HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 5:29 PM

Colonel Talbot Road Improvements

Colonel Talbot Road from Southdale Rd W to James St (in Lambeth) will be reconstructed starting next year.

The road currently consists of a rural cross-section (open ditches and shoulders), with no cycling facilities and very few sidewalks along the road. The reconstruction will urbanize the road with curb and gutter, streetlights, intersection improvements, continuous sidewalks and cycling facilities, as well as the planting of trees.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=92335

This is well needed, as we are seeing a lot of development in the southwest end, and there are many more planning applications on the table (such as new subdivisions, townhomes, and apartment buildings) within this corridor.

It also worth noting that a roundabout will be installed at the Southdale and Colonel Talbot intersection in 2024.

Last edited by CanadianTalk; May 5, 2022 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 10:06 PM

Good, that gives me a more firm timeline for when I want to sell my house in Byron and move lol

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:17 AM
User Registered

Crazy they're doing all this but not 4-laning it yet. Too expensive or disruptive to do all at once? Hope they leave sufficient room so it can easily be done in the future.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:55 PM

Ha-ha your a funny one.

The traffic planning geniuses and visionary planners at city hall will rebuild it as a 2 lane road with sewers and curbs at the 2 lane width. No left or right turns lanes or bus bays.

Knowing that this is a major north south route thru the heart of the Southwest Planning Area with access to Lambeth and the 401 and 402 and the Talbotville developments that will see another 50,000 more residents in the next 25 years. Of course they will say in the future that they couldn't have predicted the growth this area would see to explain why they have to rebuild it again at 4 lanes.

Of course our elected leaders could just say we don't want the city to grow like some of our past leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Crazy they're doing all this but not 4-laning it yet. Too expensive or disruptive to do all at once? Hope they leave sufficient room so it can easily be done in the future.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That is what happened to Hyde Park Road. The whole thing was reconstructed, then reopened as a two-lane street. Only a few years later, it was again completely reconstructed, and reopened as a 4-lane stroad.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:58 PM
Mooderator

Perhaps London councillors should rename it Colonel Sanders Road and load it up with a few a few KFC/Taco Bell locations to help pay for it.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 7:31 PM

Construction so nice we had to do it twice!

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Perhaps London councillors should rename it Colonel Sanders Road and load it up with a few a few KFC/Taco Bell locations to help pay for it.
You are on to something here. When I moved here, I started calling Colonel Sanders Road. My wife said: the only thing common is the Colonel part. And I said back: yes, that is all that matters. Plus 11 herbs and spices (which lab tests have revealed to be essentially....salt).

Colonel Saunders Road, and Calgary's Kentucky Bucket tower. Dirty bird all the way.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Well, I was going to dig up another post and update it, but this thread will do lol. The new Petro Canada with A&W at Colonel Talbot and Pack Rd opened today.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Or Bradley Avenue. They just reconstructed the intersection at Bradley and Adelaide and I gotta say, I'm pretty upset at the turnout. They did a half ass pave job on the expanded part of the roads, to get rid of the one island, which made the intersection better. It's all bumpy and already sinking in the road. Never did anything with the timing of the lights, which can anyone tell me why the countdown timer has to be so high? The one at that intersection is almost 30 seconds, and hardly anyone walks across. I feel that every countdown timer in London should be 10 seconds max. The ones I see in Toronto are like 5 seconds on average. But yeah, the amount of our taxpayer money wasted to redo an intersection for over a year, when they should have just expanded the road instead, is ridiculous to me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:44 PM

The Colonel Talbot Road upgrade project will be starting next year.

Project website: https://getinvolved.london.ca/colonel-talbot

From the website, this project includes:
  • Converting Colonel Talbot Road [between Southdale Road West and James Street in Lambeth] from the current 2-lane rural road with ditches and gravel shoulders, to a 2-lane urban road with concrete curbs and gutter.
  • Completing sidewalks through the corridor.
  • Installing new streetlights, boulevard bike paths, landscaping features and pedestrian crossovers.
  • Evaluating the Kilbourne Road intersection for traffic signals or a roundabout, and designing the recommended solution.
  • Introducing new turning lanes and localized medians.
Construction is expected to start in spring 2024 and is anticipated to last until fall 2025 with some minor clean-up work and asphalt paving in spring 2026.

The city will be hosting a public meeting on Tues, June 27th at Lambeth PS from 5pm to 7pm. The project boards from the meeting (showing the current plans) will be published on the project website after the meeting.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:22 PM

Your tax dollars being well spent to add curbs and gutters and new sidewalks but not to address future growth and volume.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Your tax dollars being well spent to add curbs and gutters and new sidewalks but not to address future growth and volume.
Opposed to wasting money widening it now when there are other projects that need that money sooner.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:03 PM

Presentation on the rebuild of the road at advisory committee today.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=100100

2-Lane vs 4-Lane
• A standard 2-lane road can typically
accommodate 1,900 vehicles per hour per lane.
• The Traffic model was prepared based on the
scope of known / planned future developments.
• The largest hourly traffic volume per lane on
Colonel Talbot Road during the AM / PM peak
hours in 2030 is forecasted to be approximately
1,500 vehicles per hour and is in the
northbound direction on the section of Colonel
Talbot Road between Kilbourne Road and Main
Street.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 4:44 PM

Here is the project page for the Southwinds Channel rehabilitation project that completed last fall starting at Colonel Talbot and heading west.

https://getinvolved.london.ca/southwinds-channel

Drone video over flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3gEz8uU7-8

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
The London, Ontario way. They won't think about it until it's too late and traffic is very backed up there. The intersection at Main and Colonel Talbot In Lambeth is bad enough at rush hour. The turn lane advanced is super short, and cars are always backed up.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 1:39 PM

My father in law took a pic of the Southdale/Colonel Talbot roundabout from his balcony at Pomeroy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 9:39 PM

The city held a public update meeting last week regarding the Colonel Talbot Road upgrades. Here is a summary:
  • Phase 1 will start next year (Col Talbot from Southdale roundabout to north of Kilbourne)
  • Phase 2 will start in 2025 (Col Talbot from north of Kilbourne to James St in Lambeth)
  • new left-turn lanes will be added for future streets and developments
  • along west side - new sidewalk will be added south of Pack to connect to sidewalk in Lambeth
  • along east side - new 2-way cycling path (north of Pack), and 2-way multi-use path (south of Pack)
  • new pedestrian crossings and culverts

Video Link

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Nov 5, 2023 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:51 PM

Phase 1 of the Colonel Talbot Rd upgrades will start next week between Clayton Walk (south of Pack Rd) and James Street in Lambeth.

That stretch of Col. Talbot will be closed throughout the entire construction duration (end of May to December).

It appears that the city changed the ordering of the phases. Phase 2 will take place next year (Clayton Walk to Southdale roundabout).

In addition to the above-ground improvements (mentioned in the previous posts), watermain and storm sewer construction, culvert replacements and subdivision servicing will also take place.

https://london.ca/newsroom/public-se...ade-multi-year

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure