HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:39 PM

168 Meadowlily Road South - apartments (up to 12s), townhouses (Proposed)

A new subdivision is proposed for the north east corner of Meadowlily and Commissioners, which is planned to have:
  • two (2) low-density blocks for cluster townhouses;
  • one (1) medium density block for midrise apartments; with a building height maximum of six (6) storeys
  • one (1) high-density blocks for high rise apartments; with a building height maximum of twelve (12) storeys
  • two (2) open space blocks;
  • one (1) ESA with buffer block;
  • seven (7) road widening and reserve blocks;
  • all served by one (1) new local street.

Forever Homes is the developer, and they have already built some townhouse developments in London and Kilworth.

Planning application page: https://london.ca/business-developme...eadowlily-road

Planning application notice: https://london.ca/sites/default/file...-NoticeApp.pdf

There are no detailed site-plans or renderings, just a rough sketch as to how the various subdivision blocks will be arranged:

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Aug 5, 2024 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:31 PM

Nice proposal and makes sense along this major east west primary road. Not convinced Forever Homes will ever build the low rise and mid rise apartment building blocks as it more likely they could build the townhouses and sell the apartment blocks to a experienced apartment developer. Although it would be good to see them expand their expertise into apartment building construction it is very different from building SFH's and townhouses as Westdell discovered when they built the low rise 4s on Fanshawe Rd.

Bluestone also has a proposal further east on Commissioners for 12s and 6s buildings and Drewlo has a couple more of their low rise apartments planned at Jackson Rd.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:26 PM

Is this not the lot where the NIMBY group got the proposed big box development shut down? I think it was to be a Loblaw store or even a Walmart.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD15 View Post
Is this not the lot where the NIMBY group got the proposed big box development shut down? I think it was to be a Loblaw store or even a Walmart.
I think so. Northeast corner rings a bell.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:40 PM

I think you guys may be right ... when I google "Walmart" and "Meadowlily", this post from another forum (not SSP) comes up from 2008:

Quote:
Residents near London's Meadowlily Woods have won a major battle with the world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart. A drive that delivered hundreds of people to public meetings and thousands more to sign a petition now is in position for a big win at city hall. Politicians on the planning committee want the city to set the pace and agenda for deciding what development is best for a south London tract surrounded by the woods, a heritage site and a neighbourhood with homes and open space. If council follows suit, as appears likely, those hired to evaluate the area's needs would be selected and paid by city hall rather than by the developer, Smart Centres, which builds big-box malls often anchored by Wal-Mart. That makes all the difference, community activists say. "It's not about Smart Centres. It's not about Wal-Mart . . . It's about (what's best for) London," said Gary Smith, who lives on Meadowlily Road across from where the developer wants to build 225,000 square feet of retail space.

Smart Centres had paid its own experts to evaluate the effect of the mega-plaza on the woods, an approach to development that council often has supported in the past. City planners supported the approach, but found Smart Centres hadn't completed the job adequately. Planners recommended giving the developer more time, but neighbours wanted city hall to take charge -- a push accepted by all five members at this week's planning committee meeting. "It's absolutely wonderful," Controller Gina Barber, a committee member, said yesterday. "I can't imagine anything more incongruous (with the area) than a large, big-box development."

Some on the planning committee wanted to reject the development outright, but Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best persuaded them not to. Council will undermine its ability to defend itself if it rejects a development before city-hired consultants evaluate local needs, she said. "I've lived in this area all my life. Our job is to make sure we protect it," she said. Residents say a city-led plan has several advantages: - Citizens can provide input throughout the process rather than just near the end. - The study will be more exhaustive. - The study will look at what's best for the area rather than simply accommodating what a developer wants. "We got exactly what we wanted," resident Peter Meisenheimer said. "This will set a precedent on how the city will deal with (land that can be developed)." Smart Centres says other developers won't invest in London if city hall takes over the process midstream. "It puts many developers in a not-very-happy position," said Peter Nikolakakos of Smart Centres. Coun. Roger Caranci and the mayor dispute that a precedent has been set. Both say the woods, heritage and neighbourhood warrant special treatment. But Barber believes the tide has shifted from development at all costs to managed growth. Community groups can carry the day, she said, citing recent council decisions to side with residents in Stoneybrook Heights, Old Masonville and Oakridge. "It's an example of the new way we do business," she said.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 4:47 PM

An example of how thinking changes over time regarding zoning. Nothing is permanent and eventually the property will transform sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
I think you guys may be right ... when I google "Walmart" and "Meadowlily", this post from another forum (not SSP) comes up from 2008:

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:00 AM

The planning app. page was updated today with some applicant-provided reports.

Urban design brief: https://london.ca/sites/default/file...esignBrief.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates