HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 3:50 PM

Brownstones On Augusta | ? | 4 fl | Under Construction

Source

Info:
- 6 luxury townhomes
- Each unit includes a private rear garage & elevated patio
- Prices starting from $429,900
- Units are 2,155 ft²
- Located on the corner of Augusta Street & Catherine Street South

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 6:34 PM
Hammer'd

Not terribly eye catching but infill is always good.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 11:49 PM

^Infill is pretty much always a good thing in the Hammer, rare bird that it is.

I do, however, want local architects/ developers to try to design buildings that reflect something of Hamilton's existing built heritage. 'Brownstones on Augusta'? The name 'brownstone' is synonymous with New York, not Hamilton.

It's not easy but you should be able to identify a new (urbanist) structure as being from city 'x' because it has incorporated elements of those historical buildings.

We're not Brooklyn. We're not even Hoboken - not even close.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; May 4, 2015 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:09 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Iron stone maybe?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:47 AM

^Good point. These townhouses aren't even brownstones so it does beg several questions:

*Will these buildings, in fact, be built from brownstone?

*If not, why call them brownstones?

*Does Hamilton not provide examples of Victorian era building typologies that could be drawn upon for inspiration? Why not take a little stroll around Corktown?

*What do we want this building to say about the neighbourhood/ city?

I'm being picky, yet again. I guess I just want more thoughtful and intelligent responses from our development community. Perhaps that's asking too much...

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 1:40 AM
Ham-burgher

Regardless of how it's marketed, it will be a fine addition to the street (how long has that lot been vacant?)

Eventual infill between John and James will be most welcome - I should think that it won't be long before we see proposals there, maybe 3-4 storeys with retail or restaurant/pub on the ground floor. Those parking lots have survived far too long.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:08 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm being picky, yet again. I guess I just want more thoughtful and intelligent responses from our development community. Perhaps that's asking too much...
It's good to be picky, but considering Toronto is still struggling with some of these things I wouldn't expect Hamilton to work it out too soon.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:54 AM

That lot has been empty for at least 3years since Ive moved on the street. Im guessing more though. I live in an old Victorian home a few houses down going west on the same side. I 've been hoping they would do something with that eye sore of a lot. My home is roughly 2000square feet same as these, that's a lot of space considering how close together the homes are from one another. Starting price seems right considering, 3 years ago my house was paid for at $243,900. The renos we have done and the area itself going up in value, the same house is now listed for $399,999 thanks mostly in part to the Toronto vibe coming though, especially in Corktown.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 3:21 AM

I don't get the hate. This building is a fine building, and looks like it'll fit really nicely into the city landscape.

This development literally ticks every box that people on this forum so desperately cling to. Brick construction, Mid rise, historic details, built to the sidewalk, infill.

But it's not Hamilton enough because they're using the name Brownstone to sell a townhouse (Geez, I bet this has never been done anywhere before ever)

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM

No doubt that using “Brownstone” to market this thing is terrible. It’s not the worst crime that a developer could commit, anyway, and everything else about the project looks great. This is just the type of thing we need as infill on this, and many other, streets.

Anyway, they’ll be referred to as “the townhouses planned on August” by me, since I’m not saying the other thing. But I like what the plans are for these towns. A lot.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:41 PM

I'm not picky. I think this is a great infill project.

Hamilton could do a heck of a lot worse than having a bunch of these pop up downtown.

We've come a long way from the turn of the millenium.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks almost identical to what's being built in Aldershot.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:55 PM

I actually sympathize quite a bit with the criticism, while I believe infill is absolutely essential to improving any city and I'm thoroughly glad another lot is being built upon, I'm getting a little tired of the suburban-style homes we're getting. I just hope and pray that this isn't another infill project in the core that has stucco side-walls and fake brick, frankly that doesn't do our built heritage any justice. Is it conceited or pessimistic to ask for real materials?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the material will be red bricks with stucco.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:12 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that, I guess in that case, I'd have to give it a 7/10. Meets more then than the minimal requirements, however does not excel in terms of fully honouring the historic community with sustainable and strong materials.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:23 PM

What are “sustainable” materials? Is brick more sustainable than stucco? Are wood-framed structures less sustainable? I understand they may be shorter-lived, but is that what is meant by “sustainable”? I am not being sarcastic; I am really asking.

I’m not one to say that we should collectively allow whatever to be put up wherever, but it does seem like an intrusion to dictate material choices to a developer except in very specific circumstances.

I wouldn’t consider this “suburban-style” as presented, and I’m surprised that certain material choices would be associated with suburbia. To me, suburbia is about form, and this isn’t suburban: minimal set-backs and good density make it urban enough, even if it won’t use the highest-quality materials.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Stucco just doesn't work for Hamilton or anywhere in Canada, might work for places like Phoenix were it's dry. Stucco after 10 years or so gets moldy and collects dirt.

Sherwood Secondary stucco example...

tyeman200
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=6818293

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Half decent infill raises prices and densities leading to higher end infill. What Hamilton is getting right now is the end of the bulldozing stage, so it's decent for what it is.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM

I have to say that I’m not a huge stucco fan, but I’ve inherited some in the past (not stuff that I had installed myself), and from my experience you can’t say that it “just doesn’t work in Canada.” It gets dirty, but it’s not difficult to clean (I can see this being a bigger challenge on bigger buildings). It has advantages, especially in the city: a house with stucco on it will be pretty quiet, and as I understand it the material is relatively resistant to fire.

I agree strongly with Beedok’s comment: we cannot expect stellar quality infill yet, and the first projects that are generally good will help to make really great projects economically feasible.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I don't get the hate. This building is a fine building, and looks like it'll fit really nicely into the city landscape.

This development literally ticks every box that people on this forum so desperately cling to. Brick construction, Mid rise, historic details, built to the sidewalk, infill.

But it's not Hamilton enough because they're using the name Brownstone to sell a townhouse (Geez, I bet this has never been done anywhere before ever)
i) So criticism is equivalent to hate in your mind? That's a terrible shame.

ii) None of us should be desperate - those days are gone. We now must ask more from our developers. In this case, I just don't like the name. The form is just fine.

iii) As an architectural enthusiast and amateur historian, I find the use of the name 'brownstone' mildly offensive. Seems a bit Disneyesque.

Like I said in an earlier post, any infill is good in the Hammer - I'm happy this seems to be going ahead. High expectations and informed criticism, however, are not bad things. Dying things, yes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton