HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 3:43 PM

Everest Peaks [1740-1760 St Laurent Blvd] | up to 48m | 2 x 12f, 2 x 15f | Proposed

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Other than saving the St. Hubert, which is awesome, that proposal is suburban garbage.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Other than saving the St. Hubert, which is awesome, that proposal is suburban garbage.
It'll fit right in with Trainyards, then.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:54 PM

I don't love it but its much better than the "towers in a park(ing lot)" developments that plague other parts of St Laurent. Theres surface parking yes, but at least its limited and tucked behind the buildings. And walk up commercial space on almost the entire St Laurent facing first floor is very nice. The green space right beside the parking lot and balconies staring at your neighbor's balcony leaves something to be desired but overall I think a development like this will be good for the area.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
I don't love it but its much better than the "towers in a park(ing lot)" developments that plague other parts of St Laurent. Theres surface parking yes, but at least its limited and tucked behind the buildings. And walk up commercial space on almost the entire St Laurent facing first floor is very nice. The green space right beside the parking lot and balconies staring at your neighbor's balcony leaves something to be desired but overall I think a development like this will be good for the area.
It is pushed up to the street, which is okay, but the whole thing looks like it was designed to facilitate car access to all of the buildings. There is not one area in the complex that looks like it would be remotely pleasant for pedestrians. If you told me that this was actually designed in 1968, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:13 PM

But, but, but... what will happen to 168 Sushi?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:33 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
This is part of the Everest Heights project. First two smaller towers located right behind these are scheduled to start late 2021/early 2022.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
But, but, but... what will happen to 168 Sushi?
If I'm understanding the plan correctly, it is unaffected.

It looks like the St Hubert will move to a new tower where the Petro-Canada is currently, and there will be another tower built where St Hubert is currently.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post
It looks like the St Hubert will move to a new tower where the Petro-Canada is currently, and there will be another tower built where St Hubert is currently.
Source? I would really hate to lose that St Hubert.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Source? I would really hate to lose that St Hubert.
The rendering on page 8 of the PDF linked above? (http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-21-0177.PDF)

Actually- I realized I was wrong about the 168 Sushi; this property extends to that site as well, so those buildings will also be demolished for the same tower that will replace the existing St-Hubert. It has ground floor commercial, so something may come back eventually...

Here is the thread for the previously approved phase to the west: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=240653 ("Everest Heights" as mentioned above).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:00 PM

Waaait a minute lol, what's wrong with this project??? Seriously looks good, good size, good location

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It is pushed up to the street, which is okay, but the whole thing looks like it was designed to facilitate car access to all of the buildings. There is not one area in the complex that looks like it would be remotely pleasant for pedestrians. If you told me that this was actually designed in 1968, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
IN the complex I totally agree but I think the retail frontage improves the pedestrian experience of St Laurent overall. Its a drop in the bucket improvement and I still have 0 hope for St Laurent to ever be a place I would want to walk around but I think this is an improvement nonetheless.

For a 6 lane stroad surrounded by strip mall parking lots I think this type of development is the best we can hope for.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
IN the complex I totally agree but I think the retail frontage improves the pedestrian experience of St Laurent overall. Its a drop in the bucket improvement and I still have 0 hope for St Laurent to ever be a place I would want to walk around but I think this is an improvement nonetheless.

For a 6 lane stroad surrounded by strip mall parking lots I think this type of development is the best we can hope for.
No doubt that the retail frontage is an improvement (although the current St. Hubert is essentially right on the street). I just think that with a development this big, it can have its own pedestrian environment. Sure people will use cars there for the foreseeable future, but why not have a single car entrance to underground parking which accesses all of the buildings? The whole ground level could be people-friendly inside the complex, and connect to the residential behind.

I think that we have to demand better, unless we want another 50 years of status quo on St. Laurent.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:24 PM
Busy Beaver

I think it looks OK overall except the retail facades are the least attractive feature of the design. The wide brick walls and narrow strip windows look heavy and uninviting.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1740-1760 St-Laurent Blvd | up to 48m | 2 x 12f, 2 x 15f | Proposed

Groupe Heafey is proposing a development that includes four (4) high-rise apartment buildings on the subject lands at 1740-1760 St-Laurent Boulevard, which range in height from 12 to 15 storeys. The development is proposed to be accessed from St. Laurent Boulevard, extending Everest Private from the west. This access entrance will be upgraded to a full movement access with a traffic signal control as part of the right-of-way works contemplated for this development. Bollards placed within Everest Private west of the subject lands will segment vehicular traffic, with access to the proposed development limited from St. Laurent Boulevard. A hydro easement is located along the northern and eastern edge of the property.

The extension of Everest Private through the centre of the subject lands will provide access to the interior of the proposed development from St. Laurent Boulevard and provide pedestrian connections and emergency vehicle access to the Alta Vista Ridge developments. Everest Private will also provide vehicular access for Tower 1, which includes the parking lot and at-grade drive through facility for the restaurant. A second vehicular access is provided at the south end of 1760 St-Laurent Boulevard, which will provide access to surface parking and the underground parking entrance for Towers 3 and 4. Vehicles can exit the surface parking and underground parking access between Tower 4 and Tower 3 and reach Everest Private through the driveway beneath a cantilevered portion of the Tower 3 podium. This configuration will allow vehicles to exit and turn left onto St-Laurent Boulevard through the proposed signalized intersection.

The parking will consist of three (3) underground levels divided into two parking garages. Tower 1 and Tower 2 will share one of the parking garages, with the other shared between Tower 3 and Tower 4. Underground parking entrances for both garages are proposed in the interior of the site, with Tower 2 providing access on its east side and Tower 4 providing access on its southeast façade.

Tower 1 is a 15-storey mixed use building located at 1740 St-Laurent Boulevard, replacing the existing gas station at the northeast corner of the subject lands (Figure 13). The building is proposed to accommodate a drive-through St-Hubert restaurant on the ground floor. Approximately 1,176 square metres of commercial space is proposed at grade and in a mezzanine space for additional dining above the ground floor. The mezzanine opens onto a second-floor terrace for use by the restaurant located on the south side of the podium. To reinforce this commercial presence at grade, the podium design includes a change in colour and materials for the restaurant portion of the façade. The commercial façade is also replicated on Tower 3 for its commercial presence along St-Laurent Boulevard.

Tower 2 is a 12-storey residential building located on the western half of 1740 St-Laurent Boulevard on the site of the existing parking lot. This building is proposed as entirely residential, with the underground parking access provided via separate entry and exit points at grade on the east and north sides of the building, respectively. Surface parking spaces are proposed between Tower 2 and Tower 1, accessed by the driveway connecting from Everest Private. The driveway leads to the underground parking access and the drive-through beneath Tower 1. Additionally, surface parking is located on the north side of Tower 2 beneath a terrace covering the underground parking exit.

Tower 3 is a 15-storey mixed-use residential building spanning the front half of 1754 and 1760 St-Laurent Boulevard. Currently, this is where the St-Hubert’s restaurant operates in addition to the commercial plaza at 1760 St-Laurent Boulevard. A total of 1,364 m2 of commercial space is proposed, including ground floor and second floor spaces. A loading space located at the rear of the commercial units on the west façade will serve the tenants. As discussed for Tower 1, Tower 3 also replicates the same commercial podium along St-Laurent Boulevard creating a defined streetscape along this approximately 155-metre-long frontage.

Tower 4 is a 12-storey residential building located on the rear western portions of 1754 and 1760 St-Laurent Boulevard. Currently, this area is used for surface parking by the commercial uses on the east side of the property. The tower is accessible via an entrance that fronts onto Everest Private across from the entrance of Tower 2. The access to the underground parking is located at the southwest corner of the building below grade. The building is similar to Tower 3 in its L-shaped form, which frames the garden amenity area. Residential units have access to private balconies along all facades of the building. Two terraces are created by stepbacks above the 12th floor on the north and southwest side of the building.

Architect: Lapalme Rheault Architecte & PMA Architectes

Developer site:
https://groupeheafey.com/location/ottawa/

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0177/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Jan 23, 2024 at 6:45 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Some parts of it look suburban, but other parts look urban. It has more of a town center look and feel than anything in Kanata or Orleans.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:53 PM

I love this proposal. Buildings look great hope it turns out like this.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:32 PM

Is this currently under construction? I drove on St Laurent a couple of weeks ago and saw a building of several stories under construction around here in the back.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 7:55 PM

Looks like this project is by Groupe Heafey (same group that did VIU and WE in Gatineau) and they're calling it Everest Peaks
https://groupeheafey.com/en/portfolio/everest-peaks/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa