HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 1:28 PM

96 Main Street East | 101.6m | 30 fl | Proposed

File Number FCSP-24-008
File Type Formal Consultation
Address 96 Main Street East
File Year 2,024
Description To develop a 30 storey mixed use bldg with a 5 storey podium, 393 residential units (homes), 362 square metres of commercial ground floor space (fronting Main Street), 77 vehicular parking spaces including 7 barrier free spaces and 197 long term bicycle
Development Status External In Process

Would replace this plaza:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 2:12 PM

This would be great, but they really should attempt to build as high as C21/Landmark

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 5:32 PM

30 stories, you say?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 5:44 PM

Definitely good news! That's an easy target plaza to take out. With the news of Main & John seeing some development on the horizon, this plaza will compliment the neighbouring property. Let's pray it camouflages the disaster that is our current high water mark known as Landmark.

This trend of development should continue east along Main towards Wellington (lots of low hanging fruit) and obstruct the equally terribly First Place retirement high rise.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 6:34 PM
Hammer'd

Oooh I like it. One less strip plaza downtown is always a good thing. Hopefully a few of the existing businesses will move back into the podium of the new build.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 6:50 PM
Hamilton Historian

I have mixed feelings about this one.. that plaza is SUPER busy all the time and all the businesses in there are very successful, esp. sapporo. Are they just gonna evict all of them out? I regularly order from sapporo..

And what will happen to the city's oldest pub behind sapporo? Will that be demolished or will this but up to it? I really wanted to see that building saved..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 7:50 PM

This will get done before any attempt will be made on the empty lot behind it on John.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 9:01 PM
Hamilton Historian

What I am wondering though is if the pub has heritage protection, or if they are only doing UP TO the pub. I am very curious to see the renderings because I don't think we are allowed to demolish any pre-confederation buildings anymore - and that one sure LOOKS pre-confederation..

I think it'd be awesome if they did a podium on each side of the pub and the pub was sandwiched in the middle, like they did along Augusta St. As it stands many are not even aware that that pub exists as it's kinda tucked away.. it's currently closed and locked up.

I'd definitely protest if they tried to tear it down though, to my knowledge it's the only pub like that left of its kind in the entire downtown..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 9:49 PM
Ham-burgher

The plaza can go.

I too would hate to see that pub destroyed though. It must be one of the oldest buildings in the city.

Historical Hamilton dates it to 1850: https://historicalhamilton.com/area/...nte-irish-pub/
There are some older local National Historic Sites, and this house on Mary St. that was built in 1845. This one in Dundas built by Richard Hatt in 1808 may be one of the oldest that's still standing; but there's also this one in Ancaster dating to 1806. I'd be surprised if Waterdown didn't still have buildings from the early 1800s.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jan 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 8:32 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The plaza can go.

I too would hate to see that pub destroyed though. It must be one of the oldest buildings in the city.

Historical Hamilton dates it to 1850: https://historicalhamilton.com/area/...nte-irish-pub/
There are some older local National Historic Sites, and this house on Mary St. that was built in 1845. This one in Dundas built by Richard Hatt in 1808 may be one of the oldest that's still standing; but there's also this one in Ancaster dating to 1806. I'd be surprised if Waterdown didn't still have buildings from the early 1800s.
Do we know if it has heritage protection? If not maybe we can petition for it to..

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 3:34 PM
It's a nickname from work

33 Bowen St (previously #17) is made up of two portions, the Bowen St side is circa ~1850 with the Catherine St side circa ~1900. Its on the Heritage Registry as a registered, but not designated property - the city knows about it, but hasn't protected it. Perhaps tellingly, the listing is due to expire in December of this year.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 3:47 PM

The city needs to get on designating it.

Coming from Toronto, it constantly amazes me how much older structures are in Hamilton. There is very little from the first half of the 19th century in Toronto, yet alone the 18th century, and Hamilton is absolutely full of stuff from that era, including probaby a dozen 18th century structures at least.

the City approved demolishing an 18th century storefront in Stoney Creek a few months ago, for example.. It was really more of a shack so I get why, but still neat to see buildings with construction dates in the 1700's mentioned at all.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 5:31 PM
It's a nickname from work

I agree. Especially considering how little stock remains, or ever existed in the first place - you could list the population of the whole former county in the 18th century on the back of a stamp.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 5:54 AM
Hamilton Historian

Someone should contact the city about it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:01 PM

Height: 101.6m

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:42 PM
Hammer'd

"Existing building to be removed"

Not sure if thats referring to the strip mall or 33 Bowen. I'm guessing both.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
"Existing building to be removed"

Not sure if thats referring to the strip mall or 33 Bowen. I'm guessing both.
This development does not include 33 Bowen Street.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
This development does not include 33 Bowen Street.
Good to hear. It would be a shame to lose one of the oldest buildings in the core, never mind the city.

It'll certainly run right up to it, but so does the plaza now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:33 PM

33 Bowen hopefully won't be obscured with this development? Perhaps they could tastefully feature it based on it's unique structure and historical lineage.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
33 Bowen hopefully won't be obscured with this development? Perhaps they could tastefully feature it based on it's unique structure and historical lineage.
Unlikely to be the case with Coletara affiliation: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...1/post-2071671

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton