HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:30 PM

210 Main Street East | ? | 10 fl | Proposed

210 Main Street East by davidcapizzano, on Twitter

The building would be a student residence. It is being proposed by the developer that built OneFortyNine Luxury Residences.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:50 PM

Where exactly is this proposed for, the location of the ugly Days Inn or whatever that hotel is?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Where exactly is this proposed for, the location of the ugly Days Inn or whatever that hotel is?
Yeah.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:20 AM

Ugly building replaced by ugly building! That's progress!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:48 AM
Ham-burgher

How I'd have said it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
Ugly building replaced by BIGGER ugly building! That's progress!

This may just be a preliminary concept, but I bet it will be much like the OneFortyNine development. At least the DRP is encouraging them to pretty it up and consider the local context:

Quote:
210 Main Street East

• Height: 10 storeys, 176 units, 56 parking spaces

• Design: U-Shape, retail front, parking rear

• Location: Days Inn at the Corner of Main Street East and Spring Street.

Panellist Robert Freedman praised the developers for presenting a "very urban building," which the city is trying to encourage. He noted that opting for rental units rather than condos was reflective of market trends.

Though the building, dubbed "The Scholar Luxury Residence" during the presentation, is targeted at students, anyone will be able to rent a unit in it, said developer Azim Kassam.

The panellists agreed the building could be improved from a design standpoint, especially through the incorporation of design elements that would spill over from the designated heritage building next door.

"There are some improvements that need to be done to be more sympathetic to the neighbourhood," said Colizza, who also recommended the developer consider building a few storeys higher, thereby eliminating the building's west wing.

That would eliminate proximity to the heritage building and the "looming mass overlooking their rear yards" for the neighbourhood behind the building, he said.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/67...tments-higher/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:54 AM

DavidCappi and I attend the meeting and one of the best comments the panelist's said, was that the building was too "Stalinist". The whole room broke out in laughter. I couldn't have agreed more with the sentiment.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
DavidCappi and I attend the meeting and one of the best comments the panelist's said, was that the building was too "Stalinist". The whole room broke out in laughter. I couldn't have agreed more with the sentiment.
Did the developer finish their presentation with "do svidaniya!"?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:39 PM

Strikes me as a little far from Mohawk and McMaster to gear it towards students, but I'm sure it would do fine.

How old is that Days Inn? I guess the same guy already owns it so the site makes sense for him.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
How old is that Days Inn? I guess the same guy already owns it so the site makes sense for him.
Looks like it was finished in August 2008.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140696

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
The building would be a student residence.
Perfect. It should be finished by the time the one bus that goes directly to McMaster is routed off campus. Thank you, Westdale.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:14 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
But it doesn't look Stalinist. Siberian worker city yes, but those were (mostly)Khrushchev's doing. Stalin was all about the fancy and ornate.(Near the end rebuilding after the war caused some corner cutting, but he still wanted things ornate.)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 1:57 AM

rant/ at what point will property values in this town be high enough that developers start building significant buildings? Has there been a single new building built during this so-called revival with any lasting value? Core Urban has done some nice redevelopments. Same with Treble Hall and even the Stinson school, on the outside. The new medical campus is ok. Rudy Hulst Commons and Good Shepherd square pretty nice. None of the above merit much of a second look. Every single Vranich project is a POS, father and son, new stadium is a POS, City Square is totally bland. Hamilton of the 2010s is looking exactly as horrible as Hamilton of the 1960s-70s. /rant

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:16 AM

Last edited by davidcappi; Jul 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:20 AM

This needs a thread title change. It's proposed at 15 floors now. No render/drawings yet.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:27 PM

Floor plans below. Still no elevations/renders. Architect is now Lintack so it should be decently better than the developer's previous building at 149 Main West.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:33 PM

15 storeys - are you kidding me?

I live directly behind the Days Inn and a building of this size in this location is going to have nothing but a negative impact for the 15 houses that will (literally) be in it's shadow. We are pretty much all townhouses or semi-detached and only have windows at the back (facing north east) and front (facing south west).

View from kitchen window and living room will be 100% building

View from only 2nd floor window in back

View from back deck - I could not zoom out enough to get in what would be the full perimeter of the building

View of the sun rising. The edge of the proposed building would go to where you see the man standing in the laneway

I can't even imagine what this will look like with the sheer height of this building 3m away from other properties - a 50m wall of brick rising straight up with no beautification or green space in between.

With the current apartment to the east (seen in pictures) and the subsidised apartment buildings directly to the west and across the street to the south (not shown) I feel like they are trying to confine us in some type of tall building box

Don't even get me started on the whole false "affordable housing" marketing of this project and asking for City of Hamilton subsidies to build this monstrosity behemoth https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2017/...-market-rates/. I'll be at the upcoming meeting to voice my concerns.

Last edited by exomesplice; Sep 9, 2017 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Fixing embedded images

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:34 PM

^ None of your images are showing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:15 PM

Nice variety of unit sizes and will be a nice replacement to the existing parking lot and days inn building. looking forward to seeing render

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:12 PM

Shadow impacts =/= loss of views. If you're south of the proposed site, the shadow impacts should be minimal and only experienced during early morning at specific times of year. The sun, if I'm not mistaken will hit the back of this building, not the side which fronts Main Street at all.

TBH the redesign of this building is way better than what is initially proposed. You're getting a grand total of two setbacks (3rd floor, 13th floor) + at least the developer isn't closing the alley (ala Main & Walnut)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
^ None of your images are showing.
Thanks for letting me know - should be fixed now.

I just think it's helpful to show these types of pictures when it comes to considering a proposal in conjunction with models or rendered images. Personal photos can provide a different perspective of the building and how it may fit into an area.

Just thought I would add to the discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton