HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:24 AM

Undeveloped Land in Ottawa

Here is a thread to discuss the last great spaces for development in our City. I will post some lots and hopefully we can share insight on whether the lot will ever be developed and what we would like to see on it.

This lot would be an amazing space for residential development, perhaps some mid-high rises with beautiful river views. It's primo real estate for the thousands of employees on the DND campus. On GeoOttawa it appears to be the same parcel as Abbott Point of Care. I wonder if they own the land and have plans for it or if it might be sold off to a developer.

[IMG]ABBOTT by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]ABBOTT2 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:27 AM

I know this land has been discussed many times before but I can't remember what the consensus was on whether/when it will be developed. It would be great to discuss it again in this thread!

[IMG]Riverside2 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Riverside by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:33 AM

If the Experimental Farms divests itself of another parcel any time in the near future I hope it is this premium riverside real estate. This would be a great place to live and it doesn't appear to be a field of any importance or heritage.

[IMG]Experimental by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Experimental2 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

That Experimental Farm land is the exact tract that the Canadensis National Botanical Garden project has their eye on.

https://jardincanadensisgarden.ca

We have a thread for it here:
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223533

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:04 AM

How about Mile Circle? I know it will probably never be touched, but it’s such a wasted space - neither park nor, afaik, conservation area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Here is a thread to discuss the last great spaces for development in our City. I will post some lots and hopefully we can share insight on whether the lot will ever be developed and what we would like to see on it.

This lot would be an amazing space for residential development, perhaps some mid-high rises with beautiful river views. It's primo real estate for the thousands of employees on the DND campus. On GeoOttawa it appears to be the same parcel as Abbott Point of Care. I wonder if they own the land and have plans for it or if it might be sold off to a developer.
As far as I am aware, the DND Carling Campus, Abbott point of Care, and the public school are all inside of the greenbelt, and all operate with a lease from the NCC.

either way its currently listed as RU so its technically not inside the urban boundary and can not be developed more for anything without significant zoning changes.

EDIT:

To add to my comment, if were going to start talking about undeveloped land that should be developed, I put forward in combination with the Barhaven LRT the land bounded by Hunt Club, Woodroffe, Greenbank and Fallowfield. Which would put 824 Hectares of land inside the Urban Boundary to which that can be easily serviced by existing infrastructure and be built as a transit oriented development, but alas the sacred cow that is the Greenbelt with its fallow fields shall never be touched.

Last edited by Williamoforange; Nov 13, 2020 at 4:20 AM. Reason: To add a relevant comment

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:14 AM

Wow that's cool Rocketphish! I never saw that thread but it's a great idea for the land!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
As far as I am aware, the DND Carling Campus, Abbott point of Care, and the public school are all inside of the greenbelt, and all operate with a lease from the NCC.

either way its currently listed as RU so its technically not inside the urban boundary and can not be developed more for anything without significant zoning changes.
I found this map from 1996 where the land north of Abbott is listed as 'rural landscape' and part of the greenbelt. I hope they seriously consider cutting some lots like this off the greenbelt in the future.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How about Mile Circle? I know it will probably never be touched, but it’s such a wasted space - neither park nor, afaik, conservation area.
That would be an incredible space for development and you are right, it's totally redundant greenspace with no real purpose at all. I imagine the NCC owns it and I don't think they are quite on board with 'intensification', they would rather keep their fields and mini highways between the city and the water.

milecircle by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:45 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
I know this land has been discussed many times before but I can't remember what the consensus was on whether/when it will be developed. It would be great to discuss it again in this thread!

I want a sci-fi-worthy futuristic linear city here!

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:56 AM

According to my Google Earth estimate, the strip mall wastelands on Innes and Trainyards cover an area 3.5 times the size of Lebreton Flats. These areas also have the room to easily build rapid transit. We could build whole new satellite downtowns there.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 2:26 PM

what needs to be talked about is the giant wasteland that trinity center tenants will wake up too, anybody have info on this? I'm assuming devs are drooling over this

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
That would be an incredible space for development and you are right, it's totally redundant greenspace with no real purpose at all. I imagine the NCC owns it and I don't think they are quite on board with 'intensification', they would rather keep their fields and mini highways between the city and the water.

milecircle by harley613, on Flickr
Although it's not undeveloped land, you can pick out in that photo the Manor Park Estates and Manor Park Heights properties that will be redeveloped (at much higher densities, one assumes) over the next 30 years. 35 acres in total.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:

When I saw your first post I immediately thought of this piece. It does have some issues.. hydro corridor along the north edge, rail line right through the middle (although hardly used), airport parkway along the east edge. It also does serve as a pretty great place to hike or run through.

I know in one of the transit threads someone had brought up the idea of running a future transit line on the existing railway line which would make this piece even more exciting.

Do we even know who owns it?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideauRat View Post
what needs to be talked about is the giant wasteland that trinity center tenants will wake up too, anybody have info on this? I'm assuming devs are drooling over this
All of the 'dirt' area in this image will eventually become an 'Innovation Village' headed up by the Innovation Centre at Bayview Yards (white roof at the top of the 'dirt'). Currently it went from snow dump to Confederation Line laydown area, and back to snow dump.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:44 PM

While I'm fairly sure neither Lafarge nor the RCMP would be willing to part with their lands north of Blackburn, it would be a nice addition for more density (on solid bedrock no less) in this part of town (not far from montreal stn as well)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:26 PM

I know this area is considered protected farm land but I've always thought it would be a great area to design a mid/high-density mixed use neighborhood. Baseline(with BRT) could could be extended into the area and act as its main artery. A pedestrian bridge over the 417 could connect the upper area to Moodie station. In the distant future the rail line to the south could be developed to support a commuter rail line.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:34 PM

Going through the parcels presented so far:
  • Abbott Pharmaceutical - mid-rises on Carling and behind Abbott with urban towns and walk-ups in between, an MUP along the western edge to Moodie station. Leave the wooded area along Moodie or transform into proper park space with sports fields and play structures.
  • Hunt Club - much harder because of the Airport Parkway. Something like Le Plateau in Gatineau, with a few 3 storey walk-ups closest to the Parkway and better connections to Greenboro station, singles and townhomes in the middle and mid-rises along Riverside. The road network is very limited with few opportunities to improve it, so density would need to be limited.
  • Experimental Farm - stick with current Botanical Garden plan.
  • Mile Circle - an AGORA type redevelopment. This would help the existing neighbourhoods access more commercial options with walking/biking distance.
  • Bayview Yards - currently plans are sufficient, with high-rises near Bayview station stepping down towards Bayview Innovation Yards.
  • Bells Junction - high and mid-rises on the upper left corner, with improved pedestrian/cycling connections (extra-wide MUP bridge?). Build a BRT through the former railway RoW to Bayshore station and extend Baseline+BRT to MUP bridge connecting Moodie station. Mid-rises on both sides of BRTs. The rest would be walk-ups. Commercial (retail) core in the middle around the BRTs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues