HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:46 PM

Are transit stations safe for cyclists?

I bring this up because a coworker began to cycle to South Keys station and then took the bus the rest of the way . Within a week, his padlock was clipped and bike stolen. It was an old bike. Can you really leave a bike at a transit station?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau has been slowly rolling out these secured bike lockers at Rapibus stations and other locations. You reserve them via an app. It's something like 50 cents a day.

https://www.velotransit.ca/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I bring this up because a coworker began to cycle to South Keys station and then took the bus the rest of the way . Within a week, his padlock was clipped and bike stolen. It was an old bike. Can you really leave a bike at a transit station?
Unfortunetly not, I've never left my bike at a station as much as I would like to, it just wont be there when coming back. OC has a few places with locked bike shelters (Greenboro being one if your coworker gets a new bike!) that they would like to roll out further but dont have the budget to do so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:41 PM

My wife and I lock our bikes at Blair Station about twice a week, six months of the year. I've had a headlight stolen, but that's it. We make sure to lock them together using two different types of locks. My wife's basket has never been stolen (locked on the bike with a small chain). Blair is a very busy station, so maybe that deters potential thieves during the day. We would never leave them overnight though.

That said, Blair Station's two closest bike parking areas were taken out by a van last week, so we will not be parking there until they are fixed. We don't trust the shelters farther from the entrance.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation