HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:15 PM

Walkable neighborhoods of Ottawa

I'm trying to compile a list of walkable neighborhoods in Ottawa-Gatineau. There's the obvious ones. But I'm looking for ideas that people might not think of.

Would love ideas from the forum.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 1:06 AM

What is defined as a walkable neighborhood?

Last edited by DarthVader_1961; Apr 25, 2021 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Correct typo

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:53 AM

I would like to mention Old Aylmer/Aylmer Marina that I did NOT know existed until 8-9 years ago:

You have groceries, pharmacy, local restaurants, brewery, specialty food stores, farmers market on weekends, marina redevelopment, public beach, parks for kids, indoor hockey, ice skating, schools, library (design competition selections made, now being released to public), some health care, LRT in future.

More development, new storefronts, some densification will help (and is happening now) along the Main Street.

I have a few friends 20-35 that have moved there (on my recommendation) and are VERY happy. With more affordable housing stock they have disposable income to enjoy themselves, even in some cases on relatively modest incomes.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 1:18 PM

It depends on your definition of Walkable Neighbourhood. Are you looking for locations with traditional storefronts facing a main street or are you looking for neighbourhoods that have a good selection of amenities in walking distance? For example, Blackburn Hamlet has a good selection of stores, banks, gas station, some restaurants, grocery store, pub, pharmacies, dentists, doctors, arena, community hall and library all at a central location within walking distance of all homes, but these are located in plazas, not on a traditional main street.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 2:59 PM

Maybe not a finished product yet, but near where I am, the stretch of Carling between Holly Acres and Pinecrest. Along Carling you've got restaurants, the movie theatre, pharmacies and specialty grocers.

Along the river is an outstanding stretch of greenspace from Andy Haydon Park, Britannia Beach and Mud lake.

The traffic increase along that stretch during the pandemic makes me think we need a third center passing lane on the path.

With a bit of investment and beautification (and full grocery) along Carling the area could be great.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:16 PM

Most of Osgoode Village is actually quite walkable.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
What is defined as a walkable neighborhood?
For me, it's a walk score above 70 and a transit score above 50. Where I can get most of my daily needs (from groceries to coffee) within a 10-15 min walk from anywhere in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
For me, it's a walk score above 70 and a transit score above 50. Where I can get most of my daily needs (from groceries to coffee) within a 10-15 min walk from anywhere in the neighbourhood.
When I lived in Gloucester I had a 67 walk score and a 68 transit store. But the walkability was terrible. Sidewalks did not exist on most streets or they were adjacent to narrow, high traffic streets. Lighting was terrible, sidewalk ploughing was rare. I often had to cross 8 lanes of traffic (plus right turn exit ramps).

It was a driver’s paradise though.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
When I lived in Gloucester I had a 67 walk score and a 68 transit store. But the walkability was terrible. Sidewalks did not exist on most streets or they were adjacent to narrow, high traffic streets. Lighting was terrible, sidewalk ploughing was rare. I often had to cross 8 lanes of traffic (plus right turn exit ramps).

It was a driver’s paradise though.
I am being generous. My condo right now is at a walk score of 51 and a transit score of 74, being beside Cyrville station. So approximately 70 on both would be pretty decent from my perspective. I lived in New Edinburgh a decade and a half back. Walk score there is 80 today. And a transit score of 57. Was probably well over 70 even when I lived there. Based on those experiences, I'd say a walk score of 70 and a transit score of 55 is probably my minimum, with a target of 75/60. I can accept that walkable neighbourhoods probably don't have high transit scores usually. And their bike scores tend to take a hit sometimes too.

Keep in mind that walk score simply draws data on what's around from a map. They aren't really great at determining whether the streets are laid out to make walking pleasant. That requires judgement. But also, if there's stuff to walk to, I think people are somewhat willing to put up with crappy sidewalks. In any event, I am wondering if there's neighbourhoods that are missed. People mostly only tend of think the Wellington/Richmond and Bank St Corridors.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:
I am being generous. My condo right now is at a walk score of 51 and a transit score of 74, being beside Cyrville station. So approximately 70 on both would be pretty decent from my perspective. I lived in New Edinburgh a decade and a half back. Walk score there is 80 today. And a transit score of 57. Was probably well over 70 even when I lived there. Based on those experiences, I'd say a walk score of 70 and a transit score of 55 is probably my minimum, with a target of 75/60. I can accept that walkable neighbourhoods probably don't have high transit scores usually. And their bike scores tend to take a hit sometimes too.

Keep in mind that walk score simply draws data on what's around from a map. They aren't really great at determining whether the streets are laid out to make walking pleasant. That requires judgement. But also, if there's stuff to walk to, I think people are somewhat willing to put up with crappy sidewalks. In any event, I am wondering if there's neighbourhoods that are missed. People mostly only tend of think the Wellington/Richmond and Bank St Corridors.
I think those corridors plus new ed are probably it, unfortunately. Everything else central is postwar suburbia or old villages that were totally destroyed (like Cyrville).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
I think those corridors plus new ed are probably it, unfortunately. Everything else central is postwar suburbia or old villages that were totally destroyed (like Cyrville).
How do I get my walk score

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:27 AM

Quote:
How do I get my walk score
Put in your address here:

https://www.walkscore.com/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
For now? Yes. But I do some decent potential along the major avenues cutting through Vanier, the Manor Park redevelopment. And even this pocket near Cyrville station with all the development coming. They won't ever hit 80. But I could see them getting to low 70s.

I'm starting to think though that what most people consider "walkable" is probably 80+.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Apr 26, 2021 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
For now? Yes. But I do some decent potential along the major avenues cutting through Vanier, the Manor Park redevelopment. And even this pocket near Cyrville station with all the development coming. They won't ever hit 80. But I could see them getting to low 70s.

I'm starting to think though that what most people consider "walkable" is probably 80+.
But is the city going to make changes to make them physically walkable? My brother lived in a condo near Kipling a few years ago. In theory there was lots of stuff in walking distance (besides the transit stations) but in practice nobody seemed to walk anywhere (except the transit stations).

“Urban” streets are expensive. I have not seen a lot of evidence the city is willing to put that kind of money into suburban areas, or sacrifice lanes.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virplex View Post
It depends on your definition of Walkable Neighbourhood. Are you looking for locations with traditional storefronts facing a main street or are you looking for neighbourhoods that have a good selection of amenities in walking distance? For example, Blackburn Hamlet has a good selection of stores, banks, gas station, some restaurants, grocery store, pub, pharmacies, dentists, doctors, arena, community hall and library all at a central location within walking distance of all homes, but these are located in plazas, not on a traditional main street.
Blackburn is without contest the best performing of the postwar suburbs in this regard, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:19 AM

Walk about around Bayshore mall? With the Walmart Super Centre you have basically all the shopping you need. A Movie theatre over on Carling. Recreation in Bayshore park and one of the better parks in the city at Andrew Haydon park.

Granted I am not sure there is any decent housing in that pocket but I think it meets most of the test even if unconventional.

What about Chelsea and Wakefield? They are missing services but have potential with traditional main streets.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Put in your address here:

https://www.walkscore.com/
I get very strange results..

I live at the corner of Bank and heron.. 1161 heron to be exact.. what is returned is not even in Ottawa...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I get very strange results..

I live at the corner of Bank and heron.. 1161 heron to be exact.. what is returned is not even in Ottawa...
https://www.walkscore.com/score/1161...tawa-on-canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 12:38 PM
Busy Beaver

Walk Score has gone awry for Westboro. For example if I plug in the address for the Shoppers on 410 Richmond Road, it only gives a paltry score of 75 despite being extremely walkable. It lists groceries being mediocre while the location sells groceries and the Superstore and Farm Boy are a few blocks away! Also the Transit Score is only 75 even though Dominion Station/future Kichi Sibi LRT is about 300m away and the 11 runs frequently by its door. Go figure

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Wrightville in north-central Hull (just west of Les Galeries) gets a walkscore of around 85 when I type in a range of addresses.

It's got the mall within walking distance of course but there are also lots of things along St-Joseph itself including banks, restaurants, cafés, pastry shops, medical clinics, SAQ, opticians, pharmacies, lingerie shops, sk8r shops, grocery stores, government services, hair salons, a Walmart, an STO service point, bookstores, etc.

There is also lots of transit service on St-Joseph and on some neighbourhood streets, and there is a Rapibus station on the other side of the mall that most of the walk to and from can be indoors (through the mall).

It's actually a way more complete and walkable neighbourhood than downtown (Vieux-Hull) is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues