HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 9:16 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Hawaii 1/2: The city Honolulu

Last month my cousin got married in Maui, so my wife and I went to Hawaii. We spent a couple of days in Honolulu, and then most of the trip on Maui. I'll give you one thread for each island. The Maui pictures turned out a lot better, but whatchagonnado. If you want to see more, the entire set of 540 pictures is on flickr.

First, a few stills from the plane.

Who wants to play guess the city? This isn't Hawaii. ColDayMan will know it for sure.

This is what the Grand Canyon looks like, if you forget to take your polarizing filter off your camera.

Guess the city #2. But seriously, if you are a regular on SSP you had better know this one right away.

Finally, Honolulu:

I took this from a moving airplane. I'm pretty proud of it, if I do say so myself

full size

Being city geeks, we wanted to see the actual city, not just the beach and jungle. So we stayed in Manoa, near the university, and spent the first day in downtown, Chinatown, and the Ala Moana area.

Our first stop was the mandatory Iolani Palace, only royal residence in the US.

From there, we walked into downtown proper.

There's a weird little pedestrian mall. The stuff along it wasn't very interesting, but there was a steady stream of locals all along the street.

Most of downtown doesn't look that different from any mid-sized downtown. Lots of heavy late 19th Century buildings. Lots of modernist office towers. Less surface parking than most similarly-sized American cities, though.

I didn't get a very good picture of Aloha Tower. But I went up it, so here you go.

full size

full size

The main spine for transit & pedestrians downtown and in Chinatown is Hotel Street, which is a transit mall. Buses are allowed, but no cars.

Honolulu has a pretty good bus system. Their first rail line is under construction now (or maybe about to be?), but obviously I didn't get to use it. We didn't rent a car in Honolulu, so we used the bus system to get around.

Chinatown is probably the most interesting urban part of Honolulu, at least among the areas we saw. It's a real functioning Chinatown. Not as good as San Francisco, but easily in the top 5 for US cities.

A good portion of Chinatown seems to be a series of outdoor markets. A lot of food, a lot of the typical trinkets you get in any Chinatown, and a lot of little convenience shops.

While in Chinatown I discovered Chrysanthemum Tea Drink. It's delicious and now I'm determined to scour Annandale (DC's suburban Asiatown) to find more of it. If Chrysanthemum Tea Drink is a 10/10 on the taste scale, all other drinks are negative 1,000,000 out of 10.

At the far end of Chinatown there's a little river. I forget the name. It's a very pleasant place to walk.

A few blocks upriver there's a botanical garden.

That is a big damn tree.

Closer inspection confirms the result. This is a big damn tree.

I did not know pineapple plants look like this.

Hawaii has weird birds. This is a Myna, which is just like a Starling except cuter.

Adorable little pigeons, half normal-pigeon size.

Waxbills.

A regal-looking bulbul...

... somewhat less regal-looking while snacking on a moth.

After the botanical gardens we hopped a bus to Ala Moana, a sort of uptown that surrounds a big shopping mall.

The road from downtown to Ala Moana:

Perpendicular to that, the main local street. Yes, that's an urban Walmart.

Behind the mall there's a public park on a peninsula that juts out into the ocean. We had dinner, then walked down the peninsula to watch the sunset.

full size

The next day we got up and went to Waikiki. That's the famous tourist beach lined with high-rises.

This is the view from the street in front of our airbnb room, in Manoa, looking towards Ala Moana.

Much to my surprise, being an east-coaster, Waikiki beach doesn't have a boardwalk.

The front street, Kalakaua Avenue, is lined with shops. But still, weird.

Back off the beach, in the neighborhood, it's very dense but not all that urban. Like a lot of Honolulu outside downtown. Manoa was similar.

This is a red-crested cardinal, as opposed to the typical northern cardinal we usually see on the mainland. Can you tell I like birds?

Let's go back to the beach.

I walked out to the end of a little pier to get this.

full size

From the pier I got a nice view of Diamond Head. It's a popular hiking destination with what I hear are killer views, but we didn't have time.

After taking that Diamond Head picture, I happened to look down into the water. This is what I saw. Really. Right next to the biggest, most popular, most famous beach in Hawaii.

It was only 3 or 4 feet long.

Back to the beach to watch the sunset.

And the moonrise.

After dark, the nightlife on Kalakaua Avenue picks up.

The next thread will cover Maui, but here's a parting shot from Honolulu:

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 10:23 PM

Honolulu looks great! Love downtown, don't think i had ever see it before now. I Look forward to the Maui pics, my brother just moved back to the mainland after living in Lahaina. I never did get to visit :/

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 11:30 PM

Great pictures! Thanks especially for showing us Downtown and Chinatown. I've always been curious as to what old urban Honolulu looks like. Also, those articulated buses are pretty sleek.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 12:06 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
While in Chinatown I discovered Chrysanthemum Tea Drink
I can get that stuff at my H-E-B store where I live in Texas. The rose one is good too. One of them is more sweetened, which is better.

Cashier thought I was f'ing nuts. flower soda, WTF right?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:31 AM

Great shots. I enjoyed the tour and the place is a lot of fun. I was there for two weeks and I had a chance to visit all of the islands. Even though Honolulu was a great place to visit, I did have a chance to drive all over Oahu and it was really a lot of fun. The views from Diamond Head are great, as well as from the National Cemetery of the Pacific. Overall, I preferred the other islands over Oahu.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:06 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Still no idea why I moved back to the mainland. Nice work, Dan. Did you actually go in any of the buildings/markets in Chinatown? Those markets don't stop at the sidewalk.

By the way, I have a Hawaiian bird book if you have any unidentified specimens you're curious about.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:56 AM

We went in 2 or 3, including the sort-of-famous Filipino market. Had lunch there, which was a great idea. Then used the bathrooms, which was not such a good idea.

I got a little $5 bird brochure that successfully identified all the ones I didn't know.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:54 AM
It could be worse!

Oh, you'd be lucky if this little guy bit off a toe.

I'm with bunt_q. Why the hell did I leave again? Ah, well... At least I live on the 9th island part-time.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 11:11 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Love it - we went in 2009, stayed in Waikiki next to the zoo. Like you said, even the typical 'street' birds are pretty!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:20 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Awesome tour and pictures of Hawaii! Love those idyllic islands. I´ve always dreamt about visiting them. Thanks for sharing, Cirrus.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 8:39 PM

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
Why the hell did I leave again? Ah, well... At least I live on the 9th island part-time.
What's the 9th island? Molokini? Midway? California? Uh... Honshu?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Overall, I preferred the other islands over Oahu.
Just out of curiosity, why? I have been to Maui and Kauai (I thought K was a little boring) and while I liked them, I've always found Oahu through all the photos I've seen to be a lot more exciting and offering the sort of beaches that I look for. In Maui, the beaches didn't have water that was clear enough, and the ocean seemed rather rough.

Oahu seems to have beaches all over the entire island that are crystal-clear and really gorgeous, plus they have a cool city you can check out. I'm dying to see Lanikai beach or whatever it's called.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 10:30 PM

So that's what pineapple plants look like... I really need to get familiar with this place. Some of those lowrise parts remind me of New Orleans and the highrise parts resemble parts of Miami.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 12:52 AM

Just got back yesterday myself. What a great island. I stayed over on the West Coast though.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:08 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
What's the 9th island? Molokini? Midway? California? Uh... Honshu?
Las Vegas/Nevada, mainly because of all the Hawaii expats that live there and because its a very popular destination for people from Hawaii to travel too.

Great pics btw!

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 4:04 AM

Honolulu looks like a fascinating city. Thanks for the great photos!

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
Registirred User

beaches are supposed to have board walks

you did good man, glad you made it out to Honolulu. I gotta get back myself

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 2:58 AM

Wow! A lot more interesting than I would have thought.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Just out of curiosity, why? I have been to Maui and Kauai (I thought K was a little boring) and while I liked them, I've always found Oahu through all the photos I've seen to be a lot more exciting and offering the sort of beaches that I look for. In Maui, the beaches didn't have water that was clear enough, and the ocean seemed rather rough.

Oahu seems to have beaches all over the entire island that are crystal-clear and really gorgeous, plus they have a cool city you can check out. I'm dying to see Lanikai beach or whatever it's called.
Lanikai beach is BEAUTIFUL - that is the best beach on Oahu, I've stayed there three times!

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:55 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

That's the closest you've probably been to my house.

Nice shots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos