HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 10:52 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2022 in BRISTOL, England

Bristol's historic centre still retains many old buildings that remind us it was once a major port for the transatlantic trade. However, the cargo wasn't always so glamorous. With Britain gaining more control of the Caribbean islands, there was a need to send workers over to the sugar and tobacco plantations owned by the city's bourgeoisie. In the late 17th century, Bristol ships started to engage in slave trading, and by the late 1730s, Bristol was Britain's top slaving port.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/bristol.htm

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 3:09 AM

Very interesting. My first thought was 'Wow, Bristol, the town that made a lot of money from slave trading.'

I guess I never really saw pictures of Bristol; it somehow looks more ornate than I thought it would be. I guess if it made a lot of money from slave trading, it would indeed have some ornate buildings.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 1:34 PM

Wonderful photos of Bristol. Spoiled somewhat by sopas stupid post. Your professors taught you well. Great photos of LA I'll never visit again.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 6:01 AM

I like the grill above the front door of the Gilbert House!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:47 AM
Hong Kong

A short walk across the river from the historic centre and facing the once busy harbour on top of a red cliff that gives the church its name, St. Mary Redcliffe Church is a Gothic masterpiece whose history dates back some 800 years. Construction of the structure we see today started at the end of the 13th century with the tall spire added in the late 19th.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 10:57 PM
Hong Kong

Born in Bristol in 1974, Banksy has created a number of street art works that have put the city into spotlight. I caught sight of a few interesting street art pieces as I wandered the streets although I wasn't sure whether these are Banksy works. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time during my short visit for a dedicated walking tour.

As I approached the river, I noticed a lot of restaurants along King Street. This area was marsh in the 17th century.

Opened in 1766, the Old Vic is the country's oldest working theatre. It was established by wealthy locals who made their fortunes from the African slave trade.

The timber-framed Llandoger Trow stands out architecturally. It was once favoured by seafarers, where they got their dose of ale and cider since 1664.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos