HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
National Capital Region

The Clemow [275 Carling Ave] | 52m | 17f | U/C

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8568YD

Developer - Taggart
Architect - Roderick Lahey
Planner -FoTenn

Carling/Cambridge/Clemow

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 12:17 AM

Although it looks like other Roderick Lahey buidlings, I like it. Doesn't make me say, "Wow!", but it's good. That area around Little Italy is gonna be nice.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:33 AM

Is this guy the only architect ever available these days?

At least he is doing a decent job. Clean, modern and simple with good setbacks. Good realistic height that could be well served by a future streetcar line.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:53 AM
National Capital Region

I like the midrise feel of the area.... I think maybe 10 floors (8 plus 2 setback) would fit in a lot better.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I like the midrise feel of the area.... I think maybe 10 floors (8 plus 2 setback) would fit in a lot better.
Maybe. I might go more 16-18. But it could be worst; the way things are around Carling O-Train station, I'm suprised they didn't propose 30 floors (if it's 42 on the O-Train line, why not 30 here?).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
What are you talking about?! There won't be a midrise feel to this area in six years...there will be a North York/Square One Mississauga/Scarbourough Town Centre feel with s'loads of tall buildings...a 10 floor would be lost in the forest of tall buildings and the views would be terrible!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:07 PM
Citizen-at-large

Am I wrong, or is this Taggart's first foray into the condo market? If so, I hope they do well by this one, because a little more competition wouldn't hurt.

Overall I think this would be a good development. I wouldn't have it shorter, but I wouldn't have it taller either - this will be a good transition from the super-tall node that seems to be developing to the west to the mid and low-rise areas to the east and north. I think it will also nicely tie together the skyline from certain angles.

I'm really glad that there is going to be retail fronting on Carling (see the Planning Rationale). This is the sort of location where developers sometimes neglect to put retail, and by having it front on Carling, it will help to stitch together a better pedestrian sphere.

Interesting to note: they also own a bit of developable land to the east of the existing office tower, right on Bronson. At page 9 of the Urban Design Analysis report (in the planning rationale) a vague building form is shown of what they may put there.

Personally I think this is a pretty awesome location too. Walking distance to Little Italy, Dow's Lake, the Glebe, and much of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Interesting to note: they also own a bit of developable land to the east of the existing office tower, right on Bronson. At page 9 of the Urban Design Analysis report (in the planning rationale) a vague building form is shown of what they may put there.
yeah that was noteworthy; such an addition on the commercial building right up to the corner would really improve the 'urbanity' of the Carling-Bronson intersection.

The other thing I can't help but note in those illustrations on pages 9 and 11 are the profiles of all of the other hypothetical future buildings: everyone else will build their building exactly as the zoning calls for, while my building soars gracefully above them all. It's a pretty cynical move that I seem to see in the vast majority of these (Lahey frequently says as much when describing his proposed projects, e.g., see his quotes on SoHo Italia, so it's no surprise that he draws them that way).

Conversely I really appreciated the honesty in reading Phil Castro's planning Rationale for 159-167 Parkdale, which showed a building identical to 99 Parkdale in the development lot next door (even though nothing's been proposed there, yet), so readers know that in the near future, there would likely be 3 28-storey towers on those two blocks of Parkdale if the proposal is approved.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
What are you talking about?! There won't be a midrise feel to this area in six years...there will be a North York/Square One Mississauga/Scarbourough Town Centre feel with s'loads of tall buildings...a 10 floor would be lost in the forest of tall buildings and the views would be terrible!
This is essentially Carling and Bronson. Its Bronson neighbours are things like Domicile's Second Avenue West and the Charlesfort Lofts. It's definitely a midrise neighborhood at present.

The higher buildings seem to be going in further west close to Preston and the transit station.

The building immediately adjacent is 8 floors and the tallest thing for blocks. 10 with a podium seems a better fit.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:39 PM

I like it, and think that it wouldn't be so bad in that location, even at that height. Likely, it will be approved for 12-15 floors...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:29 PM

I live in the Lebreton/Bell/Cambridge 'hood (easily one of the most forgotten neighbourhoods in the inner city), and it's amazng the number of mid to highrise apartment buildings in the area. You don't realize they are there because no one drives through there - everyone bypasses that neighbourhood.

So, this won't look out of place, except for the fact it is new and modern, and there is little in that hood that fits the bill. Great spot for a building of that size - near the park and useful transit routes.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I live in the Lebreton/Bell/Cambridge 'hood (easily one of the most forgotten neighbourhoods in the inner city), and it's amazng the number of mid to highrise apartment buildings in the area. You don't realize they are there because no one drives through there - everyone bypasses that neighbourhood.
True, it's a forgotten area, and one with a ton of potential. Walking westward towards Preston for an evening pint, I find myself penciling in buildings in the gaps along the North side of Carling. There are several surface parking lots and at least one unused "lawn". As the area around Preston grows up, I hope these fill in too, and not just with condos, with retail and office space.

I like the stacked towns in the podium of this building too. We need families in our cities, not just singletons. As single family homes are replaced by multi-units, we'll need attractive options for when the current condo-cohort starts to breed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:18 PM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
National Capital Region

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Feb 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:30 AM
National Capital Region

was deferred, now back at planning committee

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 12:19 AM

Now approved
Quote:
New tower approved for Carling Avenue

Stephanie Kinsella
Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ottawa's city hall planning committee unanimously approved an 18 storey condo tower for 265 Carling Avenue. The greenlight came even after getting an earful of opposition from almost a dozen residents at today's meeting.

It would replace the current 8 storey office building, and house 156 units with shops along the main level.

Resident Sue Stefko fumed that the city isn't sticking to its own rules. "However, the opinion of the citizens of the area and the ward councillor supports 9 storeys. We reject more. Do these opinions count?"

Capital ward Councillor David Chernushenko also argued the project was out of scale for that location, close to where Carling and Bronson Avenues intersect. "Eighteen storey buildings is not the neighbourhood. Five or six of these buildings and no one will want to move in to enjoy the neighbourhood."

But the chair of the planning committee, Peter Hume, argued that the Bronson and Carling location is better than trying to force a tower into an area that is only made up of homes.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 1:27 AM
Closed account

I'm quite intrigued by the interest in redevelopping this part of the city. Little Italy and Booth will be an interesting place to be living once all of the buildings along Carling go up.

In any case, I'm surprised (despite NIMBYism) that these projects are rejected because they "clash with the current neighbourhoods' low-rise identities". This entire area is squalid and lousy with unpleasant buildings. There are a few that are decent, and some good recently-constructed homes, but for the most part this area does need to experience a beautification. Explore this area on Google maps (or in person) and then jump over Bronson to the Glebe: a mighty big change in buildings and wealth.

I like this project very much, although the design could be better.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 7:25 PM

The area will look and feel awesome 10 years from now, especially with a low scale, pedestrian "Geological District" (Ottawa's Booth Street complex version of the Distillery District) and modern, varied high-rises and skyscrapers around.

But with the O-Train conversion (hopefully with direct to downtown service) and the Carling tram, I feel like we are putting the cart before the horse.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 12:42 AM

"Foundry District"!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:01 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa