HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 9:58 PM

Arrow SAN FRANCISCO | Angels & Demons – Historic & Urban Art in Mission Dolores, Part Dos

Heavenly Angels and Hellish Demons – Historic and Modern Urban Art in Mission Dolores, San Francisco (Part Dos)

Here is part two of my photos in San Francisco. Stepper77 met up with me for a walk from the Castro to the Mission Dolores basilica and neighborhood on the 14th of November. Thanks for hanging with me for the afternoon and showing me an area I have only been in at night during my scandalous visits.

The walk from Alamo Square is about 15 minutes to the Castro, but some great views down from the hills. Temps were in the high 70s and low 80s for my visit, I know, I lucked out with the great weather.

You can see the Mission Dolores down the hill and Mission Bay in the far distance.

The Castro Theater with Eureka Valley/Noe Valley in the distance.

The Castro Theatre is a popular movie palace and the 100th San Francisco City Historical Landmark. It was built in 1922 with a Spanish Colonial Baroque façade that pays homage, in its great arched central window surmounted by a scrolling pediment framing a niche, to the recently rebuilt basilica of Mission Dolores nearby. Its designer, Timothy L. Pflueger, also designed Oakland's Paramount Theater and other movie theaters in California in that period. The Castro Theatre originally opened at 479 Castro Street in 1910. For the filming of the Gus Van Sant biopic Milk, restorations were made to the neon on the theater's marquee and the facade was repainted.

The old street cars that run up and down Market street are from all over the world. A must do is to ride them if you visit.

The Mission District is surrounded by Eureka Valley, Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, Potero Hill, Fillmore, Haight and the Castro.

Misión San Francisco de Asís, (Mission Dolores), edifice was started in 1788 and was dedicated August 2, 1791. An adobe structure that is the oldest building in San Francisco. The original adobe brick walls and roof tiles are still in place. Since I didn’t burst into flames upon entry, I guess I am not as wicked as I am often told. Of the 21 California Missions, this is the third most northerly and the sixth to be established under the direction of Father Junípero Serra.

No there were not three Jesus guys running around, it is the trinity you are looking at. If you don’t know what that is, then you better ask somebody.

In the movie “Vertigo”, detective Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart) follows Madeleine Elster (Kim Novak) into Mission Dolores and out to the cemetery, where she lays flowers at the grave of "Carlotta Valdes". Although the grave marker was fictional and set up specifically for the film, it was reportedly left to stand in the cemetery for a number of years after filming. America's first African-American Millionaire William Alexander Leidesdorff is buried within the Old Mission--he was not Catholic. The mission is the subject of the Jerry Garcia song "Mission in the Rain."

Out to the cemetery on the side of the church:

The statue in the center is of Father Junipero Serra. The San Francisco de Asís cemetery, which adjoins the property on the south side, was originally much larger than its present boundaries, running west almost to Church Street and north into what is today 16th Street. It was reduced in various stages, starting with the extension of 16th Street through the former Mission grounds in 1889, and later by the construction of the Mission Dolores Basilica Center and the Chancery Building of the Archdiocese of San Francisco in the 1950s. Some remains were reburied on-site in a mass grave, while others were relocated to various Bay Area cemeteries. Today, most of the former cemetery grounds are covered by a paved playground behind the Mission Dolores School.

During the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, the adjacent brick church was destroyed. By contrast, the original adobe Mission, though damaged, remained in relatively good condition. However, the ensuing fire touched off by the earthquake reached almost to the Mission's doorstep. To prevent the spread of flames, the Convent and School of Notre Dame across the street was dynamited by firefighters; nevertheless, nearly all the blocks east of Dolores Street and north of 20th street were consumed by flames. In 1913, construction began on a new church (now known as the Mission Dolores Basilica) adjacent to the Mission, which was completed in 1918. This structure was further remodeled in 1926 with churrigueresque ornamentation inspired by the Panama-California Exposition held in San Diego's Balboa Park. A sensitive restoration of the original adobe Mission was undertaken in 1917 by the noted architect, Willis Polk. In 1952, San Francisco Archbishop John J. Mitty, announced that Pope Pius XII had elevated Mission Dolores to the status of a Minor Basilica. This was the first designation of a basilica west of the Mississippi and the fifth basilica named in the United States. Today, the larger, newer church is called "Mission Dolores Basilica" while the original adobe structure retains the name of Mission Dolores. Again, no feelings of internal combustion, so here is what I shot:

This place has not changed since I ventured in as a kid. It is still creepy, dirty, smell of bar and no change to the décor, however, one of the best times to be had. Gay salsa dancing at its best, just don’t ever disrespect the drag queens. I have seen them go from ghetto fabulous to vicious attack dogs in the blink of an eye at this bar. Their victims were hauled off in an ambulance, but the party continued once the wigs were readjusted. The reviews on this site sum it up well - http://www.yelp.com/biz/esta-noche-san-francisco . Gay or straight, the shows are fun but best to have a friend with you so you don’t look like you are there for something other then a show.

Stepper77 and I had to quit shooting for a few blocks due to heavy drug dealings and not wanting to be accused of snitching. Though we probably could have fit in visually, our cameras did not. We eventually stumbled upon this alley covered in urban art, another must see if you are the adventurous type. I will mix in the alley shots with some of those of the surrounding neighborhood so it is not too overbearing with one topic.

The Bay:

You could smell the food that was cooking in those pots above:

What Hispanic neighborhood would be complete without a Taqueria?

Self portrait:

Mission Dolores High School:

Hopping on the Bart to head down to the Embarcadero and Ballpark areas!

Thanks for looking and more on San Francisco to come!

Denver Aztec

San Francisco:

Part One - You Better Keep Your Lady Painted! Alamo Square and UofSF
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161601

Denver Threads:

Denver at Night, experimenting with my new Nikon D90;
Halloween 2008;
When Summer Attacks! – Denver, Part Two;
When Summer Attacks! – Denver, Part One;
Democratic National Convention, Part One;
Democratic National Convention, Part Two;
Historic Denver Public Schools;
Golden Triangle and the Denver Art Museum;
Lower Downtown (LoDo) and the Museum of Contemporary Art;
First Night Art Walk along Santa Fe Drive;
Historic Halloween Part 1;
Historic Halloween Part 2;
Summer 2007;
Taste of Colorado Festival;

Colorado Threads:
Air Force Academy and Garden of the Gods
Breckenridge Snow Sculpture Contest;
Boulder, Colorado - The Old and the New of Pearl Street

Other Cities:
San Francisco, Part 1;
Phoenix Part 1;
Phoenix Part 2;
Santa Fe, New Mexico;
Fort Worth, Texas;
Dallas, Texas

Last edited by denveraztec; Dec 3, 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:42 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Damn, that was spectaucular and has to be the most colorful threads I've ever seen. Awesome job thanks!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:46 AM

The most color I've seen in a long time. Great shots.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:02 AM

Sweet jebus! You did a good job showing off a lot of the art in the Mission. Also, nice shots from inside mission dolores. I've been in the graveyard, but never the mission its self. I love that view down 16th street too, in the 2nd pic.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:17 AM
zzzzzzzz

Wow! Great photos once again!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:50 AM

Great job capturing my neighborhood! I've never actually been inside Mission Dolores. Looks like I'll need to check it out some time.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:32 AM
no its not...

Stupendous shots

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:59 AM
BANNED

Of all the threads on San Francisco, this is the first time I recall seeing a photo of Mission San Francisco de Asis which has always struck me as weird since it's kind of the start of it all. Not many people go to San Antonio, for example, without seeing The Alamo.

There may actually be one "building" in town that's older, though. I think I've read that part of an original Presidio building (from 1776 I think) is incorporated into the existing Officers' Club on what was the Presidio Army Base (now a national park).

Also, lest the names confuse everyone, the original name of the mission was, as you said, Mission San Francisco de Asis. It began to be called "Mission Dolores" because in the early days it was on the shore of a small lake (now filled in) called Lago de los Dolores.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Beautiful shots of SF's most colorful neighborhood. Can't wait for the next set.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:02 PM
E pluribus unum

Holy ridiculously gorgeous photos, Batman!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
The house most photographed by tourists in the neighborhood according our local SF postal employee/guide

Stunning photos denveraztec! Especially inside the church. I definitely need to get me that camera of yours. I think I managed two decent (in focus) shots. Oh well.

Loved all the photos of the murals too. It is a definite must see place for the adventurous types who don't view Pier 39, Lombard St, and Coit Tower as the "real" SF. Not sure I would have ventured down there alone with my camera though, so, thanks for providing the opportunity and company. I can't tell you how much fun I had.

But, where's the shot of your pizza slice from Marcello's!?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:39 PM
Here we stAy

Colorful enough to keep you awake at night.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:01 PM

Incredible set! I'm enjoying the variation of the collection too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:46 PM

Thanks for all the great comments, they inspire me to continue to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Of all the threads on San Francisco, this is the first time I recall seeing a photo of Mission San Francisco de Asis which has always struck me as weird since it's kind of the start of it all. Not many people go to San Antonio, for example, without seeing The Alamo...
The Mission district is on the famous "49 Mile" tour, which is a must to really see San Francisco. Not sure how many tourist actual have taken it or stop in the neighborhoods, but they should. There is a new bus route there that started in October that takes you to all the museums. One day pass will cost you like $7.00 and they stop at each place every 20 minutes. Great way to get to the Place of Fine Art, De Young/CAofSci or the Legion of Honor from MOMA or the Asian Art Museum. Would be cool to see the same happen with all the churches there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
The house most photographed by tourists in the neighborhood according our local SF postal employee/guide
He was pretty excited about it too.
Stunning photos denveraztec! Especially inside the church. I definitely need to get me that camera of yours. I think I managed two decent (in focus) shots. Oh well.
You are welcome in Denver, again, anytime and I even have a spare room, just don't swipe my camera.
Loved all the photos of the murals too. It is a definite must see place for the adventurous types who don't view Pier 39, Lombard St, and Coit Tower as the "real" SF. Not sure I would have ventured down there alone with my camera though, so, thanks for providing the opportunity and company. I can't tell you how much fun I had.

But, where's the shot of your pizza slice from Marcello's!?
I had a great time as well and wouldn't have done it alone either. It is not a place that you would find many tourist venturing about but heck, parts of the Tenderloin seem much worse.

I think we agreed, folks on SSP go wild for food shots but I was so hungry that day that I ate before I thought of shooting my meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
Incredible set! I'm enjoying the variation of the collection too.
I really do have some shots of bridges, water and the Transamerica Pryamid, even some bikin and surfer shots. I will post them soon. San Francisco really does have it all when it comes to a unique blend of nature and city. Those who live there are very fortunate.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 11:10 PM

Fantastic neighborhood and photographs; looks great all bathed in color and sunlight.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Not sure I would have ventured down there alone with my camera though, so, thanks for providing the opportunity and company. I can't tell you how much fun I had.
You know, I have just never felt threatened or fearful in either the Mission or the Tenderloin in the daytime. I take reasonable precautions against pickpockets and such (wallet in front pocket etc). I sometimes carry pepper spray, but that's more in case some whacko flips out on Muni or someplace I can't walk away. These days I find the vicinity of some of the Western Addition projects scarier (I do not slow down coming down Webster on my scooter past Grove and making a right onto Golden Gate as I do all the time).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 1:54 AM

Quote:
You know, I have just never felt threatened or fearful in either the Mission or the Tenderloin in the daytime. I take reasonable precautions against pickpockets and such (wallet in front pocket etc). I sometimes carry pepper spray, but that's more in case some whacko flips out on Muni or someplace I can't walk away. These days I find the vicinity of some of the Western Addition projects scarier (I do not slow down coming down Webster on my scooter past Grove and making a right onto Golden Gate as I do all the time).
You know I generally don't feel weird either. I work in downtown Oakland which bothers some people I work with, but, I've never had a problem or really felt uncomfortable. And I, too, have never had any problem walking in the Tenderloin. You just walk like you know where you are and where you are going and most people won't bother you. It's just the camera that can make me nervous as I look like a tourist. And really it was fine until we crossed Mission and hit Capp I believe. That is where we saw the drug deal on the street But, if you have company, seeing treasures like that alleyway can be worth it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 2:32 AM

Quote:
I actually didn't feel threatened during this trip in any area of the city, unlike some past visits. It was refreshing and evident some work is being done with the homeless.
Quote:
You know I generally don't feel weird either. I work in downtown Oakland which bothers some people I work with, but, I've never had a problem or really felt uncomfortable. And I, too, have never had any problem walking in the Tenderloin. You just walk like you know where you are and where you are going and most people won't bother you. It's just the camera that can make me nervous as I look like a tourist. And really it was fine until we crossed Mission and hit Capp I believe. That is where we saw the drug deal on the street But, if you have company, seeing treasures like that alleyway can be worth it.
I have only had problems in the Tenderloin with the homeless, they are aggressive and will grab you (past trips). I don't think they would try that in the Mission as they are more likely to get knocked around by the locals. I was fine also in the Mission, it was as just our cameras stood out. Neither or ours are the kind you can just tuck in your pocket quickly. Yes Stepper, all good until Capp through like Van Ness maybe, but we just put on our "we know what we are doing" face and were just fine. However, our cameras were stared at, mostly because they didn't want their pictures taken. I would easily do it again as it was very much worth it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:11 AM

De colores es espectacular. Muy buena.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
I have only had problems in the Tenderloin with the homeless, they are aggressive and will grab you (past trips).
Hah! Well, I just might still carry a certain immunity in the 'Loin. From 1993 through about 2 years ago I worked part time in the two principle methadone clinics serving the Tenderloin. It became very common for me to get a loud "Hi doc!" from down the block somewhere when walking through the area. And it's very uncool to mess with your source of methadone if you know what I mean. I don't know how many of them would still remember me now though--crack doesn't help your long-term memory. But I still see a lot of familiar faces in the "Loin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos