downright nasty and dangerous. They belong in traffic with motor vehicles IMO.

rousseau
Aug 9, 2017, 4:50 AM
I hate to say it but this area has lots of prima donna and aggressive cyclists.

My speed is not even close to 30 kmh and I occasionally feel they are gonna run me off the path. Some are downright nasty and dangerous. They belong in traffic with motor vehicles IMO.
I myself would never go that fast if it were busy. There's almost nobody on the paths between Montreal and Chambly on weekday afternoons in the summer when I do my rides there, so I go full speed ahead.

McC
Aug 9, 2017, 11:54 AM
From Ottawa.ca:

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/accountability-and-transparency/public-meetings-and-notices

Nice, thanks; those projects would do some good gap-filling for cyclists and pedestrians in/through OOE and SandyHill.

They're indicative of a real positive development in this community. Not too long ago, the city would have just pointed to the Canal MUP and said there's all the cycling infrastructure you need... "but how do you get on to the path from here?" ... <shrug> "And there's no money for it anyway..."

Now they seem to be really looking for the seams and gaps, and filling them in one by one. Incrementalism like this takes forever to stitch them all together, but at least in ten years, the network will be something to be proud of.

waterloowarrior
Aug 9, 2017, 1:33 PM
Nice, thanks; those projects would do some good gap-filling for cyclists and pedestrians in/through OOE and SandyHill.

They're indicative of a real positive development in this community. Not too long ago, the city would have just pointed to the Canal MUP and said there's all the cycling infrastructure you need... "but how do you get on to the path from here?" ... <shrug> "And there's no money for it anyway..."

Now they seem to be really looking for the seams and gaps, and filling them in one by one. Incrementalism like this takes forever to stitch them all together, but at least in ten years, the network will be something to be proud of.

It's amazing how much progress we've made since the Laurier separated lanes were installed only six years ago as a pilot project (FYI these are supposed to be replaced with cycle tracks next year). Even more gaps in OOE will be filled with the new bridge over the canal and the upgraded path along the west side of the river.

zzptichka
Aug 9, 2017, 1:55 PM

Still no good connection between Main and O'Connor cycle tracks. Rebuilt Hawthorne will only have bike lane on one side and you have to squeeze between traffic and parked cars going back. Makes entire route unsafe.

Edit: Looks like there is an alternative Eastbound route via quieter Graham Avenue. Okay then. Makes it a complicated afterthought as usual though.

dougvdh
Aug 9, 2017, 4:40 PM
Still no good connection between Main and O'Connor cycle tracks. Rebuilt Hawthorne will only have bike lane on one side and you have to squeeze between traffic and parked cars going back. Makes entire route unsafe.

Edit: Looks like there is an alternative Eastbound route via quieter Graham Avenue. Okay then. Makes it a complicated afterthought as usual though.

And it looks like, while new cycle tracks will extend up Main, there is no plans for a crossing to get to the Canal MUP.

McC
Aug 9, 2017, 4:50 PM
And it looks like, while new cycle tracks will extend up Main, there is no plans for a crossing to get to the Canal MUP.

see the second-last line in Brad's post.

TransitZilla
Aug 9, 2017, 6:00 PM

From above:

Main Street from Harvey Street to Colonel By Drive

A multi-use pathway on the west side of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Colonel By Drive
Cycle tracks on both sides of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Harvey Street and on the east side of Main Street between Greenfield Avenue and Echo Drive
A potential pedestrian crossover on the west leg of the Main Street and Colonel By Drive intersection, subject to funding availability and National Capital Commission approval
Minor narrowing of portions of these roadways to accommodate the proposed cycling facilities

Multi-modal
Aug 13, 2017, 2:50 PM
On the City of Ottawa's public engagement website they've put up feedback on the Mcarther Avenue bike lanes. I'm impressed with they're willingness to improve things using the surveys. They've changed the design after a lot of comments asked them to move to parking protected bike lanes:

The revised plan moved cycle lanes to be between the curb and the parked cars where parking is present. The parked cars, planters and precast curbs will provide a barrier space for cyclists in order to improve comfort and safety.

Construction is supposed to start this summer. Anyone know if its already started?

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/mcarthur-avenue-cycle-lanes-between-st-laurent-boulevard-and-north-river-road

Similarly, they've revised the design for the Trillium Pathway extension to Prince of Wales... they changed it quite a bit, and removed the two crossings they were proposing. I think that change is less about public feedback and more because they wanted to reduce costs and were scared of the regulatory headaches of the un-signalized crossings they were proposing.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/trillium-pathway-phase-3-functional-design-study-carling-avenue-dows-lake

dougvdh
Aug 14, 2017, 1:21 PM
see the second-last line in Brad's post.

No funding and no approvals does not equal a plan.

That's more of an 'idea' . . .

Dr.Z
Aug 18, 2017, 2:02 PM

I would have thought that, say, taking the Rideau Canal Western Pathway from the southern parts of the Glebe, or parts further south, to a workplace downtown would be totally worth the extra time just for the sheer pleasure of the surroundings and the lack of concern and irritation produced by cycling among motorized vehicles.

You are correct. Many cyclist commuters I know take the canal path between Downtown and Glebe/areas south for that very reason. There are different types of cyclist commuters just like there are different types of driving commuters. The more aggressive, on-a-schedule ones will prefer a more direct path and avg 20+ kmh (including traffic light stops (assuming they stop). The less aggressive ones enjoy more scenic routes that are away/separated from vehicular traffic and have the feeling of being safer. In the driving world we call these folk "sunday-drivers".

acottawa
Aug 18, 2017, 2:15 PM
On the City of Ottawa's public engagement website they've put up feedback on the Mcarther Avenue bike lanes. I'm impressed with they're willingness to improve things using the surveys. They've changed the design after a lot of comments asked them to move to parking protected bike lanes:

Construction is supposed to start this summer. Anyone know if its already started?

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/mcarthur-avenue-cycle-lanes-between-st-laurent-boulevard-and-north-river-road

Similarly, they've revised the design for the Trillium Pathway extension to Prince of Wales... they changed it quite a bit, and removed the two crossings they were proposing. I think that change is less about public feedback and more because they wanted to reduce costs and were scared of the regulatory headaches of the un-signalized crossings they were proposing.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/trillium-pathway-phase-3-functional-design-study-carling-avenue-dows-lake

I still find it nonsensical that they have just completely reconstructed the sidewalks on both sides of Donald (which has a direct connection to the Adawe Bridge and cycling infrastructure East of St Laurent) and won't install an MUP but are willing to spend money on McArthur, which is a truck route, dead ends at St Laurent and has no direct connection to any bridge.

Multi-modal
Aug 18, 2017, 2:24 PM
I still find it nonsensical that they have just completely reconstructed the sidewalks on both sides of Donald (which has a direct connection to the Adawe Bridge and cycling infrastructure East of St Laurent) and won't install an MUP but are willing to spend money on McArthur, which is a truck route, dead ends at St Laurent and has no direct connection to any bridge.

That was the most common comment:

"42 comments mentioned larger planning issues relating to the Ottawa Cycling Plan, more specifically the Donald Street shared use lane project. Some comments requested funding to construct higher order cycling facilities along Donald Street."

The response:

"After reviewing feedback on the recent consultations regarding McArthur Avenue, many residents asked for Donald Street to be improved for cyclists. In the very near term, pavement markings (sharrows) will be added along sections of the Donald Corridor. In the longer term, staff will propose the status of this corridor be re-evaluated during the next cycling plan review to provide a higher level cycling facility with reserved space for cyclists if space permits."

acottawa
Aug 18, 2017, 2:55 PM
"After reviewing feedback on the recent consultations regarding McArthur Avenue, many residents asked for Donald Street to be improved for cyclists. In the very near term, pavement markings (sharrows) will be added along sections of the Donald Corridor. In the longer term, staff will propose the status of this corridor be re-evaluated during the next cycling plan review to provide a higher level cycling facility with reserved space for cyclists if space permits."

So rather than pay the difference between a brand new sidewalk and an MUP (the ROW on Donald is huge), they are paying for the MacArthur project, paying for the sharrow project, and then will pay for a "higher level cycling facility" at some point in the future.

Multi-modal
Aug 18, 2017, 3:06 PM
So rather than pay the difference between a brand new sidewalk and an MUP (the ROW on Donald is huge), they are paying for the MacArthur project, paying for the sharrow project, and then will pay for a "higher level cycling facility" at some point in the future.

Correct.

I agree with you though... they should have saved the money spent on MacArthur to do Donald properly as soon as possible.

I suspect this has to do with the source of the funding .... the City may be using cycling funding AND funding put aside for traffic calming to "kill two birds with one stone". They probably couldn't use the traffic calming portion of the funding for Donald.

Acajack
Aug 18, 2017, 3:59 PM
You are correct. Many cyclist commuters I know take the canal path between Downtown and Glebe/areas south for that very reason. There are different types of cyclist commuters just like there are different types of driving commuters. The more aggressive, on-a-schedule ones will prefer a more direct path and avg 20+ kmh (including traffic light stops (assuming they stop). The less aggressive ones enjoy more scenic routes that are away/separated from vehicular traffic and have the feeling of being safer. In the driving world we call these folk "sunday-drivers".

I thought about this thread on my bike ride home last night.

I was on a shared path (actually it had a concrete sidewalk next to an asphalt bike path), and a speeding cyclist came within inches of running over a three or four year old girl. She was with her mom who had two other kids in tow but the girl who almost got hit was walking maybe five to ten metres in front of her mom and siblings. She was dawdling both on the sidewalk and the bike track. There was just us (me, the family and the cyclist) there and the visibility is good, so I can't fathom how the cyclist didn't see the young family ahead and didn't slow down.

rocketphish
Aug 18, 2017, 4:56 PM
New bike repair stations going in across Ottawa
By the end of the day Friday, the city will have 17 stations installed

Published on Thu Aug 17 2017

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/2017/08/17/new-bike-repair-stations-going-in-across-ottawa/story-307501-345029-image-rendered.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

As part of an initiative to improve the safey of Ottawa's road, the city has installed a number of new bike repair stations this week.

By the end of day Friday, 17 stations will be in place across the city, stretching from Stittsville to Cumberland and from the core, to as far south as Carp.

"Every day another station's gone in this week," Rob Wilkinson, coordinator of the Safer Roads Program said, who partnered on the project with Ottawa Public Health, Stantec and the EnviroCentre.

Wilkinson said the idea is to help people keep their bikes in reliable working condition to improve safety.

"Whether that's their tire is full of air, whether that's their chain being tightened, their pedal being tightened, their brakes being tightened," he said.

All of the repair stations are brighly coloured and include a pump, and a number of tools attached to a stand. They have been placed in areas people are likely to travel by bike, including libraries, Park and Ride Stations, community centres and parks.

Stittsville Councillor Shad Qadri said he was particularly proud of the new one in Stittsville because it was put along the TransCanada Trail.

"It's located right on the trail. It's a park setting, to help those riders as they come through and if they have issues with their bicycles, they can now repair them," he said.

"It's so nice to see this kind of thing put in further from the core to try include more people," Heather Sherrar, vice president of Bike Ottawa, said.

"Not everybody always travels with a pump, so the more of these kinds of stations we have around the city, if you run into the trouble, the more likely it is that you might be able to fix yourself up."

The first repair station went in at Ottawa City Hall back in 2015.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/08/17/new-bike-repair-stations-going-in-across-ottawa.html

TransitZilla
Aug 21, 2017, 4:40 PM
New online consultation for design of cycling facilities on Hunt Club Road between Riverside and Paul Benoit:

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/hunt-club-road-cycling-link-riverside-drive-paul-benoit-driveway

(The page says that this will complete a cycling link on Hunt Club from Hwy 416 to Esson St but this is not true- there is still a gap between Bank and Cahill).

TransitZilla
Aug 21, 2017, 4:42 PM
New bike repair stations going in across Ottawa
By the end of the day Friday, the city will have 17 stations installed

Published on Thu Aug 17 2017

As part of an initiative to improve the safey of Ottawa's road, the city has installed a number of new bike repair stations this week.

By the end of day Friday, 17 stations will be in place across the city, stretching from Stittsville to Cumberland and from the core, to as far south as Carp.

Wow, I didn't think Carp was particularly South... :shrug:

waterloowarrior
Aug 21, 2017, 8:54 PM
Woodroffe Avenue Reconstruction Opportunity

During Stage 2 LRT construction, Woodroffe Avenue will be widened between Iris Street and Baseline Road to accommodate OC Transpo bus detours. Once the Stage 2 LRT west extension enters revenue service, Woodroffe Avenue can be rebuilt to achieve the following outcomes and benefits:

-Meet Provincial accessibility standards for persons of all ages and abilities
-Shift cyclists from general traffic lanes to raised cycle tracks
-Maintain pre-construction traffic lanes

The City of Ottawa held a public meeting on August 17, 2017 to discuss reconstruction options for Woodroffe Avenue from Iris Street to Baseline Road after the Stage 2 Light Rail Transit (LRT) Project is complete.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/transportation/woodroffe-avenue-reconstruction-opportunity

zzptichka
Aug 21, 2017, 9:10 PM
The City of Ottawa held a public meeting on August 17, 2017 to discuss reconstruction options for Woodroffe Avenue from Iris Street to Baseline Road after the Stage 2 Light Rail Transit (LRT) Project is complete.

Never heard of this public meeting and I usually follow this stuff pretty closely.
Nothing on twitter and elsewhere online. Did it even happen?

Edit: nevermind it did. Here's Chiarelli casually posing with some boards (https://twitter.com/RickChiarelli/status/898300299911118848)

roger1818
Aug 23, 2017, 6:24 AM
Wow, I didn't think Carp was particularly South... :shrug:

Ya. I was thinking the same thing. Considering there is one in Stittsville (which is south of Carp), I would guess Alex Abdelwahab failed geography.

Acajack
Aug 23, 2017, 3:35 PM
Ya. I was thinking the same thing. Considering there is one in Stittsville (which is south of Carp), I would guess Alex Abdelwahab failed geography.

Or just made an honest mistake.

mykl
Sep 7, 2017, 8:43 PM
From the LRT updates page (here's the link for pictures: http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/news/booth-street-bridge-connectivity-improvement/)

Booth Street Bridge Connectivity Improvement

A design solution has been confirmed that will improve connectivity and cycling safety on Booth Street between Albert Street and the intersection of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway.

This functional design solution, which features a mix of cycle tracks and bike lanes along Booth Street, will provide safe cycling connectivity within this important active transportation corridor to many current and future amenities in this area, including:

Future Confederation Line Pimisi station
Bike paths between Ottawa and Gatineau
Canadian War Museum and Holocaust Memorial
Future developments in the vicinity, including LeBreton Flats and Zibi

This solution would not have been possible without the collaboration between the City and several active transportation groups including Citizens for Safe Cycling, Healthy Transportation Coalition, EcoDistrict Ottawa, West Side Action (Blog), Ecology Ottawa, Share the Road Ottawa and the City of Ottawa Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee.

Pictured below are functional design renderings of the future Booth Street cycling solution. These renderings are subject to change once the detailed design phase commences.

roger1818
Sep 8, 2017, 11:40 AM
From the LRT updates page (here's the link for pictures: http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/news/booth-street-bridge-connectivity-improvement/)

Here are the picttures:
http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_North-438x246.jpg (http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_North-1024x576.jpg)
http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_South-438x246.jpg (http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_South-1024x576.jpg)
http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_Cyclist-POV_South-438x246.jpg (http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Booth-Street_Cyclist-POV_South-1024x576.jpg)

dougvdh
Sep 8, 2017, 12:48 PM
I'd like to see some drawings covering the entire length from Albert to SJAM because from the images, it's not clear what happens beyond where the bus bays were. From what's built currently, I'm not sure where they are finding the ROW width to create a proper bikelane or cycletrack on the north end.

Kitchissippi
Sep 8, 2017, 12:52 PM
I'd like to know how a tree that big could grow on the bridge :)

dougvdh
Sep 8, 2017, 1:05 PM
I'd like to know how a tree that big could grow on the bridge :)

They've got that covered: "These renderings are subject to change once the detailed design phase commences."

McC
Sep 8, 2017, 1:13 PM
I'd like to see some drawings covering the entire length from Albert to SJAM because from the images, it's not clear what happens beyond where the bus bays were. From what's built currently, I'm not sure where they are finding the ROW width to create a proper bikelane or cycletrack on the north end.

I think it's just the existing bike lanes north of the station until next phases of the Flats are developed:
http://www.westsideaction.com/fixing-booth-freeway-fiasco/

Multi-modal
Sep 8, 2017, 1:35 PM
That cyclist guidance fence needs some more gaps in it. I get why they have it... to guide cyclists around the shelter, but it also forces transit users to hug curb as they go to and from the shelter area. There should be a gap to allow pedestrians to get to the sidewalk without having to follow the curb. Also, there must be more attractive ways than a fence to guide cyclists (another raised planter?).

Anyway, I guess that's for detailed. I hope they do some public consultation on this one.... not everyone is a card-carrying member of their local bike lobbyist group.

TransitZilla
Sep 8, 2017, 1:39 PM
Got the city's latest Cycling in the City e-mail....

Cycling in the City - September 2017

Rideau River Western Pathway

Construction is well underway on an extension to the Rideau River Western Pathway. This current project will lengthen the existing multi-use pathway between Strathcona Park and the uOttawa Lees Avenue campus a further 1.4km to the south to Onslow Crescent. The project will provide an active transportation corridor that will connect the uOttawa Lees Campus, Springhurst Park, Greystone Village and Brantwood Park. At Brantwood Park southbound cyclists will transition to the shared-vehicle lanes along Onslow Crescent, Bullock Avenue and Rideau Garden Drive to continue southwards along the Rideau River. Although some segments of the pathway will open in fall 2017 the full pathway is not expected to be completed until early summer 2018.

A separate project currently underway within Windsor Park in Old Ottawa South is renewing the existing park pathway and upgrading it to the City's multi-use pathway standard as part of the long-term plan for walking and cycling within the Rideau River western corridor. Additional information can be found on the City's website.

Campeau Drive Multi-Use Pathway

Construction is also advanced on the Campeau Drive multi-use pathway. This project is replacing the existing sidewalk on the northside of Campeau Drive with a multi-use pathway to better serve residents of this area. The new segment of multi-use pathway extends from Knduson Drive to Teron Road, a distance of approximately 1km.
The main 3m-wide asphalt pathway has been installed and is now operational, with the restoration and regrading of the boulevards also completed. Short segments of cycle tracks have been constructed to the west of the Knudson Drive intersection to provide a connection between the multi-use pathway and the roadway. The project is anticipated to be fully finished later this fall, once the pavement markings and signage are completed.

St. Laurent Road Rehabilitation

As part of the improvements currently being constructed for transit services along St. Laurent Boulevard between Industrial Road and Smyth Road, improvements for cyclists are also being delivered. The reconstruction of the road to accommodate a bus-only lane also includes new raised cycle tracks in both the north and south directions, and provides a cross-ride at the Industrial Road and Innes Road intersection for cyclists using the east-west multi-use pathway, which is also being extended. Construction on this project is ongoing, and the segments of raised cycle tracks have been partially constructed although are not yet operational.
Completion of this multi-year project is anticipated in late 2017; details can be found on the City's website.

Trans-Orléans Multi-Use Pathway

Construction of the Trans-Orléans Pathway is anticipated to begin later this summer. This long-distance pathway, approximately 3km in length, is a predominantly off-road route between Liska Street and Trim Road, approximately halfway between Innes Road and Brian Coburn Boulevard. This facility provides a low-stress east-west route that connects to a number of community destinations within the Avalon and Notting Hill neighbourhoods, including Avalon Public School, Cumberland Millennium Sports Park and OC Transpo's Millennium Park and Ride facility. The Trans-Orleans Pathway project will connect to another multi-use pathway also being built in the neighbourhood this year; the Avalon Pathway is located within the hydro-corridor between Chardonnay Drive and Brian Coburn Boulevard.
Completion of the Trans-Orleans pathway is expected in late-summer 2018; a drawing showing the pathway route can be found on the City's website.

Hunt Club Road Cycling Link – Consultation Now Online

The City of Ottawa is in the planning stage for improving cycling conditions along Hunt Club Road between Riverside Drive and Paul Benoit Driveway. The draft design proposes a shared pedestrian and one-way (westbound) cycling facility for the northside of Hunt Club Road, and a separate cycle track and sidewalk for the southside where there is more space.
This project is identified within the 2013 Ottawa Cycling Plan to be constructed within the period 2020 to 2025, however the City of Ottawa has received federal stimulus funding to complete the design work ahead of this time. To view the proposed design and submit your feedback by 20 September, please visit the project webpage.

Booth Street Bridge Improvements – Design Solution

A combination of cycle tracks and bike lanes have been proposed as a preliminary design solution for the Booth Street Bridge. This infrastructure project will provide a safe cycling facility in a key active transportation corridor serving a number of important local destinations. These destinations include the Confederation Line Pimisi station, planned development sites such as LeBreton Flats and Zibi, and onward cycling connections both along and across the Ottawa River.

This preliminary design solution was developed as a collaboration between the City and several community active transportation groups including Citizens for Safe Cycling, Healthy Transportation Coalition, EcoDistrict Ottawa, West Side Action (Blog), Ecology Ottawa, Share the Road and the City of Ottawa Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee. For more information, please visit the City's Confederation Line website.

Use the Yellow Dots to Activate the Green Light

The City would like to remind Ottawa cyclists to wait on the three yellow dots to make sure that you get a green light when waiting at a traffic signal. The three yellow dots are installed at signalized intersections to indicate to cyclists where the most responsive part of the metal-detecting 'loop' is embedded in the asphalt. This loop senses when vehicles, including bicycles, are stopped in this location and sends a request to change the signal to green within the next cycle. If you are not stopped on the yellow dots, you may not get the green light.

Mackenzie Avenue Cycle Tracks

The Mackenzie Avenue cycle tracks opened in mid-May and the data collected in the first couple of months shows some positive trends. Firstly, the bike tracks have encouraged more people to ride within this corridor, with between two to three times more cyclists using Mackenzie Avenue compared with before the cycle tracks opened. Secondly, combined with efforts made to encourage cyclists to use the new cycling facility instead of the sidewalk on the west side of Mackenzie Avenue, recent counts showed that over 85% of cyclists within the corridor are now using the cycle tracks, reducing the risk of conflict with pedestrians.

Overall, cyclist volumes in July and August are averaging slightly less than 10,000 per week, with 2552 trips counted on the busiest day (Friday 28 July 2017). The majority of cyclists are travelling southbound (75%), with most continuing along Colonel By Drive to connect with the Rideau Canal Eastern Pathway. City staff plan to begin the functional design process for extensions to the Mackenzie Avenue facility at its current southern terminus, to improve the cycling connections to the south and east directions. The improvements will make the Mackenzie Avenue facility an even more important connection within the City's downtown bikeway network.

Ontario Municipal Commuter Cycling Funding

In late May the Ministry of Transportation launched the multi-year Ontario Municipal Commuter Cycling (OMCC) program. In 2017 this program is making up to $50M available province-wide to invest in cycling infrastructure to help reduce the volume of greenhouse gases generated from the transportation sector. On 23 June 2017, Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi announced the allocation of $5M in 2017 OMCC funding for the City of Ottawa towards the construction of the new Rideau Canal crossing. Construction of this new bridge, connecting Fifth Avenue and Clegg Street, is anticipated to begin this fall. For more information on the Rideau Canal bridge project, please visit the project webpage on the City's website.

Uhuniau
Sep 8, 2017, 6:02 PM
That cyclist guidance fence needs some more gaps in it. I get why they have it... to guide cyclists around the shelter, but it also forces transit users to hug curb as they go to and from the shelter area. There should be a gap to allow pedestrians to get to the sidewalk without having to follow the curb. Also, there must be more attractive ways than a fence to guide cyclists (another raised planter?).

Anyway, I guess that's for detailed. I hope they do some public consultation on this one.... not everyone is a card-carrying member of their local bike lobbyist group.

The theme of 2017 seems to be Screw You, Transit Users, Cyclist Coming Through.

TransitZilla
Sep 8, 2017, 7:03 PM
The theme of 2017 seems to be Screw You, Transit Users, Cyclist Coming Through.

Sorry, I don't get your anti-cyclist bent.

Can we not agree that more road space should be provided to transit and cyclists rather than just for cars?

AndyMEng
Sep 8, 2017, 7:13 PM

Can we not agree that more road space should be provided to transit and cyclists rather than just for cars?

Pedestrian/Cyclist interactions are more easily managed than car/cyclist?

kevinbottawa
Sep 8, 2017, 7:17 PM

When has transit struggled to get road space?

TransitZilla
Sep 8, 2017, 7:44 PM

I don't think transit vehicles are appropriately prioritized on most of our arterial roads; do you?

OC Transpo issues notices about delays due to traffic congestion almost daily so the answer is pretty clear to me.

And I think it should be easier to cycle around this city too.

roger1818
Sep 9, 2017, 3:54 AM

On Montreal Rd. they are removing a bus lane to build bike lanes. This will force thousands of people a day to wait in traffic on the bus so that a fraction of that many cyclists (especially in winter) can have an open road.

TransitZilla
Sep 9, 2017, 4:19 AM
On Montreal Rd. they are removing a bus lane to build bike lanes. This will force thousands of people a day to wait in traffic on the bus so that a fraction of that many cyclists (especially in winter) can have an open road.

My suggestion for Montreal Rd was that it should have a reversible lane so that one lane can be reserved for buses in rush hour (westbound in AM, eastbound in PM).

I think that would achieve the best outcome for bikes and transit.

roger1818
Sep 9, 2017, 4:43 AM
My suggestion for Montreal Rd was that it should have a reversible lane so that one lane can be reserved for buses in rush hour (westbound in AM, eastbound in PM).

IMHO that would be a resipie for confusion and disaster since cars would be alternating between being required to be in the right lane (and prohibited from the middle lane) or required to be on the middle lane and prohibited from the right lane. I don't know of anywhere that does that level of craziness as one of the lanes is usually always available for traffic. The closest I can think of is the George Massy Tunnel in Vancouver which has 4 lanes but they will close the left contraflow lane and open it to oncoming traffic but at least there the right lane is always open.

To me a better option would be to allow bicycles in the bus lane.

Kitchissippi
Sep 9, 2017, 11:46 AM

Yet all across the city so much more road space is used for on-street parking. Tens of thousands of transit users, pedestrians and cyclists are inconvenienced so that a small number of drivers can have the privilege of storing their cars. Few people seem to complain when parking takes up half the street space.

acottawa
Sep 9, 2017, 1:27 PM
Yet all across the city so much more road space is used for on-street parking. Tens of thousands of transit users, pedestrians and cyclists are inconvenienced so that a small number of drivers can have the privilege of storing their cars. Few people seem to complain when parking takes up half the street space.

Cyclists seem to be able to exert an enormous political influence in this city despite representing only 2.4% of commuters. On the east side every East-West arterial road has or will receive cycling lanes. One directly at the expense of transit users (Montreal road) and two more at great inconvenience to transit users (Beachwood and Mccarthur).

Kitchissippi
Sep 9, 2017, 4:40 PM
Cyclists seem to be able to exert an enormous political influence in this city despite representing only 2.4% of commuters. On the east side every East-West arterial road has or will receive cycling lanes. One directly at the expense of transit users (Montreal road) and two more at great inconvenience to transit users (Beachwood and Mccarthur).

A bit of misleading statistic as the majority of cycling use is not for commuting. If you factor in the potential for utilitarian (shopping, errands, etc) and leisure activity(going out to eat, entertainment and recreation, much like drivers and transit users do), usage could get much higher. There are actually more bikes per capita in the city than cars, most homes have several — in mine it's 1 car to 8 bikes. Even in Orleans, Barrhaven or Kanata there is at least one bike per person across all ages. Bicycle use can also be very local, 1 to 2 kms within a neighbourhood and it is essential for main streets to accommodate them to make services accessible, and not relegate cycling to side streets.

Even if you take the 2.4% commuting modal share, cycling infrastructure still takes way less than 1% of the transportation budget, and a tiny fraction of street space especially in relation to car parking. Unlike public transit, it requires almost zero operating subsidies after infrastructure is built. In comparison OC Transpo's tax levy is equal to that of the entire road budget. Bang for buck, cycling is cheap and holds the highest potential for growth in modal share, the infrastructure for safe cycling just needs to catch up.

As for Montreal Road and Beechwood, maybe the city should find ways of reducing access to automobiles by devising a plan to limit and funnel non-essential, non-local traffic elsewhere. Main streets should be community spaces first and foremost, and least of all commuting arterials for drivers.

acottawa
Sep 9, 2017, 5:39 PM
A bit of misleading statistic as the majority of cycling use is not for commuting. If you factor in the potential for utilitarian (shopping, errands, etc) and leisure activity(going out to eat, entertainment and recreation, much like drivers and transit users do), usage could get much higher. There are actually more bikes per capita in the city than cars, most homes have several — in mine it's 1 car to 8 bikes. Even in Orleans, Barrhaven or Kanata there is at least one bike per person across all ages. Bicycle use can also be very local, 1 to 2 kms within a neighbourhood and it is essential for main streets to accommodate them to make services accessible, and not relegate cycling to side streets.

Even if you take the 2.4% commuting modal share, cycling infrastructure still takes way less than 1% of the transportation budget, and a tiny fraction of street space especially in relation to car parking. Unlike public transit, it requires almost zero operating subsidies after infrastructure is built. In comparison OC Transpo's tax levy is equal to that of the entire road budget. Bang for buck, cycling is cheap and holds the highest potential for growth in modal share, the infrastructure for safe cycling just needs to catch up.

As for Montreal Road and Beechwood, maybe the city should find ways of reducing access to automobiles by devising a plan to limit and funnel non-essential, non-local traffic elsewhere. Main streets should be community spaces first and foremost, and least of all commuting arterials for drivers.

As far as I can tell, nobody keeps modal share stats for errands, so it is pretty speculative too suggest that it would be much higher than the commuter rates.

In much of the city, between the bridge locations and dead ending streets to enhance the quality of life in rich neighbourhoods, the main streets are the only streets that go anywhere and have to support a wide range of users. Using 25 of the ROW on every east-west street to support a small number of commuters and an unknown number of errand runners does not seem to me to be an equitable division of a scarce ROW. Even if you exclude the non-local people, a neighbourhood like New Edinburgh - Lindenlea has only 8% cycling to work, compared to 15% walking, 24% using transit and over 50% driving.

zzptichka
Sep 10, 2017, 4:42 AM

You're talking from the assumption that status quo is somehow fair and cyclists are now lobbying for a bigger slice of a pie. But the fact is that adequate cycling infrastructure has been underdeveloped for decades and we are just trying to catch up here.

Difference between stressful share-the-road cycling and well-connected all-ages-friendly segregated network we are aiming for, is enormous, more than the difference between LRT and BRT we are spending 3 Billion on. Such upgrade is also way cheaper and offers more potential for growth.

lrt's friend
Sep 10, 2017, 4:54 AM

I think that would achieve the best outcome for bikes and transit.

Montreal Road is an important urban street, with a number of employment locations in the east end. It is not good enough to just give priority to transit riders going to and from downtown. We should also be encouraging transit in the opposite direction as well.

lrt's friend
Sep 10, 2017, 5:02 AM
Despite the comments about the number of bikes per household, how many use those bikes for routine transportation compared to other modes? Then consider winter when bike modal share is perhaps 0.1% or less.

I do believe in improved bike infrastructure but we have to keep this in perspective and also consider the majority modes and the majority of the population. I see little possibility that the majority will ever be cyclists because of Ottawa's climate and geography. This is not Amsterdam or Copenhagen, which are essentially flat with a moderate climate compared to ours.

Aylmer
Sep 10, 2017, 10:04 AM
Well if we can't be Amsterdam because of climate, then we could still be twice as good as Yellowknife, which leads the country in walking and cycling to work. Despite an average January temperature of -23 (to Ottawa's -10), fully 24% commute to work that way.

The climate argument is not nearly as important as a lot of people guess. If it were, LA would be a cycling Mecca, not dreary and rainy Copenhagen.

acottawa
Sep 10, 2017, 1:04 PM
Well if we can't be Amsterdam because of climate, then we could still be twice as good as Yellowknife, which leads the country in walking and cycling to work. Despite an average January temperature of -23 (to Ottawa's -10), fully 24% commute to work that way.

The climate argument is not nearly as important as a lot of people guess. If it were, LA would be a cycling Mecca, not dreary and rainy Copenhagen.

How many in yellowknife cycle to work? Tom Brady and I have five super bowl rings between us - that doesn't tell you anything useful about my football abilities.

Kitchissippi
Sep 10, 2017, 1:14 PM
Despite the comments about the number of bikes per household, how many use those bikes for routine transportation compared to other modes? Then consider winter when bike modal share is perhaps 0.1% or less.

I do believe in improved bike infrastructure but we have to keep this in perspective and also consider the majority modes and the majority of the population. I see little possibility that the majority will ever be cyclists because of Ottawa's climate and geography. This is not Amsterdam or Copenhagen, which are essentially flat with a moderate climate compared to ours.

The fact that those bikes exist proves the potential and willingness is there but something is inhibiting people from cycling more often. That reason is often poor infrastructure or the perception that it is inconvenient or unsafe for daily use.

The climate reason is psychological, people go skiing in worse conditions — it's the reduction of road space when bike lanes turn into snow storage in the winter that's the problem. There's actually been a remarkable increase in winter cyclists in Ottawa, I would almost guess more than a 100% increase in the last 5 years from a rarity to something noticeable.

I find it amusing that some people would lay blame on cycling infrastructure for creating traffic problems when it is car volume that is causing it. Adding more lanes to main streets won't solve anything because it's the intersections that fail, not road capacity. Road diets such as the one they implemented on Scott Street between Holland and Churchill demonstrate this with a smoother more regulated flow.

Cars, transit and bicycles are just methods to deliver pedestrians to urban destinations. Driving is the most expensive to support and offers the lowest potential for growth in volume for the space available, while cycling can easily be increased exponentially with minimal investment. This is why priorities are being shifted, not because of cyclists exerting enormous political influence. You can disagree if you like, but major cities from New York, Paris, London, to Montreal all have claimed remarkable success in implementing better cycling infrastructure. It's slow gradual process but the general effect on urban life have all been extremely positive, I doubt they would ever turn back.

roger1818
Sep 10, 2017, 2:52 PM
The fact that those bikes exist proves the potential and willingness is there but something is inhibiting people from cycling more often. That reason is often poor infrastructure or the perception that it is inconvenient or unsafe for daily use.

Safety is probably the largest issue. Adding paint on the road doesn't make cycling safer. If anything bike lanes make it more dangerous as it puts cyclists out of view of turning vehicles.

The climate reason is psychological, people go skiing in worse conditions

But how many cars are their on the ski hills that could loose control and slam into you? Also skis and skates are designed for for maintaining control in snow and ice.

it's the reduction of road space when bike lanes turn into snow storage in the winter that's the problem.

I agree that it is a problem but snow removal is very expensive in both money and environmental costs. The salt needed to keep the roads safe enough for 2 wheeled vehicles also has a large environmental cost. We should be striving to use less salt on our roads, not more.

I am curious what the real environmental cost of winter cycling in Ottawa is (relative to what the environmental cost would be if we didn't support winter cycling).

One of the complaints I have heard from someone is that cycling infrastructure gets a higher priority than even sidewalks for snow plowing. I have heard indirectly from someone who lives on Laurier (and doesn't have a car or bicycle) that people have to walk on the bike lanes after a snow storm because the sidewalks are unpassable but there is bare pavement on the bike lanes.

There's actually been a remarkable increase in winter cyclists in Ottawa, I would almost guess more than a 100% increase in the last 5 years from a rarity to something noticeable.

I am curious what type of modal shift it is? Were they previously cross country skying on paths but now can't because they are plowed? Were they previously walking or taking the bus? Or are they people who would otherwise be driving?

I find it amusing that some people would lay blame on cycling infrastructure for creating traffic problems when it is car volume that is causing it.

I am not sure anyone here is doing that. The concern is reduction of transit capacity. Transit is the second best transportation method for reducing congestion (behind only walking). Cycling is a distant third. As a result it is foolish to replace transit infrastructure with cycling infrastructure.

Adding more lanes to main streets won't solve anything because it's the intersections that fail, not road capacity.

That is an argument against your argument for replacing bus lanes with bike lanes. In volume, cyclists suffer the same problems at intersections that cars do as, each one needs to stop at the intersections. Where as a bus needs to only stop at the intersection once for all of its passengers.

Road diets such as the one they implemented on Scott Street between Holland and Churchill demonstrate this with a smoother more regulated flow.

But the transitway runs parallel to Scott st, so there is no need for bus lanes on it.

Cars, transit and bicycles are just methods to deliver pedestrians to urban destinations. Driving is the most expensive to support and offers the lowest potential for growth in volume for the space available, while cycling can easily be increased exponentially with minimal investment. This is why priorities are being shifted, not because of cyclists exerting enormous political influence.

But the shift in Ottawa is to try and replace buses with bicycles and leave the car infrastructure alone.

You can disagree if you like, but major cities from New York, Paris, London, to Montreal all have claimed remarkable success in implementing better cycling infrastructure.

But did any of those do it by sacrificing transit? Also all of those cities have extensive subway/metro/underground systems. Ottawa is building its first transit tunnel and it doesn't serve the areas where they are wanting to remove transit infrastructure in preference for cycling infrastructure.

Kitchissippi
Sep 10, 2017, 3:49 PM
But the shift in Ottawa is to try and replace buses with bicycles and leave the car infrastructure alone.

But did any of those do it by sacrificing transit? Also all of those cities have extensive subway/metro/underground systems. Ottawa is building its first transit tunnel and it doesn't serve the areas where they are wanting to remove transit infrastructure in preference for cycling infrastructure.

How much bus lane is actually being "sacrificed" for cyclists? Is there evidence that it will affect bus operation or is it just speculation at this point? A most of the time these are short stretches of periodic bus priority lanes (that turn into parking lanes off-hours) in mere hundreds of metres and buses go back into general traffic farther on.

There are ways the city can control cars and prioritize transit on Beechwood. For example they could do a dedicated bus ROW on St Patrick where it is wide enough, and then at the Vanier Parkway intersection have prioritized lights that let buses through first and a short light for cars so fewer enter at a time. Sure, car traffic would back up on St Patrick but it would only be a matter of time where non-essential traffic would choose some other way. Basically using a bit of superblock philosophy in a soft way.

ZORzsubQA_M

acottawa
Sep 10, 2017, 4:59 PM

The climate reason is psychological, people go skiing in worse conditions — it's the reduction of road space when bike lanes turn into snow storage in the winter that's the problem. There's actually been a remarkable increase in winter cyclists in Ottawa, I would almost guess more than a 100% increase in the last 5 years from a rarity to something noticeable.

I'm not sure that the fact that most households own a bike is proof that most people are willing to commute by bicycle. I think it proves the opposite, since 90something percent of bike owners don't use them to commute.

Winter cycling is the most nonsensical thing for the city to promote. Not only is it mostly limited to the affluent who can afford expensive kit, but it is extremely expensive to remove the snow after every snowfall, all to please a few privileged hobbiests. Even the Laurier lanes which receive very costly winter maintenance experience a 95% drop in use in the winter.

lrt's friend
Sep 10, 2017, 7:00 PM
Do we really have a cycling plan that makes sense or are we just throwing in bike tracks or lanes on roads simply because we are planning to rebuild them? Where are cyclists to go beyond Montreal Road? Is Cummings Bridge and Rideau Street a safe cycling route? Or are we just building patchwork cycling infrastructure that doesn't really connect properly?

roger1818
Sep 10, 2017, 7:33 PM
Do we really have a cycling plan that makes sense or are we just throwing in bike tracks or lanes on roads simply because we are planning to rebuild them? Where are cyclists to go beyond Montreal Road? Is Cummings Bridge and Rideau Street a safe cycling route? Or are we just building patchwork cycling infrastructure that doesn't really connect properly?

There is a plan. Here is the map of the Cycling Network – Primary Urban (http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents.ottawa.ca/files/documents/tmp_map_1_en.pdf) from the 2013 Transportation Master Plan.

One crazy thing is even though the new (2015) Adàwe Crossing is aligned with Donald St, it isn't considered a cycling route east of N. River Rd. :koko:

Kitchissippi
Sep 10, 2017, 8:13 PM
There's been a cycling plan in place from way back in the RMOC days. The problem is very little money is put into it, and whatever funds there are usually attached to road reconstruction projects and their long-term schedules. This is why we have the patchwork network we have to day.

For the most part, cyclists are often relegated to the worst part of the road where drainage grates are or gutters where detritus gathers, or leftovers from parking lanes where they risk getting doored. Then when some concessionary bone is thrown like cycle tracks or bike lanes on the some of the most dangerous stretches, some people seem to suddenly be up in arms about too much money being spent or the space it takes up.

Cycling is a generational thing. I remember riding in Copenhagen in the 1990s and they were about where we are almost now. With Millennials embracing the urban cycling movement, I can see it growing a lot more, especially if they pass their habits on to their children.

dougvdh
Sep 11, 2017, 3:36 PM
Winter cycling is the most nonsensical thing for the city to promote. Not only is it mostly limited to the affluent who can afford expensive kit, but it is extremely expensive to remove the snow after every snowfall, all to please a few privileged hobbiests....

All you need is a bike (many people all ready have this), some clothes suitable for being outside (most people have this too), some lights (might have to buy these, but they're useful year round), and if you feel like really spending, maybe a set of studded tires. All this costs less than 3 months bus pass and definitely less than winter prepping a car.

Multi-modal
Sep 11, 2017, 3:51 PM
All you need is a bike (many people all ready have this), some clothes suitable for being outside (most people have this too), some lights (might have to buy these, but they're useful year round), and if you feel like really spending, maybe a set of studded tires. All this costs less than 3 months bus pass and definitely less than winter prepping a car.

To be fair, you'll also probably need a $150 dollar tune-up by the time spring rolls around (Sooo much salt). But ya, a lot of people seem to think that to ride in the winter you'll need to buy a $3000+ fat-bike ... totally not true. A regular bike with $100-$200 pair of studded tires (tires will last you several years) and some fenders. Because of the aforementioned salt, my winter bike is (and started as) a total junker; you really don't need and don't want to use an expensive bike.

I also think that you see fewer cyclists on winter-maintained bike lanes because the winter-maintained network is quite small. Its like saying you don't understand why there a fewer cars on the 417 during winter, when the only road that is plowed during winter is the 417.

TransitZilla
Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 PM
The concern is reduction of transit capacity. Transit is the second best transportation method for reducing congestion (behind only walking). Cycling is a distant third. As a result it is foolish to replace transit infrastructure with cycling infrastructure.

I'm not sure about your ranking of which method is "best" what data you're basing that statement on...

But anyway I can't say I can think of an example in the city where transit capacity has been reduced to allow for cycling infrastructure, except for the design of Montreal Rd. In that case, I agree that it is unfortunate that there will no longer be an eastbound bus lane in the PM peak. That's why I was suggesting a reversible lane design so that there could be a bus lane in both AM and PM peak. The city (and some posters on here) think that will be too complicated, but it would mean that the same level of transit priority that exists today would still be provided.

I'd also like to see the city implement bus lane cameras like they have in NYC, not just on Montreal Rd. but elsewhere. (See: http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/buslane_enforcement_brochure.pdf) This would help transit by ensuring the rules are respected.

acottawa
Sep 11, 2017, 4:55 PM
But anyway I can't say I can think of an example in the city where transit capacity has been reduced to allow for cycling infrastructure, except for the design of Montreal Rd. In that case, I agree that it is unfortunate that there will no longer be an eastbound bus lane in the PM peak. That's why I was suggesting a reversible lane design so that there could be a bus lane in both AM and PM peak. The city (and some posters on here) think that will be too complicated, but it would mean that the same level of transit priority that exists today would still be provided.

Beachwood bike lanes had the direct impact of removing useful stops near the Vanier Parkway useful for transfers among the various routes that converge on the intersection as well as pathway users and the indirect effect of slowing traffic (including for buses) and creating more conflict (particularly at left turns) slowing down buses.

acottawa
Sep 11, 2017, 4:59 PM
To be fair, you'll also probably need a $150 dollar tune-up by the time spring rolls around (Sooo much salt). But ya, a lot of people seem to think that to ride in the winter you'll need to buy a $3000+ fat-bike ... totally not true. A regular bike with $100-$200 pair of studded tires (tires will last you several years) and some fenders. Because of the aforementioned salt, my winter bike is (and started as) a total junker; you really don't need and don't want to use an expensive bike.

And expensive clothing with sufficient insulation/breath-ability/mobility. Most people are not going to be able to bike in their regular winter gear.

Uhuniau
Sep 11, 2017, 5:01 PM

Not only that, but the current preferred design will actually REDUCE bus speeds on Montreal Road, which already has the worst-performing bus service in the city, in terms of vehicle speed and ability to adhere to a schedule.

But that's standard operating procedure in the current City of Ottawa, which really, really, REALLY has a hate-on for Vanier and most other neighbourhoods of the Inner East.

Uhuniau
Sep 11, 2017, 5:06 PM
How much bus lane is actually being "sacrificed" for cyclists? Is there evidence that it will affect bus operation or is it just speculation at this point?

The documentation for the Montreal Road redesign, including the addition of the bike lanes and removal of bus stops to make things better for a handful of cyclists along one of the busiest non-dedicated transit corridors in the city, quite explicitly states that bus transit times along Montreal/Rideau will INCREASE as a result.

So: fewer stops, fewer sheltered stops, longer walks, longer bus-in-motion times, without any compensating factors whatsoever. No real transit priority, no plans for even modest higher-order transit in the urban east end, no increase in capacity, no committment to high-capacity vehicles, no increase in frequency, but dozens of cyclists will be made about 14% happier, and Jim Watson and council get to spend real transit dollars in the suburbs.

This is the plan for one of the densest parts of the city, and an area which has suffered through a thousand little transit cuts and minor indignities.

Uhuniau
Sep 11, 2017, 5:09 PM

Yellowknife is also physically relatively small. Most residents live within what I'd consider walking distance of most work places, at least for an able-bodied person.

roger1818
Sep 11, 2017, 5:14 PM
I'm not sure about your ranking of which method is "best" what data you're basing that statement on...

Commuter density. A standard 40' bus holds about 50 people. Try and fit 50 cyclists in the space a 40' bus occupies on the road (even in peloton densities, where they are all travelling together and all follow strict rules to ensure they don't collide, they won't fit).

Uhuniau
Sep 11, 2017, 5:15 PM
One of the complaints I have heard from someone is that cycling infrastructure gets a higher priority than even sidewalks for snow plowing. I have heard indirectly from someone who lives on Laurier (and doesn't have a car or bicycle) that people have to walk on the bike lanes after a snow storm because the sidewalks are unpassable but there is bare pavement on the bike lanes.

Guilty!

I am not sure anyone here is doing that. The concern is reduction of transit capacity. Transit is the second best transportation method for reducing congestion (behind only walking). Cycling is a distant third. As a result it is foolish to replace transit infrastructure with cycling infrastructure.

So much this.

How do transit users get as much political clout as bike proponents/activists? Or how can transit users who are also bikists leverage that status to the benefit of their transit-using side?

The city is spending billions to build a very suburban "urban" transit system, spending millions to retrofit streets, sometimes in good ways but too often in bad ones, to make them safer for cycling... but something is getting lost in this shuffle.

Why does truly URBAN transit have to take a back seat to ever other priority? Why are downtown main streets being detransitified? What is it going to take to change these attitudes?

Multi-modal
Sep 11, 2017, 5:17 PM
And expensive clothing with sufficient insulation/breath-ability/mobility. Most people are not going to be able to bike in their regular winter gear.

I'd be surprised if most people couldn't.... even those that aren't normally active. My #1 piece of "expensive clothing" would be rain pants (not even good ones) to protect my work pants from winter slush as I bike... not that expensive. Almost everything else I wear I think everyone would have. Waiting for a bus requires more and better clothing. Its a shame cycling is made out to be a rich-man's mode of transport, because really it benefits the poor the most.

I'd still say because of the maintenance costs of salt damage, that taking the bus during January - March is probably slightly cheaper. I've cycled anyway the last two years because of how unreliable OC Transpo can be during snow storms, and I prefer biking then.

I know some people who will never love transit because they can't stand being "out of control" of their commute... they hate the possibility of a cancelled bus making them late or something like that. So the only way to prevent those people from buying a car is for them to be able to bike year-round. Biking you always feel in control.

Side-note: I agree Beechwood was bad implementation, and Montreal Road should keep both Transit Lanes and only implement bike lanes if/when there is some alternative transit corridor (subway in the distant future). Cycling shouldn't come at the expense of transit in heavily used transit corridors like Montreal Road.

acottawa
Sep 11, 2017, 5:34 PM
I'd be surprised if most people couldn't.... even those that aren't normally active. My #1 piece of "expensive clothing" would be rain pants (not even good ones) to protect my work pants from winter slush as I bike... not that expensive. Almost everything else I wear I think everyone would have. Waiting for a bus requires more and better clothing. Its a shame cycling is made out to be a rich-man's mode of transport, because really it benefits the poor the most.

If you can bike in -25 weather in rainpants I am impressed but I'm not sure the average Ottawan has that kind of tolerance.

Multi-modal
Sep 11, 2017, 5:45 PM
If you can bike in -25 weather in rainpants I am impressed but I'm not sure the average Ottawan has that kind of tolerance.

My legs generate a lot of heat while cycling... but if yours don't then add some long johns or sweat pants even.

But that's not really the point. Maybe more to the point is that people just should try it and see how it goes for them (if at all interested, not forcing people obviously). Someone could easily say "I'll cycle every day its above -10". That's pretty reasonable and last year would've only resulted in maybe 15-20 OC Transpo days all year.

I've always thought that there should be another "bike to work week" held in late November. The May one is good at getting people on to their bikes for the summer, but one in November might give people that little bit of experience to say "O, that's not so bad"

TransitZilla
Sep 11, 2017, 5:51 PM
Beachwood bike lanes had the direct impact of removing useful stops near the Vanier Parkway useful for transfers among the various routes that converge on the intersection as well as pathway users and the indirect effect of slowing traffic (including for buses) and creating more conflict (particularly at left turns) slowing down buses.

From what I understand there is some work underway to re-implement a stop near the Vanier Pkwy. I agree there should be one. However I don't agree that transit capacity was reduced by the Beechwood bike lanes, since there were never bus lanes on Beechwood in the first place.

I admit I still fail to understand the dislike of cycling from some professed pro-transit folks on this board. To me cycling is an extension of the transit system and anything that makes our roads better for walking, cycling or taking transit is a good thing.

acottawa
Sep 11, 2017, 6:06 PM
I admit I still fail to understand the dislike of cycling from some professed pro-transit folks on this board. To me cycling is an extension of the transit system and anything that makes our roads better for walking, cycling or taking transit is a good thing.

Because it is a zero sum game. If you take away the lane that used to be used by a bus (even if the line is shared with cars or used for parking outside of rush hour) and turn it over to bikes then there is less capacity for transit. These conversions also usually result in a decrease of convenience with regard to stops, etc.

If the numbers were roughly equal I would understand (which is why I support the Laurier bike lanes), but the buses on Beachwood near the VP carry maybe 500-600 people per hour in rush hour, compared to a few dozen bike riders for 6 months of the year (and a handful off season).

TransitZilla
Sep 11, 2017, 6:28 PM
Because it is a zero sum game.

Sorry I don't agree. Making streets more attractive for cycling and transit make them more urban, pleasant places.

If you take away the lane that used to be used by a bus (even if the line is shared with cars or used for parking outside of rush hour) and turn it over to bikes then there is less capacity for transit. These conversions also usually result in a decrease of convenience with regard to stops, etc.

I have never indicated support for removing bus lanes to turn them into cycle lanes.

But I do support changes like those made to Main St where roads are narrowed to provide cycling facilities. In the majority of these cases, the roads were previously 4 lanes with 2 lanes used for parking. That means buses needed to pull into the parking lane and then pull back out to re-join traffic, which means delay. If the road is narrowed and buses no longer have to pull out of traffic, buses should operate faster.

It seems perverse to argue that we should keep our roads wide, with narrow sidewalks and no cycling facilities, because it's better for transit.

but the buses on Beachwood near the VP carry maybe 500-600 people per hour in rush hour, compared to a few dozen bike riders for 6 months of the year (and a handful off season).

I'd love to know where these numbers came from. Beechwood happens to be part of the city's major E-W bikeway and I'm sure it gets more use that you're saying, or at least it will once it is actually complete.

Cycling is growing at a rapid pace throughout the city and why shouldn't the city encourage it? The infrastructure is cheap to build, cheap to maintain, it makes it easier for people to get around (especially young people and lower incomes) and it gets people out of their cars. Isn't that the goal?