HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 5:23 AM

1510 NE Multnomah St Phase II | Multiple Buildings | Dead

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by Holst Architecture regarding 1510 NE Multnomah St:

Quote:
New mixed use development of 2, 6 story 1st floor retail/live work apartment buildings. Approximately 520 market rate units with below grade parking.
(I'm unclear if this relates to the recently approved project, or the second phase on the cinemas site.)

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 7:50 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a new mixed use development. Two buildings are proposed: one on the north and and one on the south side of NE Multnomah Street. Each building will be 6 stories tall with ground floor retail space and live/work units. Approximately 520 market rate residential units are proposed with approximately 400 below grade parking spaces. The entrances to
the structured parking are from existing private driveways.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 12:24 AM
Semi-Lurker

Interesting. I didn't know there were plans to develop the lot on the North side of Multnomah. It makes perfect sense that they would. It will be interesting to see what adding over a thousand apartments to this area will do for the general feel of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 11:03 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Interesting. I didn't know there were plans to develop the lot on the North side of Multnomah. It makes perfect sense that they would. It will be interesting to see what adding over a thousand apartments to this area will do for the general feel of the neighborhood.
The Lloyd District is on the path to becoming a major urban neighborhood east of the Willamette.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:01 PM

So I guess this is how the Lloyd Center ends. Chipped away at, piece by piece.

Design Advice has been requested by Holst Architects for 1510 NE Multnomah St (Phase II):

Quote:
Proposal is to develop the existing parking east of Sears and the site currently occupied by Lloyd cinemas into a mixed use community.
The project has also been submitted for Type III Design Review:

Quote:
Project is for new development on site currently occupied by Lloyd cinemas and the existing parking lot east of Sears into a mixed use community. It will include three “5-over-1” buildings that together contain 520 apartment units. Buildings 1 & 2 share underground parking facility for resident use only.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:22 PM

I think its clear that if the city continues growing the Lloyd center's days are numbered. What's unfortunate is that there does not seem to be any coherent vision for what that location could become. Rather than letting the owner opportunistically sell off bits and pieces to developers the city should require they do some broader master planning of the site. This site has the potential to be a spectacular piece of urban fabric if done right, or an unfortunate hodge podge of development if it is not.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:04 PM
BANNED

I don't think Lloyd center mall is going anywhere anytime soon. Their in the middle of a huge multi million dollar remodel.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:50 PM

Well, here's the trend:
  • Nordstrom closed, and is still vacant
  • Lloyd Mall 8 cinemas closed, and got converted into office space
  • Lloyd 10 cinemas parking lot is set to be redeveloped into housing / retail
  • Sears is going to close
and now
  • Lloyd 10 cinemas are going to be developed...
  • ...as is the parking lot east of Sears
Do I think the Lloyd Center is going to close in the next two years? No. Do I think it will close within the next 25 years? Yes.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jan 5, 2017 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:44 PM
BANNED

True.

So you think this expensive remodel their doing now is just a temporary lipstick on a pig as the saying goes?

I guess if the money makes sense the price of the remodel will be dwarfed by the potential of the overall development of the mall will make the owners

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:05 AM

Without looking into what it cost to redo the skating rink, I can say this. I went twice over the holidays and the rink is a pleasure to visit. It is clean, the equipment is nice and new and the flow through the area is tremendously improved. I can only see it inviting more people in since it is such an improvement.

As for the rest of the place, I cannot comment.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Without looking into what it cost to redo the skating rink, I can say this. I went twice over the holidays and the rink is a pleasure to visit. It is clean, the equipment is nice and new and the flow through the area is tremendously improved. I can only see it inviting more people in since it is such an improvement.

As for the rest of the place, I cannot comment.
How many people go to the mall to ice skate though? With other MAJOR draws the mall could succeed. However they are about to lose their unattached theater, perhaps their last major tenants (Sears and Macys are looking shaky) and have to deal with the gradual reduction of small tenants to online sales.

What are we left with? A food court filled with 80s-90s era food tenants and national chain stores clinging on by fingernails? There's no draw, no reason to go there...uhumm, with the exception of the ice rink.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Jan 5, 2017 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
So I guess this is how the Lloyd Center ends. Chipped away at, piece by piece.

Design Advice has been requested by Holst Architects for 1510 NE Multnomah St (Phase II):

The project has also been submitted for Type III Design Review:
So disappointed that the pretty 1510 NE Multnomah conceptual full-build renderings, with urban higher-rise building on the Regal site, became a proposed wood frame over concrete building(s).

That it's crossing the street onto the Lloyd mall parking lot is surprising to me though.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:31 PM

Design Advice hearing now scheduled for February 16th.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 1:22 AM

Drawings [PDF - 50MB]. Shows a new cinemas (by others) where Sears is now.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 50MB]. Shows a new cinemas (by others) where Sears is now.
This is going to feel like Riverplace at build out. Odd, no character, short, temporary, suburban.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:05 AM

What gets me is the lack of longer term planning or vision for this area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
What gets me is the lack of longer term planning or vision for this area.
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
This is going to feel like Riverplace at build out. Odd, no character, short, temporary, suburban.
How do you feel about the "character" of Phase I, Mark? Seems to me that Phase II would be a logical extension of that work, particularly since the same architect is involved. These renderings are nothing more than massing studies at this point. The building forms in general seem to follow suit re those expressed in Phase I, so might we assume that a similar character will be revealed in subsequent and more detailed renderings down the road?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:20 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
How do you feel about the "character" of Phase I, Mark? Seems to me that Phase II would be a logical extension of that work, particularly since the same architect is involved. These renderings are nothing more than massing studies at this point. The building forms in general seem to follow suit re those expressed in Phase I, so might we assume that a similar character will be revealed in subsequent and more detailed renderings down the road?
I am with you on this, these are just massing models, not what will actually be built. In general, I am actually pretty pleased with the size of the buildings planned for that area, and it is good to see a new theater will be built and incorporated back into the mall. As it stands, it looks like the mall isn't going anywhere, so it makes sense to add to it and make it an extension of the neighborhood.

Based on the renderings, I could see this part of the Lloyd District becoming a much more pedestrian friendly area as it gets rid of a number of surface lots and replaces them with functioning buildings.

Overall, I am pleased with the direction the Lloyd District has been heading, and could see that area becoming a very busy urban district within the next 10 years.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:24 PM

I like tall buildings as much as the next guy, but I don't think a development that will add 520 units on roughly three city blocks can be described as "suburban". Some of the world's most intensely urban cities are primarily formed of mid rise buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland