PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Ottawa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

reidjr
Mar 7, 2012, 3:28 PM
I can say from experience that drivers may not be the main customers, but when they can't find parking directly in front, they're certainly the first to let you know. Listening to that regular chorus, you'd think that free, convenient parking *is* a human right.

Parking and bike lanes are not a right there a perk nothing more.

Chris-R
Mar 7, 2012, 3:30 PM
Parking and bike lanes are not a right there a perk nothing more.

I agree with that. I didn't intend to imply that the bike lane was a right either. Neither are.

Dado
Mar 7, 2012, 4:18 PM
Eric Darwin of the Dalhousie Community Association, himself a former business owner downtown, made a post some time back about the phenomenon of downtown business owners who falsely believe that most of their clientele drive to their businesses. Can't find it, but I think he attributed it to the fact that most of the owners live in the suburbs themselves, and have that suburban mentality.

This may be the post you're referring to, though the focus of the one paragraph on the general topic is more related to the delivery issue, and there may be another more on the topic of parking:

http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/laurier-segregated-bike-lane-part-i/

"For twenty years I ran a storefront business in downtown Ottawa, and think I know a bit about the realities of deliveries, short-term parking needs, etc. Trucks and couriers going east on a block with only north side parking/delivery zones will still stop on the south lane to make deliveries. This is traffic calming courtesy of the guy in the UPS short pants. And I am willing to bet that numerous drivers will pull over to the curb (ie, blocking the bike track) where the little bollards are absent in front of parking garage doors. Downtown traffic is far from perfect now, and will survive cycling tracks just fine, but expect the unexpected. My suggestion for now is to eliminate all on-street parking and leave lots of “delivery zones” for customers doing pickups, the Canon technicians, Grand and Toy trucks, taxi stands, the guys with the hairy legs in short pants, etc. I do not think that the City is obligated to provide longer-term storage spaces for private motorists on downtown streets where there are many competing demands for space."

Dado
Mar 7, 2012, 4:29 PM
Aside: In general, the "Public Citizen" column is an outlet for whiners. It's rare that the person or situation being profiled or discussed has a real legitimate complaint.

Really? This is the first I can recall in some time where there wasn't a legitimate complaint. Sometimes they're a bit overblown, but by and large they're about general bureaucratic (both public and private sector) insensitivity. And a lot of the Public Citizen articles are more of a general interest nature than about any specific complaint.

Admiral Nelson
Mar 8, 2012, 1:17 AM
Really? This is the first I can recall in some time where there wasn't a legitimate complaint. Sometimes they're a bit overblown, but by and large they're about general bureaucratic (both public and private sector) insensitivity. And a lot of the Public Citizen articles are more of a general interest nature than about any specific complaint.

Well, here's another gem from not too long ago - Public Citizen: Second-floor balcony on new house disturbs neighbours (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Public+Citizen+Second+floor+balcony+house+disturbs+neighbours/6032543/story.html).

adam-machiavelli
Mar 8, 2012, 3:27 AM
Bob 'I was only elected to bring back football' Monette butting into matters he knows nothing about or should involve him (isn't he from Orleans?): http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Councillor+seeks+changes+Laurier+bike+lanes/6266313/story.html.

Radster
Mar 8, 2012, 6:58 PM
Did anyone see the poll on the Ottawa Sun website? About 90% of the respondents are in favour of moving one of the Laurier bike lanes.

Its amazing how many readers are fooled by one-sided, biased reporting.

Perhaps someone from this forum could volunteer to write a rebuttal to that initial article, and send it to the Citizen and Ottawa Sun, bring up facts such as the economic downturn, health inspections, etc.?

Just a thought.

reidjr
Mar 8, 2012, 7:11 PM
Did anyone see the poll on the Ottawa Sun website? About 90% of the respondents are in favour of moving one of the Laurier bike lanes.

Its amazing how many readers are fooled by one-sided, biased reporting.

Perhaps someone from this forum could volunteer to write a rebuttal to that initial article, and send it to the Citizen and Ottawa Sun, bring up facts such as the economic downturn, health inspections, etc.?

Just a thought.

I think most support bike lanes but 2 on on road i think that is what people have a issue with.

adam-machiavelli
Mar 8, 2012, 9:25 PM
I asked a planner from MMM Group at the public consultation why they didn't put both lanes on one side of the street, like in Montreal. They said that dividing the lanes reduces the risk of collision between cyclists.

rodionx
Mar 8, 2012, 11:05 PM
This may be the post you're referring to, though the focus of the one paragraph on the general topic is more related to the delivery issue, and there may be another more on the topic of parking:

http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/laurier-segregated-bike-lane-part-i/

Thanks Dado. That's topical, but the Eric Darwin post I was thinking of is here (part of his description of a public meeting on the proposed bike lanes back in May)...

Cycling Progress (http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/cycling-progress/)

"I found myself wonder, where do business owners live? Too many that I know live in the suburbs while having their businesses in the central city. Thus they commute by business-expensed car. They live their evenings and weekends in a suburban lifestyle. It’s not surprising then that they want convenient parking (preferably provided free, by the taxpayer) for their business, as that is how they structure their own lives. I wonder if business owners who live in the core, who walk to work, have the same mind-set that favours car shoppers and car parkers, or if they are more open to the benefits of wider sidewalks and improved cycling facilties as being the cheapest way to get more customers coming by their place of business?

Note: for 20-some years I ran a storefront business. Only a tiny portion of my customers came by car. But 99% of comments about location came from car drivers. I think in many ways its like the weather: people seek safe topics for small talk, chit chat, and “isn’t parking awful” is a safe, seldom-contested tongue flapper. Downtown businesses need accurate data about who shops and what the future can be. They have to ignore the “noise” about parking and focus on improving business. Businesses fail all the time, for a variety of reasons. During construction, it is easy to blame the road work. Post bike track, it will be easy to blame the cyclists.But mostly businesses fail because the owner misjudges the market. Correlation to road work, or cycling tracks, is not causation."

reidjr
Mar 8, 2012, 11:19 PM
I don't work downtown but where i do work if they out a bike lane in it would make it very hard would it be the end of the company no but it would hurt.

Radster
Apr 18, 2012, 3:38 PM
I am surprised that no one has posted the good news in this thread about BIXI in Ottawa.

Last Friday, they announced the addition of 15 new stations and 150 new bikes, this of course is in addition to the 10 stations and 100 bikes which were in operation last year, bringing the total to 25 stations and 250 bikes!

BIXI is already operational as of last Sunday, however, there are a few undecided station locations that remain.

https://capital.bixi.com/about-bixi/news/2012/April/new-capital-bixi-season-rides-in-on-sunday

Admiral Nelson
Apr 18, 2012, 7:00 PM
That's good news. I'd really like to see some BIXI stations at Ottawa U and Carleton.

I imagine it's a catch-22 that expansion of the system must be justified by demand. And demand only comes as the reach of the system grows.

Radster
Apr 18, 2012, 8:17 PM
For those of you interested, you can bike around all you want until November on the BIXI network for a measly $40 if you buy today's Groupon! That is a 50% discount, as a regular season pass is $80.

The Groupon is available for purchase until the end of Friday.

Aylmer
Apr 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
I just got stopped by the Police today for biking on the street. I was in the non-forced-right-turn lane, which, according to the officer, put me in the "middle of the street", where I could have slowed traffic (the little there was). I asked if I should go on the sidewalk instead, but he told me that it was also illegal to ride on the sidewalk.

So, basically, if there isn't a bike path present (and there usually isn't), you have the choice between a traffic ticket or being squeezed between fast traffic and opening car doors.

In Germany, if there is no bike path, Bikes are treated as vehicles and it works marvellously. If the city won't grant us the convenience of reserved lanes, the police can at least grant us the dignity of having more than 20cm of space in the street.

kool maudit
Apr 22, 2012, 1:07 AM
you should hear cab drivers on the subject of the laurier bike lane.

Uhuniau
Apr 22, 2012, 2:57 AM
you should hear cab drivers on the subject of the laurier bike lane.

You should hear everyone else on the subject of cab drivers.

DarkArconio
Apr 22, 2012, 5:04 AM
I just got stopped by the Police today for biking on the street. I was in the non-forced-right-turn lane, which, according to the officer, put me in the "middle of the street", where I could have slowed traffic (the little there was). I asked if I should go on the sidewalk instead, but he told me that it was also illegal to ride on the sidewalk.

I pulled this from the Ontario biking traffic laws website. I imagine the officer stopped you under HTA 147, but I think it would be safe to argue that you were be breaking traffic laws to bike in a right turning lane without intention of turning. Clearly this is the type of issue we need to clarify and resolve for both traffic officers and the public.

"HTA 147 - Slow moving traffic travel on right side
any vehicle moving slower than the normal traffic speed should drive in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable to the right edge of the road except when preparing to turn left or when passing another vehicle. Set fine: $85.00"

"as a bicyclist, you have the same rights and responsibilities to obey all traffic laws as other road users"

Kitchissippi
Apr 22, 2012, 2:48 PM

Which police? I don't think Ottawa cops would do this as this is quite normal to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gatineau police have a different way of thinking. Quebec traffic laws have a few strange twists when it comes to cyclists.

Dado
May 15, 2012, 9:31 PM
Three collisions involving cyclists in less than an hour:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/15/ottawa-cyclists-struck-three-in-40-minutes.html

Not much detail as to how the collisions occurred, though some of it is a bit suggestive (one occurred outside a Tim Horton's south of the Hunt Club and Prince of Wales intersection). What is notable though is that they all occurred on major suburban arterials.

Cre47
May 23, 2012, 11:01 PM
Some fringe association, circulating a petition against the cycling lanes on Laurier. What a bunch of whiners!

Article is in French though.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2012/05/23/011-piste-cyclable-petition.shtml

Nepean
May 24, 2012, 2:10 PM
Some fringe association, circulating a petition against the cycling lanes on Laurier. What a bunch of whiners!

Article is in French though.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2012/05/23/011-piste-cyclable-petition.shtml

I'm a big supporter of the Laurier bike lanes. In fact, if it were up to me, I would push to have the bike path system expanded as much as possible throughout the city. However, I am concerned that Mayor Watson has dealt with this particular situation poorly, and that all of the good work in terms of cycling could be undermined.

The Sun chain is already defending those opposed to the Laurier cycling lanes: see http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/23/furey-city-unresponsive-to-bike-lane-concerns. I agree that Watson should continue to defend the City's overall vision of having more bike paths in the City. However, he also needs to engage with his critics on some level, or he risks a backlash.

My concern is that the roughly 2,000 people who signed the petition against the bike lanes now have an axe to grind against the Mayor. Create enough of these political axes, and the door opens for an anti-bike mayoral candidate a-la-Rob-Ford. Remember what Rob Ford said when he became Mayor, "The war on the car is over." Then, with this belligerent attitude, he proceeded to preside over the gong show that is currently Toronto City Hall.

In my view, Ottawa is moving in the right direction in regard to cycling. However, if our Mayor does not start engaging with his critics directly, then he risks creating an audience for a candidate like Larry O'Brien that pushes for pro-car, anti-bike, suburban-mindset policies.

jaydog0212
May 24, 2012, 2:13 PM
I'm a big supporter of the Laurier bike lanes. In fact, if it were up to me, I would push to have the bike path system expanded as much as possible throughout the city. However, I am concerned that Mayor Watson has dealt with this particular situation poorly, and that all of the good work in terms of cycling could be undermined.

The Sun chain is already defending those opposed to the Laurier cycling lanes: see http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/23/furey-city-unresponsive-to-bike-lane-concerns. I agree that Watson should continue to defend the City's overall vision of having more bike paths in the City. However, he also needs to engage with his critics on some level, or he risks a backlash.

My concern is that the roughly 2,000 people who signed the petition against the bike lanes now have an axe to grind against the Mayor. Create enough of these political axes, and the door opens for an anti-bike mayoral candidate a-la-Rob-Ford. Remember what Rob Ford said when he became Mayor, "The war on the car is over." Then, with this belligerent attitude, he proceeded to preside over the gong show that is currently Toronto City Hall.

In my view, Ottawa is moving in the right direction in regard to cycling. However, if our Mayor does not start engaging with his critics directly, then he risk creating an audience for for a candidate like Larry O'Brien that pushes for pro-car, anti-bike, suburban-mindset policies.

While i think its good to have bike lanes if you go to far with a pro cycling agenda your going to have more issues there has to be some give and take by both sides.

J.OT13
May 24, 2012, 2:39 PM
I always thought we would have been better off waiting for the Subway to then build bike lanes on Albert/Slater, but Laurier is working fine as it is.

Funny thing; one of the opposed condo dwellers told the news (think it was CTV) yesterday that she was not opposed to the bike lanes per say, but only in its "current configuration". What the hell does that mean? NIMBY? Ship them the next street over? Have bike lanes but not separated, not taking car lanes and not taking parking spots?

:whatthefuck:

BTW, I agree that Watson isn't handling the situation well. In fact, he blows doesn’t at handling opposition wherever it may come from. He never has any arguments; he just tells everyone their idiots. Look at his handling of the 4th LRT station, Lansdowne, any time a member of the public shows up at City Council meeting to oppose or suggest improvements on projects (note Watson’s behaviour against David Jeans and his cronies or the time someone suggested a commuter rail system (MOOSE) to complement the OLRT back in July). I was shocked he took his shrinking city council defeat that easily.
How do NIMBYs not realize that their opposition to absolutely everything takes away their credibility?

Dado
May 24, 2012, 4:31 PM
I always thought we would have been better off waiting for the Subway to then build bike lanes on Albert/Slater, but Laurier is working fine as it is.

Funny thing; one of the opposed condo dwellers told the news (think it was CTV) yesterday that she was not opposed to the bike lanes per say, but only in its "current configuration". What the hell does that mean? NIMBY? Ship them the next street over? Have bike lanes but not separated, not taking car lanes and not taking parking spots?

:whatthefuck:

They could put the bike lanes down the centre of the street, with separation barriers. That way there would be no real loss of loading space nor would accesses be directly restricted, but of course it sets up a need for cars to do U-turns and would possibly make it more challenging for cyclists to access and leave the bike lanes. Besides the obvious issue of unfamiliarity to all concerned, starting and terminating the lanes becomes a problem in and of itself.

The more basic problem that we face and that no one seems to have realized is that our downtown street widths really aren't quite enough to do bike lanes well on a two-way street configuration where the street also has to serve loading functions. I realize there's a fad in urban planning right now to convert one-ways to two-ways, but in so doing we actually end up constraining our options for allocating space to alternative forms of transport.

I think one-ways have developed a bad reputation because the reason most of them came into being in North America was to increase car traffic flows, but that need not be the case. If there are two parallel two-way streets, they will typically each have one traffic lane per direction and a parking/loading lane on either side (which can double as a turn lane or bulb-out at intersections) along with a modest width sidewalk. In other words, there are two traffic lanes per direction. If they are combined into a one-way couplet though, the loading/parking lanes can be maintained but the total street capacity can be reduced to just one lane per direction. That freed up space can be used for bike lanes, wider sidewalks or bus lanes that weren't feasible space-wise before.

BTW, I agree that Watson isn't handling the situation well. In fact, he blows doesn’t at handling opposition wherever it may come from. He never has any arguments; he just tells everyone their idiots. Look at his handling of the 4th LRT station, Lansdowne, any time a member of the public shows up at City Council meeting to oppose or suggest improvements on projects (note Watson’s behaviour against David Jeans and his cronies or the time someone suggested a commuter rail system (MOOSE) to complement the OLRT back in July). I was shocked he took his shrinking city council defeat that easily.

Whether I agree with Watson or not on any particular issue, I am really starting to dislike the way he goes about dealing with opposition. It's as if he spent the time between quitting as a minister of the Ontario Crown and becoming mayor of Ottawa apprenticing from Stephen Harper and spending too much time with John Baird. As you say, there are never any supporting arguments (beyond the facile), just bluster.

McC
Jun 18, 2012, 8:39 PM
Just noticed that the Wellington West BIA's website has nice, subtle, but pointed counter to the the anti bike mentality we've been hearing from businesses on Laurier, etc.:
http://www.wellingtonwest.ca/
clicking "we like bikes" brings you to this "bike-friendly guide to Wellington West" in PDF:
http://www.wellingtonwest.ca/assets/bikeguide_digital_small.pdf

McC
Aug 28, 2012, 1:36 PM
Darwin on the survey work for the northward extension of the O-Train MUP. as usual with Ottawa, we're finding a way to make it as complicated and costly as possibly today, maximizing tree removal and required construction in order to make some hypothetical not-quite-planned-for future transit infrastructure (that could be a generation or more away) "simpler" to build.... only I'm sure we'll find (if)when we go to build those transit assets that the space left wasn't appropriate, that the MUP is in the wrong location, that, that, that, and everything will have to be ripped up again to do something even more costly and complicated.

le sigh.

http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/construction-on-new-west-side-bike-path-begins/

J.OT13
Aug 28, 2012, 8:14 PM
Darwin on the survey work for the northward extension of the O-Train MUP. as usual with Ottawa, we're finding a way to make it as complicated and costly as possibly today, maximizing tree removal and required construction in order to make some hypothetical not-quite-planned-for future transit infrastructure (that could be a generation or more away) "simpler" to build.... only I'm sure we'll find (if)when we go to build those transit assets that the space left wasn't appropriate, that the MUP is in the wrong location, that, that, that, and everything will have to be ripped up again to do something even more costly and complicated.

le sigh.

http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/construction-on-new-west-side-bike-path-begins/

In response to your comment, he raised a good point about how they do the total opposite when it comes to building bus Transitways; built for "easy conversion", yet we have to tear the whole thing out and rebuild, in some cases, even the stations. As I have said before, I advocate cancelling all BRT extensions in order to invest every single capital transit projects into proper rail based rapid transit.

waterloowarrior
Oct 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
East-West Bikeway – Churchill Avenue to St. Laurent Boulevard
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/ew_bikeway/index.htm

Champagne – O-Train Corridor Pathway
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/champagne/index.htm

Hartwell Locks Bicycle Channel
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/island_park/index.html
This project consists of the installation of a bicycle channel on the stairwell on the east side of the canal at Hartwell Locks.

Prince of Wales at Meadowlands
Bicycle lanes exist along Prince of Wales Drive north of the intersection of Meadowlands Drive/Hog’s Back Road. They are discontinued on the south leg of the intersection. The proposed project will complete bicycle lane continuity by modifying pavement marking and shifting curbs at the intersection and approaches enough to add standard sized bicycle lanes.

Stonehaven Drive – Eagleson Road to Steeple Chase
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/stonehaven_eagleson_steeple/index.htm
Project description
Road modifications along this project will create additional turning lanes, additional through lanes, and a bike lane in each direction along Stonehaven Drive. New concrete sidewalks will also be built on both sides along Stonehaven Drive between Eagleson Road and Bridlewood Drive as well as a new entrance to the Church of Nazarene. A single lane roundabout at Stonehaven Drive and Bridgestone Drive/Steeple Chase Drive will also be constructed.

Timelines
Summer 2012 – start of construction
Fall/Winter 2012 – substantial completion

Budget
$2.65 Million

agl
Oct 11, 2012, 5:09 PM
East-West Bikeway – Churchill Avenue to St. Laurent Boulevard
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/ew_bikeway/index.htm

I think it's fantastic the city is filling in gaps in cycling paths across the city, though I find it interesting they are proceeding with some aspects of this project while the Laurier Avenue segregated bike lanes are still in a "pilot" phase. I support the route, but wonder if there'll be some backlash from members of the public against the segregated lanes who will see this as a decision already have been made without even finishing the pilot project. Or did I miss something and there was an annoucement already that the lanes on Laurier are here to stay?

I hope it makes for a smooth transition from Laurier to Albert across Bronson, at least one can hope...

waterloowarrior
Oct 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
^good points.. based on the info posted recently though, it looks like they aren't looking at segregated lanes east of downtown http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planningprojectsreports/construction/projects/ew_bikeway/index.htm

Dado
Oct 24, 2012, 8:47 PM
I'm a little surprised the fatal collision on Bronson last week hasn't made it here yet... as it happens, by coincidence it occurred shortly after the conclusion of a talk at Carleton University on sustainable transport in Europe, particularly Germany and the city of Freiburg.

This article goes into some depth about that section of Bronson.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/observer/Student+cycling+death+illustrates+precarious+stretch+Bronson/7422312/story.html

Student’s cycling death illustrates precarious stretch of Bronson

Memorial gathering for Krista Johnson scheduled for Monday morning

By Matthew Pearson and David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen October 22, 2012

OTTAWA — The tragic death of a Carleton University student is raising concerns about a dangerous stretch of Bronson Avenue.

Police say Krista Johnson, 27, died Thursday night when the bicycle she was cycling northbound in the southbound lanes was struck by a car travelling south.

Flags on the Carleton campus have been lowered and a students will gather to remember her on Monday morning from 8:30 to 10:30.

She is the fourth cyclist to die on city streets this year. In her honour, there is now a ghost bike locked to a light standard near the scene of the accident.

Johnson’s death has illustrated again just how precarious the stretch of Bronson Avenue between Holmwood and Sunnyside can be, especially for those riding on two wheels.

“Let’s face it, it’s a busy highway,” said Hans Moor, president of Citizens for Safe Cycling.

The central problem is the Bronson bridge, which is at the north end of the expressway part of Bronson, where northbound drivers are (if traffic allows) still happily speeding along until they reach the narrower, more-often-clogged part just beyond.

It’s also where drivers heading southbound hit the gas as the road opens up before them.

The bridge has bike lanes, but they intertwine with turn lanes onto the Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth parkways. Northbound, cyclists are supposed to cut across a turn lane if they’re going to stay on Bronson; southbound, drivers cut across the bike lane to get to the turnoff to Colonel By.

For northbound cyclists, the road is also very steeply uphill in that section, so a cyclist has to handle the northbound crossover from almost a standing start, looking over his or her shoulder as the bike lane runs out and cars whiz up and past.

If you should happen to be a cyclist arriving on Bronson from the wrong direction (that is, from the east when you’re planning to turn south, or from the west if you’re planning to turn north), it can be very hard to get to the correct side.

According to Google Maps, it’s 700 metres between one set of traffic lights at Sunnyside Avenue and the next-most-northerly set at Holmwood, and almost the whole way Bronson has a wide raised median, so deking across during a break in traffic is extremely difficult. Your line of sight up and over the bridge isn’t great, and you have to dismount and run for it on foot because of the median, across something like six wide lanes.

If you’re biking north out of Carleton University, a couple of these problems combine. There’s a northeasterly path that saves you some time versus going east to Sunnyside and then north on Bronson, and also saves you a chunk of the uphill climb, because it’s actually east and down to Sunnyside and then north and up on Bronson.

The trouble with the northeasterly path is it spits you out onto southbound Bronson, just before the bridge, with no legal options for continuing north.

On any given day, you’ll see many cyclists riding on the sidewalk over the bridge and along Bronson until they reach the lights at Holmwood, where many cross to the other side and ride in the same direction as vehicle traffic.

It is also common, particularly when there’s less traffic, to see cyclists going the wrong way in the bikes lane, which is more considerate of pedestrians on the sidewalks, but obviously more dangerous for the cyclists.

Carleton student Emily Hopwood bikes from her home in Chinatown to the school every day and opts for the sidewalk option, “which I know is not what you’re supposed to do, but feels safer.”

“It’s definitely a tricky area,” she said.

Moor visited the area on Saturday afternoon and watched as several cyclists rode by in both directions on sidewalks, many without helmets, while others biked on the road alongside vehicle traffic — some of which was moving by at a steady clip.

Moor said he was also concerned about southbound drivers who straddle the bike lane or cut across it at the last minute to take the Colonel By exit instead of entering the turnoff where it begins just passed Holmwood.

Although he welcomes recent investments in cycling infrastructure made by both the City of Ottawa and the National Capital Commission, Moor said his group continues to push for a network of safe cycling routes.

That includes segregated bike lanes, quiet neighbourhood streets and, perhaps someday, a bi-directional bridge across the canal for people on bikes.

“The most important thing is that you have a safe network, and what the city has now is bits and pieces of infrastructure, but it’s not always connected,” Moor said.

Although the two-metre-wide gravel path that leads from Bronson southbound onto Carleton’s campus is popular with cyclists, a university spokeswoman said the school recommends cyclists follow the Highway Traffic Act and use designated bike lanes, not pedestrian paths.

waterloowarrior
Oct 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
I can think of a lot of examples of these kinds of gaps... multi-use paths that change into sidewalks, being directed to unsafe crossings etc. You would never end a local road facing oncoming traffic on a major arterial.

Kitchissippi
Oct 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
Interesting article on bike routes (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/10/dedicated-bike-lanes-can-cut-cycling-injuries-half/3654/), citing research done in Vancouver and Toronto

Capital Shaun
Oct 25, 2012, 2:24 AM
I can think of a lot of examples of these kinds of gaps... multi-use paths that change into sidewalks, being directed to unsafe crossings etc. You would never end a local road facing oncoming traffic on a major arterial.

What I don't get is why almost all our MUPs dump bikes into cross walks. :koko: Lets be honest, very rarely will a cyclist dismount to cross the road in those crosswalk. (I commute by bike year round and I sure don't.)

Dado
Oct 25, 2012, 1:52 PM
I'm amazed any engineers sign off on these multi-use paths dumping into crosswalks at all.

The design is basically outside the law because there is no legal way for cyclists to use them as cyclists. No facility would ever be designed for any other class of vehicle that ends up in a pedestrian-only crosswalk.

Since a pathway meets the basic requirements of being a "roadway" under the Highway Traffic Act, to be designing roadways that dump into crosswalks is legally dubious at best.

McC
Oct 25, 2012, 1:59 PM
and don't forget curving the path off of its straight line route and running it between a bus shelter and the curb like the Albert St MUP does repeatedly, too. This is another crazyness that we have to put up with. Why the asphalt MUP couldn't continues in a straight line behind the bus shelter while the concrete 'sidewalk' branches off to the bus stop is well beyond my amazing powers of deducement; how much would that "extra" infrastructure cost? I bet a little less than the dangling dildoes on the Somerset Viaduct lights (that just ruin their nice clean lines).

This is not a city issue, but the NCC Ottawa River Pathway does an awful thing too, when it crosses Booth: eastbound traffic naturally lines up around the crosswalk button (placebo) which is located on the north side of the crosswalk, so this puts you to the wrong side of the westbound traffic, which lines up to the south. So everyone has to cross paths with people going the other way on their right. It's not a small thing either, in the evening rush hour, when it can take a couple of minutes for the lights to change, you can see more than a dozen bikes and peds crossing at the same time in each direction. Can be a real mess.

phil235
Oct 25, 2012, 2:53 PM
A petition to make cycling on Bronson safer:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/no-more-cycling-deaths-in-ottawa-make-bronson-safer

Not sure about the bridge idea, but the intent is certainly good. There are surely plenty of less-expensive ways to make that stretch safer, given the amount of space available.

I never understood why Bronson needs to be six lanes through a major park and university campus. With the number of students crossing on foot (and not always with the lights), and the average speed of cars in the 80 km range, I'm amazed that there aren't more incidents there.

Dado
Oct 25, 2012, 3:09 PM
This is not a city issue, but the NCC Ottawa River Pathway does an awful thing too, when it crosses Booth: eastbound traffic naturally lines up around the crosswalk button (placebo) which is located on the north side of the crosswalk, so this puts you to the wrong side of the westbound traffic, which lines up to the south. So everyone has to cross paths with people going the other way on their right. It's not a small thing either, in the evening rush hour, when it can take a couple of minutes for the lights to change, you can see more than a dozen bikes and peds crossing at the same time in each direction. Can be a real mess.

That intersection (and others like it, but it's the worst due to volume) provides a contrast to what the Dutch do at intersections. The pathways on either side of Booth up until they get within a dozen or so metres of Booth are more-or-less in line with each other, following as they are the shoreline. The natural thing to do would have been to leave it that way and provide a proper intersection between the pathway and Booth. That's what the Dutch would do. But here we divert the pathway towards the nearest intersection, creating a legally dubious confused mess of an intersection.

Where the Dutch have bikeways running parallel to roadways (which is a lot of them), what they do at intersections is divert the bikeways away from the road-road intersection to provide some separation between the road-road intersection and the bikeway-road intersections.

Dado
Oct 25, 2012, 3:20 PM
A petition to make cycling on Bronson safer:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/no-more-cycling-deaths-in-ottawa-make-bronson-safer

Not sure about the bridge idea, but the intent is certainly good. There are surely plenty of less-expensive ways to make that stretch safer, given the amount of space available.

I never understood why Bronson needs to be six lanes through a major park and university campus. With the number of students crossing on foot (and not always with the lights), and the average speed of cars in the 80 km range, I'm amazed that there aren't more incidents there.

I think the two outside lanes could be completely removed between Holmwood/Findlay and Sunnyside. The separate diverging lanes on the bridge for access to Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth via Findlay just aren't needed. That space would then be available for other uses, removing the need to build separate bridge structures.

The on-ramp lane from Colonel By to southbound Bronson, which then exits at Sunnyside to the Carleton campus, is also a bit wild. Just remove that outside lane (and/or convert it to a cycling facility) and make drivers from Colonel By turn onto Bronson into what is now the centre lane. The same could be done with the outside lane in the northbound direction from Sunnyside northwards.

The overall effect would be to pacify Bronson a bit between the Canal and the campus, making the transition from constrained urban arterial to suburban expressway a bit more prolonged while providing cyclists to/from Carleton with more usable options.

TransitZilla
Oct 25, 2012, 3:47 PM
I think the two outside lanes could be completely removed between Holmwood/Findlay and Sunnyside. The separate diverging lanes on the bridge for access to Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth via Findlay just aren't needed. That space would then be available for other uses, removing the need to build separate bridge structures.

The on-ramp lane from Colonel By to southbound Bronson, which then exits at Sunnyside to the Carleton campus, is also a bit wild. Just remove that outside lane (and/or convert it to a cycling facility) and make drivers from Colonel By turn onto Bronson into what is now the centre lane. The same could be done with the outside lane in the northbound direction from Sunnyside northwards.

The overall effect would be to pacify Bronson a bit between the Canal and the campus, making the transition from constrained urban arterial to suburban expressway a bit more prolonged while providing cyclists to/from Carleton with more usable options.

I agree. I really don't think the long turning lanes across the bridge are necessary. Especially if the southbound lane was removed, a 2-way cycle track could be implemented across the bridge. If the intersection of Bronson/Findlay was signalized, cyclists wanting to head to the Glebe or downtown could head east on Findlay and north on Craig. I'm not sure how to help cyclists wanting to head to Preston or Chinatown- maybe a bike ramp in the stairway at the NW corner of the bridge that leads down to Queen Elizabeth?

Also I think the ramp terminals for the on/off ramps to Colonel By should be realigned so that they are T-intersections, rather than Queensway-style ramps.

I signed the petition mentioned above and received the following e-mail from David Chernushenko:

Dear Concerned Citizen,

You recently signed a petition to Ottawa City Council calling for urgent attention to the safety of Bronson Avenue, in particular the Bronson Bridge over the Rideau Canal. I thank you for writing to share your concerns and specific suggestions. As Capital Ward councillor and as a regular cyclist and driver, I am very familiar with this road and bridge, so I want to respond to you with a detailed reply.

I share your sorrow and distress over the accident that took the life of Carleton student Krista Johnson. Any road accident, whether fatal or not, is one too many.

And I want to assure you that I am already bringing City Council and the City’s staff together in an effort to make this stretch of road safer for everyone. This situation can and must be improved.

I will bring a motion to the Transportation Committee to conduct an Operational Safety Review of Bronson Avenue between Holmwood Avenue and the Rideau River to examine the following issues:

• Traffic speed (both the posted limits and their enforcement)
• The geometry of lanes on the Bronson Bridge
• The interaction of vehicles at on- and off-ramps
• Connections with existing routes used by cyclists and pedestrians
• The Bronson/Sunnyside intersection and the signalled crossing between Carleton University and Brewer Park (both sites of a number of accidents over the past few years)

The Operational Safety Review could potentially include recommendations for:

• Speed limit reductions and increased enforcement along Bronson
• Improved bicycle lanes and road markings
• Clear signage indicating who has the right of way
• Special contra-flow bicycle lanes allowing cyclists to get over the bridge without crossing Bronson at this dangerous location. Such lanes would ideally be separate from the sidewalks, but if that is not possible, cyclists would be required to yield right of way to pedestrians at all times.

I will be working very closely with City’s traffic and cycling staff and members of the Transportation Committee to ensure that this review is set in motion as soon as possible, and that it is conducted in close consultation with cyclists, pedestrians and drivers. Everyone has an interest in safer roads and can contribute ideas to making them safer.

In this vein, I have already set in motion a process to work with student associations, the Carleton University administration and adjoining community associations to build a common vision for a much safer traffic environment around the university and in the Bronson corridor.

On your specific proposal that the City build a new cycling/pedestrian bridge at this location, I unfortunately do not believe this is a viable solution. One reason is that a new bridge would take several years to build (even with near-instant approval and funding). More critically, such a bridge would have to be built on one side or the other of the existing bridge, which means that many users — depending on their direction of travel and destination — would still have to cross Bronson Avenue to use it.

If you do not agree with my assessment, I invite you to look at a map and identify where such a bridge might start and end, keeping in mind the very long approach needed to make such a bridge accessible for pedestrians, bikes and wheelchairs without being steep. Then plot out the various ways that people might use such a bridge. Personally, I can’t find a practical configuration. While I understand and share your motivation for proposing a new bridge — greater safety and convenience for pedestrians and cyclists — I believe we can achieve those goals more effectively and much sooner by modifying the existing bridge, roadway, signage/road markings and speed limits. I hope you will work with me to identify and implement these improvements.

Everyone — politicians and city staff, drivers, cyclists and pedestrians — has a role to play in reducing the number of accidents on our roads. As cyclists, we can take greater responsibility for our own safety. I am especially alarmed by the number of people I see riding in the dark with no lights or visible reflectors. We all want to reach our destination as quickly and as conveniently as possible, but we must exercise extreme caution because our own and other road users’ mistakes can have tragic consequences. Please ride safely.

Best regards,

David Chernushenko
Councillor, Capital Ward / Conseiller, Quartier Capitale
613-580-2487
david.chernushenko@ottawa.ca

phil235
Oct 25, 2012, 4:32 PM

I think those are all very logical ideas, and I doubt that the impact on traffic would be significant, given the bottleneck that already exists going north.

Personally, I'd like to see a lane removed all the way down to the next bridge, and the speed limit brought down to 50-60. I think the impact on traffic woud be minimal, pedestrian crossings would be so much safer, and the extra space could be used for bike lanes or possibly improved transit facilities. You'd still have a cycling issue when you hit Holmwood, but at that point cyclists could be diverted into the Glebe.

As a side note, how about planting some trees through that stretch? There is the opportunity for a grand boulevard framed by the university and the park, but at the moment it has a barren feel to it.

phil235
Oct 25, 2012, 4:35 PM
I signed the petition mentioned above and received the following e-mail from David Chernushenko:

I think Chernushenko is right. Practically speaking, no bridge is coming for years, so more immediate improvements should be the focus.

Kitchissippi
Dec 13, 2012, 1:26 AM
Nice to see the city acknowledging and promoting cycling's tourism potential:

TransitZilla
Feb 8, 2013, 2:23 PM
From today's Citizen, proposed changes to Bronson. An open house is planned at the Carleton Unicentre on February 27th.

http://postmediaottawacitizen.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/0208bronson_web.jpg

(article: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Changes+coming+Bronson+Avenue/7937524/story.html)

phil235
Feb 8, 2013, 2:38 PM
From today's Citizen, proposed changes to Bronson. An open house is planned at the Carleton Unicentre on February 27th.

http://postmediaottawacitizen.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/0208bronson_web.jpg

(article: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Changes+coming+Bronson+Avenue/7937524/story.html)

All very sensible ideas. I particularly like the intersection replacing the Colonel By on-ramps. Long term, they need to narrow Bronson in front of Carling into a regular boulevard.

gjhall
Feb 8, 2013, 2:48 PM
All very sensible ideas. I particularly like the intersection replacing the Colonel By on-ramps. Long term, they need to narrow Bronson in front of Carling into a regular boulevard.

Couldn't agree more. This is surprisingly sensible.

Catenary
Feb 8, 2013, 7:23 PM

The Open House will be in the Carleton UniCentre Atrium (4th Floor) on the 27th 6:30-8:30.

As a member of one of the "working groups" that was consulted I have to say that I'm impressed with how much the city is willing to do. I can't get into the details of the plan since some of them have changed since I saw a copy of the drawings but the bridge will likely be narrowed to 2 lanes each way with the bike lanes having large buffers, since the turn lanes are no longer necessary. The purpose of the crosswalk is to funnel bikes and pedestrians coming from the Carleton pathway across the street, and there will be contra flow provisions between the path and that crosswalk. This solved the problem that got Krista killed.

We were only consulted on Bronson at the Bridge and Bronson/Brewer, I have no idea for what the plan for Sunnyside is.

Dado
Feb 9, 2013, 1:04 AM
All very sensible ideas. I particularly like the intersection replacing the Colonel By on-ramps.

De-rampifying the access to Colonel By makes sense, but I'm not sure they need to turn it into a traffic signal-controlled intersection. It could just be turned into a right in-right out arrangement. Frankly the last thing I would want as a cyclist going northbound climbing the hill would be to have to stop at a traffic light, and in the southbound direction it would suck to have to stop on a downhill.

I suppose there is some utility in allowing cyclists from Carleton to cross Bronson at this point, but if they remove the ramp lanes on the bridge they'd have enough space to install a bidirectional bikeway on the west side of the bridge and sort out the issue of crossing Bronson by relocating the Holmwood intersection traffic signal to Findlay.

Long term, they need to narrow Bronson in front of Carling into a regular boulevard.

Not sure how they'd do that short of expropriating tonnes of properties on the east side of Bronson or by putting two lanes of Bronson into a tunnel.

Capital Shaun
Feb 9, 2013, 4:12 AM
Frankly the last thing I would want as a cyclist going northbound climbing the hill would be to have to stop at a traffic light, and in the southbound direction it would suck to have to stop on a downhill.

Bicycling though merge lanes can be nerve racking and removing them is a good idea. But factoring in hills when designing bicycle friendly infrastructure I would consider a 'nice to have' as a cyclist myself. We have very few hills that are that steep (think San Francisco steep).

Catenary
Feb 9, 2013, 7:37 PM
De-rampifying the access to Colonel By makes sense, but I'm not sure they need to turn it into a traffic signal-controlled intersection. It could just be turned into a right in-right out arrangement. Frankly the last thing I would want as a cyclist going northbound climbing the hill would be to have to stop at a traffic light, and in the southbound direction it would suck to have to stop on a downhill.

I suppose there is some utility in allowing cyclists from Carleton to cross Bronson at this point, but if they remove the ramp lanes on the bridge they'd have enough space to install a bidirectional bikeway on the west side of the bridge and sort out the issue of crossing Bronson by relocating the Holmwood intersection traffic signal to Findlay.

Not sure how they'd do that short of expropriating tonnes of properties on the east side of Bronson or by putting two lanes of Bronson into a tunnel.

It's not a signal controlled intersection, just a signalized crosswalk.

There will be a bidirectional bike lane between the path to Carleton and the intersection, and there is enough room to continue it across the bridge but not all the way to Holmwood. I don't think there's enough cross traffic to demand a signal at Findlay and it would be quite close to Holmwood.

Dado
Feb 10, 2013, 1:05 AM
:previous:

Well that's why I'd move the traffic signal to Findlay from Holmwood; I wouldn't want both to have signals. Given that Findlay (unlike Holmwood) doesn't continue to Bank, the net effect would be to distribute more of the traffic between the two streets.

Either that or someone decides to expropriate enough land along Bronson between the two to continue the bikeway to Holmwood. That would be four houses to Holmwood and six if all the way to Lakeview.

phil235
Feb 10, 2013, 1:49 AM

I think that the trade-off of being able to cross Bronson at the bridge is worth having the signal. The hill is less of a concern that the current impenetrable barrier.

I mis-typed my last line. I mean that Bronson should be narrowed from 6 to 4 lanes in where it passes in front of Carleton, so that the "parkway" portion of the street only begins at the Dunbar bridge. That would leave lots of room for cycling facilities in that stretch.

Catenary
Feb 10, 2013, 5:11 AM

Well that's why I'd move the traffic signal to Findlay from Holmwood; I wouldn't want both to have signals. Given that Findlay (unlike Holmwood) doesn't continue to Bank, the net effect would be to distribute more of the traffic between the two streets.

Either that or someone decides to expropriate enough land along Bronson between the two to continue the bikeway to Holmwood. That would be four houses to Holmwood and six if all the way to Lakeview.

Right now, Findlay acts as a ramp funneling traffic off Bronson and down to Queen Elizabeth, and Holmwood handles local traffic going the opposite direction, essentially making a one way system (although they're both two way, Findlay is pretty narrow and with parking along the sides the first block functions as a one way street most of the time). Holmwood handles the local traffic going the other direction by virtue of it having the light to permit left turns.

Moving the light to Findlay would cram all the traffic from both directions down a narrow residential street. It also doesn't necessarily help cyclists who now have to mix with traffic doing rights on red onto Findlay, further clogging everything up. The cycle route also runs towards Bronson on Holmwood and away from it on Findlay, so putting all the cars, and all the bikes on Findlay wouldn't really make anything better.

I think that the trade-off of being able to cross Bronson at the bridge is worth having the signal. The hill is less of a concern that the current impenetrable barrier.

I mis-typed my last line. I mean that Bronson should be narrowed from 6 to 4 lanes in where it passes in front of Carleton, so that the "parkway" portion of the street only begins at the Dunbar bridge. That would leave lots of room for cycling facilities in that stretch.

The city has made it clear that that is NOT going to happen. Nope. Traffic needs to flow Ya'know.

phil235
Feb 11, 2013, 4:49 AM
The city has made it clear that that is NOT going to happen. Nope. Traffic needs to flow Ya'know.

Not surprising. I still don't get it. The 6-lane configuration is only needed for about 4 hours a day, making it an unsafe thruway the other 20. And even at busy times, that curb lane is usually far under capacity.

Just once I'd like to see Ottawa consider reducing infrastructure where it is clearly overbuilt. Did the City provide any explanation for its position? For instance, have they produced data on how much time would be added to trip down Bronson if it were narrowed to 4 lanes?

If narrowing is a non-starter, I'd at least like to see trees planted and other techniques implemented to visually narrow the road and control the speeds to some extent.

Catenary
Feb 11, 2013, 5:42 AM
Not surprising. I still don't get it. The 6-lane configuration is only needed for about 4 hours a day, making it an unsafe thruway the other 20. And even at busy times, that curb lane is usually far under capacity.

Just once I'd like to see Ottawa consider reducing infrastructure where it is clearly overbuilt. Did the City provide any explanation for its position? For instance, have they produced data on how much time would be added to trip down Bronson if it were narrowed to 4 lanes?

If narrowing is a non-starter, I'd at least like to see trees planted and other techniques implemented to visually narrow the road and control the speeds to some extent.

Especially since the curb lanes are basically just long weave ramps anyways.

And no trees. That came up, response was that they would be unsafe, and that there is no proof that they would slow things down. Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BUyWVg1xI

I hope to push bushes in the median as an acceptable compromise, since launching your car into oncoming traffic is bad enough, taking out some bushes on the way would be negligible, and it won't affect snow clearing etc.

From what I hear the "Gateway Project" may include some trees though.

And the funny thing is Chernushenko doesn't really care is the cars have to move slower, since the people affected aren't the ones from his ward!

Radster
Apr 23, 2013, 1:41 PM
Good half price deal on a BIXI season pass on TUANGO, ends today, so be quick if you're interested! This year, 5 more stations and 50 more bikes. Getting better coverage :)

http://www.tuango.ca/en/deal/ottawa/40-for-a-one-year-subscription-to-the-capital-BIXI-bike-sharing-program?tuExpandedDetails=true

gjhall
Apr 23, 2013, 3:36 PM
Good half price deal on a BIXI season pass on TUANGO, ends today, so be quick if you're interested! This year, 5 more stations and 50 more bikes. Getting better coverage :)

http://www.tuango.ca/en/deal/ottawa/40-for-a-one-year-subscription-to-the-capital-BIXI-bike-sharing-program?tuExpandedDetails=true

Thanks for sharing that!

Radster
Apr 24, 2013, 6:01 PM
No problem. They extended the offer until the end of today.

I have my own bike, but I am still getting this one, for those occasions when I don't want to risk taking my bike somewhere like to work where there is lots of bike theft, to the Market at night, etc.

umbria27
May 8, 2013, 1:10 AM
Apparently the bike/recreation path alongside the O-train track opened today.

http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/pressco.pl?&Elist=18396&lang=en

From what I can determine it's supposed to go from Carling to the Ottawa river parkway, but it only comes as far south as Young for now. This should be a much better option than Booth or Preston. It's not clear to me what the crossing of Somerset, Albert & the Ottawa River Parkway are like. Hopefully there are tunnels rather than stairs.

Luker
May 8, 2013, 1:46 PM

From what I can determine it's supposed to go from Carling to the Ottawa river parkway, but it only comes as far south as Young for now. This should be a much better option than Booth or Preston. It's not clear to me what the crossing of Somerset, Albert & the Ottawa River Parkway are like. Hopefully there are tunnels rather than stairs.

The Multi-User Pathway (MUP) is open for the entire route from the parkway to Carling. The path follows the O-train trench (old CPR tracks) under neath the Somerset and Albert Viaducts.

TransitZilla
May 8, 2013, 3:17 PM

There is an existing stonedust path south of Young but it's planned to be upgraded at some point.

The path goes under Somerset via a new tunnel, under Albert right by Bayview Station, and under the ORP beside the rail line.

umbria27
May 8, 2013, 4:07 PM
There is an existing stonedust path south of Young but it's planned to be upgraded at some point.

The path goes under Somerset via a new tunnel, under Albert right by Bayview Station, and under the ORP beside the rail line.

That's fantastic. I'll be adding to the traffic, starting today.

Catenary
May 10, 2013, 12:03 AM

There is an existing gravel path from where the new one ends to Carling (comes out at the O-Train Station).

The path runs through a tunnel under Somerset with either stairs+bike channel or longer ramp up to the Somerset Viaduct. The path runs under Albert adjacent to the O-Train station, and uses the Bayview station ramps for access to the road (which is poor because there would be a fine for cycling from the road to the path over OCTranspo property, and is signed as such). The path crosses the ORP under the existing bridge over the tracks to the POW bridge.

rakerman
May 10, 2013, 1:00 AM

There are tunnels or underpasses.
You can see the entire thing from Somerset to the river at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/sets/72157632091802176/

rakerman
May 10, 2013, 1:03 AM
Mark routes you would like on a map.

http://ottawacycling.metroquest.com/

Deadline June 7, 2013

Will be input to the official Cycling Plan.

Crowdsourcing of recommended improvements at:

http://developingottawa.ca/index.php?title=Liveable_Ottawa_Cycling_Survey

waterloowarrior
Jun 28, 2013, 6:04 PM
City staff recommend Laurier segregated bike lanes become permanent! Recommending it be upgraded to a raised cycle track
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6095&doctype=agenda&itemid=302802

Executive Summary
This report summarizes the monitoring program and results for the two-year segregated bicycle lane pilot project that was implemented July 10, 2011 on Laurier Avenue West.

It also provides recommendations for various design improvements that should be implemented over the immediate (2013), short-term (2014-2018) and long-term (post-2018) horizons.

Assumption and Analysis
The results of the monitoring program indicate that the bicycle lanes have achieved their main objectives of significantly increasing bicycle traffic and cycling mode shares within the downtown area. Other key indicators include: improved road safety with fewer reported collisions and fewer near-collisions; minimal impact to motor vehicle operations; parking and loading mitigation opportunities; no impacts to emergency response times; and feedback from cyclists, residents, businesses and other road users.

The immediate (2013) recommendations include minor pavement markings and signage adjustments, particularly between Bronson Avenue and Bay Street to provide additional on-street public parking spaces.

The short-term (2014-2018) recommendations include constructing a raised cycle track in 2014 on the north side of Laurier Avenue between Bronson Avenue and Bay Street as part of the already approved East-West Bikeway project that will also see a new multi-use pathway constructed through the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board lands.

Staff will also review the use of cycling signal lens at intersections along Laurier Avenue and a voluntary signage program for interested private property owners along the corridor.

The long-term (post-2018) recommendations include converting the remaining segregated bicycle lanes to a raised cycle track when Laurier Avenue is reconstructed sometime post-2018 after the Confederation LRT Line opens for service. The reconstruction of the street provides the most cost-effective opportunity for the conversion as numerous catch basins and iron works would need to be coordinated with underground pipes and utilities

Dado
Jun 28, 2013, 7:07 PM

The City apparently can't leave well enough alone. It's not just Laurier, but also apparently the proposed rebuild of Main Street as well.

I can't say I'm at all keen on raised cycle tracks, particularly not the way the City is proposing to do it, which is flush with the sidewalks. This is how the document describes the cycle track-sidewalk separation: "The contrast in materials between the sidewalk and cycle track will be a visual cue to pedestrians and cyclists as to where they should be positioned."

Cycle tracks flush with sidewalks simply become... part of the sidewalk. Groups of pedestrians will inevitably stray onto the cycle track and I'm sure we'll see some cyclists ride onto the sidewalk as well.

Here's a secondary issue: "At all intersections the raised cycle track will transition down to the roadway level outside of the crosswalks."

So a cyclist travelling along the cycle track will dip down to the cross street, presumably to its gutter level, over the camber of the cross street, back down to the gutter level on the other side, and then up again onto the cycle track.

Do the Dutch do this? Do they put bikes up at a different level than the street? Do they put cyclists and pedestrians on the same level? In general, no. So why are we?

How freaking hard is it to take a trip to the Netherlands, rent some bikes, tour around, go talk to some officials dealing with cycling infrastructure and tour around some more, pick up some design manuals, read them, and implement it with only minior changes related to signage? :hell:

I have a feeling that part of what we're seeing is the inevitable pushback from the snowclearing folks at the City: they like flat featureless surfaces, the flatter, bigger and and fewer features, the better. Not only will the big separating curbs be gone, so too will the flexible vertical markers.

The rationale for this change, such as it is, cites "improved accessibility" but I figure what that really means in practise is that the cycle tracks may well become parking/loading spaces (see cyclists riding onto sidewalk...).

waterloowarrior
Jun 28, 2013, 7:35 PM
IT looks like they are similar to these ones in Vancouver http://goo.gl/maps/J3Qnu

Dado
Jun 28, 2013, 9:16 PM
And down the street, we have pedestrians on the cycle track:

http://goo.gl/E5PNn

Now turn around and spot one more.

Q.E.D., as they used to say.

Capital Shaun
Jun 29, 2013, 12:02 AM

The City apparently can't leave well enough alone. It's not just Laurier, but also apparently the proposed rebuild of Main Street as well.

I can't say I'm at all keen on raised cycle tracks, particularly not the way the City is proposing to do it, which is flush with the sidewalks. This is how the document describes the cycle track-sidewalk separation: "The contrast in materials between the sidewalk and cycle track will be a visual cue to pedestrians and cyclists as to where they should be positioned."

Cycle tracks flush with sidewalks simply become... part of the sidewalk. Groups of pedestrians will inevitably stray onto the cycle track and I'm sure we'll see some cyclists ride onto the sidewalk as well.

Here's a secondary issue: "At all intersections the raised cycle track will transition down to the roadway level outside of the crosswalks."

So a cyclist travelling along the cycle track will dip down to the cross street, presumably to its gutter level, over the camber of the cross street, back down to the gutter level on the other side, and then up again onto the cycle track.

Do the Dutch do this? Do they put bikes up at a different level than the street? Do they put cyclists and pedestrians on the same level? In general, no. So why are we?

How freaking hard is it to take a trip to the Netherlands, rent some bikes, tour around, go talk to some officials dealing with cycling infrastructure and tour around some more, pick up some design manuals, read them, and implement it with only minior changes related to signage? :hell:

I have a feeling that part of what we're seeing is the inevitable pushback from the snowclearing folks at the City: they like flat featureless surfaces, the flatter, bigger and and fewer features, the better. Not only will the big separating curbs be gone, so too will the flexible vertical markers.

The rationale for this change, such as it is, cites "improved accessibility" but I figure what that really means in practise is that the cycle tracks may well become parking/loading spaces (see cyclists riding onto sidewalk...).

As someone who does 5000km+ of cycle-commuting a year I agree with you. Making the cycle track flush with the sidewalk simply invites pedestrians to walk in it.

rocketphish
Jul 13, 2013, 1:15 AM
NCC looks to sell Bixi system

Downtown bike-share program still in low gear

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN July 12, 2013 6:10 PM

OTTAWA — The National Capital Commission wants to sell its Bixi bike-share program and is inviting potential bidders to help it come up with terms that will make a sale make sense.

Those could be hard to find.

In its third year now, the Bixi system has 25 stations and 250 bikes in Ottawa and Gatineau, clustered around the tourist core. Members and people willing to pay a premium for one-time use can borrow the sturdy red bikes at any station and drop them off again at any other.

It loses money, says NCC spokesman Jean Wolff: $76,000 on its operations last year. That doesn’t take into account the capital costs of buying new bikes and stations, either: it’s just the cost of running the system day to day. That’s not why the commission is selling out, he said; building a functioning system and then handing it off was the intention from the very beginning.

“It is not covering its costs yet, but there is a steady improvement in number of trips,” Wolff says. “There is increase in the number — small, but the number of regular subscribers is increasing. The number of locals using it is increasing.”

That last part is crucial if bike-sharing is to have a future here. Some cities with much larger programs use bike-sharing services like Bixi as integral parts of their transportation systems, though it typically takes thousands of bicycles and dozens of stations to make that work.

The NCC owns the system, including the bikes and the docking stations dotted around downtown, and it has two years left on an operating contract with the Public Bike System Co. of Montreal, which also sold the NCC the equipment. That company is legally private but it’s controlled by the City of Montreal and it’s a hot mess on virtually all fronts.

The company both owns and operates Montreal’s Bixi system, which launched on the promise that it could be funded by operating contracts in other cities, especially internationally. But launches in cities like New York and Chicago have been delayed by software glitches and the company found itself in a multimillion-dollar cash crunch in 2011, having bought thousands of bikes and stations that weren’t yet making the company any money. The City of Montreal stepped in with a $108-million rescue package that got the Public Bike System Co. through its immediate crisis but even now the future of the company is in question. A takeover by Montreal’s transit agency is in the offing.

(It gets worse: the Quebec government is insisting the company pest its international operations, since city-owned companies aren’t allowed to expand abroad. So much for big new contracts in global metropolises.)

A similar situation is playing out in Toronto, where a Public Bike System Co. offshoot owns and operates a system with 1,000 bicycles. A city government promise to pay for a 2,000-bike expansion was scuttled by bike-hostile Mayor Rob Ford, though, and the company can’t cover its costs. City staff there want the City of Toronto to take the local Bixi program over to save it from extinction — and from defaulting on a $3.9-million loan the city guaranteed to help the company start operations.

If the Toronto system had been able to expand, the Public Bike System Co.’s president Michel Philibert lamented publicly, it wouldn’t have the money problems it does. That’s an important thing about bike-sharing systems: The more stations they have, the more appealing they are, because there’s no point taking a bike if you can’t drop it off somewhere convenient. Ottawa-Gatineau’s is the smallest of the Public Bike System Co.’s urban systems by far: Montreal has 400 stations and even Toronto’s stunted version has 80.

The company’s tribulations aren’t a problem here, Wolff says. It’s delivering the service it’s supposed to. “In terms of our relationship with Bixi, our relationship with PBSC, everything is fine. Our contract is working. It is working fine,” he says. “This is new territory, this is a new system, this is a new form of transit — I would say public transit, but it is inpidual public transit, if you see what I mean — and we are learning, as is everyone.”

But it’s obvious that Ottawa-Gatineau’s system has not grown the way the commission would have liked.

A feasibility study the NCC commissioned in 2009 to see whether a the idea was worth trying advised starting with 50 stations. Three years in, the Capital Bixi system has half that. Neither Ottawa nor Gatineau has invested in it, as the study assumed would happen. By now the study expected users would take well over a million rides in a year; last year there were fewer than 50,000.

Bixi is the larger of Ottawa’s two bike-sharing services. RightBike does roughly the same thing as Bixi but it works on a very different scale as a “social enterprise” run by the Causeway Work Centre partly to give its clients meaningful jobs. It has a few dozen refurbished bikes at eight low-tech stations mostly in West Wellington and Hintonburg (plus two experimental ones just added in the Glebe) usually attached to friendly businesses.

“I’ve used Bixi. I’ve used it in Toronto and I’ve used it Montreal, and one of the things we wanted to do was have a program that was affordable — affordable to use and affordable to run,” says Don Palmer, Causeway’s executive director. Bixi is a heavy system, he says, with credit-card devices at each bike station, a truck to ferry bikes around, and staff who cost money. Even the bikes are heavy.

“They are tanks,” Palmer says. They’re built to last but they aren’t cheap. “Our bikes are bikes that we’ve had donated and we refurbish them.”

RightBike has one permanent mechanic who trains others who work part-time and it relies on friendly businesses and social agencies to host its bike stations, which Palmer says gives RightBike deeper community routes. It’s cheaper to run and cheaper to use than Bixi, though its fewer stations and their limited hours make it less convenient.

“If it was a wider-based program, I think the bike rental revenues would make it sustainable,” Palmer says.

Yet RightBike’s seen a doubling of revenue in the last year and interest in its operating model from Kitchener-Waterloo, Smiths Falls and Almonte. Self-sufficiency isn’t coming right away but Palmer says they can see it in the distance.

RightBike has zero interest in taking Capital Bixi over, he says.

Wolff wouldn’t say what happens if nobody steps up with an offer: “This is entirely speculative and hypothetical and negative and I’m not going to entertain it.”

A notice of the intention to sell posted this week gives interested buyers until Aug. 13 to invite themselves to meetings the NCC will hold later to hash out the possibilities.

Capital Bixi by the numbers

25 stations

250 bicycles

In 2012, the system had:

305 subscribers

8,692 casual users

43,612 trips

205 trips per day on average, from April to November

273 trips per day on average in June, July and August

11 minutes: Average time spent per use by subscribers

66 minutes: Average time of use by casual riders

499 trips taken on the busiest day yet, June 30, 2012

$437,000 in revenue

$513,000 in operating costs

$76,000 operating deficit

Source: National Capital Commission

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

JM1
Jul 15, 2013, 7:37 PM
I have to disagree with you. Having lived in places where raised cycle tracks exist (in europe), I have to say they do not invite people walking on them. If they are paved a different way or painted a different colour, people recognize that walking on them is dangerous -- they will get hit. People don't walk on cylce tracks for the same reason that they don't walk in traffic lanes. Simple as that. It works. This is not a new idea.

As someone who does 5000km+ of cycle-commuting a year I agree with you. Making the cycle track flush with the sidewalk simply invites pedestrians to walk in it.

TransitZilla
Jul 15, 2013, 8:14 PM
Here's an example from Vancouver: http://goo.gl/maps/jKtU7

I tried out the lanes on this street on my last visit to Vancouver and they were a joy to use. I can't wait until we get to see this in Ottawa!

Capital Shaun
Jul 15, 2013, 8:19 PM
I have to disagree with you. Having lived in places where raised cycle tracks exist (in europe), I have to say they do not invite people walking on them. If they are paved a different way or painted a different colour, people recognize that walking on them is dangerous -- they will get hit. People don't walk on cylce tracks for the same reason that they don't walk in traffic lanes. Simple as that. It works. This is not a new idea.

I'm sure it could work in the long run but the pedestrians in Ottawa would require significant retraining. At the moment almost all of our existing "bike paths" are of the shared/multi-use variety. Pedestrians are used to this. Even today, some walkers and runners will use the Laurier SBL. Look at the example Dado found in more bike friendly Vancouver, lots of pedestrians treating the cycle track as a wider sidewalk. Making these new pathways bike only yet flush with the sidewalks will require lots of communication & education to change the pedestrian mindset.

Another example, I cross between Ottawa & Gatineau using the Portage or Alexandra bridges. Portage has the cycle track at a different step than the sidewalk, extremely rarely are there pedestrians in the path of cyclists. Alexandra has them on the same level. Pedestrians quite frequently stray into the cycle lanes.

TransitZilla
Jul 15, 2013, 8:22 PM

Actually the Dutch DO do this... http://goo.gl/maps/BDtMQ.

Capital Shaun
Jul 15, 2013, 8:34 PM
Actually the Dutch DO do this... http://goo.gl/maps/BDtMQ.

And there's actually four bikes riding on the pedestrian portion (with three going in the wrong direction) in front of the Heineken building.

rocketphish
Jul 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
Laurier bike lanes here to stay

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN July 17, 2013 7:25 PM

OTTAWA — The segregated bike lanes on Laurier Avenue are now a permanent fixture of the downtown artery after a city council vote Wednesday.

The lanes, one in each direction between Bronson Avenue and Elgin Street, were an experiment that started two years ago amid anger and objections from Laurier’s residents and merchants. And by a 2-to-1 margin in city surveys, they still don’t like the lanes. But studies have found that Laurier now carries three to four times as many cyclists as it did before the lanes opened without slowing other traffic or getting in the way of emergency vehicles. The lanes have few collisions and computer-based crunching of videos shot along the route shows that the gaps between cyclists and motor vehicles are bigger than they used to be, meaning there are fewer near misses, too.

The city has made numerous tweaks to the lanes since they opened, finding ways to squeeze some parking spaces that had been removed back onto Laurier and adjusting loading and drop-off zones. It’s also cutting off the far western end of the lanes in favour of a new bike path to be built across the field of the former Ottawa Technical High School just north of Laurier, mollifying some residents there.

Sometime after 2018, when Laurier Avenue is due to be completely rebuilt, the lanes are to be built into it permanently in a way that’s less obtrusive than the current concrete barriers and planters.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Laurier+bike+lanes+here+stay/8673198/story.html

Dado
Jul 18, 2013, 1:34 AM
And there's actually four bikes riding on the pedestrian portion (with three going in the wrong direction) in front of the Heineken building.

Good catch.

Yep, even in the most cycle-trained culture on Earth, people ignore ground markings undifferentiated by height differences.

And even if it "works" on Laurier, chances are it won't on Main. Laurier will at least have had a history of the grade-differentiated SBLs in operation for a few years, but Main and other streets will not have had any such history.

Capital Shaun
Jul 18, 2013, 2:31 AM
Good catch.

Yep, even in the most cycle-trained culture on Earth, people ignore ground markings undifferentiated by height differences.

And even if it "works" on Laurier, chances are it won't on Main. Laurier will at least have had a history of the grade-differentiated SBLs in operation for a few years, but Main and other streets will not have had any such history.

As a cyclist, the only advantage I see with a cycle track flush with the sidewalk is easier passing when there's minimal pedestrians around. The Laurier SBL is just a tad too narrow for cyclists to pass each other. So often, the passing occurs in the intersections which isn't the safest place to do so. Of course that could be mitigated by building cycle tracks wide enough for cyclists to safely pass each other but I don't see Ottawa taking passing into consideration.

Either way having some kind of cycling facility on Main will be a HUGE improvement to what is there now: narrow lanes, lots of potholes, and heavy traffic.

waterloowarrior
Jul 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
Terrible crash yesterday at Riverside and Bank. From some of the witnesses commenting on the Sun (http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/30/female-cyclist-struck-by-truck) it sounds like it happened when the truck turned right on a red near the MUP (if the accounts are correct these turns are not permitted at this intersection). We don't know the exact circumstances but it's worth pointing out that the design of this intersection actually requires technically illegal behaviour from cyclist. The curve on the street is quite auto-oriented as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/wxpAQ

http://goo.gl/maps/iDlJB

waterloowarrior
Jul 31, 2013, 11:46 PM
Here is how Toronto treats two-way MUPs crossing signalized intersections. Separate from pedestrians, signalized etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/kDriE
http://goo.gl/maps/oP7VA

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 12:31 AM
Terrible crash yesterday at Riverside and Bank. From some of the witnesses commenting on the Sun (http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/30/female-cyclist-struck-by-truck) it sounds like it happened when the truck turned right on a red near the MUP (if the accounts are correct these turns are not permitted at this intersection). We don't know the exact circumstances but it's worth pointing out that the design of this intersection actually requires technically illegal behaviour from cyclist. The curve on the street is quite auto-oriented as well.

What is the technically illegal behaviour you speak of?

waterloowarrior
Aug 1, 2013, 12:41 AM

Riding in a crosswalk.

eternallyme
Aug 1, 2013, 1:17 AM

It's a fully legal turn. However, the space is very tight and dangerous.

The intersection should be rebuilt IMO and the 2-way couplet removed with all turns at the southern leg (used by eastbound traffic) which would need to be somewhat widened.

Capital Shaun
Aug 1, 2013, 2:04 AM
Riding in a crosswalk.

It's practically unenforced and it can easily be legalized.

Gatineau has done so for some crosswalks that connect with MUPs.
https://maps.google.ca/?ll=45.432491,-75.733266&spn=0.017286,0.042272&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=45.432579,-75.733277&panoid=wGgU6X-h1CFbAgiqdBPjWw&cbp=12,208.38,,0,0.46

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 12:17 PM
It's practically unenforced and it can easily be legalized.

Gatineau has done so for some crosswalks that connect with MUPs.
https://maps.google.ca/?ll=45.432491,-75.733266&spn=0.017286,0.042272&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=45.432579,-75.733277&panoid=wGgU6X-h1CFbAgiqdBPjWw&cbp=12,208.38,,0,0.46

Looks to me like that bike sign wants me to ride on the 6" wide bit of pavement. Are they crazy? Sorry, not everyone is Nick Wallenda. I would never want to risk falling in front of a vehicle trying to balance on a narrow curb like that. I would rather take up the whole right lane (so I won't get side-swiped by a vehicle trying to "share" a narrow lane) or just ride on the wide part of the pavement.

Capital Shaun
Aug 1, 2013, 1:57 PM
Looks to me like that bike sign wants me to ride on the 6" wide bit of pavement. Are they crazy? Sorry, not everyone is Nick Wallenda. I would never want to risk falling in front of a vehicle trying to balance on a narrow curb like that. I would rather take up the whole right lane (so I won't get side-swiped by a vehicle trying to "share" a narrow lane) or just ride on the wide part of the pavement.

What the...

The signage, accompanying flashing lights, and painted markings on the road, are to indicate to traffic to yeild to pedestrians & bikes that are crossing the road.

I have no idea how you saw that as being told to ride on a 6 inch wide curb...

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 2:28 PM
What the...

The signage, accompanying flashing lights, and painted markings on the road, are to indicate to traffic to yeild to pedestrians & bikes that are crossing the road.

I have no idea how you saw that as being told to ride on a 6 inch wide curb...

Ok, I get the message to motorists to be careful.

I'm not clear what the signs want cyclists to do?
(The words under the yield sign are too small to see from Google Maps.)
There are no bike lanes in the roundabout or the roads leading to the roundabout.
The lanes are too narrow for a non-expert biker like me to comfortably ride while sharing with a car.
If that person + bike sign wants cyclists to dismount, it should look more like this: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/04/18/osu-oval-walk-zone-offical-only-pedestrians-allowed/
Although, if the intersection is very busy, I'll probably dismount anyways, for my own safety.

Capital Shaun
Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM
Ok, I get the message to motorists to be careful.

I'm not clear what the signs want cyclists to do?
(The words under the yield sign are too small to see from Google Maps.)
There are no bike lanes in the roundabout or the roads leading to the roundabout.
The lanes are too narrow for a non-expert biker like me to comfortably ride while sharing with a car.
If that person + bike sign wants cyclists to dismount, it should look more like this: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/04/18/osu-oval-walk-zone-offical-only-pedestrians-allowed/
Although, if the intersection is very busy, I'll probably dismount anyways, for my own safety.

There's a MUP running parallel to Allumetiere and it crosses St-Joseph at that point. Cyclists are allowed to ride in that crosswalk to cross St-Joseph. The path is coblestone around the intersection so it's a bit unclear on Google maps if one hasn't ridden there before.

If you're riding on St-Joseph you have to take the lane if you're going to go through the traffic circle. The cyclists (just like the rest of traffic) are to yield to the peds & bikes in the crosswalk first (flashing lights) and then yield to the cars already in the traffic circle (the yield sign). (Or what most cyclists do is use the other crosswalks around the traffic circle.)

Dado
Aug 1, 2013, 5:51 PM

Riding in a crosswalk.

That's for cyclists travelling on the path who are crossing Bank, but the victim in this incident was travelling south on Bank (which you may not have known at the time of writing) in which it is possible to ride legally.

It kind of seems unlikely that the collision was due to a right turn on red since under those circumstances the cyclist would have had no reason to enter the intersection, unless she was crushed right at the stop line somehow.

This is almost certainly a case of someone passing improperly, but who was passing whom remains to be determined.

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 6:35 PM

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Cyclist+hurt+collision+with+cement+truck+Bank+Street/8727969/story.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/07/31/ottawa-intersection-where-cyclist-killed-to-be-redesigned-bank-riverside.html

So the reports say that:
* the truck was going South on Bank and turning Right onto Riverside
* the cyclist was going South on Bank
And it looks like:
* her broken bike is in the middle of the road
* there's no right turn permitted on a red light

I would guess that both truck and cyclist were side-by-side on the road at the intersection while the light was red. Then, as soon as the light turned green, both of them started doing their thing.... The cyclist probably started moving earlier, going parallel to any pedestrians walking South on Bank when the light is green. The truck probably started moving slightly later, as heavy trucks accelerate a tad slower than a typical car (or human). The truck driver probably made too wide a turn or simply not looked out the right window to check for potential cyclists (or joggers and walkers).

If the problem is because the driver didn't look towards the right before turning, then a wider bike lane ain't gonna solve it all by itself (although it'll help with other things). There needs to be something like an advanced light for non-motorized vehicles, like what was suggested in one of the news articles.

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 6:47 PM
Seriously, the lanes on the Bank bridge here are quite narrow. The wide green berms should be between the cars and bikes, not squeezing cyclists with the cars.

Rather than waiting 5 years for an improvement, perhaps that little white man button can be re-programmed to give cyclists & pedestrians an early walk signal on-demand. Also, one of those green railing / green berm pathways can be turned into a bikepath with a yellow line, and the other side left for pedestrians.

Dado
Aug 1, 2013, 7:43 PM
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Cyclist+hurt+collision+with+cement+truck+Bank+Street/8727969/story.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/07/31/ottawa-intersection-where-cyclist-killed-to-be-redesigned-bank-riverside.html

So the reports say that:
* the truck was going South on Bank and turning Right onto Riverside
* the cyclist was going South on Bank
And it looks like:
* her broken bike is in the middle of the road
* there's no right turn permitted on a red light

In the pictures, her bike is on the sidewalk next to the traffic light support in the northwest quadrant of the intersection, as seen in WW's first link (the Citizen photo of her bike was taken from Bank):

The concrete truck is parked in the left lane of Riverside, off to the right of the frame in the above link alongside that segment of new sidewalk (the rear of the truck is roughly in line with the joint between the middle segment and the westernmost segment of new sidewalk), but of course we don't know how far he drove before stopping.

I would guess that both truck and cyclist were side-by-side on the road at the intersection while the light was red. Then, as soon as the light turned green, both of them started doing their thing.... The cyclist probably started moving earlier, going parallel to any pedestrians walking South on Bank when the light is green. The truck probably started moving slightly later, as heavy trucks accelerate a tad slower than a typical car (or human). The truck driver probably made too wide a turn or simply not looked out the right window to check for potential cyclists (or joggers and walkers).

Looking at the size of that truck and having seen plenty of them up close (I live in Westboro, so the place is full of them), it would have had to take that turn wide (which might explain why the truck is parked in the left lane of Riverside). If so, he would likely have gone "straight" for a distance before starting the turn into the left lane of Riverside.

Perhaps that was a factor.

If the problem is because the driver didn't look towards the right before turning, then a wider bike lane ain't gonna solve it all by itself (although it'll help with other things). There needs to be something like an advanced light for non-motorized vehicles, like what was suggested in one of the news articles.

Buggys
Aug 1, 2013, 10:43 PM
...Sorry, I meant to say it looks like the bike was in the middle of the road when they crashed.

I can't remember which news article I read it in now, but reporters said paramedics had moved the bike onto the pavement while they tried to save the woman in vain. Waterloo warrior's Sun article has pictures that show the bike's debris on the road.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/30/female-cyclist-struck-by-truck

Capital Shaun
Aug 1, 2013, 11:22 PM
...Sorry, I meant to say it looks like the bike was in the middle of the road when they crashed.

I can't remember which news article I read it in now, but reporters said paramedics had moved the bike onto the pavement while they tried to save the woman in vain. Waterloo warrior's Sun article has pictures that show the bike's debris on the road.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/30/female-cyclist-struck-by-truck

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen those pictures before.

It's possible this may have been a right hook collision. We'll have to wait for the results of the investigation to know for sure.

waterloowarrior
Sep 4, 2013, 2:24 PM
interesting item buried in this staff report. The North-South arterial in Fernbank will now have a raised cycle track. Great to see on a greenfield road. http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=77370

waterloowarrior
Sep 13, 2013, 2:49 AM
has anyone gone by the East-West Bikeway route r (http://ottawa.ca/sites/ottawa.ca/files/migrated/files/cap275602.pdf)ecently? There are several sections planned for construction this year.
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/transportation/east-west-bikeway-churchill-avenue-st-laurent

gjhall
Sep 13, 2013, 5:15 AM
has anyone gone by the East-West Bikeway route r (http://ottawa.ca/sites/ottawa.ca/files/migrated/files/cap275602.pdf)ecently? There are several sections planned for construction this year.
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/transportation/east-west-bikeway-churchill-avenue-st-laurent

I noticed there are new posts to segregate the bike lane WB over the canal on Laurier bridge.

Capital Shaun
Sep 13, 2013, 2:24 PM

Stewart & Wilbrod are also being worked on. Lots of construction along the bike lane.