HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Rumors

I got a couple of good rumors from the same person that gave me the heads up about Nike!

1. Google is taking 500K sqft Phase II of 1105 West Peachtree (Exchange Building). Ultimately Google is planning a 5K person campus in Midtown. I suspect they will need a couple of more buildings to house this many people.

2. Back in April I posted a video of the CEO of Blackrock saying they are planning to expand their operations in Atlanta to 3000 people.
https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...130331139?s=20

It looks like Blackrock is taking all of the Phase II building at 725 Ponce!

Last edited by He's Back; Aug 10, 2021 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Google is planning a 5000K person campus in Midtown

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Oops, I meant 5K job campus

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:44 PM

What about the Cousin's Tower? Isn't it suppose to start soon?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
What about the Cousin's Tower? Isn't it suppose to start soon?
Not sure. With that said, Cousins' CEO on their Quarterly Investor call stressed Atlanta's Pipeline of relocations, moves and expansion are the best ever.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:41 PM

Hey "He's Back"...any more info on that rumor about a Disney Studio development in the metro area.

As it stands now, they have been primarily using Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood) for so many of their MARVEL productions in the U.S. but they are only leasing that space as needed.

In my opinion, this concept of a Georgia studio is probably a strategic business move on the part of Disney. If they “put down roots” and build an actual "Disney" funded studio here in the state, it would solidify their presence here.

I believe their thinking is that when the predominately Republican (conservative) run Georgia state government does something that their primarily Democratic (Liberal) employee base does not agree with, their calls to boycott the state will find less of a foot-hold in a state where they have actual “Bricks & Mortar” roots. Similar to a tree, if Disney grows deep financial and communal roots here, they are less likely to be uprooted.

I say this because you don’t see Hollywood asking Disney to boycott the State of Florida each time DeSantis makes a move that is disliked by Hollywood.

Of course I’m only guessing that this is their thinking, otherwise I don’t think they would risk putting down roots in a Conservative state.

Any more info or ideas on this?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 10:30 PM

Y'allywood insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Hey "He's Back"...any more info on that rumor about a Disney Studio development in the metro area.

As it stands now, they have been primarily using Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood) for so many of their MARVEL productions in the U.S. but they are only leasing that space as needed.

In my opinion, this concept of a Georgia studio is probably a strategic business move on the part of Disney. If they “put down roots” and build an actual "Disney" funded studio here in the state, it would solidify their presence here.

I believe their thinking is that when the predominately Republican (conservative) run Georgia state government does something that their primarily Democratic (Liberal) employee base does not agree with, their calls to boycott the state will find less of a foot-hold in a state where they have actual “Bricks & Mortar” roots. Similar to a tree, if Disney grows deep financial and communal roots here, they are less likely to be uprooted.

I say this because you don’t see Hollywood asking Disney to boycott the State of Florida each time DeSantis makes a move that is disliked by Hollywood.

Of course I’m only guessing that this is their thinking, otherwise I don’t think they would risk putting down roots in a Conservative state.

Any more info or ideas on this?
So, I can offer a little insight into this.

1) Georgia may be losing Netflix to NJ. That state is pushing strongly against Georgia with incentives that match us but without the complicated and controversial politics. Netflix has been looking to buy a studio for over a year but hasn't been able to do so. Now NJ is offering them a package where they can build one there at nearly zero cost.

2) Disney has been quiet when it comes to filming in GA for political reasons. They filmed Black Panther 2 here, but definitely downplayed it. I suspect until a democrat takes the governorship, they won't make a big move like that for PR reasons.

3) Keep an eye on Warner Brothers. They may be the bigger economic driver for Georgia than Disney and Netflix.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 3:03 AM

Thanks for the info. OTPandproud1974

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:46 PM

What about 50 Allen Plaza?

Downtown needs that one.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPandProud1974 View Post
So, I can offer a little insight into this.

1) Georgia may be losing Netflix to NJ. That state is pushing strongly against Georgia with incentives that match us but without the complicated and controversial politics. Netflix has been looking to buy a studio for over a year but hasn't been able to do so. Now NJ is offering them a package where they can build one there at nearly zero cost.

2) Disney has been quiet when it comes to filming in GA for political reasons. They filmed Black Panther 2 here, but definitely downplayed it. I suspect until a democrat takes the governorship, they won't make a big move like that for PR reasons.

3) Keep an eye on Warner Brothers. They may be the bigger economic driver for Georgia than Disney and Netflix.

Netflix may build a studio, but they produce so much content that they'll always have a presence in Georgia... it's cheap to film here plus we have the workforce and infrastructure that other cheap states don't have. Netflix will follow the savings always.

Also, he's right about Warner Brothers. Warner Media might be reworking how their whole former AT&T, Turner and HBO chunks of the company look, but they know Atlanta is a very convenient and profitable place for them to run a lot of operations.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:36 PM

Ironically, the best way to put an end to the controversial politics would be to relocate thousands of Hollywood Elites here...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What about 50 Allen Plaza?

Downtown needs that one.
I heard the beginning of 2021 Drapac Capital Partners had 4 companies looking at the project that are big enough to start the construction. I haven't heard any updates since.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:25 AM

Any news on the NOpus site? Why don't they just sell it already?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:20 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:30 AM

Nopus is being sued by their architect, contractors, maybe lenders. It'll take quite a while to clear all court dockets and process judgement liens, and the lawyers will be eating steak. One of our legals please advise if a judge could possibly force a sale.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:17 PM

Y'all, be adults. Don't call each other names.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Any news on the NOpus site?...
The pool needs some attention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta