HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Should the city approve the new height for Star Metals?
YES 61 95.31%
NO 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:13 PM

Should the city approve Star Metals height request?

Star Metals is requesting the city approves it's new height by 200+ feet higher than the original plans.

Do you think the city should approve the new height? Or will the new height be a net negative on the skyline and the streets below?

Let's get this convo going.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:15 PM

QUOTE=Labtec;10241006]

West of Midtown, Star Metals' towering expansion moves forward
https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/s...-moves-forward[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:57 PM

Yes, because they don't appear to be asking for additional FAR just to build a taller building and have more public open space for the pedestrian experience, and that area is nowhere near any SFHs so no NIMBYs to bitch and moan, could lead to a increase in the height in more of the district which is a good thing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Yes, because they don't appear to be asking for additional FAR just to build a taller building and have more public open space for the pedestrian experience, and that area is nowhere near any SFHs so no NIMBYs to bitch and moan, could lead to a increase in the height in more of the district which is a good thing.
If you all want taller buildings, ask the City to just remove the MRC-3 height cap at the www.atlzoning.com website. Now is the time for public input.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 1:59 PM

I voted NO because I don't want the city to have little pockets of tall building all over the place like Houston.
I like that Atlanta has 3 distinct skyline in the city. Well, Midtown and downtown is really combined at this point. But you get my point.
Let's not confuse visitors even more.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I voted NO because I don't want the city to have little pockets of tall building all over the place like Houston.
I like that Atlanta has 3 distinct skyline in the city. Well, Midtown and downtown is really combined at this point. But you get my point.
Let's not confuse visitors even more.
A valid opinion, but i don't necessarily think its a big deal. That area is dense and getting denser. Having a little height variation is neat imo. And if this tower is built, will probably be the tallest tower in this area for decades.

As the city fills in it's urban fabric and raises its standard height from a couple stories, to midrises, a tower sprouting up tall like this will look normal. Like Tokyo or nyc.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:47 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
A valid opinion, but i don't necessarily think its a big deal. That area is dense and getting denser. Having a little height variation is neat imo. And if this tower is built, will probably be the tallest tower in this area for decades.

As the city fills in it's urban fabric and raises its standard height from a couple stories, to midrises, a tower sprouting up tall like this will look normal. Like Tokyo or nyc.
Exactly. Toronto is like this. I think the mini skylines around the big skyline is great. For Atlanta, the downtown/midtown and west midtown skylines are so close they will eventually blend together.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Exactly. Toronto is like this. I think the mini skylines around the big skyline is great. For Atlanta, the downtown/midtown and west midtown skylines are so close they will eventually blend together.
I can't wait until we go full donut and connect Atlantic Station through West Midtown and the Coke HQ to the west side of Centennial Olympic Park, with Georgia Tech and Home Park just lying low in the middle.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:16 PM

Duh!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:

I think it'll look normal from the beginning. It will be well within a high rise cluster unlike some of the towers you see in Houston with nothing else around it. Multiple high rise nodes is pretty typical for a city/region the size of Atlanta. I'm just glad we're getting more of them within the city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah, once it's built there will be more 350 - 400 footers popping up in the area and it'll look like a nice cluster similar to Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 3:15 AM

Cobb County. has a 420’ building (/ elevator shaft) and you can see much of their skyline from the city- of course we should continue adding more towers throughout the city & especially proposed here near Howell Mill.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 5:13 PM

Heck yes for a taller west mid. Some 25-30 story buildings will make it a legit skyline in it's own right.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:45 PM

More than 95% of participants on this forum want a taller West Midtown skyline. So, does anyone know when we can expect a vote on the taller proposal?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
More than 95% of participants on this forum want a taller West Midtown skyline. So, does anyone know when we can expect a vote on the taller proposal?
SURPRISE >95% of us will say "wish it had a couple more floors" on every building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta