HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:06 AM

4005 Strandherd Drive, Minto's new Barrhaven subdivision, 267 dwellings

Look like the 'Haven continues to grow at a torrid pace

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__05GQD7

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:48 AM
National Capital Region

Strange having that leftover house parcel in the middle of the commercial blocks.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:56 PM

^Must be some family refusing to sell thinking they can squeeze more out of the developer.. Will be tough to sell if the plans goes through as-is finally and they are left with this random house/farmhouse in the middle of big box land.

And yes Barrhaven has been growing a lot again... I wonder what the population numbers are sitting at now in Orleans vs. Kanata vs. Barrhaven.
And which ones are growing the fastest, slowest, etc...?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^Must be some family refusing to sell thinking they can squeeze more out of the developer.. Will be tough to sell if the plans goes through as-is finally and they are left with this random house/farmhouse in the middle of big box land.

And yes Barrhaven has been growing a lot again... I wonder what the population numbers are sitting at now in Orleans vs. Kanata vs. Barrhaven.
That remnant parcel is the farmhouse of the original owners that I assume Minto bought the rest of their land. They have kept a 5 acre parcel that is a strange shape and will become quite impractical over time to retain as a residential lot.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
2014 environics research data says 94,785 for Barrhaven and Riverside South combined. Riverside South is also currently undergoing a big housing expansion south of Earl Armstrong and East of Spratt Road.

http://www.ocna.org/files/Barrhaven%20Independent.pdf

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
That remnant parcel is the farmhouse of the original owners that I assume Minto bought the rest of their land. They have kept a 5 acre parcel that is a strange shape and will become quite impractical over time to retain as a residential lot.
You are right. I drive by this area everyday and this family (Clarke, as referenced in the PDF documents on the Ottawa Dev App link) has a huge property with lots of mature trees providing privacy/noise barrier from Strandherd/Cedarview Drive.

It will be interesting to see how they cope with the influx of people/cars moving right into their backyard, so to speak, whereas it is simply rolling farmlands at the moment.

Regardless, I have no doubt they have made a mint and have no regret, I will have to check the commercial transaction files (Johnson and Juneau?) later on and see when the transaction was conducted.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:

The Clarke family sold these parcels of land to Minto in 2009 (according to the Planning PDF on the Ottawa Dev App) and I can only found newsletters going back to 2011 on the JuteauJohnson website.

For your second questions, according to the website below, Barrhaven (including Gloucester-South Nepean ward) population for 2015 is 106,612. These are the 2nd and 3rd fastest growing wards in the city, compared to the previous year.

Kanata (including Kanata North and Kanata South) population is 84,964. Orleans population is 48,915. Keep in mind these are only estimates, we should have a more accurate number after the census this year

http://stittsvillecentral.ca/tag/food-trucks/

This is anecdotal (and I touched on it briefly in another thread) but I recently went through the process to rent a townhouse in Barrhaven and long story short, I received 92 unique inquiries in just a little bit over a month, from as far away as Vancouver and Calgary. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest people (across different socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds) have shown in settling down in this neck o' the woods.

I documented my journey as a small-time landlord looking for a new tenant on a financially-focused board and I believe another member of this forum, nredding, piped in a couple of times and provided his insight. I can PM you the link, if required.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Kanata (including Kanata North and Kanata South) population is 84,964. Orleans population is 48,915. Keep in mind these are only estimates, we should have a more accurate number after the census this year
Adding up ward populations like this isn't a very good way to compare the population of the population of the suburban areas because the ward boundaries don't align well to each area.

According to the 2015 Development Report, the populations are as follows:

Kanata-Stittsville: 116,777
South Nepean: 83,252
Riverside South: 14,145
Leitrim: 8,527
Orleans: 113,595

Link: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache...6100030546.PDF (refer to Table 3)

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Adding up ward populations like this isn't a very good way to compare the population of the population of the suburban areas because the ward boundaries don't align well to each area.

According to the 2015 Development Report, the populations are as follows:

Kanata-Stittsville: 116,777
South Nepean: 83,252
Riverside South: 14,145
Leitrim: 8,527
Orleans: 113,595

Link: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache...6100030546.PDF (refer to Table 3)
Your link gives a 404. I also don't think Stittsville should be considered part of Kanata (same as Riverside South for Barrhaven). It has its own ward and councilor.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Your link gives a 404. I also don't think Stittsville should be considered part of Kanata (same as Riverside South for Barrhaven). It has its own ward and councilor.
Sorry, try this instead:
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view....&fileid=363536

The city groups Stittsville and Kanata as one. Technically the "Stittsville" ward includes parts of the old City of Kanata, such as the Mattamy Fairwinds development. The Kanata West/Fernbank developments are essentially eliminating the physical separation between Stittsville and Kanata.

Last edited by TransitZilla; May 26, 2016 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 9:13 PM

A couple of my friends are looking to upsize from Westboro condo to Barrhaven single so they asked me to meet them at the Minto sales centre on Strandherd for discussions about lot selection, floor plans and things of that nature.

My friends told me Minto will release their newest Barrhaven community called Harmony on June 3rd and Minto expects people to line up outside, possibly overnight, to secure their desired lot. I have not heard about this since pre-2010 when people lined up to get their desired lot with Monarch in Stonebridge so I guess things must have really picked up this year.

I also picked up the price list for Quinn's Pointe, Minto's another Barrhaven community, and the base price has increased by $20K for the townhouses as I still have the price list from opening day 2 years ago. I suspect the same thing for their detached models, if not more.

P.S. For some reasons, Barrhaven is particularly attractive to Asians. While I was in the sales centre, I saw a steady stream of interested buyers coming in and all of them were Asians (Chinese and Indians or perhaps Sri Lankans, I could not tell the difference to be honest).

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
A couple of my friends are looking to upsize from Westboro condo to Barrhaven single so they asked me to meet them at the Minto sales centre on Strandherd for discussions about lot selection, floor plans and things of that nature.

My friends told me Minto will release their newest Barrhaven community called Harmony on June 3rd and Minto expects people to line up outside, possibly overnight, to secure their desired lot. I have not heard about this since pre-2010 when people lined up to get their desired lot with Monarch in Stonebridge so I guess things must have really picked up this year.

I also picked up the price list for Quinn's Pointe, Minto's another Barrhaven community, and the base price has increased by $20K for the townhouses as I still have the price list from opening day 2 years ago. I suspect the same thing for their detached models, if not more.

P.S. For some reasons, Barrhaven is particularly attractive to Asians. While I was in the sales centre, I saw a steady stream of interested buyers coming in and all of them were Asians (Chinese and Indians or perhaps Sri Lankans, I could not tell the difference to be honest).
I live in Riverside south and shop in Barrhaven regularly. the whole area is growing very very fast. riverside south's new phase is building homes on the south side of Earl Armstrong between Spratt and Limebank right now. They cleared half a forest recently for this project and about 100-200 homes are up and another 50+ foundations have been laid. I drove through there yesterday and there were a few new homeowners, including a large party playing cricket on the street.

Quinns Pointe seems to be going up fast. Travelling along Barnsdale now, you see the homes approaching but this is the most remote development, with the exception of Maghogany in Manotick

I do believe this Harmony project will sell very quick. Its location is close to the 416, close to the shopping district and just north of the Jock River where i assume there will be bike paths etc..

Yes, the south urban area is very popular with South Asians and South East Asians. There are good shopping options catering to their respective markets. But really, its just a very diverse area of the city-Barrhaven in particular. There's a synagogue and Jewish centre on Kennevale so its popular with the Jewish community too, and a really big Mosque is on Woodroffe. I really like the diversity of the area, it really gives it a good feel.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
I live in Riverside south and shop in Barrhaven regularly. the whole area is growing very very fast. riverside south's new phase is building homes on the south side of Earl Armstrong between Spratt and Limebank right now. They cleared half a forest recently for this project and about 100-200 homes are up and another 50+ foundations have been laid. I drove through there yesterday and there were a few new homeowners, including a large party playing cricket on the street.

Quinns Pointe seems to be going up fast. Travelling along Barnsdale now, you see the homes approaching but this is the most remote development, with the exception of Maghogany in Manotick

I do believe this Harmony project will sell very quick. Its location is close to the 416, close to the shopping district and just north of the Jock River where i assume there will be bike paths etc..

Yes, the south urban area is very popular with South Asians and South East Asians. There are good shopping options catering to their respective markets. But really, its just a very diverse area of the city-Barrhaven in particular. There's a synagogue and Jewish centre on Kennevale so its popular with the Jewish community too, and a really big Mosque is on Woodroffe. I really like the diversity of the area, it really gives it a good feel.
Most definitely! I think I mentioned in a number of previous threads that I have lived in Barrhaven for 10 years and I am still amazed at the pace of growth that is literally happening before my eyes!

We moved into Stonebridge about 5 years ago and I used to jog down the area that is now Quinn's Pointe. It was farmlands through and through as late as 2 years ago and now houses are everywhere! I believe the builders will expand all the way down to Prince of Wales and the 416 in the not-too-distant future.

I agree about the diversity this area is having. Now I can only hope there will be more ethnic restaurants around here! Barrhaven is not the best place for restos to survive as many families simply cook and eat at home during the weeks and people love to BBQ anytime they have a chance but with an increase in population, there will always be a demand for good food, services and prices!

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Most definitely! I think I mentioned in a number of previous threads that I have lived in Barrhaven for 10 years and I am still amazed at the pace of growth that is literally happening before my eyes!

We moved into Stonebridge about 5 years ago and I used to jog down the area that is now Quinn's Pointe. It was farmlands through and through as late as 2 years ago and now houses are everywhere! I believe the builders will expand all the way down to Prince of Wales and the 416 in the not-too-distant future.

I agree about the diversity this area is having. Now I can only hope there will be more ethnic restaurants around here! Barrhaven is not the best place for restos to survive as many families simply cook and eat at home during the weeks and people love to BBQ anytime they have a chance but with an increase in population, there will always be a demand for good food, services and prices!
Yeah, there are a few good restaurants but there could be more. If you like greek food, try Go4Greek. Owner is from Athens, they make their own Tzatziki in house; prices are good. Its a takeout joint, not a restaurant, but really good food.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:53 AM

My friend sent me this picture through FB, apparently folks have started camping outside Minto Sales Centre on Strandherd, waiting to secure their lot before the Harmony release date on Saturday!!

Word is these are hired hands.

share pic online

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:55 PM

If I ever camp out to buy a suburban dream, shoot me in the back of the neck.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 6:11 PM

Why are they lining up? Nearly every builder in the city has available lots pretty much everywhere. It's not like Minto is offering inspiring designs or construction standards.

If it's just a marketing stunt.. that seems like a poorly thought out idea to execute within spitting distance of people losing sleep at night trying to craft policy to tame the housing market.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 9:27 PM

I drove by the site on the way home and there were about 50 people lining up, lawnchairs, tents and all. Fast-flowing traffic on Strandherd so I could not stop or slow down to snap a picture.

One of my friend's wife is a realtor and he told me they may join the party a little bit later to line up. They believe the location is excellent for investment properties, walking distance to Home Depot, Independent's, Shoppers. Costco is a stone's throw away and the new water park coming in 2019 will be a good boost for the local areas. Some of the lot also backs on to ponds and parks and many people understandably prefer no neighbours in the back, if they can afford to do so.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:28 PM

Lining up is a strange thing to do for a suburban lot.. if the place is so attractive (compared to the many other subdivisions available in the city) that demand way exceeds available inventory, it makes sense to hike the prices until demand roughly matches.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:09 AM

The last time I heard about people lining up to get their hands on a desired lot prior to release was about 2008 when interested buyers wanted to secure lots backing onto the Stonebridge golf course in Barrhaven.

The global recession followed in 2009 and there were uncertainty about public service jobs under the previous regime so the Ottawa real estate market was in the doldrums for a good chunk. Glad to see it is picking up again.

Having lived in Barrhaven for the past 10 years, I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it is great to see property values staying steady and possibly going up and nice to see all the diversity around you. On the other hand, I hope the builders work with the City to ensure infrastructure and services are adequate to meet the population growth. Hopefully short-term pains for long terms gains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs