Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 3:49 PM

The Small Cities And Towns Booming From Remote Work

The Small Cities And Towns Booming From Remote Work

26th January 2022

By Mark Johanson

Read More: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...om-remote-work

Quote:

With the pandemic decoupling work and place, it’s now possible to live in areas that haven’t historically offered jobs for certain professionals. For some secondary cities and smaller towns, this presents an opportunity to reverse brain drain, counter aging populations and inject money into city coffers. But for others, this new trend has distorted housing markets, priced-out working-class residents and brought big city problems to small cities that were wholly unprepared for them

- The latter scenario has been particularly prevalent in America’s Intermountain West, which is home to the three states with the highest growth percentages between 2020 and 2021: Idaho, Utah and Montana. Oxford Economics recently named Boise, Idaho, the most unaffordable city for US homeowners, thanks to an influx of new remote workers from high-cost coastal cities such as Seattle and San Francisco. The median home price in this city of 235,000 is now $534,950 (£395,000) – 10 times higher than the median income. --- A similar study from Florida Atlantic University, US, showed that three cities in neighbouring Utah – Ogden, Provo and Salt Lake City – were also among America’s top 10 most overvalued housing markets. Danya Rumore, a researcher at the University of Utah and founder of the Gateway and Natural Amenity Region (GNAR) Initiative, lives in the latter. “We used to call it Small Lake City,” she says, “But it’s really starting to feel a lot more like a big city, with the dynamics of the community changing notably.”

- Big-city problems like gentrification, homelessness and air pollution are all on the rise, adds Rumore, while the overheated housing market (exacerbated by short-term rentals) has made it difficult for businesses in the service industry to maintain staff, since employees can’t afford rent. Rumore notes that Salt Lake City, which has a population of about 200,000, is emblematic of other urban centres in the Intermountain West, which are known for having ample natural amenities, good recreation opportunities, access to open space and a high quality of life. --- “With the shift that’s been going on over the last year, we are seeing wealth move into these communities,” she says, noting that many new residents still earn their income in a high-earning area but now live in a lower-earning area. “That’s a major transition that happened overnight that really takes years and years for markets and communities to adjust to.” --- Rumore believes this transition can play out in one of two ways. In the more idealistic scenario, the new arrivals plug into the community, while their wealth and resources lift everyone up. In the scenario she worries may be more common, however, the new arrivals extract from the community, they drive up prices and their purchasing power overwhelms those whose jobs are tied to local companies.

- This trend of migration out of major cities has been somewhat contentious in the US, but it’s taken a different tone across the Atlantic. With a median age of 42, Europe is the oldest continent in the world. For decades, low birth rates and mass migrations to urban centres such as London, Paris and Madrid have left small towns and secondary cities shrinking. For many of them, the pandemic offers a glimmer of hope. --- “There is an unprecedented chance in Europe to save many rural areas,” says Marcus Andersson, CEO of Future Place Leadership, a Stockholm-based consultancy that studied the implications of remote work and new relocation patterns. “Many of them are on the brink of bankruptcy – they can’t survive as functioning places or functioning administrations – and this is a really great opportunity … because they are now attracting the very people they need to attract: those that have kids or are on the way of starting a family.” --- Ireland, where the rural-urban divide dominates politics, has seized the moment like nowhere else in Europe. It made a major push last March to decentralise away from Dublin with a new rural development policy that Rural and Community Development Minister Heather Humphreys said was "the most ambitious and transformational policy for rural Ireland in decades”.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 5:55 PM

Remote work gives me that oil field or cannery job vibe. It will be lucrative and interesting for a little while until it isn't. It seems like a lot of remote workers are also gig oriented and that only lasts until the end of the contract. Remote work as a subset of the economy is here to stay but working at home instead of an office is the equivalent of the hermit living out in the woods by a lake. But all the normal people live in town. That will be most of mainstream America.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 6:52 PM
Never Dell

True, we don't really know what we want yet, and will evolve long after the new normal is established.

PS, I'd love to speak to reporters (all of them) about the power of "metro area," "CSA," and "urban area" rather than their misleading use of city limit populations.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 3:59 PM

Ive anticipated this for a while.

I think this is a great lifeline for smaller communities that have suffered brain drain for decades. A few less finance guys in NYC, Chicago and SF wont be missed. But a handful of them in North Platte, Butte and Lake Charles can completely change those communities economically

What is interesting is what sort of unforeseen impacts this has long term. for one, people in less urban areas tend to have higher birthrates, different politics and priorities. Its going to be pretty fascinating.

Last edited by Obadno; Feb 21, 2022 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 5:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

It will just be a tiny minority of the population in a few years that will probably be working from home. Ive worked from home this whole time and even before covid. But the place I work at now will for sure drag us all back to the office whenever this fiasco is over. I def do not miss the office but working from home is monotonous as hell and I never get a reprieve from work, I answer emails from 10 in the morning until 10 at night. It would be nice to just go to the office and leave it and not have to worry about work until the next day.

Also, with my work in oil and gas I have to use three screens as I have to have loads of documents opened up at once so its not like working from home has made it possible for me to be a nomadic traveler. Cant exactly show up at a starbucks with three screens.

I for sure dont miss the commutes though and having to wake up early. Would be nice if we went into the office like two days a week just to change things up a bit.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It will just be a tiny minority of the population in a few years that will probably be working from home. Ive worked from home this whole time and even before covid. But the place I work at now will for sure drag us all back to the office whenever this fiasco is over. I def do not miss the office but working from home is monotonous as hell and I never get a reprieve from work, I answer emails from 10 in the morning until 10 at night. It would be nice to just go to the office and leave it and not have to worry about work until the next day.

Also, with my work in oil and gas I have to use three screens as I have to have loads of documents opened up at once so its not like working from home has made it possible for me to be a nomadic traveler. Cant exactly show up at a starbucks with three screens.

I for sure dont miss the commutes though and having to wake up early. Would be nice if we went into the office like two days a week just to change things up a bit.
Quite the opposite, my industry seems to be staying remote forever or 3 days in at most wit lots of flexibility for people who want to move to retain talent.

MY office is officially "come in as needed or desired" forever

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 6:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

You must work in tech?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 6:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm in tech. We are RTO on July 5th with maybe of chance of flex; part of week in office/ part home. Most of the industry is eventually going permanent WFH.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 7:17 PM

It seems to me that the best would be a city within commuting distance of an employment center, but with lower land values and maybe more natural beauty.

For Seattle, this would be a place like Bellingham, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
It seems to me that the best would be a city within commuting distance of an employment center, but with lower land values and maybe more natural beauty.

For Seattle, this would be a place like Bellingham, I guess.
You already see this, suburban and exurban development is right back to 2006 levels

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
You must work in tech?
Insurance, I am very client facing so Im in the office all the time but our support staff is basically 100% remote now.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm in tech. We are RTO on July 5th with maybe of chance of flex; part of week in office/ part home. Most of the industry is eventually going permanent WFH.
East Coast tech has already adopted the flex model and been using it for about a year. I don't think 100% permanent wfh will ever be the norm here, nor will 100% on-site.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:12 PM

I haven't read the article but why haven't some of the towns in the Northeast like Burlington and Portland, Maine, experienced a boom with remote work during the pandemic. Boise and Bozeman are certainly growing but these smaller cities in the Northeast are just as nice if you have the flexibility to work remotely.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I haven't read the article but why haven't some of the towns in the Northeast like Burlington and Portland, Maine, experienced a boom with remote work during the pandemic. Boise and Bozeman are certainly growing but these smaller cities in the Northeast are just as nice if you have the flexibility to work remotely.
Not an expert on New England but the one time I was visiting I got the impression those towns are pretty expensive even if small.

Maybe cheap for a Manhattanite but not for a Long Islander or somebody from the suburbs of Boston

The article is more of an international view so its not just specifically about the USA

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:

This was a problem at my organization earlier on in the pandemic with folks (not me tho), but they were big on telling people not to feel obligated to answer emails after 5p. HR even sent an email about it. You just got to turn that thing off if you have to because at the end of the day no one is going to die if you wait to answer that email the next morning versus sending it at 10p. They probably didnt even read it until 8am anyways right?

I think permanent remote work for everyone is not going to be long term but going back to the office 5 days a week will only be true for education and some blue collar industries. Most people in typical office jobs will get at least one day to WFH, if not 2-3. My org has saved so much money on office space that they are only going to renew one office (our Bay Area HQ) while letting all other offices expire. They already let four offices expire in the last year, including the second largest one (LA). They suggested booking a bunch of weworks around the various metros we're in but what is the point of going to a wework if the rest of your team lives near a different location? Might as well be remote.

The future of office towers IMO will be conversions to housing and hotels as people still want to live in the city. We just don't need as many offices and people will attend meetings via metaverses in five years anyway lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Not an expert on New England but the one time I was visiting I got the impression those towns are pretty expensive even if small.

Maybe cheap for a Manhattanite but not for a Long Islander or somebody from the suburbs of Boston

The article is more of an international view so its not just specifically about the USA
I think that is right. Burlington and Portland are relatively affordable if you are moving from New York or Boston but they aren't really affordable compared to the rest of the country.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 12:17 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Burlington doesn't need anymore people up from Manhattan further HGTV'ing the place up even further. Part of what makes Vermont so appealing is that it's quaint and small town. A shit load of NY'ers will dilute that. Portland is quite a bit bigger and already has mini Boston vibe.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 1:51 AM

Prescott in AZ could be included in this list, maybe even Flagstaff, but Prescott is closer to the Phoenix metro while still being its own place and I think a lot more people move out of Phoenix to the Prescott area than to Flagstaff. I could be very wrong about that though.

I wonder if the Reno/Carson area is also experiencing what Boise is?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:05 AM
E pluribus unum

I wouldn't be surprised if more Californians than Phonecians are moving to Flagstaff. Lots of kids from California attend NAU, but a lot of retirees from California apparently also move to Prescott.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Prescott in AZ could be included in this list, maybe even Flagstaff, but Prescott is closer to the Phoenix metro while still being its own place and I think a lot more people move out of Phoenix to the Prescott area than to Flagstaff. I could be very wrong about that though.

I wonder if the Reno/Carson area is also experiencing what Boise is?
All the towns of Northern AZ, Prescott, the Verde Valley (Jerome and AZ wine country), Sedona and lastly Flagstaff are all seeing sustained growth. (Not to scale)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions